Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • zippychick
    • By zippychick 4th Jun 11, 11:19 AM
    • 9,343Posts
    • 17,889Thanks
    zippychick
    • 4th Jun 11, 11:19 AM
    4th Jun 11 at 11:19 AM
    Hi everyone,

Welcome to the first Grocery Challenge of 2012

If your new month starts early feel free to join this thread, or if you're still working on your December budget, then keep on posting in the December Grocery Challenge

As always this challenge is to reduce your own grocery budget to levels that you will be pleased with, not forgetting that we always recommend that you stay inside your own comfort levels and take things gently one step at a time. Remember that this is not a competition....it's designed to take you and your grocery spending to a level you are happy with.

If you are new to the challenge I have quoted the advice from Galtizz below which will help you get started.

Please post into this thread for help and advice and support at any time. Good luck to everyone taking part!

I have said this before, but for all the newbies to the challenge;

For the first month I took a guess at the budget but I really had no idea how much I was spending.

I found the best thing is to have a guess the first month but SAVE ALL OF YOUR RECEIPTS (and yes, that does include the ones from the local shop when you run out of milk ), then at the end of the month add them all up and have a look if you were on budget, if not, it doesn't matter because your budget was a guess. For the next month you can use the total of your receipts and take a bit off to get a realistic budget, just shave off as much as you think you can, it could be 1 a week or 20 a week.

If you are currently spending 200 a month don't suddenly drop it to 100 - you'll never do it but if you cut 20 a month off for a few months you'll get there eventually without feeling you're missing out on anything.

You might think you've done everything you can in the first month but someone always comes up with a new idea and, if you try it you often find you save a bit more (unless you are SarahSaver who is an expert at this and could only save more if she turned her back garden into a paddy field and lived on rice ) In the first month I thought, I'm planning meals, I couldn't possibly save any more, but then I started double cooking and freezing, and making soup instead of buying it in tins.

I've been doing this since Feb but only saved ALL of my receipts last month, it has given me a much better idea of where it is all going. Budget for next month is 80 for 2 of us, I'll start on 30/4. I could probably save more, by eating different foods but I can afford to live on 80, I have saved a lot of money since Feb. and I don't waste food or money any more. So I'm happy with my budget.
    For quidelines on posting in this thread please read the second post in this thread.

For the Grocery challenge Recipe Index please see posts #3, #4, #5 and #6 on this thread.

For everyones totals, see post #7 on this thread

I hope everyone has a great month!

Zip
    Last edited by zippychick; 27-12-2011 at 12:52 PM.
    A little nonsense now and then is relished by the wisest men
    Norn Iron club member #380

Page 40
    • kalojac
    • By kalojac 3rd Jan 12, 7:51 PM
    • 422 Posts
    • 5,363 Thanks
    kalojac
    Hi All,

I am gonna try for 300 this month. My spends so far have been 21.66 yesterday in Tesco and have had 2 NSDs so far today and the 1st!
    • XSpender
    • By XSpender 3rd Jan 12, 7:58 PM
    • 3,341 Posts
    • 34,423 Thanks
    XSpender
    For the first time in I don't know when I have not spent any money on tea or food at work. I feel very .

Stuck to the meal plan and cooked an extra jacket spud for DH lunch tomorrow with defrosted HM veggie chilli. Also boiled a couple of eggs for me to have as egg mayo sarnies tomorrow for my lunch.

Checked the spreadsheet of spends I had started at work before Christmas and have updated my total. I have a bit less than I had estimated and would really like to take advantage of the Mr S half price soap powder offer.

Can anyone tell me if it is the 80 wash boxes of Fairy that are a tenner? I got some last year and they lasted ages. Would ideally get 4 if it is for the whole year. Just need to work out how to budget for it.
    • Kylieminoag
    • By Kylieminoag 3rd Jan 12, 7:58 PM
    • 159 Posts
    • 2,649 Thanks
    Kylieminoag
    I amon my 3rd day of no cigsand struggling,whatis NRT please and Comkmunity Oharmacy scheme,
    Originally posted by meg72
    Hang on in there Meg 72... it will get easier I promise.... I've done it. I swore at my best mate, I locked myself in a room and screamed, I rolled up a newspaper and beat the living daylights out of the back wall of the house.... and I drank a glass of water everytime I needed a cig. I also remembered my wedding day....one of the most important days of my life and I couldnt wait for the service to be over so I could go for a cig. How pathetic I was! I'm never going back there...... its four years now but like you I started going through it one minute, one hour, one afternoon, one day,,,, its worth every moment of agony in the long run. You've already done the hardest bit.

NRT is nicotine replacement therapy. (patches/gum etc) Sorry I'm not sure what the community pharmacy scheme is. I would suggest if you've got to day 3 you might be ok without all that as your will power is pretty good.
    ... but do whatever you need to to get through.
    DFWNerd 1417
    MFW by 2018 Jan 2012 186,000 Sept 2015 50,000
    • freyasmum
    • By freyasmum 3rd Jan 12, 8:15 PM
    • 16,730 Posts
    • 48,917 Thanks
    freyasmum
    Can anyone tell me if it is the 80 wash boxes of Fairy that are a tenner? I got some last year and they lasted ages. Would ideally get 4 if it is for the whole year. Just need to work out how to budget for it.
    Originally posted by XSpender
    Yea, it's the same ones as last year - except they're 72 washes in a box this time.

There's also a printable voucher on supersavvyme for 1 off each of the ariel and the Fairy (it's my favourite ).

Well done on the not spending money as well
    • kersplatt
    • By kersplatt 3rd Jan 12, 8:16 PM
    • 81 Posts
    • 1,133 Thanks
    kersplatt
    Another NSD for me!!

I have meal planned to use up freezer contents this month but I'm virtually out of milk, marg and bread so I will have to pop to the shops tomorrow. That said, I won't have the kids in the evening so can run out to do a whoopsie run which is really a highlight of me week - I am 'that' person!!!

I am budgetted to the nth degree and I'm staying that way come hell or high water!!!

Hi to all the other newbies :waves:
    Separated 17/06/10, now dealing with the fallout

House sold and debt cleared 23rd May 2014. Now saving to get married!
    Current savings 0
  • arrowlili
    well done
    Hang on in there Meg 72... it will get easier I promise.... I've done it. I swore at my best mate, I locked myself in a room and screamed, I rolled up a newspaper and beat the living daylights out of the back wall of the house.... and I drank a glass of water everytime I needed a cig. I also remembered my wedding day....one of the most important days of my life and I couldnt wait for the service to be over so I could go for a cig. How pathetic I was! I'm never going back there...... its four years now but like you I started going through it one minute, one hour, one afternoon, one day,,,, its worth every moment of agony in the long run. You've already done the hardest bit.

NRT is nicotine replacement therapy. (patches/gum etc) Sorry I'm not sure what the community pharmacy scheme is. I would suggest if you've got to day 3 you might be ok without all that as your will power is pretty good.
    ... but do whatever you need to to get through.
    Originally posted by Kylieminoag
    just wanted to second that. i quit nearly 5 years ago and i was smoking for nearly 18 years.
    the first few days i felt so ill i felt like death (don't think the morning sickness helped either ) but it gets better every day!
    keeping my fingers crossed for ya!
    [CENTER]NDS Feb 2012 - 17/17
    Feb 2012 GC - 97.63/380
    SPC # 1584 & Frugal Living Challenge 2012
    2012 in 2012 120/2012
    365 in 365 days 2012 - 56/365
    • pipersky
    • By pipersky 3rd Jan 12, 8:25 PM
    • 949 Posts
    • 15,015 Thanks
    pipersky
    Hi

As usual lost track last month, but I don't think I was even close to spending the 350 I budgetted. As I am TERRIBLE (truly, truly AWFUL) at walking passed a bargain without stocking up I'm going to try for an annual challange this year. I've decided to budget 50p per person per meal (so 7.50 a day for 5 of us) plus 50 a month for toiletries, cleaning stuff and nappies). My calc tells me that's 3,345 for the year. So far I've spent 14.84

Haven't read any of the thread yet but as usual many thanks to those running and contributing
    Part time GCer, NSDer, Comper and (Bad)Flylady

A big shot is just a little shot that kept shooting ...
  • sonastin
    Planned to have chicken thighs for dinner but came home tonight to find that they hadn't defrosted completely. Also discovered that the tea-bag situation was more dire than I realised - OH had had to open the box of emergency tea bags which my gran had in a xmas hamper. Next stop was going back to the dusty tea leaves that OH's mother brought back from India last year - she brought the leaves but left the flavour behind

So coat back on and off to Morries for teabags and something for dinner. Bought teabags, multipack crisps (forgot on a$da trip), sugar (nearly as dire as teabag situation - but only for OH as I don't have it ) and fishcakes for dinner. Then noticed the baked goods whoopsies...
    4 x sausage rolls for 45p - OHs lunches sorted for tomorrow + another day (2 frozen)
    4 x assorted pies/pasties for 99p - dinner tonight (fishcakes in freezer) + 2 more lunches for OH
    2 x danish pastries for 15p
    2 x jammy donuts for 9p

Had to resist getting too much because there's only so much space in the freezer!

Spent 12.75 today so total spend is up to 52.77 / 200 for the month so far. Cripes! I'm a quarter of the way through the budget and only 3 days in. But I have got full cupboards, fridge and freezer so no need to much spending for a few days.
    • mooomin
    • By mooomin 3rd Jan 12, 8:39 PM
    • 13,655 Posts
    • 134,514 Thanks
    mooomin
    Originally posted by Kylieminoag
    I took the day off work for my first day quitting smoking. I went cold turkey, and when Mr Fresian came home I was crying and made him leave the house again to buy me chocolate. Thankfully he saw the seriousness of the situation and brought me melt in the middle chocolate puddings from M&S

Once I got through the first 48 hours I did ok, and have been off the ciggies for over three years now (maybe four, can't remember!)

Good luck to everyone quitting
    Comping again

Wins this year: - two night trip to Belgium, 100 Gett taxi credit, tickets to Newcastle game, FIFA 2016 for PS4, stitch markers, Cumberstitching book
    • Suffolk lass
    • By Suffolk lass 3rd Jan 12, 8:42 PM
    • 2,887 Posts
    • 27,286 Thanks
    Suffolk lass
    Spaghetti pie is fried off leftovers (this time it was brussel sprouts, a small onion, some streaky rashers snipped into 1" bits) then in with a can of spaghetti in tomato sauce. All mixed together and into a blind-baked pastry case topped with leftover cheese (from the European cheese mountain currently in residence) and into a hot oven until the cheese starts to go brown. Yummy, despite how revolting it might sound and fed three of us - put salad on the side in an attempt to distract *TDS from green bits in the pie (didn't work - he sat and picked them out with a meticulousness I can only yearn for in his college work)

*Teenage Dependant Son
    Last edited by Suffolk lass; 08-01-2012 at 3:44 PM.
    MFIT T5 target to clear our mortgage completely (59,998) Q1 26,828 or 44.71% paid - Mortgage Free Wannabes 2019 #37 29,215.99 after May
    Save 12k in 2019 - #68 target is 7k 4,998.99 or 71.41% after May
    OS Grocery Challenge 2019 target is 3k - 36.16% spent so far, after May
    My DFD is here
  • lemmings1986
    I amon my 3rd day of no cigsand struggling,whatis NRT please and Comkmunity Oharmacy scheme,
    Originally posted by meg72
    hi meg nrt is nicotine replacement theropy i think, and im not sure what the pharmacy thing is but we have a small hospital where we live and they do a smoking clinic and you can get nrt from them for free like patches,gum etc if your not on them why dont you try them they do help and if your not sure where your nearest stop smoking clinic is you can ring http://smokefree.nhs.uk/?&gclid=CLjxjYzqtK0CFVBlfAod2F51lQ
    its fab you get a free quit kit with loads of useful information and a thing to play with to keep your hands busy and they will also tell you where your nearest stop smoking clinic is hope this helps, good luck your doing great
    VSP#17 2.34
    debt free 26/10/2012
    • njk1012
    • By njk1012 3rd Jan 12, 9:03 PM
    • 257 Posts
    • 2,206 Thanks
    njk1012
    Left over chilli today with cheese and toasted pitta bread OH fished out of the freezer for lunch. Tea was whoopsied sausage roll, boiled potatoes, carrots, cabbage and gravy. Not very imaginative I know but fits with what was in the fridge nicely.

Nipped to Asda earlier and spent 7.90 on 8pts of milk, large nescafe which they have on offer at 4, bananas, reduced bread and 3 packs of 8 sausage rolls at 20p each. So a little more than I wanted but some good offers.

OH is having a bit of a toddler tantrum asking for stuff we don't have in but i'm determined to mainly live on what we have for the time being and put off a proper weeks shop for as long as possible.
    Grocery Challenge Sept 17 407.79/434. Oct 17 394.44/400. Nov 17 228.71/400
    Car finance 28/08/2017 = 8819.52 Car finance now 7934.38 (27% paid).
    Tax credit debt 28/08/2017= 2300
  • lemmings1986
    just finished doing the baking, the mars bar cake is absolutely delicious it hasnt set properly yet but had to check it tasted alright will definatly be making it again.
    not too sure about the muffins i didnt have any cases left so cooked them in a muffin tray and theyve come out like yorkie puds i dont think i put enough mix in each one and forgot i used plain flour so they wont rise they taste alright but i think i should of maybe left them in a bit longer but dont resemble a muffin will have to have another go at them,and rolls are in cupboard wrapped in cling film hopefully rising am normally quite good at bread so should be alright they need to go in oven in a min tho tomato and parmesan mmm oh will be home any minute so may have to hide them once they cooked so he doesnt eat them all
    VSP#17 2.34
    debt free 26/10/2012
  • helen jelly
    Rising - thanks hun - you were the "oldie" I was thinking of hehe

Moneysaver13 - couln't read my writing when I jotted down your name and budget so when I typed it in it was a complete guess - you are now corrected

Apologies ladies but there are an awful, awful lot of posts with figures in at the mo [I know it will ease up soon]

Budgets done to here

Helen x
    Projects made for craft fair - 40
    1st fair on 13/4/14
    • belfastgirl23
    • By belfastgirl23 3rd Jan 12, 9:56 PM
    • 7,750 Posts
    • 15,597 Thanks
    belfastgirl23
    Hi everyone, not sure if anyone here remembers me have been MIA from this thread for a long time but trying to get myself back on the straight and narrow now. There are only two of us and I'd like to go for 200. Which I know is a lot compared to others on here but DH has a premium orange juice and organic habit that I will only be able to make minor inroads into I have to confess I have been just spending without even thinking over the last while and I really need to get a grip on this. It's good to be back!

• mooomin
    • By mooomin 3rd Jan 12, 10:00 PM
    • 13,655 Posts
    • 134,514 Thanks
    mooomin
    Venison sausage stew
    Thought I would share what we had for dinner last night:

Ingredients

1 pack Sainsbugs Venison, Pork and Red Wine sausages (whoopsied to 64p!)
    3 carrots
    1 onion
    Beef stock cube x 2
    Leek x 1

Method

Brown the sausages using the method of your choice (I used my George Foreman grill!)
    While they're browning, chop up an onion, your three carrots and the leek (or throw in frozen chopped leek like I did )
    Add a drop of oil/low cal cooking spray to a pan and add your vegetables.
    Pour in your stock and add the sausages
    Allow to bubble for about half an hour/as long as it takes your mash to be ready

EAT!
    Comping again

Wins this year: - two night trip to Belgium, 100 Gett taxi credit, tickets to Newcastle game, FIFA 2016 for PS4, stitch markers, Cumberstitching book
  • Libretia*
    3rd nsd of january. Not spent anything on anything. So far, so good.
    Every penny's a prisoner!

GC January 14.01/100

Jan NSD's 4/15
    • PennyGrabber
    • By PennyGrabber 3rd Jan 12, 10:23 PM
    • 1,268 Posts
    • 22,438 Thanks
    PennyGrabber
    I had a spend day today. Went to a!di, for the super 6 and their ham. Got swede (over a kilo), 1kg of onions, celery and six toms, all 39p each! Also got the ham which is delicious, and waaaay cheaper than other sms, and a cuc for 59p. Then went to sains for the other bits and bobs, spent 16.11. That included four chicken and mushroom slices, paid 68p instead of 2.78, 10l of princes juice, at 55p/l.12 wraps for 30p, six kiwis for 62p (that's an actual offer, not YS), several other good reductions, and some normal bits too, 28 items in total.

So, to cut a long story short, I have now spent 20.05 out of my 90 budget for January. I thought much more carefully about most things I put into the trolley, and I'm feeling pretty good about this year so far. (I am well aware that we're only 3 days in, but I have three more 'main' shops to do, plus top ups for this month) 20 each a week for another three weeks leaves me 10 for milk other stuff I forget on other shops!! Very doable, as the bulk of the meals is already in the pantry or fridge freezer.

I'm liking the idea of spaghetti pie - may try that one out for weirdness value!

PG x

ps - thanks to all about the feedback re: pannies.
    Grocery challenge for family of three - me, dd(12) and ds(11), feeding dp 2 or 3 x a week too. Only food, not toiletries. Jan 87.97/100 Feb 0/100
    Frugal 2018 needed! Saving and NOT spending
    • sproggi
    • By sproggi 3rd Jan 12, 10:44 PM
    • 1,517 Posts
    • 6,376 Thanks
    sproggi
    Wow, it has taken me 3 days to finally catch up. I could have just skipped through to the end, but I do love reading how everyone is getting on.

So far I have managed 2 NSD's and spent 17.42, mostly on milk and extra bits for DGS as he was visiting with DS1 yesterday and I had him all day today (14months old and he eats more than DS2 13years!).

Children are back to school tomorrow and I must admit to having mixed feelings about it, whilst it will be nice to get back into routine, it will also seem empty in the house with just myself and OH all day. DD2 will be back from her dad's tomorrow, but she is full of cold so will spend all day in her room.

Sproggi
    'We can get over being poor, but it takes longer to get over being ignorant'
    Jane Sequichie Hifler
    Beware of little expenses.A small leak will sink a great ship
    Benjamin Franklin
  • rosieben
    flying_fresian, your Venison Sausage Stew is now in the index
    Suffolk lass, your Spaghetti Pie is also in the index

Last edited by rosieben; 03-01-2012 at 11:12 PM.
    ... don't throw the string away. You always need string!

C.R.A.P.R.O.L.L.Z Head Sharpener
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

2,389Posts Today

8,289Users online

Martin's Twitter