Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • zippychick
    • By zippychick 4th Jun 11, 11:19 AM
    • 9,343Posts
    • 17,889Thanks
    zippychick
    • 4th Jun 11, 11:19 AM
    4th Jun 11 at 11:19 AM
    Hi everyone,

Welcome to the first Grocery Challenge of 2012

If your new month starts early feel free to join this thread, or if you're still working on your December budget, then keep on posting in the December Grocery Challenge

As always this challenge is to reduce your own grocery budget to levels that you will be pleased with, not forgetting that we always recommend that you stay inside your own comfort levels and take things gently one step at a time. Remember that this is not a competition....it's designed to take you and your grocery spending to a level you are happy with.

If you are new to the challenge I have quoted the advice from Galtizz below which will help you get started.

Please post into this thread for help and advice and support at any time. Good luck to everyone taking part!

I have said this before, but for all the newbies to the challenge;

For the first month I took a guess at the budget but I really had no idea how much I was spending.

I found the best thing is to have a guess the first month but SAVE ALL OF YOUR RECEIPTS (and yes, that does include the ones from the local shop when you run out of milk ), then at the end of the month add them all up and have a look if you were on budget, if not, it doesn't matter because your budget was a guess. For the next month you can use the total of your receipts and take a bit off to get a realistic budget, just shave off as much as you think you can, it could be 1 a week or 20 a week.

If you are currently spending 200 a month don't suddenly drop it to 100 - you'll never do it but if you cut 20 a month off for a few months you'll get there eventually without feeling you're missing out on anything.

You might think you've done everything you can in the first month but someone always comes up with a new idea and, if you try it you often find you save a bit more (unless you are SarahSaver who is an expert at this and could only save more if she turned her back garden into a paddy field and lived on rice ) In the first month I thought, I'm planning meals, I couldn't possibly save any more, but then I started double cooking and freezing, and making soup instead of buying it in tins.

I've been doing this since Feb but only saved ALL of my receipts last month, it has given me a much better idea of where it is all going. Budget for next month is 80 for 2 of us, I'll start on 30/4. I could probably save more, by eating different foods but I can afford to live on 80, I have saved a lot of money since Feb. and I don't waste food or money any more. So I'm happy with my budget.
    For quidelines on posting in this thread please read the second post in this thread.

For the Grocery challenge Recipe Index please see posts #3, #4, #5 and #6 on this thread.

For everyones totals, see post #7 on this thread

I hope everyone has a great month!

Zip
    Last edited by zippychick; 27-12-2011 at 12:52 PM.
    A little nonsense now and then is relished by the wisest men
    Norn Iron club member #380

Page 15
    • hannahroberts1985
    • By hannahroberts1985 30th Dec 11, 5:09 PM
    • 828 Posts
    • 1,096 Thanks
    hannahroberts1985
    Hi Guys, Hope you all had a great christmas. I'm new here and determind to make 2012 the year i start looking at my money properly. I'm gonna take a guess of 100 for January inc cat food. I have already spent 30 so will try stick with the remaining 70.
    emergency fund:179/ 1000 Uniform/car fund:
    boys savings
    Christmas 60 bday 40 holiday

Family loan 7000/5425
    Credit Card 0% 2015.32 eon 435 overdrafts 1500/1300
  • aberdeensaver
    I;m still not including food for the furry critters in this as its just too scary any suggestions as to how to ween a cat off Royal Canin biscuits?
    Originally posted by blackandwhitebunny
    Have you tried to mix it with another type of biscuit, even if you just start with 100g of another dry food with 900g of Royal Canin, he/she might look at a bit funny for a meal (or two) but will soon realise thats all thats on offer. Then you can try and slowly (50g or 100g) at a time start to increase the cheaper food. Only advice when choosing a cheaper food is try and find a similar flavour (for the smell).

Hope it helps.

E x
    Jan GC 242.38/250
    Feb GC 147.57 /240
    2012 Clothes Challenge 97.50/500
    Repay 5K in 2012 254.17/5000
    2012 NSD 14/200 (Jan 14)
  • tracey12
    I had a small grocery spend today of 2.00 for popcorn at the cinema. Our local cinema had a kids club today so it was only 1.50 each to get in and see Happy Feet 2, kids enjoyed it

I had some carrots to use up so made some carrot and lentil soup for tea which was yummy, filling and cheap.

Carrot and lentil soup

1 chopped onion
    5 carrots, peeled and sliced
    4oz red lentils
    1 tin tomatoes
    2 pints of veg stock
    2 cloves of garlic

Cook onion in a pan until soft, add sliced carrots, veg stock, red lentils and garlic. Bring to the boil and then simmer for 20 minutes. By this time carrots should be soft and lentils have swelled. Add tinned tomatoes and heat through and then either use a blender or hand held blender until smooth. Check seasoning and serve.

If you like your soup very thick you can add extra lentils.

There was plenty for tea and then I froze two batches as well.

Tracey
    Officially debt free
    • Greying Pilgrim
    • By Greying Pilgrim 30th Dec 11, 5:34 PM
    • 4,515 Posts
    • 50,956 Thanks
    Greying Pilgrim
    Hi guys, 12.71 of the jan budget spent today - a bit early, but all on either whoopsies or well priced 'stuff'. Including half price (4kg) box of clothes washing powder from the c0*p for 3.50, whoopsied Brazil nuts from W*itrose at 1.29 for 400g BB Apr 2012 and some of the BrAnston baked beans from L!dl at 1 for 4 tins (thanks to the posters that mentioned that deal). And some whoopsied apples for 1.

I also got 2 500g tubs of Flora original for 2 from Mr T's BB17/3/12 - compare that with our local discounter SM that still wants 1.99 for a kilo tub of same BB 24/12/11!!! I know the spread doesn't know it's out of date, but if you can have 'in date' for virtually the same price as outta date, which ya gonna buy??

Also, 'laugh' of day provided by W*itrose. President unsalted butter 250g has been 1.17 in there for a while. Whilst in Mr T's today, noticed that they charged, 1.21 for same. Smug I thought, gosh, even dearer than Mr W's. When I wafted through Mr W's later on, I noticed they were promoting their 'Price Match' with Mr t's on President butter and had raised the price to 1.21!! Guess where the butter stayed?

Have updated siggie, and hope to have nsd or 3 into jan now

Greying
    'Larger than the World's chaos, is it's miracles...' - Katherine Rundell, Author.

'I am not in the pursuit of happiness, only in the discovery of joy' - Joyce Grenfell
    • carolinerunner
    • By carolinerunner 30th Dec 11, 5:44 PM
    • 491 Posts
    • 6,305 Thanks
    carolinerunner
    Hello again
    Hi,
    back on this thread after a long absence, lack of income means we must spend less and (luckily, in a way) as we spend a lot, that shouldn't be too hard, though that might be optimistic... am looking forward to all the great support on this thread.

Just been on my supermarket, set off armed with info about cost of stuff we buy regularly and thought I'd just check at my local Co-*p first - only to find it's cheaper than the big 4 on Heinz beans and Nouvelle loo rolls, hurrah! Also got about 5 worth of whoopsied veg including bags of carrots, 750g, at 15p.

But I realise it's not getting stuff cheaper but getting less stuff that's going to make the difference. The cat food and the wine may be the biggest challenges (cat has sharp claws and is persistent when hungry...)
    • rising from the ashes
    • By rising from the ashes 30th Dec 11, 6:06 PM
    • 12,321 Posts
    • 59,551 Thanks
    rising from the ashes
    I;m still not including food for the furry critters in this as its just too scary any suggestions as to how to ween a cat off Royal Canin biscuits?
    Originally posted by blackandwhitebunny
    How much is it costing you Bunny?

I've managed to get my cost (also only feed Royal Canin) from 8.50 / cat / month down to 3.50 / cat / month - by bulk buying when on offer.

This works out cheaper than I could get food from the sm for.
    Grocery Challenge 211/455 (01/01-31/03)
    2016 Sell: 125/250
    1,000 Emergency Fund Challenge #78 3.96 / 1,000
    Vet Fund: 410.93 / 1,000
    Debt free & determined to stay that way!
    • Spiggle
    • By Spiggle 30th Dec 11, 6:11 PM
    • 1,751 Posts
    • 14,202 Thanks
    Spiggle
    Hiya All,

Did the link for this get posted on the December thread? I must have had my sunglasses on that day!!!

Please Helen put me down for 240 for January.

Gotta run got visitors. See you all tomorrow.

All the best,
    Spigs
    Mortgage Free October 2013
    • Kittenkirst
    • By Kittenkirst 30th Dec 11, 6:12 PM
    • 2,127 Posts
    • 11,833 Thanks
    Kittenkirst
    We'd like to join for Jan, I usually try to do it from the 15th (pay day) but due to a change in my work voucher scheme we'll be getting 110 sainsburys vouchers a month which cant be used on petrol. So our grocery shopping will now all be done in Mr S's but will only use vouchers. So my aim for Jan is 110 Thats for 2 of us but will need to include lunches (we're getting better at this but def still room for improvement :0)
    2019 MFW #201172.70/ 4500 26%

Mort- Oct16 170.995 (end Nov 2041) Dec18 152,838

Overpayments 2016 255.50 2017 2600.40 2018 4500
    Referral codes= Prolific- 8JXN5BVG shopmium- ACEAHKFA Shoppix- 57VB13QH
    • plzhelpmesave!
    • By plzhelpmesave! 30th Dec 11, 6:45 PM
    • 1,302 Posts
    • 2,869 Thanks
    plzhelpmesave!
    Hi

Can I join please?

2 adults & 3 kids pls - no pets. Includes all cleaning, food and housholdy type things...

300 for January.

I am going food shopping tomorrow so will starrt from tomorrow. Will be paying cash, keeping all receipts and noting in spending diary, as well as meal planning. We're doing low carbs froom 1st jan, so will also stock up on chicken, fish & veg....

Here we go!
    • tessie bear
    • By tessie bear 30th Dec 11, 6:50 PM
    • 4,324 Posts
    • 29,765 Thanks
    tessie bear
    just posted on the wrong challenge what a muppet.....nearly got the budget sorted for next year which is pleasing

have a happy new year

tessa
    onwards and upwards
    • angelatgraceland
    • By angelatgraceland 30th Dec 11, 6:56 PM
    • 3,318 Posts
    • 23,074 Thanks
    angelatgraceland
    Small spend today(still in December budget). bought 4 large bottles of milk(2 litre ones) for 50p each. Was going to make massive rice pudding(4 pinter)but ran out of rice. However I found a bag of semolina in the cupboard so used that-just like school dinners! It was nice with homemade raspberry and cherry jam though!
    Went to the High Street and booked 2 financial reviews with 2 different banks to refresh my finances for 2012. Spent an hour or two on a new spreadsheet for my budgets and another for savings. They WILL balance! A little jiggle around does wonders so if you have the good fortune to have any savings do check the interest rates as some are just a quarter of a per cent. Make it your mission and put it in a one year bond-that year flies by! I feel very content tonight with a good days work checking things out/making comparisons and doing some research. Just need to get my online banking unlocked now and check my credit cards/print off the statements-I forget about them as I settle in full by DD every month.
    Annual Grocery budget 2018 is 1500 pa 125 calendar month 28.84 pw for 3 adults
    • MoneyMission
    • By MoneyMission 30th Dec 11, 7:15 PM
    • 632 Posts
    • 3,147 Thanks
    MoneyMission
    Hello.

Can I join in please? Can you put me down for 370.00 for 1st Jan to 31st Jan. This is breakfast, lunch and dinner for myself and 2 little people 7 days a week, and just breakfast and dinner for OH as he gets fed at work each week day (I do give him lunch at the weekend too!!!).

Thank you.
    MFW Challenge 2019 - 1,470 / 2,420 - 60.74%
    • Hayze1980
    • By Hayze1980 30th Dec 11, 7:20 PM
    • 30 Posts
    • 124 Thanks
    Hayze1980
    Could I join in please? I quietly had a go at this last year, with varying degrees of success, but I really need to get a handle on my spending this year. Could you put me down for 200 for January. That's 2 adults, 2 teens and a dog. Last year I was averaging 250, so 200 should be do-able.
    • freyasmum
    • By freyasmum 30th Dec 11, 7:33 PM
    • 16,731 Posts
    • 48,920 Thanks
    freyasmum
    Can you send him to give mine some lessons, OH seems to think that brand names are a show of wealth I keep trying to tell him its the wealthy who penny pinch but he just gives me a withering look
    Originally posted by SueP19
    My uncle is a millionaire many, many times over. He and his wife waste NOTHING, they buy NOTHING that they don't need (brands), they spend not ONE penny more than they need to (and EVERY one is accounted for) and they've been wearing the same clothes for as long as I can remember - ones that were once black are now washed out grey. Their furniture is not replaced every few years either - it's been there almost as long as me and, in the case of some pieces, longer!

The pseudo-rich, the people who are for show are the ones that care about brands and have designer this and that splattered all over the place but the real rich don't care what people think about them, they already know they're loaded. And they didn't get there by spending a fortune on unnecessary 'stuff'

Post 268 - budgets done to here

Helen
    Originally posted by helen jelly
    Eek! that means that it's really on then

Reporting a spend of 12.85 on the grocery front.

My munchkin has a frube every day in her packed lunch at school - it's easier than sending a tub and a spoon. They're 2 for 3.50 in Tesco and Sainsburys but 1/pack in Asda. I got 10 packs

I also got 3 x mozzarella balls for 90p, low fat natural yoghurt for 55p, 3 pack of courgettes for 90p and munchkin put a pack of 'sparagus' which will do for breakfast tomorrow into the basket as well, so another 50p.

Aaand, I found the blender I wanted - well a lesser package, but it still comes with the masher - on Tesco. This version was 29.97 and then I found I had cc vouchers still to play with. I ended up paying 6.97 and then had cashback on that as well

So total of 19.82/2000
    • Gorgeestwo
    • By Gorgeestwo 30th Dec 11, 7:34 PM
    • 364 Posts
    • 5,889 Thanks
    Gorgeestwo

I had some carrots to use up so made some carrot and lentil soup for tea which was yummy, filling and cheap.

Carrot and lentil soup

1 chopped onion
    5 carrots, peeled and sliced
    4oz red lentils
    1 tin tomatoes
    2 pints of veg stock
    2 cloves of garlic

Cook onion in a pan until soft, add sliced carrots, veg stock, red lentils and garlic. Bring to the boil and then simmer for 20 minutes. By this time carrots should be soft and lentils have swelled. Add tinned tomatoes and heat through and then either use a blender or hand held blender until smooth. Check seasoning and serve.

If you like your soup very thick you can add extra lentils.

There was plenty for tea and then I froze two batches as well.

Tracey
    Originally posted by tracey12
    Will definitely give this a go thank you I'd like to use more lentils in cooking, but am a little bit scared of them so think this will be an easy way to get started
    Grocery challenge : January 2016 65.86/300
    For 2 adults, 2 children (10 & 9 yrs) 3 cats & 2 dogs.

• carolinerunner
    • By carolinerunner 30th Dec 11, 7:41 PM
    • 491 Posts
    • 6,305 Thanks
    carolinerunner
    gorgeestwo, lentils are a Godsend! I put them into any kind of mushy mix, eg shepherds pie or bolognese sauce, they disappear in about 30 mins and NOBODY including my fussy kids knows they are there, haha! They thicken a sauce and add protein and they're cheap. What's not to like ?
    • Hiddenidenity
    • By Hiddenidenity 30th Dec 11, 8:00 PM
    • 5,213 Posts
    • 26,759 Thanks
    Hiddenidenity
    Hello everyone, Hope everyne had a good Xmas and Happy New Year for when it comes x

Thank you for adding me to the list
    • Kylieminoag
    • By Kylieminoag 30th Dec 11, 8:00 PM
    • 159 Posts
    • 2,649 Thanks
    Kylieminoag
    Advice request,,,
    Am humming and hawing about whether to spend some of this months budget on a bread maker. Please can anyone offer me any advice? The family get through a full sliced loaf every other day. What would be most economical?

Thanks
    DFWNerd 1417
    MFW by 2018 Jan 2012 186,000 Sept 2015 50,000
    • jedi82
    • By jedi82 30th Dec 11, 8:08 PM
    • 406 Posts
    • 3,548 Thanks
    jedi82
    Did first weekly shop today and spent 102 but this did include washing powder etc and the cupboards were bare (went away for xmas). Still confident to stay on track this month.

Am actually pleased with myself for making all meals from scratch today using up leftovers in the fridge and whoopsied pork mince (made meatballs and ven got some left over for DHs sandwich tomorrow!)

Cheers, jedi x
    Finally getting my life on track. Onwards and upwards.
    BSC No 327
    GC Jan 336.91/450
    GC Feb 0/400
    • jo101
    • By jo101 30th Dec 11, 8:28 PM
    • 151 Posts
    • 331 Thanks
    jo101
    Hi

I would like to join please as I really need to get my act together. I am mainly shopping at Aldi this month so I am hoping to stick to 250 for the month for 2 adults and 3 kids.

JO
    Starting with a clean slate.

August grocery challenge - 250
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

1,630Posts Today

7,701Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • RT @Gumtree: @MartinSLewis Hi Martin, we do not tolerate unscrupulous advertising by third parties on the Gumtree platform and are working?

• Today's Twitter Poll: How do you view nuclear power? Is it an environmentally friendly form of clean renewable ene? https://t.co/WE5pRJ1Jsx

• So how much work do I actually do on the MSE weekly email these days, now I?m in the exhaulted position of ?Executi? https://t.co/b8XWxPiUwn

• Follow Martin