Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Poppy9
    • By Poppy9 3rd May 05, 9:32 PM
    • 17,986Posts
    • 22,277Thanks
    Poppy9
    How to store cheese
    • 3rd May 05, 9:32 PM
    How to store cheese 3rd May 05 at 9:32 PM
    How do you store your cheese to enjoy at its best. I am talking hard cheeses here like cheddar. I used to wrap in foil and keep in fridge but someone recomended using a tupperware tub so I have moved to this. I find though that moisture builds up in tub. Also I hate my cheese too cold so I have to remember to take it out of the fridge an hour before eating.

Is it safe to keep it out of the fridge permanently?
    ~Laugh and the world laughs with you, weep and you weep alone.~
Page 1
    • Magentasue
    • By Magentasue 3rd May 05, 10:08 PM
    • 4,201 Posts
    • 2,671 Thanks
    Magentasue
    • 3rd May 05, 10:08 PM
    • 3rd May 05, 10:08 PM
    OK, here goes ...My name is Magentasue and I am an alc ... a Lakeland customer.

I've already confessed once on here that I have a cheese box that retails for £13 at Lakeland. I know, I should be ashamed to even show my face here ... and I'm no better now. Now I'm after an overpriced tin box for my bread ...

Anyway, the cheese box cost me something like a fiver ten years ago. It was about £8 then and I found one on the Bargain shelf. It's a plastic box with a mesh bit on the top so you don't have to use greaseproof paper or foil, all hard cheese keeps perfectly in it. I've seen them on ebay and I'd thoroughly recommend them.
    • squeaky
    • By squeaky 3rd May 05, 10:19 PM
    • 13,808 Posts
    • 15,843 Thanks
    squeaky
    • 3rd May 05, 10:19 PM
    • 3rd May 05, 10:19 PM
    As for me...

..I saw this TV chef who was absolutely adamant that we should all take that delicious gorgeous crafted cheese and give it the respect it deserves and wrap it in FOIL.

Well yah boo sucks to him!

I'd washed my hands before handling food, and I took care because you know what us blokes can be like and I couldn't darn well squeeze the cheese out of the wrapper without giving it a helping hand unfortunately.

Within two days I had mould BELTING OUT of every place I'd touched it.

I'd have been far better off just leaving it alone.

Harumph!

Signed: Grumpy old git
    Hi, I'm a Board Guide on the Old Style and the Consumer Rights boards which means I'm a volunteer to help the boards run smoothly and can move and merge posts there. Board guides are not moderators and don't read every post. If you spot an inappropriate or illegal post then please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. It is not part of my role to deal with reportable posts. Any views are mine and are not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.

Never ascribe to malice that which is adequately explained by incompetence.
    DTFAC: Y.T.D = £5.20 Apr £0.50
  • Queenie
    • 3rd May 05, 10:39 PM
    • 3rd May 05, 10:39 PM
    Is it safe to keep it out of the fridge permanently?
    by Poppy9
    Ooooooh no, it needs to be kept chilled.

Did you know - when hard cheeses develop a mould on the outside, you can slice off the mouldy bits and the cheese is still ok to eat? (Don't flame me, I *know* this to be true because I used to work in a well known store in London and we used to do that all the time + .... me mum used to do it too )

I've never been successful keeping my hard cheese in a tub in the fridge; I just tuck the ends of the packet it came wrapped in over the exposed bits and it seems to keep pretty well.

What sort of "shelf life" are you hoping to get out of it?
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    PMS Pot: £57.53 Pigsback Pot: £23.00
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    • squeaky
    • By squeaky 3rd May 05, 10:44 PM
    • 13,808 Posts
    • 15,843 Thanks
    squeaky
    • 3rd May 05, 10:44 PM
    • 3rd May 05, 10:44 PM
    Gosh Queenie don't you ever sleep?

I know I don't - but I've got an excuse

Actually in many instances the er , mould thingies (mycelleum is it?) normally go quite deep and it's only the top little bits that we see.

But you're right - chop the 'orrible stuff off and eat the rest. That's what I do and, clearly, so do you.

Works for cheese no problem. Doesn't work for chicken!
    Hi, I'm a Board Guide on the Old Style and the Consumer Rights boards which means I'm a volunteer to help the boards run smoothly and can move and merge posts there. Board guides are not moderators and don't read every post. If you spot an inappropriate or illegal post then please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. It is not part of my role to deal with reportable posts. Any views are mine and are not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.

• gravitytolls
    • By gravitytolls 3rd May 05, 10:46 PM
    • 12,997 Posts
    • 23,207 Thanks
    gravitytolls
    • 3rd May 05, 10:46 PM
    • 3rd May 05, 10:46 PM
    Hi, Having tried several methods, I have to say that good old cling film keeps it the best. It's airtight and it keeps much longer.

Like Queenie, I too cut off any mould that may appear, but in cling film, see much much less of it.

Good about washing your hands, a when my teen lads have used the stuff, it's dirty fingerprints that I need to hsave off - little devils!
  • trafalgar
    • 3rd May 05, 10:48 PM
    • 3rd May 05, 10:48 PM

Did you know - when hard cheeses develop a mould on the outside, you can slice off the mouldy bits and the cheese is still ok to eat?
    by Queenie
    absolutely true,I keep mine in the original wrapping ........in the salad drawer of the fridge and take out half hour before I want to eat it so it's not so cold.
    • squeaky
    • By squeaky 3rd May 05, 10:58 PM
    • 13,808 Posts
    • 15,843 Thanks
    squeaky
    • 3rd May 05, 10:58 PM
    • 3rd May 05, 10:58 PM
    Hi traf

When all is said and done cheese is made by one or more bacteria or fungie type type things. So what's one more?

• Juicy_Tube
    • 3rd May 05, 11:00 PM
    • 3rd May 05, 11:00 PM
    Hi, Having tried several methods, I have to say that good old cling film keeps it the best. It's airtight and it keeps much longer.

Like Queenie, I too cut off any mould that may appear, but in cling film, see much much less of it.

Good about washing your hands, a when my teen lads have used the stuff, it's dirty fingerprints that I need to hsave off - little devils!
    by gravitytolls
    I was just going to say that I find cling film the worst thing to keep cheese in? makes it a bit sweaty and find it goes off more quickly? Shouldn't you use greaseproof paper type stuff if wrapping??:confused: But wot am I to know?

JT x

Hope someone has the answer
    It's great in here!
    • squeaky
    • By squeaky 3rd May 05, 11:14 PM
    • 13,808 Posts
    • 15,843 Thanks
    squeaky
    I refer the Honourable Questioner to my previous answer.

From varied to bitter experience I have learned that cheese that you wish to enjoy in some state closely relating to that in which you first purchased it should be left strictly alone in its original packaging.

Yes it sweats in plastic, over time... so if you don't like it sweating don't buy quite so much at a time (I regard cheese as a short term consumable - like half a pound a night is a naughty but delicious snack) and keep it as "original".

I have to admit that I like the way cheese was sold "in the old days" but can't find it locally any more. So the above is the best way I've found to manage the cheese I can reach.

Sorry I can't help you more. But you know... in this place... somebody will be along shortly who CAN...

• Smiley_Mum
    • By Smiley_Mum 3rd May 05, 11:21 PM
    • 3,779 Posts
    • 2,914 Thanks
    Smiley_Mum
    I usually keep mine in original wrap and put in a tupperware tub in the fridge. Not good to leave cheese out as it goes all sweaty and slimy, yuk!!!!!!!!
    “Ordinary riches can be stolen, real riches cannot. In your soul are infinitely precious things that cannot be taken from you.” - Oscar Wilde
  • IONIA
    I keep the plastic containers [with a handy lid, very good thanks !]from chinese take aways. They store cheese and cold meats perfectly.
  • Allexie
    This is what St Delia has to say.....

http://www.deliaonline.com/ingredients/food/a_0000000124.asp

I never put camembert or brie in the fridge...just leave it out til its about to crawl off the plate.....yum!
    ♥♥♥ Genius - 1% inspiration and 99% doing what your mother told you. ♥♥♥

• Murtle
    • By Murtle 4th May 05, 11:01 AM
    • 4,024 Posts
    • 2,576 Thanks
    Murtle
    Yes it sweats in plastic, over time... so if you don't like it sweating don't buy quite so much at a time (I regard cheese as a short term consumable - like half a pound a night is a naughty but delicious snack) and keep it as "original".
    by squeaky
    I think blue cheese is meant to sweat, helps is reach maturity!!!! Not sure that works so well with boys...not sure why :confused:

I have to admit that I like the way cheese was sold "in the old days" but can't find it locally any more. So the above is the best way I've found to manage the cheese I can reach.
    by squeaky
    sorry to be thick - how was cheese sold 'in the old days'?
    • Poppy9
    • By Poppy9 4th May 05, 2:27 PM
    • 17,986 Posts
    • 22,277 Thanks
    Poppy9
    I don't really have a time limit for keeping my cheese. I usually buy about 400g blocks. Sometimes its opened and gone within 2 days others times it seems to lanquish for over a week. Sometimes there is a white salty layer on the outside. Very rarely mould - this is usually because I haven't wrapped properly in foil or closed lid on container properly. If the mould isn't too bad I cut off and give it to hubbie in his sarnies. I open a nice fresh packet for me

Before fridges were invented wasn't cheese just stored in a pantry under a cheese bell? This is why I ask if it keeps at room temperature. Its a pain having to remember to remove from fridge before munching on especially late at night - nothing like some strong cheddar and a glass of wine of an evening.

I don't buy clingfilm. Haven't used for years since the poison scare yonks ago.

Thanks for all your replies. I like the sound of the Lakeland box I might seek one out.
    ~Laugh and the world laughs with you, weep and you weep alone.~
  • trafalgar

Before fridges were invented wasn't cheese just stored in a pantry under a cheese bell? This is why I ask if it keeps at room temperature. Its a pain having to remember to remove from fridge before munching on especially late at night - nothing like some strong cheddar and a glass of wine of an evening.
    by Poppy9
    yes but that was before cavity insulation and central heating and most food was kept in the larder...................the coldest room in the house ,sometimes in the basement ,with no windows even (so sunshine couldn't even get in and warm it up)

It was probably as cold as any fridge
  • Queenie
    You're absolutely right Traf + the larder was traditionally planned to be against a north facing wall. And marble or even slate was used for one of the shelves (the floor preferably stone). Oh nooooooooooooooo, I sound so OLD ...

... ...

... I'm off to Poppy's tonight to share her cheese and wine to keep me strength up
  • Galtizz
    I fold the original packaging back around mine, put it in a plastic bag and tie a knot in it (the bag, not the cheese) then it goes in the salad shelf thing in the draw of the fridge. It keeps for a good few weeks like this in my fridge before it starts to go mouldy.

When it goes mouldy it is re-named Stilton
    When life hands you a lemon, make sure you ask for tequilla and salt
  • trafalgar
    You're absolutely right Traf + the larder was traditionally planned to be against a north facing wall. And marble or even slate was used for one of the shelves (the floor preferably stone). Oh nooooooooooooooo, I sound so OLD ...

... ...

by Queenie
    It's not looking good for me then:rolleyes: ,yes we had one with a marble shelf and stone floor ....................and my nans was underground in the cellar,though some of the other rooms in the house were just as cold in winter.:rolleyes:

I'll just relax in my rocking chair for a while and think of cheese
  • Queenie
    LOL - yes, but that was your Nan's house .... I was referring to my Mother's house *squidge up a bit on the rocker will you, I'll join you for a wee while*

@ Galtizz - stilton!
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

134Posts Today

2,219Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • A brilliant and gripping profile of Boris Johnson by the great @JPonpolitics well worth the 15 minute read https://t.co/odelHYEbRg

• Boris Johnson is now going to be our prime minister. Worth a pause for thought, whatever your political persuasion.

• Boy they're dragging out this #conservativeleadership announcement.Three introducers now each grabbing air time. Get on with it please!

• Follow Martin