Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • zippychick
    • By zippychick 4th Jun 11, 11:19 AM
    • 9,343Posts
    • 17,889Thanks
    zippychick
    • 4th Jun 11, 11:19 AM
    4th Jun 11 at 11:19 AM
    Hi everyone,

Welcome to the twelth and final Grocery Challenge of 2011

Don't forget we have the Christmas 2011 OS preparation thread. The first post is an excellent resrouce for links and threads, so please do use it

If your new month starts early feel free to join this thread, or if you're still working on your November budget, then keep on posting in the November Grocery Challenge

As always this challenge is to reduce your own grocery budget to levels that you will be pleased with, not forgetting that we always recommend that you stay inside your own comfort levels and take things gently one step at a time. Remember that this is not a competition....it's designed to take you and your grocery spending to a level you are happy with.

If you are new to the challenge I have quoted the advice from Galtizz below which will help you get started.

Please post into this thread for help and advice and support at any time. Good luck to everyone taking part!

I have said this before, but for all the newbies to the challenge;

For the first month I took a guess at the budget but I really had no idea how much I was spending.

I found the best thing is to have a guess the first month but SAVE ALL OF YOUR RECEIPTS (and yes, that does include the ones from the local shop when you run out of milk ), then at the end of the month add them all up and have a look if you were on budget, if not, it doesn't matter because your budget was a guess. For the next month you can use the total of your receipts and take a bit off to get a realistic budget, just shave off as much as you think you can, it could be 1 a week or 20 a week.

If you are currently spending 200 a month don't suddenly drop it to 100 - you'll never do it but if you cut 20 a month off for a few months you'll get there eventually without feeling you're missing out on anything.

You might think you've done everything you can in the first month but someone always comes up with a new idea and, if you try it you often find you save a bit more (unless you are SarahSaver who is an expert at this and could only save more if she turned her back garden into a paddy field and lived on rice ) In the first month I thought, I'm planning meals, I couldn't possibly save any more, but then I started double cooking and freezing, and making soup instead of buying it in tins.

I've been doing this since Feb but only saved ALL of my receipts last month, it has given me a much better idea of where it is all going. Budget for next month is 80 for 2 of us, I'll start on 30/4. I could probably save more, by eating different foods but I can afford to live on 80, I have saved a lot of money since Feb. and I don't waste food or money any more. So I'm happy with my budget.
    For quidelines on posting in this thread please read the second post in this thread.

For the Grocery challenge Recipe Index please see posts #3, #4, #5 and #6 on this thread.

For everyones totals, see post #7 on this thread

I hope everyone has a great month!

Zip
    Last edited by zippychick; 17-11-2011 at 9:18 AM.
    A little nonsense now and then is relished by the wisest men
    Norn Iron club member #380

Page 40
  • helen jelly
    Morning all

I have made a note of all the budgets set so far

I am away from the comp for a few days but please continue to post your budgets - I'll catch up a day or 2 after Xmas

Merry Christmas everyone and thank you all for posting - I've found this thread to be one of the most helpful in reducing spends [Grabbit board makes me spend!! lol]

Helen x
    Projects made for craft fair - 40
    1st fair on 13/4/14
    • quintwins
    • By quintwins 23rd Dec 11, 8:39 AM
    • 5,058 Posts
    • 29,575 Thanks
    quintwins
    morning all, not long til santa comes now had tea at mil yesterday so today were having casarole for dinner, nsd as we don't need anything
    OCT GC 196.12/200
  • rosieben
    helen, have a great christmas and big thank you for all the work you do keeping our budgets in order
    ... don't throw the string away. You always need string!

C.R.A.P.R.O.L.L.Z Head Sharpener
    • tigerfeet2006
    • By tigerfeet2006 23rd Dec 11, 9:08 AM
    • 13,826 Posts
    • 29,891 Thanks
    tigerfeet2006
    Helen, thank for all your hard work with keeping us in order. Hope you have a lovely Christmas.

Will have to add another 75 to my total later. Have been to Ald! And MrT to stock up. Hopefully that should be it now until the new budget except for milk.

Did Chicken with chorizo and bacon last night in the slow cooker. So glad I did as DH was out with the kids buying my present and I wasn't sure when they would get home and I took a tumble down the stairs so was in no state to sort dinner when they came home. Everyone ate it and said it was yummy so I was pleased. Let me know if anyone wants me to put the recipe up.
    BSCno.87
    The only stupid question is an unasked one
    Loving life as a Kernow Hippy
    • quintwins
    • By quintwins 23rd Dec 11, 9:23 AM
    • 5,058 Posts
    • 29,575 Thanks
    quintwins

I took a tumble down the stairs
    Originally posted by tigerfeet2006
    i hope you ok
    OCT GC 196.12/200
    • meg72
    • By meg72 23rd Dec 11, 9:24 AM
    • 5,082 Posts
    • 46,072 Thanks
    meg72
    Helen, thank for all your hard work with keeping us in order. Hope you have a lovely Christmas.

Will have to add another 75 to my total later. Have been to Ald! And MrT to stock up. Hopefully that should be it now until the new budget except for milk.

Did Chicken with chorizo and bacon last night in the slow cooker. So glad I did as DH was out with the kids buying my present and I wasn't sure when they would get home and I took a tumble down the stairs so was in no state to sort dinner when they came home. Everyone ate it and said it was yummy so I was pleased. Let me know if anyone wants me to put the recipe up.
    Would love to see the recipe please.So sorry to hear of your fall,
    hope you are not bruised too much, Shakes you up dosent it.
    Best wishes.
    Slimming World at target
  • Long tall sally
    Hope you are ok tigerfeet2006!

Declaring at 490 for December and Helen can I try again for my usual 450 for January please.

I am going to mull over the cash only or separate bank account for food spends only options. I think both would probably help me as I am definitely a "slap it on the card" kind of girl and therein probably lies my first problem! I bank with HSBC and have a normal account & a savings account with them. Is it easy to arrange to have an additional account?

We have got all we need for xmas now & won't actually have a lot of time for food shopping today or tomorrow so hopefully that will be the spends for a few days.

Merry christmas to everyone and thankyou all for your support and contributions.
    Grocery aim 450pm.Spent 519 August, 584 July, 544 June, 541 May, 549 April, 517 March, 517 Feb,555 Jan, 573 Dec, 465Nov, 561Oct, 493Sept, 426Aug,496 Jul, 528Jun, 506May,498April, 558 March, 500Feb, 500 Jan, 490 Dec, 555 Nov,566 Oct, 505Sept, 450Aug, 410 July, 437 June, 491 May, 471 April, 440 March, 552Feb, 462Jan
    • eveie189
    • By eveie189 23rd Dec 11, 9:52 AM
    • 300 Posts
    • 2,896 Thanks
    eveie189
    Hi all,

Completely blown this months budget. Could I please set 400 for January?. Have already spent some of January budget on laundry liquid from Mr T's.

Eveie
    April GC 9th-7th may 0/320
  • wannabehermit
    Declaring for Nov/Dec at 428.48. Almost 100 below budget. Very happy with that indeed.

Dec/Jan budget starts today, going to drop my target gradually, because even though I've come in a long way under both months I don't want to put too much pressure on myself, so aiming for 500.
    Clean credit file:12 mths
    Car loan: FREE!
    THE PLAN: 1.Pay off debt 8808.42(3254.45, 1570.32, 2698.33, 0, 1000, 285.32) 2.Save monthly for Christmas/insurance etc 150 per month 3.Save for emergencies /1500 4.Save for our B&B ????depends which one takes our fancy
    • tigerfeet2006
    • By tigerfeet2006 23rd Dec 11, 10:53 AM
    • 13,826 Posts
    • 29,891 Thanks
    tigerfeet2006
    Thanks for your concern folks. I was extremely shaken and am bruised to booggery, it hurts to move BUT no concussion, no broken bones and no trip needed to A&E. I have very strong painkillers anyway due to other problems so I have been maximising those. Think the worse was I was alone in the house at the time and having gone top to bottom I was paniking to start with as nothing seemed to be moving right and I couldn't get to my phone easily but as I sorted myself out it soon became clear that I was fine.

Long Tall Sally, I have 3 accounts with my bank and had no problems opening the extra ones. I also have acoounts with a different bank as well. My grocery money goes in a specific account and that is what I have to spend, it focuses the mind some what.

OK then SC Chicken with chorizo and bacon (gluten and dairy free)

MrT frozen Simply Cook Chicken Thighs 1KG (2.49), MrT Continental Selection Chorizo, chopped into quaters (1,49 used half and the rest will go in sandwiches), MrT value cooking bacon 500g, chopped (99p, half used in this and half to be used in a cabonara tonight), 2 medium onions, sliced (from my 4kg sack, so pennies) 2 garlic cloves, crushed (pennies again). 3 or 4 carrots sliced (MrT market value 2kg 89p, so pennies), 2 tins chopped tomato (MrT value 38p), Potatoes, chopped into quarters (MrT market value white potaoes 5kg 1.69 so pennies), frozen peppers, a couple of handfuls (MrT sliced mixed peppers 500g 1), black olives 100g (I had half a jar lurking in the back of the fridge but MrT black pitted olives 330g 79p, so you can get 3 meals out of a jar), 1tsp paprika, 1 tblsp parsley, 200ml chicken stock (or 100ml stock, 100ml white wine if you have some to use up)

In a big pan fry off the chicken pieces and put in SC, fry off chorizo and bacon and sling in the SC, fry off the onion, garlic and carrots and bung into SC. Add the rest of the ingredients to the SC and pop on low for the day. You have a complete meal and there is no need to cook extra to add to it when you come home.

This served 5 of us plus a portion for the freezer.
    Last edited by tigerfeet2006; 23-12-2011 at 10:59 AM.
    BSCno.87
    The only stupid question is an unasked one
    Loving life as a Kernow Hippy
    • forever saving
    • By forever saving 23rd Dec 11, 10:55 AM
    • 565 Posts
    • 8,850 Thanks
    forever saving
    I am finally able to post again. I'm afraid i have lost receipts since i last posted. The ones i have take me to 325.69. So i will be way over. I don't have a final figure to declare, so its a big fail this month.
    I would like to thank Helen for keeping us all on track .
    to you all.
    FS x
    Jan GC 298.62/300 Feb 298.01/300 March 331.06/300 April 69.96/300
    Learning to accept the things i cannot change
  • tracey12
    Quick update on my total so far 3767.45/4300 with just one more week to go. Done really well this year but definitely made more use of coupons and glitches. Only need a few more fresh items for Christmas and will pick them up over the next few nights to make the most of the reduced items, got a pile (dont know the collective noun perhaps flutter ) of pousins RTC for 45p each. Used to spatchcock these and tell the kids we were having roast frog when they were little.
    Originally posted by russetred
    When my dd was younger I cooked a chicken and she said "Is that a frog, mummy?" so we always call it roast frog now. She also used to call pears, penguins as they looked like the same shape

I have got my big christmas shop coming later from Mr T, should be around 85. Hopefully most of the order will be there.

Tracey
    Officially debt free
    • rising from the ashes
    • By rising from the ashes 23rd Dec 11, 12:00 PM
    • 12,321 Posts
    • 59,551 Thanks
    rising from the ashes
    Well, delighted to say the new fridge/freezer arrived this morning nearly 2 weeks without one living with a carton of milk etc in the garage has been awful!

It's currently nearly at the end of its 4 hour "sit" and will be plugged in very shortly ....

Good job as I've already been to Mr A (stuff is in the boot) - it was heaving honestly I was at the checkouts for ages - there was a woman in front with a load of clothing and the checkout person spent about 10 mins sorting out the coat-hangers. Surely when it's that busy they shouldn't be bothering with that sort of thing!

Anyway, I'm back after a fairly hefty spend of 52.94 - not unexpected as I had no fresh stuff at all!

Total standing at 116.17/150 and should hopefully have enough to last until the end of the month, bar the odd loaf of bread etc - so not quite ready to declare yet!
    Grocery Challenge 211/455 (01/01-31/03)
    2016 Sell: 125/250
    1,000 Emergency Fund Challenge #78 3.96 / 1,000
    Vet Fund: 410.93 / 1,000
    Debt free & determined to stay that way!
    • rising from the ashes
    • By rising from the ashes 23rd Dec 11, 12:01 PM
    • 12,321 Posts
    • 59,551 Thanks
    rising from the ashes
    Just wanted to say a HUGE thank you to everyone that "looks after us" on here ..... you are all wonderful.

I've only been here a couple of months but already it's def having an impact on my spend which is fantastic .... the support is great and the recipes are wonderful

So, from me - to you all ...... have a wonderful Christmas
    Grocery Challenge 211/455 (01/01-31/03)
    2016 Sell: 125/250
    1,000 Emergency Fund Challenge #78 3.96 / 1,000
    Vet Fund: 410.93 / 1,000
    Debt free & determined to stay that way!
    • tessie bear
    • By tessie bear 23rd Dec 11, 12:42 PM
    • 4,369 Posts
    • 30,042 Thanks
    tessie bear
    hi...popped to lidl to get some of their nice crisps that are on offer to go with dips...then tried to go to farmfoods for some milk but the carpark was rammed so didnt bother...will get some tomorrow

when do peeps do their veg prep for christmas day ? thought id do it on christmas eve should be ok

take care tess
    onwards and upwards
    • quintwins
    • By quintwins 23rd Dec 11, 12:45 PM
    • 5,058 Posts
    • 29,575 Thanks
    quintwins
    hi...popped to lidl to get some of their nice crisps that are on offer to go with dips...then tried to go to farmfoods for some milk but the carpark was rammed so didnt bother...will get some tomorrow

when do peeps do their veg prep for christmas day ? thought id do it on christmas eve should be ok

take care tess
    Originally posted by tessie bear
    it'll be even more rammed tomorrow lol, i havent made xmas dinner in years we always go visiting but when i did when i lived at home we used to prep everything on xmas eve including our spuds, and we would cook the meat and serve it cold on xmas day (i hated this my dad used to say the gravy warmed it and to stop moaning but it didn't) then we'd steep them in water, so on xmas morning all that needed done was everything boiled, the rosties rosted and the yorkshire pudding made
    OCT GC 196.12/200
  • WelshWoofer
    Well I've finally tallied up the final December spends and I'm over budget
    I have done a big stock up shop for the New Year though and have a full freezer and store cupboard so should be able to cut back in January.
    My total spend is just over 175 from a budget of 150
    Oh well, I do have the clan coming for three days and have bought plenty for them (not having something that he likes is likely to set Dad off into a grump!).

I braved Mr T this morning for the fresh stuff for Xmas and spent 33 (included in total) - it was horrible - like a bomb had gone off, stuff everywhere, people being rude and pushy and shopping like we were under siege - my local Mr T is open on Boxing Day!

No more spending until after the New Year now!
    January grocery spending - 82.73/ 120
    • freakyogre
    • By freakyogre 23rd Dec 11, 2:09 PM
    • 1,454 Posts
    • 9,410 Thanks
    freakyogre
    Popped out to Lidl earlier, not because I really needed anything (although the half price crisps were calling) but for an excuse to get out as felt like cabin fever was setting in.

It was quieter than I thought and I was in and out within about 10 minutes.

8.57 spent on a bag of carrots, a bag of parnsips (I feel a soup making day coming), a bag of frozen mixed veg, 10 x eggs, 5 x bags of crisps and a huge gammon joint as haven't had gammon for ages.
    Grocery challenge - Nov: 52/100
  • Long tall sally

Long Tall Sally, I have 3 accounts with my bank and had no problems opening the extra ones. I also have acoounts with a different bank as well. My grocery money goes in a specific account and that is what I have to spend, it focuses the mind some what.
    Thank Tigerfeet2006 - I shall check it out with my bank after xmas. Glad you weren't too badly hurt although still a nasty shock.
    Grocery aim 450pm.Spent 519 August, 584 July, 544 June, 541 May, 549 April, 517 March, 517 Feb,555 Jan, 573 Dec, 465Nov, 561Oct, 493Sept, 426Aug,496 Jul, 528Jun, 506May,498April, 558 March, 500Feb, 500 Jan, 490 Dec, 555 Nov,566 Oct, 505Sept, 450Aug, 410 July, 437 June, 491 May, 471 April, 440 March, 552Feb, 462Jan
  • rosieben
    tigerfeet, glad you're ok after your fall, take it easy for a while, its such a shock to the system..
    I've add your SC Chicken with chorizo and bacon into the index.
    ... don't throw the string away. You always need string!

C.R.A.P.R.O.L.L.Z Head Sharpener
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

1,116Posts Today

7,500Users online

Martin's Twitter