Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • zippychick
    • By zippychick 4th Jun 11, 11:19 AM
    • 9,343Posts
    • 17,889Thanks
    zippychick
    • 4th Jun 11, 11:19 AM
    4th Jun 11 at 11:19 AM
    Hi everyone,

Welcome to the first Grocery Challenge of 2012

If your new month starts early feel free to join this thread, or if you're still working on your December budget, then keep on posting in the December Grocery Challenge

As always this challenge is to reduce your own grocery budget to levels that you will be pleased with, not forgetting that we always recommend that you stay inside your own comfort levels and take things gently one step at a time. Remember that this is not a competition....it's designed to take you and your grocery spending to a level you are happy with.

If you are new to the challenge I have quoted the advice from Galtizz below which will help you get started.

Please post into this thread for help and advice and support at any time. Good luck to everyone taking part!

I have said this before, but for all the newbies to the challenge;

For the first month I took a guess at the budget but I really had no idea how much I was spending.

I found the best thing is to have a guess the first month but SAVE ALL OF YOUR RECEIPTS (and yes, that does include the ones from the local shop when you run out of milk ), then at the end of the month add them all up and have a look if you were on budget, if not, it doesn't matter because your budget was a guess. For the next month you can use the total of your receipts and take a bit off to get a realistic budget, just shave off as much as you think you can, it could be £1 a week or £20 a week.

If you are currently spending £200 a month don't suddenly drop it to £100 - you'll never do it but if you cut £20 a month off for a few months you'll get there eventually without feeling you're missing out on anything.

You might think you've done everything you can in the first month but someone always comes up with a new idea and, if you try it you often find you save a bit more (unless you are SarahSaver who is an expert at this and could only save more if she turned her back garden into a paddy field and lived on rice ) In the first month I thought, I'm planning meals, I couldn't possibly save any more, but then I started double cooking and freezing, and making soup instead of buying it in tins.

I've been doing this since Feb but only saved ALL of my receipts last month, it has given me a much better idea of where it is all going. Budget for next month is £80 for 2 of us, I'll start on 30/4. I could probably save more, by eating different foods but I can afford to live on £80, I have saved a lot of money since Feb. and I don't waste food or money any more. So I'm happy with my budget.
    For quidelines on posting in this thread please read the second post in this thread.

For the Grocery challenge Recipe Index please see posts #3, #4, #5 and #6 on this thread.

For everyones totals, see post #7 on this thread

I hope everyone has a great month!

Zip
    Last edited by zippychick; 27-12-2011 at 12:52 PM.
    A little nonsense now and then is relished by the wisest men
    Norn Iron club member #380

Page 48
  • rosieben
    tigerfeet, your Gluten Free Banana Bread is in the list
    ... don't throw the string away. You always need string!

C.R.A.P.R.O.L.L.Z Head Sharpener
    • annem38
    • By annem38 4th Jan 12, 9:57 PM
    • 107 Posts
    • 1,637 Thanks
    annem38
    hi all, well thought i would be coming on here to announce another NSD only to find a receipt on the table when i got in from work from waitr*se for 7.69 for stuff i don't remeber asking oh to pick up, still at least he left me the receipt so i can keep track!

love hearing about all your great bargains, should really trawl waitr*ose on the way home from work EVERY night but think i may get sucked into buying all their other lovely stuff

anyhoo, good luck to anyone trying to give up smoking, did it just over 6 years ago by reading the allan carr book, took a couple of attempts ( head has to be in the right place) but when i finally decided i just did it, and yep, the best mse thing i ever did, to put it in perspective, a work colleague thought i "was mad" spending 19 quid on a work skirt from kew (reduced from 65) even though we aare expected to look excellent all the time, yet she smokes up to 40 a day she buys one tailor made pack a day and the rest are roll ups, so spends approx £200 a month on the habit, i must try harder to help her give up methinks

anne
    • PennyGrabber
    • By PennyGrabber 4th Jan 12, 10:04 PM
    • 1,268 Posts
    • 22,438 Thanks
    PennyGrabber
    NSD grocery wise for me today. But, my motorbike has had to go to hospital, and it may be terminal! So annoying, as I'm trying to sell it... (long story)

Got my Aus friend round for fish and chips tom, which will not be counted in the budget. It's our last supper, and i'm calling it a present to her! It'll only be about £10 for the six of us, anyway.

Was really cross this evening. I opened a pack of wraps on Mon eve, and they're well within date, but i just had to chuck out 4 of them, as they were mouldy! I'm mostly cross, because I actually paid full price for them! I wouldn't feel so bad if they had been a great YS! They were only ald! or lid!, but still.

Friday will most prob be a nsd too, as it's swimming lessons for the ch, so no time. We'll have a quick easy meal then, like toasties/cheese on toast/tom soup or the like, and then our two main meals at the weekend are hm pizza and hm chicken nuggets. Feels really unhealthy saying that, but it's not! I love it!!!

Will end up spending on one of the weekend days, as I'll need fruit and yogs for packups next week, plus usual bread and milk. (Not bought a panny yet - won't now this month after the bike incident today ).

Enjoy the rest of the week everyone, I'm off to bed now!

PG x
    Grocery challenge for family of three - me, dd(12) and ds(11), feeding dp 2 or 3 x a week too. Only food, not toiletries. Jan £87.97/£100 Feb £0/£100
    Frugal 2018 needed! Saving and NOT spending
  • SAVVYMUMMY
    hi savvy theres a good offer on at mr t's £3 for 18 rolls
    Originally posted by lemmings1986
    Thanks for that lemmings.
    Grocery Challenge 2013: July week 1 £90/£87.41
    week 2 £90.00/£118.38 week 3 £90/£60.54week4 £90/£79.90 week5 £45/£00
    End of mortgage april 2030
    Mortgage overpayment from june 2013 aiming for £400 a month: £451
    Emergency fund 2013 from june £70
    • Fiasco55
    • By Fiasco55 4th Jan 12, 10:08 PM
    • 1,345 Posts
    • 15,364 Thanks
    Fiasco55
    Managed a NSD today and hopefully it will be the first of many this month.

Ended up with a tin of soup that with a BBE Jan for my dinner tonight.

I am a day shift tomorrow so it will be a packed lunch with a square wrap from the freezer with some ham and cheese leftover from my cheese board the other day. I have a friend coming over for dinner tomorrow night so it will be chicken pesto pasta with garlic bread. We will end up at M & S after dinner for some sale rumaging with a glance at the yellow stickers in the food hall.
    No buying toiletries Graduated May 2017

Decluttered 2016 2469 items, 2017 1580 items
    2018 3060 items

Sealed Pot Challenge No 038
    • JillD
    • By JillD 4th Jan 12, 10:24 PM
    • 1,768 Posts
    • 26,385 Thanks
    JillD
    You could blanche the celery and freeze it chopped up and then add some of it to soups and stews, straight from the freezer.
    Originally posted by Libretia*
    Genius plan, thanks !
    I have 3 heads of celery (keep buying, forget to eat) - so its 1 lot for soup, 1 lot for kids lunchboxes (they like it with cream cheese which I also have) and 1 lot for the freezer. Thanks
    Jan GC: £202.65/£450 (as of 4-1-12)
    NSDs: 3
    Walk to school: 2/47
    Bloater challenge: £0/0lbs

• NickJW
    • By NickJW 4th Jan 12, 10:43 PM
    • 678 Posts
    • 13,646 Thanks
    NickJW
    Hi All

Change in plan for dinner tonight - I got home and my flatmate had used the eggs to make egg mayo for bagels tomorrow. So I'll have got the last 2 bagels out of the freezer for tomorrow and will have the other ready made from the freezer on Friday.

Tonights dinner was a vague variation of a recipe I've done before with pork fillets, but I made my own variation on it with what I had in. I've posted the recipe below, so I don't forget it!! Absolutely no idea what to call it though so I'm using the ingredients for the name!

Sweet lime, soy and chilli pork

> Dry fry a tablespoon of sesame seeds for a couple of minutes until toasted, then set aside in a bowl
    > Boil a pan of water to start cooking enough plain (I used basmati) rice for 2 ppl, whilst everything else is being prepared/cooked, and stop it as soon as it's ready.
    > Meanwhile, in another bowl mix 1 tablespoon of cornflour and 2 tablespoons of soy sauce together. Then add half a de-seeded red chilli (or seeded if you like it hot!), half a lime juiced, 2 tablespoons of honey and a third of a mug of water. Add the sesame seeds, mix together and keep aside
    > Slice 2 pork lion steaks, one pepper (any colour) and one small onion - fry these with groundnut oil with a handful of green beans (or mangetout/sugar snap etc), until cooked - about 10 minutes. Once ready pour in the sauce mixture, until it's syrupy - about 5 minutes.
    > Serve on plates with rice

One annoying spend - £1.20 on a bottle of Lucozade Sport from the gym since I forgot to bring a bottle from a multipack offer at home with me! Have updated my sig.

On the smoking note - another guilty one here, I REALLY noticed it today. I have been a bit rubbish going to the gym recently and unfortunately over the Christmas/NY period I overdid smoking and drinking . It was really painful pushing myself on the machines, which was quite scary since I've never felt this unhealthy before! I've dragged out my Niquitin (sp) patches and will start using them again tomorrow. I hope I feel a bit of difference when I go to the gym again tomorrow, and it will spur me on. Good luck to everybody and hears to a healthy and prosperous 2012!
    Grocery Challenge 14 Jan 14 £46.05/£130

Grocery Challenge 13 -spent £1453.06
    Grocery Challenge 12 -spent £1565.51

DFD 1st March 2011
  • WelshDreamer
    A naughty spend after slimming world tonight £3.45 tut tut...
    march Grocery Challenge 2012 £187.00/£285
    Weekly spend 11th march £0.00/£20.00
    5/17 NSD march
    10/14lb..2012 loss...1st/5st
  • arrowlili
    i've managed 3 NSD's so far, made my first ever sourdough loaves, made yogurt and jam tarts for the kids
    eating way better at the mo and i can't remember the last time i spent so little on groceries
    [CENTER]NDS Feb 2012 - 17/17
    Feb 2012 GC - £97.63/£380
    SPC # 1584 & Frugal Living Challenge 2012
    £2012 in 2012 £120/£2012
    £365 in 365 days 2012 - £56/£365
    • tigerfeet2006
    • By tigerfeet2006 5th Jan 12, 6:35 AM
    • 13,822 Posts
    • 29,889 Thanks
    tigerfeet2006
    Morning troops!! Feel dead on my feet this morning, the wind was so bad last night. We have french doors as our bedroom windows and a great big open space in front of them that the wind blows straight across and buffets against the window and whistles through every nook and cranny.

I have a MrT delivery due today between 8am and 10am. What's the betting that it won't come till nearly 10am. The order will be somewhere in the region of £110, which sounds a lot but I have dinner for around 17 main meals from that plus lunches and breakfast etc. for a week or so. So all I will need is top ups.
    BSCno.87
    The only stupid question is an unasked one
    Loving life as a Kernow Hippy
    • dreamingofmoney
    • By dreamingofmoney 5th Jan 12, 7:13 AM
    • 419 Posts
    • 4,753 Thanks
    dreamingofmoney
    Good Morning All

I read more than i post, so you'll have to forgive me, but you have so much knowledge to share, and i haven't really haha

So far my monthly spend is £63.97. May only need a top up shop til Sun when i will do a half top up/half big shop if you know what i mean

Take Care

Dreamer
    Paying back 1% at a time 79% of total debt paid off.
    No. 82 PAYDBX19 £5794.39/£13000 of debt paid from this years goal 44.6%
    Hfax loan, Bcard £438/£5852.07 7.5% Lloyd’s £250/£592.99 42.1%
    Debt free date Mar 2020.
  • rosieben
    NickJW, I've added your Sweet lime, soy and chilli pork recipe to the index
    ... don't throw the string away. You always need string!

C.R.A.P.R.O.L.L.Z Head Sharpener
    • janiepopps
    • By janiepopps 5th Jan 12, 7:20 AM
    • 69 Posts
    • 1,335 Thanks
    janiepopps
    Off to do my first shop of the year today armed with priced up list which comes to £14.92. Am taking my full weeks money with me as would love to find some chicken, turkey or beef reduced for the freezer.

Was clearing the kitchen last night and found a pan with some steamed root veg in. Was so tempted to feed it to the chooks, but resisted and tonight it will be fried till crisp in a little oil & butter and served with some spicy potato wedges and fried eggs (oh, and baked beans for the bean monster).

What I'm finding most amazing is that although I am following a meal plan, I have to keep pushing back the days as I'm continuously using up leftovers before making a whole new dish. Love it!

I can't quite believe how addicted to this thread I am, still not sure what I find so interesting about other peoples shopping lists, but I'm hooked

Have a great day and stay safe in those winds x
    Jan '12 GC; £74.66/£100
    £2 saver club member #107
    • mrs-moneypenny
    • By mrs-moneypenny 5th Jan 12, 7:31 AM
    • 15,518 Posts
    • 198,189 Thanks
    mrs-moneypenny
    morning all
    nsd yesterday but had to get soya milk and bananas on tuesday so got to add them to my spends,
    yesterday was jacket pots for lunch and lindaMc sausages with potato croquettes and asparagus for tea spent so much of the day de-christmasing the house didnt really think about food till DH got home so grabbed something out of the freezer quick the asparagus was a new years eve bargain from morrys - two bunches for 50p so was happy with that
    SPC~12 ot 124

In a world that has decided that it's going to lose its mind, be more kind my friend, try to Be More Kind
    • patentgirl
    • By patentgirl 5th Jan 12, 7:40 AM
    • 886 Posts
    • 12,313 Thanks
    patentgirl
    Morning all

Love the recipe Nick sounds fab and easy, Did my first shop yesterday after have 3NSDs in January so far quite annoyed with myself but unfortunatley we have to eat!
    Since I was made redundant end of the year I am now trying not to do one big shop a week as found was throwing stuff away buying too many offers not having enough room in either fridge or freezer so now I am going shopping every couple of days and so far appears to be working alot better spending far less and because of having extra time I am trying to go back to butchers,green grocers,£land, fish shop instead of just popping into supermarket so spend so far is £15.47 since Dec 26 start of my budget
    Good luck everyone
    February grocery challenge £200
    • mrs-moneypenny
    • By mrs-moneypenny 5th Jan 12, 7:52 AM
    • 15,518 Posts
    • 198,189 Thanks
    mrs-moneypenny
    read an article in essentials this morning a coupe were trying to get their spending in check the man made the rules that they lived by for a month, basically she had to do only one shop a week at tescos that had to be done instore to save the £5 delivery fee, no topup shops if you havent got it you do without, no meals out or takeaways and no makeup or pressies for kids partties over £5.
    i think they would have saved more if she came on here a few times and checked out this thread.
    suprised no mention was made of batch baking or shopping later and checking out reduced sections or price checking
    SPC~12 ot 124

In a world that has decided that it's going to lose its mind, be more kind my friend, try to Be More Kind
    • SueP19
    • By SueP19 5th Jan 12, 8:30 AM
    • 1,706 Posts
    • 14,488 Thanks
    SueP19
    read an article in essentials this morning a coupe were trying to get their spending in check the man made the rules that they lived by for a month, basically she had to do only one shop a week at tescos that had to be done instore to save the £5 delivery fee, no topup shops if you havent got it you do without, no meals out or takeaways and no makeup or pressies for kids partties over £5.
    i think they would have saved more if she came on here a few times and checked out this thread.
    suprised no mention was made of batch baking or shopping later and checking out reduced sections or price checking
    Originally posted by mrs-moneypenny
    ???? Did she save lots money or was it a case they ate like sparrows for a month

My OH has no idea and the only time he has come shopping with me, it was £25 more
    Mort Oct 15 £70,353 £66,422 £58,804 MF Dec 31 Jun 31(191 176 mnths)
    EF 2016 £700/£1,000 Debt May 09 £30,217Oct 17 £14,093Nov 18 £6,336.12[/B]
    • jedi82
    • By jedi82 5th Jan 12, 8:34 AM
    • 406 Posts
    • 3,548 Thanks
    jedi82
    Morning everyone, haven't been on in a few days as haven't spent anything on groceries (except 79p for a bottle of water for DH to take to work to keep refilling) since last big shop on Friday. I have done my online order for MrT to be delivered tomorrow and although it is £100 again, I am confident that the next two weeks will be a lot lower so will stay within my £350 target.

I did go to Boots yesterday and spent £13.03 on vitamins but am not going to include that in my grocery budget as my lot have been so poorly over christmas that at the mo I think it is a neccessity.

Have a good day. Jedi x
    Finally getting my life on track. Onwards and upwards.
    BSC No 327
    GC Jan £336.91/£450
    GC Feb £0/£400
  • rachbc
    sort of a NSD yesterday - though my DS13 is back from 3 weeks abroad so we got Domino's - hubby paid out of his money thoguh so I'm counting that as entertainment budget rather than grocceries!
    People seem not to see that their opinion of the world is also a confession of character.
    Ralph Waldo Emerson
    • mrs-moneypenny
    • By mrs-moneypenny 5th Jan 12, 8:42 AM
    • 15,518 Posts
    • 198,189 Thanks
    mrs-moneypenny
    ???? Did she save lots money or was it a case they ate like sparrows for a month

My OH has no idea and the only time he has come shopping with me, it was £25 more
    Originally posted by SueP19
    didnt really save much
    week 1 savings
    £5 on home delivery charge,
    packed lunches for week saved £25 (but didnt say shed taken into account extra food bought)
    frozen food Vs takeaway pizza saved £18
    week 2
    low key family birthday party for childs 2nd birthday instead of hiring village hall and having caterers saved £180 --really who would for a 2nd birthday anyway?
    no top up shop saved £20 --but they had fish fingers and hash browns two nights running

week 3
    oil of olay vs dermaogica when shed run out saved £15
    using the sunday roast when friends came over instead of having baby sitter and going out saved £15 but they had frozen steak and kidney pie for sunday lunch

week 4
    no blowdry (did own hair) saved £25
    no waxing (bought diy strips) saved £15
    no professinal manicure (did own nails) saved £6
    child ill so couldnt go to minders or any pay for outing so went libaray instead saved £6
    buying a nephew a cheaper birthday pressie ( a cattapault instead of an etchasketch) saved £5

says total saving for month were £365 but doesnt mention food shopping apart from first week the last week seems like the only money spent was preparing to go to a 40th birthday
    SPC~12 ot 124

Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

219Posts Today

2,543Users online

Martin's Twitter