Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • zippychick
    • By zippychick 4th Jun 11, 11:19 AM
    • 9,343Posts
    • 17,889Thanks
    zippychick
    • 4th Jun 11, 11:19 AM
    4th Jun 11 at 11:19 AM
    Hi everyone,

Welcome to the first Grocery Challenge of 2012

If your new month starts early feel free to join this thread, or if you're still working on your December budget, then keep on posting in the December Grocery Challenge

As always this challenge is to reduce your own grocery budget to levels that you will be pleased with, not forgetting that we always recommend that you stay inside your own comfort levels and take things gently one step at a time. Remember that this is not a competition....it's designed to take you and your grocery spending to a level you are happy with.

If you are new to the challenge I have quoted the advice from Galtizz below which will help you get started.

Please post into this thread for help and advice and support at any time. Good luck to everyone taking part!

I have said this before, but for all the newbies to the challenge;

For the first month I took a guess at the budget but I really had no idea how much I was spending.

I found the best thing is to have a guess the first month but SAVE ALL OF YOUR RECEIPTS (and yes, that does include the ones from the local shop when you run out of milk ), then at the end of the month add them all up and have a look if you were on budget, if not, it doesn't matter because your budget was a guess. For the next month you can use the total of your receipts and take a bit off to get a realistic budget, just shave off as much as you think you can, it could be £1 a week or £20 a week.

If you are currently spending £200 a month don't suddenly drop it to £100 - you'll never do it but if you cut £20 a month off for a few months you'll get there eventually without feeling you're missing out on anything.

You might think you've done everything you can in the first month but someone always comes up with a new idea and, if you try it you often find you save a bit more (unless you are SarahSaver who is an expert at this and could only save more if she turned her back garden into a paddy field and lived on rice ) In the first month I thought, I'm planning meals, I couldn't possibly save any more, but then I started double cooking and freezing, and making soup instead of buying it in tins.

I've been doing this since Feb but only saved ALL of my receipts last month, it has given me a much better idea of where it is all going. Budget for next month is £80 for 2 of us, I'll start on 30/4. I could probably save more, by eating different foods but I can afford to live on £80, I have saved a lot of money since Feb. and I don't waste food or money any more. So I'm happy with my budget.
    For quidelines on posting in this thread please read the second post in this thread.

For the Grocery challenge Recipe Index please see posts #3, #4, #5 and #6 on this thread.

For everyones totals, see post #7 on this thread

I hope everyone has a great month!

Zip
    Last edited by zippychick; 27-12-2011 at 12:52 PM.
    A little nonsense now and then is relished by the wisest men
    Norn Iron club member #380

Page 35
  • LondonDreamer
    Totally unrelated, but how do you all know where you last read up to on this post as it moves so fast?! I seem to be spending ages finding where I last got to!

Got all my fridge veggies to use up today and some leftover puff pastry so looks like we'll be having pie for tea... nom nom nom... Have a good day all and stay safe if you're venturing out x
    Originally posted by janiepopps
    When I view the 'subscribed threads' page, there's a little arrow to the left of the thread title. If I click on that it takes me to the first post I've not read - well, almost always. If I've not been on for 12 hours+ it can mess up and mean I miss some - but it's reliable enough for me
    Originally posted by cw18
    The arrow is there on the regular forum listing as well. Just make sure you're always logged in so it can keep track of where you're up to.
    • recovering spendaholic
    • By recovering spendaholic 3rd Jan 12, 11:52 AM
    • 3,049 Posts
    • 15,426 Thanks
    recovering spendaholic
    Morning everyone! It is mad windy here today and I have to go out to the tip later so that will be fun (not)!!

Pennygrabber - That is a good price for the panny, however they have it on Very for £139.99 with the £20 cashback deal and you can probably get a code from the codes thread for up to 20% off if you are a new customer, plus go through quidco. That is what I did at the beginning of December and I got it for something like £80 after discounts and quidco. Well worth it though as it is the best kitchen machine I have ever had - I use it daily and haven't had anything other than a delicious loaf yet! We like the milk loaf the best and I also beat an egg into the milk and it makes a lovely, easy to cut, tasty loaf.

Savvymummy - I would blitz the crackers and use for breadcrumbs and for mixing with grated cheese to make toppings for bakes etc.

Hopefully will be a NSD today as I have a big curry that I made yesterday and some naan bread made in the breadmaker, and both DD's are going out for lunch. I will have some l/o corned beef with beans and jacket potato.
    Jane

ENDIS. Employed, no disposable income or savings!
    • janiepopps
    • By janiepopps 3rd Jan 12, 11:56 AM
    • 69 Posts
    • 1,335 Thanks
    janiepopps
    The arrow is there on the regular forum listing as well. Just make sure you're always logged in so it can keep track of where you're up to.
    Originally posted by LondonDreamer
    Nice one LD, that is brilliant. Thank you x
    Jan '12 GC; £74.66/£100
    £2 saver club member #107
    • clarkey1000
    • By clarkey1000 3rd Jan 12, 12:02 PM
    • 172 Posts
    • 468 Thanks
    clarkey1000
    Can I join in too please! My aim is £150 for me, DH & 2 small people.

I've just spent £67 on my online shop which should last until the 17th at least - probably longer as DH is away from 17th-20th so less mouths to feed! I think DH spent some money yesterday on milk but I need to find the receipt!
  • cheekychipmunk
    Well, I was going to do my shopping today but the wind has put me off going out. Will do one of my cheapy staples - Lemony lentil pasta - as have all the ingredients in. All you need to do is finely chop one onion, dice a carrot and finely chop a garlic clove. Fry in a little oil until soft, then add a tin of chopped tomatoes, 100 g red lentils and 500-750 ml veg stock. Cook until lentils soft (add extra water if needed) and in the meantime, cook 150-200g pasta twirls. Add cooked pasta to lentils and you should have a thick pasta soup. Add a squeeze of lemon juice (or grate on some cheddar). Serves 4.

Sounds very frugal and basic, but it is yummy and kids love it too!
    January 2012 GC £296.96/£300
    • Fiasco55
    • By Fiasco55 3rd Jan 12, 12:24 PM
    • 1,345 Posts
    • 15,364 Thanks
    Fiasco55
    Afternoon everyone. Can you please put me down for £105 for January's challenge? I am planing on using up existing freezer and store cupboard items. I need to start saving up some more money and this seems like a sensible place to cut back.
    No buying toiletries Graduated May 2017

Decluttered 2016 2469 items, 2017 1580 items
    2018 3060 items

Sealed Pot Challenge No 038
  • moneysaver13
    Hi Helen
    I'm moneysaver13 rather than moneysaver1b, budget correct at £150 though I will be shocked if I can keep to it!
    Many thanks
    GC 2012 April £0/£150
    March: £176.71/£150
    (payday 22nd) NSD 3/10
    Feb: £138.93/£150 NSD:11/10
    Jan: £171.13/£150
    Nectar rewards: £18.55, Boots £13.82
    Sealed pot challenge 5 no 1602:
  • freyaluck
    Can I join too Please
    New year new start and all that.
    My Budget until 30th Jan is £300 That is for 2 Adults and 4 children. The cupboards and freezers are full so it should be ok to stick to.
    BB
    FRey
    Saving for the future of the earth
  • Fellpony
    Hi, I'm another newbie, (to this thread) loving reading up on the budgeting and the brilliant money saving recipes people so kindly share. I made the chilli recipe on here last night and oh boy was it good! Thank you very much!! We are currently seeing how much we spend in our first month, I shop on line usually but hubby likes a pop to Asd@ now and again and even though we took a list yesterday which should have only cost us max £15 we came out having picked up other things that we actually did need (and some we didn't need but "wanted") but the cost was £55, reduced to £45 as we had a £10 voucher for there after we put in a complaint about their voucher system a couple of months back. (Hubby was shopping on his own, got the trolley to the til and the assistant refused to accept the voucher for £5 off a £40 spend so he walked out and left the food on the side half packed! So brave! He's very quiet usually but was furious and after an email to their CS got landed with the afore mentioned voucher.)

ETA there are just two of us and two kittens in the house but I am expecting at the end of February so we're stocking up slightly with baby stuff to try and spread the cost.
    Last edited by Fellpony; 03-01-2012 at 12:58 PM. Reason: Forgot to put how many in the house
    You never know how strong you are until you have no other option.
  • rosieben
    cheekychipmunk, I've added your Lemony lentil pasta recipe to the front page list
    ... don't throw the string away. You always need string!

C.R.A.P.R.O.L.L.Z Head Sharpener
    • p-pincher
    • By p-pincher 3rd Jan 12, 1:30 PM
    • 725 Posts
    • 3,631 Thanks
    p-pincher
    Well as quick as i posted my new budget ive been and spent a third of it at tesco. Back on slimming world (had a couple of weeks off at christmas). Spent £52 but bought chicken, salmon, lf sausages, extra lean mince and loads fruit and veg. I feel like ive done really well. Nipping co op late to get some of the low fat cheese thats on offer so will be approx £60.00 spent. Meal plan done for the next 2 weeks and the only thing i need to but are potatoes but decided not to buy them yet as I dont need them til friday. Plenty of breakfast and lunch stuff stocked up as well.
    March 2014 Grocery challenge £250.00
    • Florenceem
    • By Florenceem 3rd Jan 12, 1:45 PM
    • 3,984 Posts
    • 52,562 Thanks
    Florenceem
    Trying.
    Okay - managed this so far - here goes - have I done it.
    • Florenceem
    • By Florenceem 3rd Jan 12, 1:46 PM
    • 3,984 Posts
    • 52,562 Thanks
    Florenceem
    To colour and enlarge, click on go advanced, which is just under your message, then the colours and sizes are above your message. Just highlight and change, as you would in word. HTH
    Originally posted by PennyGrabber
    Thank you for the help!
    • MummyEm
    • By MummyEm 3rd Jan 12, 1:47 PM
    • 573 Posts
    • 5,144 Thanks
    MummyEm
    I have been AWOL for since mid Nov as I had to change my email address then had problems logging in which I've only just got back around to sorting out!

Please could I be put down for £450.00 for Jan. I'm hoping to spend less than this as DH is away for 6 days so kiddies and I will be eating from the freezer. I am hoping to get the chest freezer defrosted by end of the month. Need to eat lots out of that and kitchen freezer so I can get it all in the kitchen one. DH and I are away later in the month for a week so can then start building up freezer stocks again next month.

I am going to aim to not go to the shops until next Monday which would mean a whole 2 weeks with only 1 top up shop so saving lots of £££sss. It may mean lots of odd combinations tho to make sure we eat enough fruit and veg!
    MFW original end date £295000 Nov 2039 currently £224,824.58 Jul 2035 Dream end date Nov 2025
    2017 Target EF £20,000/ £20,000 OP £2390.10/£1900
    TOTAL OP 2014 £1042.60 OP 2015 £3357.75 OP 2016 £6480.98 Family Loan £17000.00
    • Florenceem
    • By Florenceem 3rd Jan 12, 1:49 PM
    • 3,984 Posts
    • 52,562 Thanks
    Florenceem
    Thanks - I have never managed to do colour here till now! Not sure about the size and colour on the same word though.
    • Florenceem
    • By Florenceem 3rd Jan 12, 2:05 PM
    • 3,984 Posts
    • 52,562 Thanks
    Florenceem
    I am trying to get my info at the bottom of the post.

Grocery challenge January £100
  • aberdeensaver
    Hi All,

Went to SM yesterday for the weekly shop, spent £33.74 in A**a. Was quite proud walking out as only two items jumped in the trolly that wasnt on the list, they were banana's and a big bottle of Pepsi which OH spotted for £1, came home and made a pie with LO turkey, some gammon and brocolli (it was just a tweaked recipe from the front page) OH said it was lovely. Had left overs of it for lunch, got LO roast beef for dinner, but making some spag bol now for dinner later on in the week and for lunches. My fridge seems to be filling up with bits and pieces that are earmarked for another meal, just hope I dont forget about them before they turn! Bit down in dumps today but think its a mix of going back to work tomorrow, and OH deciding that we need to give up smoking (I know I should but its not easy, and even after 3 hours I am honestly considering braving the elements to go and get some)

Hope everyone is having a good day.

Ex
    Jan GC £242.38/£250
    Feb GC £147.57 /£240
    2012 Clothes Challenge £97.50/£500
    Repay £5K in 2012 £254.17/£5000
    2012 NSD 14/200 (Jan 14)
  • Beccatje
    I'm having a no spend day. Will cook dinner with food that is in the house already.
    Pulled a rabbit from the freezer. That is in the oven roasting now. I'll probably make it into a pie as I have some tatties left and lots of onions and leeks.
  • Frugal dragon
    Hi there everyone,
    new to the forum so as I am on a money saving adventure with OH this year would like to put myself down for £346 for January. Not exactly sure how much I spend a month but think this i do-able for me OH and two very hungry and gown up DS's!!!
    I am planning to start shopping more on the high street rather than blitzing the supermarket and picking up what I fancy ( very costly I know). I love cooking and try to cook from scratch so I am hoping to do this more ecnomically and start batch cooking and filling the freezer!
    Good luck everyone and I will be checking out the recipes on here.
    Frugal dragon

GC Jan £85.07/£346
  • stup1d80
    Hi everyone... can I join in too?

Can I go for £360 for January please (thats for 2 adult and 3 little people - one of which is still in nappies)

Need to stay on track and preferebly UNDER budget

Thanks

L
    xxx
    Jan GC £9.99/£360

Crazy Clothing challange 2012 - £0/£150
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

2,163Posts Today

7,423Users online

Martin's Twitter