Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • zippychick
    • By zippychick 4th Jun 11, 11:19 AM
    • 9,343Posts
    • 17,889Thanks
    zippychick
    • 4th Jun 11, 11:19 AM
    4th Jun 11 at 11:19 AM
    Hi everyone,

Welcome to the first Grocery Challenge of 2012

If your new month starts early feel free to join this thread, or if you're still working on your December budget, then keep on posting in the December Grocery Challenge

As always this challenge is to reduce your own grocery budget to levels that you will be pleased with, not forgetting that we always recommend that you stay inside your own comfort levels and take things gently one step at a time. Remember that this is not a competition....it's designed to take you and your grocery spending to a level you are happy with.

If you are new to the challenge I have quoted the advice from Galtizz below which will help you get started.

Please post into this thread for help and advice and support at any time. Good luck to everyone taking part!

I have said this before, but for all the newbies to the challenge;

For the first month I took a guess at the budget but I really had no idea how much I was spending.

I found the best thing is to have a guess the first month but SAVE ALL OF YOUR RECEIPTS (and yes, that does include the ones from the local shop when you run out of milk ), then at the end of the month add them all up and have a look if you were on budget, if not, it doesn't matter because your budget was a guess. For the next month you can use the total of your receipts and take a bit off to get a realistic budget, just shave off as much as you think you can, it could be 1 a week or 20 a week.

If you are currently spending 200 a month don't suddenly drop it to 100 - you'll never do it but if you cut 20 a month off for a few months you'll get there eventually without feeling you're missing out on anything.

You might think you've done everything you can in the first month but someone always comes up with a new idea and, if you try it you often find you save a bit more (unless you are SarahSaver who is an expert at this and could only save more if she turned her back garden into a paddy field and lived on rice ) In the first month I thought, I'm planning meals, I couldn't possibly save any more, but then I started double cooking and freezing, and making soup instead of buying it in tins.

I've been doing this since Feb but only saved ALL of my receipts last month, it has given me a much better idea of where it is all going. Budget for next month is 80 for 2 of us, I'll start on 30/4. I could probably save more, by eating different foods but I can afford to live on 80, I have saved a lot of money since Feb. and I don't waste food or money any more. So I'm happy with my budget.
    For quidelines on posting in this thread please read the second post in this thread.

For the Grocery challenge Recipe Index please see posts #3, #4, #5 and #6 on this thread.

For everyones totals, see post #7 on this thread

I hope everyone has a great month!

Zip
    Last edited by zippychick; 27-12-2011 at 12:52 PM.
    A little nonsense now and then is relished by the wisest men
    Norn Iron club member #380

Page 11
    • camNolliesMUMMY
    • By camNolliesMUMMY 29th Dec 11, 6:34 PM
    • 893 Posts
    • 4,464 Thanks
    camNolliesMUMMY
    I want to join this thread as need to save money pay off my credit card only owe 350 but i cant afford to pay all in one go, also got baby due in march and want to save for a house.

150 budget for us please, we consist of 2 adults, 4 year old ds1 and one cat
    Il be doing the challenge by not going into the supermarket and only buying online and nipping to corner shop for things like milk when it runs out.

will now adjust my signature for the challenge im really trying to keep on track.
    Ds2 born 3/4/12 8lbs 8.5
    Ds1 born 28/4/07 9lb 8
    Frugal, thrifty, tight mum & wife and proud of it lol

Make money for Xmas challenge 2014 0/270
    • ModestyB
    • By ModestyB 29th Dec 11, 6:35 PM
    • 1,573 Posts
    • 15,283 Thanks
    ModestyB

I REALLY need to get into meal planning - I do it but it is really half hearted and we often give in and get takeaway if we don't fancy what is on the plan!! I have also got to be firmer with the kids - the younger one constantly brings her friends into the house at mealtimes and asks me, in front of them, if they can stay for tea and I always feel embarassed and say yes, even if it means that I only have a piece of toast because there isn't enough (like last night), but yet she is never asked back to their houses for meals. I am sick of telling her not to ask but she persists in doing it!!

My month has already started (yesterday) but as yet I haven't spent anything. I would love to be able to get through the weekend without spending!!
    Originally posted by recovering spendaholic
    If your daughter asks again why not say "yes, as long as you share your portion with them" and make sure she does. Hopefully it might make her think twice about asking again. You should not go hungry for other people's kids. Your family need you to be strong for them.
    S.P.C. 9 2016 No. 062 Banked 337.50
    My Gold Stars off Sue.
    • SueP19
    • By SueP19 29th Dec 11, 6:45 PM
    • 1,706 Posts
    • 14,488 Thanks
    SueP19
    I have just found this thread and would like to join please

Last January I spent about 425/month and have cut back to about 325/month now but still feel I would like to do more

I would like to stick to a budget of 70/week

So can you put me down for 303 for January

Mort Oct 15 70,353 66,422 58,804 MF Dec 31 Jun 31(191 176 mnths)
    EF 2016 700/1,000 Debt May 09 30,217Oct 17 14,093Nov 18 6,336.12[/B]
    • ModestyB
    • By ModestyB 29th Dec 11, 7:01 PM
    • 1,573 Posts
    • 15,283 Thanks
    ModestyB
    Hi all, my 200 pm is for food only as I put extra money aside for cleaning stuff etc. And I have a cupboard full of loo rolls, courtesy of the Prep for Winter thread. Lol!
    Actually won't need any washing powder/liquid tabs for months as I bought a kilo of soapnuts a couple of months ago and only used a fraction so far. They've saved me loads already. Thanks to everyone on here who recommended them. They save on fabric conditioner too.
    Not starting GC till the1st so haven't anything to put in my sig. yet.
    Good luck to everyone.
    S.P.C. 9 2016 No. 062 Banked 337.50
    My Gold Stars off Sue.
    • tigerfeet2006
    • By tigerfeet2006 29th Dec 11, 7:02 PM
    • 13,826 Posts
    • 29,891 Thanks
    tigerfeet2006
    Well there will be no cauli and broc cheese tomorrow as the tin has been licked clean. There is absolutely none left at all and if I had had more they would have scoffed that to.

Recovering Spendaholic , your kids seem to rule the roost if you don't mind me saying. Please remember that NO is a complete sentence. You also may find that doing a list of seven meals and then choosing what suits YOU on the day. Maybe sit them down and get them all to list favourite meals and get a list of twenty or so that you can do your meal plans from and then you should have things that they like.
    BSCno.87
    The only stupid question is an unasked one
    Loving life as a Kernow Hippy
    • Gorgeestwo
    • By Gorgeestwo 29th Dec 11, 7:08 PM
    • 364 Posts
    • 5,889 Thanks
    Gorgeestwo
    Hi
    Please could I be put down for
    350 for January (thats for 2 adults, 2 hungry children, 2 cats, 2 rabbits 4 guinea pigs and a few fish )
    I MUST stick to keeping track for this challenge as I always give up about half way through the month and food shopping is the main way we overspend really
    Going to do my first shop of Jan tomorrow, shouldn't really need too much as we've just got back from staying with MIL for a few day's and she's sent us back home with a fair amount of bits and pieces , though some of it is a bit random so could be some interesting meals for the next week or so
    Good luck everyone.
    Grocery challenge : January 2016 65.86/300
    For 2 adults, 2 children (10 & 9 yrs) 3 cats & 2 dogs.

• mooomin
    • By mooomin 29th Dec 11, 7:11 PM
    • 13,655 Posts
    • 134,514 Thanks
    mooomin
    Recovering Spendaholic, if your daughter asks for someone to stay for tea in front of her friends again, could you say something like "I've told you before I don't mind your friends having tea here, but you have to give me advance notice as tonight we've only got enough food for [however many people]". If you keep doing that both her (and more importantly her friends) will get the message.

What you might find is that her friends may be more considerate and stop her from asking as they remember what you've said even if she conveniently forgets

This kind of tactic worked well with me when I was a thoughtless teenager
    Comping again

Wins this year: - two night trip to Belgium, 100 Gett taxi credit, tickets to Newcastle game, FIFA 2016 for PS4, stitch markers, Cumberstitching book
  • aberdeensaver
    Recovering spendaholic, can you give your daughter a limit per month of her having her friends for tea? Maybe batch cook some portions of a kids favourite and freeze them, give her a limit per month (you decide on how often) and on the nights she does ask, you and the rest of the family can eat to plan (save her portion and freeze it for a later date) and her and her friend can have something you have kept frozen ready for her to ask?!
    Jan GC 242.38/250
    Feb GC 147.57 /240
    2012 Clothes Challenge 97.50/500
    Repay 5K in 2012 254.17/5000
    2012 NSD 14/200 (Jan 14)
    • LavenderBees
    • By LavenderBees 29th Dec 11, 7:36 PM
    • 1,703 Posts
    • 17,718 Thanks
    LavenderBees
    My goodness, doesn't this thread move fast! I read the first 6 pages tonight, but every time I move on a page, another page is added, so I've had to give up for now Apols to those who posted pages 6 to 9....I'll try to keep up from now....

I have my first January spend to admit to - siggy update below -a couple of days early but that was only as the shops were on my way home from the panto this afternoon. Saves another car journey.

But honestly! I'm getting fed up with myself - it's almost like I'm 2 different people! I got my very short list of things from Lidl 4 ish, but then went into Mr M's and bought whoopsied stuff for 8 - yes, bargains, but no, I didn't need them. I then had to spend half an hour doing the freezer shuffle. How I managed to fit them in is a minor miracle.

So, I'm not going near the shops again until NEXT Friday (6th) and only for fresh fruit/veges. NOTHING ELSE!

You heard it here first folks...

Happy New Year to you and yours. May the best of 2011 be the worst of 2012.

xx

P.S. will prob order cat food tomorrow and have decided that 28 will come out of my food budget, so will update my siggy when that's done. It'll make this month's challenge all the more challenging, but dear me, if I can't spend less when I have full freezer and store cupboards, when can I??
  • Mrs Sparrow
    Evening folks

First 'spend' for the month to report.

41.73 in total split 0.75 in Mr M, 9.04 in Mr L and 31.94 in Mr A.

Was hoping to come in under 40 for the week but hey ho

Jan 2012 GC: 98.05/200.00
    Dec 2011 GC: 285.14/200.00
    Estimated debt free date September 2018
    • Justamum
    • By Justamum 29th Dec 11, 7:52 PM
    • 4,689 Posts
    • 35,927 Thanks
    Justamum
    Just tried to put together my first batch of bread dough, no idea how long I was supposed to knead it for and what to do with it once I had, so might be a bit hit and miss. I hope this will become an important part of my living frugally this year hope it doesnt take too much trial and error to get it right.
    Originally posted by aberdeensaver
    I'm a bit of a "can't be *rsed" kneader to be honest. I just make sure that it's well mixed and knead it for a couple of minutes, then leave it in the bowl for as long as needed (sometimes usually longer than 12 hours).

• superduperloop
    • By superduperloop 29th Dec 11, 7:53 PM
    • 61 Posts
    • 330 Thanks
    superduperloop
    Hi everyone, I really need to join this challenge, hopefully it'll help with a couple of other I've joined.

I'm taking the advice given in the early post, starting easy and keeping my receipts. Hopefully I'll see cutbacks quickly.

Please can you put me down for 440 in January

Looking forward to this
    On a Money Saving Mission.......

Every Penny's a Prisoner
    • meg72
    • By meg72 29th Dec 11, 7:53 PM
    • 5,082 Posts
    • 46,072 Thanks
    meg72

I REALLY need to get into meal planning - I do it but it is really half hearted and we often give in and get takeaway if we don't fancy what is on the plan!! I have also got to be firmer with the kids - the younger one constantly brings her friends into the house at mealtimes and asks me, in front of them, if they can stay for tea and I always feel embarassed and say yes, even if it means that I only have a piece of toast because there isn't enough (like last night), but yet she is never asked back to their houses for meals. I am sick of telling her not to ask but she persists in doing it!!

My month has already started (yesterday) but as yet I haven't spent anything. I would love to be able to get through the weekend without spending!!
    Originally posted by recovering spendaholic
    Sorry love but if that was my daughter,SHE would be the one eating a piece of toast.to teach her some respect and consideration for her Mum.
    Slimming World at target
    • Justamum
    • By Justamum 29th Dec 11, 7:55 PM
    • 4,689 Posts
    • 35,927 Thanks
    Justamum
    Please, please tell me how you've managed to get all yours to eat tins / cheaper food!
    Originally posted by rising from the ashes
    He's just never been fussy, so I suppose we have been lucky. He could have been a caviar cat I suppose We used to have a cat years ago who loved bacon rind, but only once you had thrown it into the kitchen bin, and the she would climb up and hook it out!

• rising from the ashes
    • By rising from the ashes 29th Dec 11, 7:57 PM
    • 12,321 Posts
    • 59,551 Thanks
    rising from the ashes
    Good news of the day .... just received an email from Sainsbugs for a 10 off 50 spend which is valid until mid Jan (was really impressed with their basics stuff - got an online order for the 1st time during Oct as the store is miles away).

I've also got around 9 worth of vouchers (need to spend 40) @ Mr As (valid until the 10th)....

Will have to do some serious planning and make use of them - so stocking up may be happening!
    Grocery Challenge 211/455 (01/01-31/03)
    2016 Sell: 125/250
    1,000 Emergency Fund Challenge #78 3.96 / 1,000
    Vet Fund: 410.93 / 1,000
    Debt free & determined to stay that way!
    • XSpender
    • By XSpender 29th Dec 11, 8:06 PM
    • 3,412 Posts
    • 34,917 Thanks
    XSpender
    Had a small success tonight that I wanted to share with you all if you don't mind.

I bought a half price Enchillada kit from Mr S a few weeks ago (my favourite) and usually use a 500g bag of quorn pieces as per the instructions which makes enough for me and DH dinner and my lunch the following day. If I buy the kit full price this works out as a very expensive dinner.

Tonight I used half the amount of pieces, the other half will do another complete meal for us, and a tin of value kidney beans and it was lovely. DH said it was better with the beans than all qu0rn

I may be tempted to go all beans next time as I stocked up on the half price kits and have another couple in the cupboard

I have updated my sig as best I can but my figures are at work and I am off poorly. I know there is 20 on takeaways to add and about the same on food at work but it will have to wait until the new year to be accurate.

Off to Aldi tomorrow to do the week's shop, may also need a small trip to Mr S for calpol and owt they don't have that I need for my menu plan. Hoping to spend no more than 60 including something nice for NYE dinner.
    October Grocery Challenge - 277.74/220
    • JIL
    • By JIL 29th Dec 11, 8:39 PM
    • 4,994 Posts
    • 25,172 Thanks
    JIL
    any chance you could share your recipe please, would be good to list it on the front page?

Originally posted by rosieben
    I am more than happy to,

Smoked Mackerel and rocket fishcakes.

1 packet of smoked mackerel (Aldi approx 90p try the different flavours for a change)

A handful of rocket. chopped up a little

1lb approx mashed potatoes

seasoning, chopped spring onion if liked.

A beaten egg.
    flour
    Breadcrumbs.

Skin the Mackerel (its easy and comes of really well)

pull it apart into small chunks and mix into the potatoes with the rocket, seasoning etc.

form into cakes (i use a pastry cutter and put it down on a floured chopping board and fill it to get round shapes.

coat in flour, then into the beaten egg then into the breadcrumbs.

fry in a little oil.

I often make fishcakes, and have used tinned salmon, with spring onion/chilli, Tinned tuna and left over mozzarella/sweetcorn mixed into the mixture, all make a little bit of fish stretch further and look quiet impressive. They also go well on a buffet if you make small ones. I just looked at the posh ones in the supermarkets and worked out a home made version.

I left one mackerel fillet out and made some smoked mackerel pate.

which was just a teaspoon of lemon, the smoked mackerel fillet, a dessert spoon of sour cream and a dessert spoon of cream cheese all whizzed together. It was surprisingly nice on toast.
    • ms_night_ryder
    • By ms_night_ryder 29th Dec 11, 8:41 PM
    • 3,001 Posts
    • 11,582 Thanks
    ms_night_ryder
    I have 1.77 to add from mr t's bought x18 andrex on the go rolls, the mini hand bagn size ones as they were only 6p each, x4 paella tapas and 3 loose carrots, the 4 mini paellas were from. The whoopsie section and took another 2.50 off my bill, oh yes, got 4 mary berry cupcake packs, they are now selling at 50p , as my aunt,gram and cuz each asked me ti get them 1, I kept one, as they were gifts, will only count mine, so 2.27 to add, not bad, could have been way more.
    Lose 28lb 3/28lb
    SPC Member 1522/2012-264/ new pot 2013
    • meg72
    • By meg72 29th Dec 11, 8:56 PM
    • 5,082 Posts
    • 46,072 Thanks
    meg72
    I have 1.77 to add from mr t's bought x18 andrex on the go rolls, the mini hand bagn size ones as they were only 6p each, x4 paella tapas and 3 loose carrots, the 4 mini paellas were from. The whoopsie section and took another 2.50 off my bill, oh yes, got 4 mary berry cupcake packs, they are now selling at 50p , as my aunt,gram and cuz each asked me ti get them 1, I kept one, as they were gifts, will only count mine, so 2.27 to add, not bad, could have been way more.
    Originally posted by ms_night_ryder
    Bless you I love the way you share your bargains with your family. This to meis true old style.
    Slimming World at target
    • Souk08
    • By Souk08 29th Dec 11, 9:23 PM
    • 3,237 Posts
    • 18,070 Thanks
    Souk08
    Can you please put me down for 60 for this month for all food for me. Thanks
    'The road to a friends house is never long'
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

1,083Posts Today

7,399Users online

Martin's Twitter