Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • zippychick
    • By zippychick 4th Jun 11, 11:19 AM
    • 9,343Posts
    • 17,889Thanks
    zippychick
    • 4th Jun 11, 11:19 AM
    4th Jun 11 at 11:19 AM
    Hi everyone,

Welcome to the first Grocery Challenge of 2012

If your new month starts early feel free to join this thread, or if you're still working on your December budget, then keep on posting in the December Grocery Challenge

As always this challenge is to reduce your own grocery budget to levels that you will be pleased with, not forgetting that we always recommend that you stay inside your own comfort levels and take things gently one step at a time. Remember that this is not a competition....it's designed to take you and your grocery spending to a level you are happy with.

If you are new to the challenge I have quoted the advice from Galtizz below which will help you get started.

Please post into this thread for help and advice and support at any time. Good luck to everyone taking part!

I have said this before, but for all the newbies to the challenge;

For the first month I took a guess at the budget but I really had no idea how much I was spending.

I found the best thing is to have a guess the first month but SAVE ALL OF YOUR RECEIPTS (and yes, that does include the ones from the local shop when you run out of milk ), then at the end of the month add them all up and have a look if you were on budget, if not, it doesn't matter because your budget was a guess. For the next month you can use the total of your receipts and take a bit off to get a realistic budget, just shave off as much as you think you can, it could be £1 a week or £20 a week.

If you are currently spending £200 a month don't suddenly drop it to £100 - you'll never do it but if you cut £20 a month off for a few months you'll get there eventually without feeling you're missing out on anything.

You might think you've done everything you can in the first month but someone always comes up with a new idea and, if you try it you often find you save a bit more (unless you are SarahSaver who is an expert at this and could only save more if she turned her back garden into a paddy field and lived on rice ) In the first month I thought, I'm planning meals, I couldn't possibly save any more, but then I started double cooking and freezing, and making soup instead of buying it in tins.

I've been doing this since Feb but only saved ALL of my receipts last month, it has given me a much better idea of where it is all going. Budget for next month is £80 for 2 of us, I'll start on 30/4. I could probably save more, by eating different foods but I can afford to live on £80, I have saved a lot of money since Feb. and I don't waste food or money any more. So I'm happy with my budget.
    For quidelines on posting in this thread please read the second post in this thread.

For the Grocery challenge Recipe Index please see posts #3, #4, #5 and #6 on this thread.

For everyones totals, see post #7 on this thread

I hope everyone has a great month!

Zip
    Last edited by zippychick; 27-12-2011 at 12:52 PM.
    A little nonsense now and then is relished by the wisest men
    Norn Iron club member #380

Page 44
    • Outdoorlass
    • By Outdoorlass 4th Jan 12, 1:34 PM
    • 307 Posts
    • 1,127 Thanks
    Outdoorlass
    Hey all

I would like to be put down for £300 please, payday is 28th to 28th but I don't count anything spent Xmas week as that comes from my Xmas money so, only counting spends from 1 Jan Which so far is £12.50. We are a family of 4, 2 adults, 2 teens, OH and I are both on a strict low fat diet due to medical reasons so that complicates things a bit we are trying to eat as much from cupboards and freezer this month in order to spend as little as possible on food, I need to start saving & the only funds I can do this with is food money, as DD1 is off to college this coming year and they want £685 travel money upfront in one payment in August, YIKES
    Last edited by Outdoorlass; 04-01-2012 at 1:39 PM.
    grocery challenge Sept 2012 £21/£399
    • Florenceem
    • By Florenceem 4th Jan 12, 1:51 PM
    • 3,996 Posts
    • 52,590 Thanks
    Florenceem
    hi all hope everyone is well,
    im not too sure about the carrots lush i would say no but really not sure someone will be a long in a minute to help.
    just a quick update went to a**i today for mushroom and onions and two jars of pasta bake so spent £3.22
    then went to mrt's and bought 2 bags of reduced stirfry for tea 2moro for£1 some finest chorizo £2.50 and some ham 61p and garlic bread 64p im not counting the tesco shop as i got a money card this morning from them sent in the post i rang head office the other week about a indian takeaway meal thing i got it was half eaten couldnt believe it so they sent me a £6 giftcard
    and the money had been taken out from other weeks budget so not counting it twice if that makes sense.
    were having pasta bake for tea with chorizo,onion,mushrooms a bit of garlic and lots of cheese on top and garlic bread i have made this before but just wondering can i freeze it if theres any left???
    so £3.22 to add so spent a total of £7.74 since friday so £7.26 left to last til friday very doable as i dont need anything but not sure what to do with the money left over each week?? what does every1 else do when theyve got money left over ??
    Originally posted by lemmings1986
    I have been saving left over shopping money - started twelve weeks ago - got £130.29 so far in a pot.
    15 in 2015 1/15
  • majjak
    Going to have a NSD here, mainly due to the fact that this darn cold won't go ! Need to stay in the warm so no whoopsie hunts for me tonight.

Had porridge here too for brekki. Got a fair bit of the oat so simple honey to use after I stocked up when it was on offer and combined it with a coupon.

Lunch was crackers with philly and some fruit. Not very hungry so just trying to eat to keep strength up.

Dinner is meatballs and spaghetti (whoopsied meatballs were 44p per pack of 12 ) total cost for 6 of us is approx £2.50, would be less but I've used up all my H/M tomato sauce so had to buy one. Plan to grow lots more this year to reduce food bill further. Can't wait for Spring planting time
    Save £12K challenge 2015 # 173
    £0.00/£10,000
  • bupster
    Needed fruit and didn't want to go to hugely expensive Tesco Express near work (City of London - I think they must have an extra 'they won't even notice the price' banding for my nearest) so I went to my big Tescos on the way back from picking up some freecycled stuff (hanging files - dead expensive to buy). Spent £3.54 on six apples, five bananas (why are bananas so cheap?) and four whoopsied yoghurts, plus a lettuce to bulk out dinners with a bit of salad, and two value mozzarella things to freeze.

I need to stop going into supermarkets though. I know I'm not spending much, but I don't really need to spend anything - the sky wouldn't have fallen if I'd gone without apples for a couple of days.

Now sitting wrapped in two blankets while I wait for the heating to kick in - fed up of being frugal and freezing
    Grocery challenge - April £65.28/£80
    Entertainment - £79

Grocery challenge March £106.55/£100
    Grocery challenge February £90.11/£100
    Grocery challenge January £84.65/£300
    • franby64
    • By franby64 4th Jan 12, 2:22 PM
    • 894 Posts
    • 10,920 Thanks
    franby64
    Hi

I haven't bought too much this year but now the post-Christmas eating up has (finally ) stopped I'll have to take stock.
    I had an As*a shop today for basics and will make a plan for January tonight - I'll have to get back into the habit of cooking after a week of being either cooked for or eating turkey/ham/pate/camembert sandwiches!
    Starting weight on 22/6 14st 00lbs. Weight on 15/2 10st 11lbs. Lost 3st 3lbs.Target 9st 12lbs. 13lbs left.
  • tracey12
    I would love to see the banana bread recipe. My usual one has milk so I can't eat it. Not entirely a bad thing, but it would be nice to indulge sometimes!
    Originally posted by LondonDreamer
    Gluten-free, egg-free and dairy-free banana bread

Makes 1 loaf

225g gluten-free white bread flour
    2 level tsp baking powder
    50g margarine
    50g demerara sugar
    3-4 ripe bananas, mashed

Preheat oven to 180ºc/gas mark 4.

Sift the flour and baking powder into a large bowl, then use your fingertips to rub in the marg.

Add the sugar and mashed bananas and beat together to add some air. Pour the mixture into a well greased and floured loaf tin.

Bake for 45 mins. Leave to cool in the tin for 10 mins then transfer to a wire rack to cool completely.
    Officially debt free
  • rosieben
    ...I couldn't work out how to put 2 quotes in 1 reply , help please! ... Pixie
    Originally posted by Pixie Fairydust
    click on the orange balloon at the bottom of each post you want to reply to;
    when you're read to reply just press the Quote button
    Last edited by rosieben; 04-01-2012 at 3:02 PM.
    ... don't throw the string away. You always need string!

C.R.A.P.R.O.L.L.Z Head Sharpener
    • elly2
    • By elly2 4th Jan 12, 2:49 PM
    • 553 Posts
    • 5,227 Thanks
    elly2
    Small spend today of £11 (rounded up figure the change goes in my pot) this also included 2 boxes of terrys all gold chocs (reduced in ic*land so £1.79 each all thier xmas stock is reduced) these are for birthday presents in feb (bbd is 06/12). Forgot i needed some milk so have asked my dad to pick some up (dont need to pay him for this as he picks the odd bits up for me but not sure if i should add it to my total ?? is it cheating if i dont . Tea tonight is chicken kiev and new pots with coleslaw and tomorrow we are having hm lasagna so hopefully a NSD tomorrow.

• tracey12
    £7.26 left to last til friday very doable as i dont need anything but not sure what to do with the money left over each week?? what does every1 else do when theyve got money left over ??
    If I have any money left at the end of the month I put into a separate bank account towards a holiday fund. I know some people save it towards bulk buying purchases.

Tracey
    Officially debt free
    • Florenceem
    • By Florenceem 4th Jan 12, 2:55 PM
    • 3,996 Posts
    • 52,590 Thanks
    Florenceem
    Small spend today of £11 (rounded up figure the change goes in my pot) this also included 2 boxes of terrys all gold chocs (reduced in ic*land so £1.79 each all thier xmas stock is reduced) these are for birthday presents in feb (bbd is 06/12). Forgot i needed some milk so have asked my dad to pick some up (dont need to pay him for this as he picks the odd bits up for me but not sure if i should add it to my total ?? is it cheating if i dont . Tea tonight is chicken kiev and new pots with coleslaw and tomorrow we are having hm lasagna so hopefully a NSD tomorrow.
    Originally posted by elly2
    Can I ask - what is the personal challenge please?
    15 in 2015 1/15
  • rosieben
    Justamum, I've added your Banana Bread recipe to the index

tracey, I've added your Gluten-free, egg-free and dairy-free banana bread recipe too
    Last edited by rosieben; 04-01-2012 at 3:04 PM.
    ... don't throw the string away. You always need string!

C.R.A.P.R.O.L.L.Z Head Sharpener
  • PolkaDotsAndLace
    Bought an onion today, OH didn't check price so I'll guesstimate at around 30p spent.
    February Grocery Challenge - £100.87/£180
    February Don't Throw Food Away Challenge - £0.60/£1.50
    • Spiggle
    • By Spiggle 4th Jan 12, 3:07 PM
    • 1,751 Posts
    • 14,202 Thanks
    Spiggle
    Thanks to you too, I couldn't work out how to put 2 quotes in 1 reply , help please! ...
    Originally posted by Pixie Fairydust
    Hi Pixie,

At the bottom of each post there is, going left to right, the thanks button, the quote button and then the 'double balloon' button. The double balloon is the multi quote button. You can only quote up to three posts at a time though - well it won't let me use more than that anyways! If you tick the balloon a little white tick will show, when you're ready to post click the quote button on one of those you wish to reply to and you'll be taken to the advanced post screen. Once in there you can edit or reduce the quoted post as you wish. Make sure your cursor is not inside anything like this [/QUOTE] when you are typing your reply. HTH.

... we're having pasta bake for tea with chorizo,onion,mushrooms a bit of garlic and lots of cheese on top and garlic bread i have made this before but just wondering can i freeze it if theres any left???
    Hi lemmings,

My OH regularly makes me pasta bakes and roasted veg bakes and he always freezes at least one portion for a later date.

OK, so had a change of plan this morning and now having the rest of the week as annual leave. There were a few things I'd forgotten to do (or haven't got round to doing) that it would be much easier to get done now OH is back in work. So off I toddled to get the tracking done on the car and, as I was supposed to get milk when I went to work, went to the awful, horrible, big MrT which is nearly alongside the tyre place. I also had to fill the tank up - it was almost running on fumes - so that's a nice £59.07 gone there (different budget though ).

I took a list and checked a couple of prices online before I went. They have K*nc* refills of smooth instant coffee on offer at the mo for £2.10 which is a good buy so I got a couple of those but only one counts in this spend as the other one comes out of my pocket money (pm) 'cos it's for my office.

MrT has the P*rs*l S&M wash liquid (54 wash) at £5 at the moment which is a great save for me as that's what I prefer to use. I got the Bio one but they were out of the colour so I'll get one on Monday from the store near work. The one today, and any I get on Monday, are allocated to the February budget as I won't get anywhere near opening it this month.

I was very lucky in that I decided to bung a load in the washing machine before I left so it would be done on my return. When I opened the cupboard I discovered I was on my last dose of conditioner and so added it to the list. There would have been multiple if I'd got back from the awful place to discover I needed it!

Got a couple of shower gels (B1G1F), milk, bag of flour, eyemake up remover and a couple of packs of pain au raisin as they were down to a £1. They are still my favourite treat but when I started this GC thing in March 2010 the standard unreduced price was about 89p and now it's £1.50 according to the label today.

Also had to order the dry cat food today online. Went through Quidco to check prices and yet again Z**pl*s came out cheapest (before and after cashback). As they still haven't paid me my cashback from last August's first order and had the nerve to decline it on my December order, I decided it was cheaper to try P*tM*ds because if they pay me my cashback they will be cheapest. I ordered two 5kg sacks and so have put the cost of one into Febs spreadsheet. Weirdly I always think in terms of after cashback price when buying but always note the full price on my spreadsheet.

Cor, marathon post, sorry everyone. I'll shut up now and see you later.

Take care,
    Spigs
    Mortgage Free October 2013
  • 123budget
    Went back to work today so at last manage a NSD!
    Good start to week using leftover lamb for shepherds pie and bunged a couple of handfuls of lentils in for the first time - nobody actually noticed and I had two portions left over for freezer for hubbies late shifts
    On the other hand I bought a whoopsied pre-cooked roast chicken and left on side in kitchen while I answered phone and retuned to find the dog curled up in her bed having a feast of it could have killed her - she is a tiny jack russell and must have bounced up a down till she cold snatch it off the top! Lesson learnt I think.
    Did stock take of freezer in garage last night, planned next weeks menu and printed out shopping list for end of week.
    Sealed Pot Challenge 2011 / no. 1205 £110 made]Sealed Pot Challenge 2012/no 1205 target £300
    Jan g/c 355.83/£450
    g/c Feb487.66/£400
    March 411.03/£450
    To feed 5 adults and 2 dogs includes toiletries & cleanining
    • mummyyof5
    • By mummyyof5 4th Jan 12, 3:21 PM
    • 1,839 Posts
    • 39,830 Thanks
    mummyyof5
    £6.00 spent on a sack of potatoes today...did go to MrMs for a few bits but OH paid so as seperate budget Im not counting this...mmmm maybe I should get him to pick bits up more often..would definately come under budget then lol...cant see him falling for this to be honest x

Pie and mash for tea..not the best meal but really need some comfort food..its so cold and blustery today.
    Feeding 6 Adults 1 Teen a 8 year old with hollow legs and a very fussy 5 year old. Also 3 cats and 3 fishies
    To include all Food,Toiletries and Petfood.
    • MummyEm
    • By MummyEm 4th Jan 12, 3:24 PM
    • 573 Posts
    • 5,144 Thanks
    MummyEm
    I'm a bit annoyed as having checked our online banking, have realised that that I have spent £54.73 on groceries not the £0 I thought it was! One trip to L**l on the 27th has only just been taked from b/a so now in teh months budget and I'd forgotten about DH nipping to shops on new years eve for a few bits as we were entertaining. Never mind, could be worse. There is also £22 odd purchase of toiletry type bits from B**ts but I've taken this from DH personal spends as they were extra bits for his holiday. Not sure whether I should really take this from the grocery budget as I do normally include toiletries, but I wouldn't have spent as much as he did!! Think I might change this back to a grocery spend but for now, ive taken his money. I will see how much is left at end of the month
    MFW original end date £295000 Nov 2039 currently £224,824.58 Jul 2035 Dream end date Nov 2025
    2017 Target EF £20,000/ £20,000 OP £2390.10/£1900
    TOTAL OP 2014 £1042.60 OP 2015 £3357.75 OP 2016 £6480.98 Family Loan £17000.00
  • rachelww1
    Failed miserably in December, I reckon I was at least £80 over budget. Could I be put down for £350 for January please. Spends up to today total £71.11 so well within budget at the moment. I'm determined to bring in all my lunches to work this year, a bit of a challenge as I often get asked to go to get the lunches from the deli for the others in the office. But today I was good, and had hm SW french onion soup. There should have been enough for tomorrows lunch too but I was a bit of a piggy and polished the lot off . My only spend today was 79p on a bag of onions, so I will be making some more tonight hopefully to last me the rest of the week .
    LBM Dec 10. Total unsecured debt £41176 Nov 12 Debt Free Thanks Mum x RIP x

2013 Savings £250
    2013 OP £3500
    • hex2
    • By hex2 4th Jan 12, 3:27 PM
    • 4,722 Posts
    • 80,174 Thanks
    hex2
    For those who cant get to MrS Amazon have a good deal on washing powder, Persil Bio Powder 100 wash for £12, or £10.80 if you subscribe and save (and then cancel after it is delivered!)

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Persil-Biological-Powder-Detergent-Washes/dp/B003USW1K6/ref=zg_bsms_grocery_2

Be quick if you want it, it is number 1 in the movers and shakers so usually goes quickly.
    Last edited by hex2; 04-01-2012 at 3:30 PM.
    'If you have a garden and a library, you have everything you need' Marcus Tullius Cicero
  • mumwithamission
    Just seen on Grabbit board (post about a torch!) that Amaz*n sell groceries - h
    ad no idea. Anyway 24 pack of Branston Baked Beans delivered for £7.68 that's 32p tin

• Redouble
    For those who cant get to MrS Amazon have a good deal on washing powder, Persil Bio Powder 100 wash for £12, or £10.80 if you subscribe and save (and then cancel after it is delivered!)

Be quick if you want it, it is number 1 in the movers and shakers so usually goes quickly.
    Originally posted by hex2
    Thanks for this! I needed washing powder too
    NSDs 7/20
    Make £10 a day £403.74/£310
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

550Posts Today

5,718Users online

Martin's Twitter