Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • zippychick
    • By zippychick 4th Jun 11, 11:19 AM
    • 9,343Posts
    • 17,889Thanks
    zippychick
    • 4th Jun 11, 11:19 AM
    4th Jun 11 at 11:19 AM
    Hi everyone,

Welcome to the first Grocery Challenge of 2012

If your new month starts early feel free to join this thread, or if you're still working on your December budget, then keep on posting in the December Grocery Challenge

As always this challenge is to reduce your own grocery budget to levels that you will be pleased with, not forgetting that we always recommend that you stay inside your own comfort levels and take things gently one step at a time. Remember that this is not a competition....it's designed to take you and your grocery spending to a level you are happy with.

If you are new to the challenge I have quoted the advice from Galtizz below which will help you get started.

Please post into this thread for help and advice and support at any time. Good luck to everyone taking part!

I have said this before, but for all the newbies to the challenge;

For the first month I took a guess at the budget but I really had no idea how much I was spending.

I found the best thing is to have a guess the first month but SAVE ALL OF YOUR RECEIPTS (and yes, that does include the ones from the local shop when you run out of milk ), then at the end of the month add them all up and have a look if you were on budget, if not, it doesn't matter because your budget was a guess. For the next month you can use the total of your receipts and take a bit off to get a realistic budget, just shave off as much as you think you can, it could be 1 a week or 20 a week.

If you are currently spending 200 a month don't suddenly drop it to 100 - you'll never do it but if you cut 20 a month off for a few months you'll get there eventually without feeling you're missing out on anything.

You might think you've done everything you can in the first month but someone always comes up with a new idea and, if you try it you often find you save a bit more (unless you are SarahSaver who is an expert at this and could only save more if she turned her back garden into a paddy field and lived on rice ) In the first month I thought, I'm planning meals, I couldn't possibly save any more, but then I started double cooking and freezing, and making soup instead of buying it in tins.

I've been doing this since Feb but only saved ALL of my receipts last month, it has given me a much better idea of where it is all going. Budget for next month is 80 for 2 of us, I'll start on 30/4. I could probably save more, by eating different foods but I can afford to live on 80, I have saved a lot of money since Feb. and I don't waste food or money any more. So I'm happy with my budget.
    For quidelines on posting in this thread please read the second post in this thread.

For the Grocery challenge Recipe Index please see posts #3, #4, #5 and #6 on this thread.

For everyones totals, see post #7 on this thread

I hope everyone has a great month!

Zip
    Last edited by zippychick; 27-12-2011 at 12:52 PM.
    A little nonsense now and then is relished by the wisest men
    Norn Iron club member #380

Page 31
  • Juliann
    Hi everybody.

Just had a rather bizarre experience, walked down to see a friend who lives about a 15 minute walk away and almost next door to a Tesco Express so popped in after leaving her for a couple of bottles of lemonade, the staff were busy doing the final reductions so after just over an hour stood chatting and laughing with the lady and young man walked out with 64 worth of meat, fresh veg and conveinience meals for 7, am now wondering if I can get there for around 4:30 again though not until next week at the earliest as I already had a load left over from Christmas and the freezer is now complaining it is stuffed.
    Grocery Challenge January 138/200
    Sealed Pot Challenge #1588
    Weight loss January ?/7lb
    Mum's weight loss January ?/7lb
  • Beccatje
    Put 20 euro's worth of Diesel in the car yesterday.
    I was driving on vapors and I need the car to get to work. I will make it last as long as possible.

Spent 3,45 today.

for dinner. I made a Dutch dish called Hutspot.

I bought: Carrots, onions, bacon, smoked sausage.

I added: Potato's, butter and salt.

It's easy and a very good filling winterdish.

You just boil about equal amounts of carrots and tatties, with about half the amount of sliced onions. (boil altogether in big pot) until it's all soft and tender.

Drain, and mash.
    Fry the bacon until crisp and add to the mash.

Serve with the smoked sausage and gravy. Or just gravy and leave out the sausage. :-)
    • sistercas
    • By sistercas 2nd Jan 12, 7:31 PM
    • 4,842 Posts
    • 58,667 Thanks
    sistercas
    Hi everybody.

Just had a rather bizarre experience, walked down to see a friend who lives about a 15 minute walk away and almost next door to a Tesco Express so popped in after leaving her for a couple of bottles of lemonade, the staff were busy doing the final reductions so after just over an hour stood chatting and laughing with the lady and young man walked out with 64 worth of meat, fresh veg and conveinience meals for 7, am now wondering if I can get there for around 4:30 again though not until next week at the earliest as I already had a load left over from Christmas and the freezer is now complaining it is stuffed.
    Originally posted by Juliann
    wow well done

DH has spent 4.20 on fruit and eggs today , he is going to l!dl for me tomorrow as i am working all day . i have written him a list i just hope he sticks to it
    • Gigglepig
    • By Gigglepig 2nd Jan 12, 7:34 PM
    • 1,212 Posts
    • 3,789 Thanks
    Gigglepig
    Hello everyone, I'd like to join the January 2012 grocery challenge. It have been without a fridge for a while and as a result grossly overspent on takeaways and ready made meals :-(

I'll aim for 200/month for two adults, to include groceries and other household items, hopefully I can manage that.
    • Kaloloke
    • By Kaloloke 2nd Jan 12, 7:36 PM
    • 39 Posts
    • 505 Thanks
    Kaloloke
    Happy New Year
    Hello,

I really have no idea what I spent in total in December but it was well under my 250 budget as we ate at other peoples houses a lot. However this was probably cancelled out by buying several bottles of plonk.

I've managed to decrease my 350 - 400 spend to about 250 over the last few months so I am going to go crazy and attempt a budget of 200 for the month of January 2012.

Wish me luck.

Happy New Year to everyone

K
    I am 56 years old with 3 cats and a beautiful view of the beach
    • janiepopps
    • By janiepopps 2nd Jan 12, 7:37 PM
    • 69 Posts
    • 1,335 Thanks
    janiepopps
    First spends of the month today, 33 spent today and that is it for the week now. I really do need to rain in my spending though, as I still spent more that I was planning to and didn't get that much.

167 left to spend. Shouldn't do too badly as I am stocked up on cleaning items and nappies. And we still have lots of chocolate and sweets to eat from xmas.

Anyone have any tips of how to curb the spending???
    Originally posted by oliviarosejackson
    My biggest problem was paying by debit card. I never really computed that every time I used it I was spending hard earned money. Now I have the weeks money in little envelopes, one for groceries, one for diesel etc and pay cash for everything. Oh, and I never leave the house with the debit card.

If you normally pay by card for everything, just try using cash for one month, you'll be amazed how much you save.
    • Kaloloke
    • By Kaloloke 2nd Jan 12, 7:39 PM
    • 39 Posts
    • 505 Thanks
    Kaloloke
    Oh also my spending so far has been 3.87 on choccies, milk, tomatoes, salad, bread and malt loaf most of which was reduced in the co-op.
    I am 56 years old with 3 cats and a beautiful view of the beach
    • PennyGrabber
    • By PennyGrabber 2nd Jan 12, 7:41 PM
    • 1,268 Posts
    • 22,438 Thanks
    PennyGrabber
    I've just found a panasonic breadmaker on amazon for 115.60, It's the
    Panasonic SD-2501WXC model. Is this a good deal? Should I hold out for a better deal? I have an argos cookworks one at the moment, but I never use it because the bread is fairly moist and heavy. I'm assuming from what people have said this is not a prob with a panny? I really want to go back to making my own bread to stop those trips to the sm!

Thanks in advance for any replies.
    PG x
    Grocery challenge for family of three - me, dd(12) and ds(11), feeding dp 2 or 3 x a week too. Only food, not toiletries. Jan 87.97/100 Feb 0/100
    Frugal 2018 needed! Saving and NOT spending
    • freakyogre
    • By freakyogre 2nd Jan 12, 7:50 PM
    • 1,454 Posts
    • 9,410 Thanks
    freakyogre
    2.21 spent in Lidl today on 4 x tinned tomatoes, 1 x tin butter beans, 1 x tin kidney beans and a bag of onions.

I still have a bag of carrots and parsnips that I bought before Christmas, so i'll have a cooking day tomorrow as found a recipe for parsnip and chickpea curry which sounds delicious and i'll make a batch of soup with the carrots

I still have a huge (catering size) tin of chickpeas which I got to make falafel, so may well make that too depending on freezer space.

On second thoughts...i'll be cooking my gammon joint tomorrow, so i'll save the freezer space for the leftovers of that. Yum!
    Grocery challenge - Nov: 52/100
  • sonastin
    I've just found a panasonic breadmaker on amazon for 115.60, It's the
    Panasonic SD-2501WXC model. Is this a good deal? Should I hold out for a better deal? I have an argos cookworks one at the moment, but I never use it because the bread is fairly moist and heavy. I'm assuming from what people have said this is not a prob with a panny? I really want to go back to making my own bread to stop those trips to the sm!

Thanks in advance for any replies.
    PG x
    Originally posted by PennyGrabber
    OH "bought" me that panny for xmas (I did all the work researching what I wanted, where to buy it, ordering it, paying for it, etc!). It is AWESOME. Have made something in it every day since christmas, apart from NYE when we weren't home. I couldn't find that model for less than 115 so I think it is a pretty good deal. They were advertising it with 20 cashback from amazon but I'm not sure if that bit expired on 31 December.
  • kj*daisy
    Spent 74.44 in Asda today, that does include 16 on some sale items to use as pressies but I am going to count all my supermarket shopping in the challenge as its easier to keep track that way.

Am pleased with that amount as that also includes 8 on a big box of dishwasher tablets that will last for ages.
    Grocery challenge July 250

45 asd*/
    • MissOrganised1972
    • By MissOrganised1972 2nd Jan 12, 8:15 PM
    • 174 Posts
    • 3,644 Thanks
    MissOrganised1972
    What do you guys do for packed lunches? My boys like ham but good ham is pricey - will gammon work?

Thanks, amy

Cowboymum 380
    Originally posted by cowboymum
    I have been buying 'Ham Trim' in T*sco. It comes in 500g packs & costs 2.20. It is as it sounds, the trim/ends of joints. Nearly always ham on the bone or crumbed ham. Only once have I had chunks rather than slices (forgot to look before I purchased)! Hope that helps
    2017 GC O-93.46/160; S-136.26/160; A-130.55/160; J-47.12/160;
    J-106.63/190; M-70.29/160; A-197.88/180; M-219.35/180; F-294.14/160; J-168.67/160
    2016 GC 2322.39/2285; GC-2012-2015 - 9789.91/7773!
    for 2 adults & 2 kids (13 & 11) for all food,toiletries,cleaners etc

• meg72
    • By meg72 2nd Jan 12, 8:32 PM
    • 5,082 Posts
    • 46,072 Thanks
    meg72
    I have been buying 'Ham Trim' in T*sco. It comes in 500g packs & costs 2.20. It is as it sounds, the trim/ends of joints. Nearly always ham on the bone or crumbed ham. Only once have I had chunks rather than slices (forgot to look before I purchased)! Hope that helps
    Originally posted by MissOrganised1972
    Icelanddo these packs aswell,Ithinkthey are 1.75.Very nice proper ham,i.e.not slivers or chunks.
    Slimming World at target
    • Mortgagenewbie
    • By Mortgagenewbie 2nd Jan 12, 8:35 PM
    • 34 Posts
    • 283 Thanks
    Mortgagenewbie
    Please could you put me down for 250. Have done weekly shop at Mr s. for 25.13. Really shouldnt need anything else and going to try really hard. Also, think i have OH a lot more on board now with trying to save the pennies so there shouldnt be as many takeaways and extra bits picked up at the supermarket!
    January Grocery Challenge 54.72/250
    Jan NSDs 4/8
    Credit Card 237.83/1580.68
    SPC#5 - #1476
    • mummyjane
    • By mummyjane 2nd Jan 12, 8:36 PM
    • 381 Posts
    • 3,685 Thanks
    mummyjane
    Popped into Mr A today for a few bits we needed. Very pleased as I almost stuck to my list

The only two items I bought which weren't on the list were both in the whoopsied section

8 sausage rolls for 30p (which did ds for his tea and 6 in the freezer for later in the month)
    A huge packet of little sausages reduced to 1.10 (now also in the freezer)
    Bin Liners 1.25
    Washing Liquid 3
    Yoghurts for kids lunches x 18 2
    6 x big cans of soup 3

Total: 10.65 and have updated my sig. Shouldn't need much else until Friday fingers crossed (depending on what dh eats over the next week )
    Groceries Challenge 2019
    Jan 462.44/400
    Feb 210.10/450, 2/10 NSDs
    • Mortgagenewbie
    • By Mortgagenewbie 2nd Jan 12, 8:37 PM
    • 34 Posts
    • 283 Thanks
    Mortgagenewbie
    Please could you put me down for 250. Have done weekly shop for 25.13 so shouldnt really need to get anything wlse this week. Really trying to eat up the freezer/storecupboard!
    January Grocery Challenge 54.72/250
    Jan NSDs 4/8
    Credit Card 237.83/1580.68
    SPC#5 - #1476
  • Kerry78
    Slightly unexpected spend of 4.47. I had made DH a hot chocolate which he managed to spill all over the floor! He wanted one so much he went to get milk cause we were nearly out, and came back with milk, crisps and squirty cream!
    • BohemianCoast
    • By BohemianCoast 2nd Jan 12, 8:38 PM
    • 262 Posts
    • 1,497 Thanks
    BohemianCoast
    Just edited the Ocado order so that's another 21. Cannot see how I'm spending so much money when (a) the house is still full of food (it's all stuff like mint thins, oatcakes and cheeseboard cheese rather than the stuff that meals gets made out of) and (b) I'm not actually ordering much meat because I'm leaning on the freezer. We have run out of a load of things over Christmas, but still. Oh well. Let's see how the next couple of weeks goes.
    2016 Money saving target: declutter my house *and* my folks' house! Sell 1000 in 2016, minimise food waste, buy nothing new...
  • kit77
    Hello I would like to join in this month to see if i can get my spending under control.

Aiming for 200 for 2 adults and 2 kids.

My month actually started on the 20th (my pay date) so only need this to stretch 18 days. I have only bought milk and bread since the 20th december and thanks to a combination of eating at familys houses and not getting up till later and nibbling on chocolate given as christmas presents my freezer and cupboards are full so really hoping to be well under budget.

Edited to add I just checked my online banking and OH went to Asda the other day. Not sure what he bought but I have added that to my FarmF shop and so fat have spent 15.78.
    Last edited by kit77; 02-01-2012 at 9:06 PM. Reason: Add spends
    • xxlouisexx56
    • By xxlouisexx56 2nd Jan 12, 9:03 PM
    • 2,191 Posts
    • 30,133 Thanks
    xxlouisexx56
    Hello!
    Put me down for 250 this month.

I spent 26 in morrisons today. They had lots of 1/2 price offers on things we use alot so bought washing liquid, sanex, aquafresh,ham, cleaning sprays. Then nappies /milk/ salad bits

We should have enough baby milk for the month and we have slot of chicken in the freezer

I need to get baby food and wipes

Hitting sainsburys tomorrow for reduced meat

Good luck everyone!
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

843Posts Today

6,704Users online

Martin's Twitter