Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • fuddle
    • By fuddle 25th Nov 11, 4:36 PM
    • 6,671Posts
    • 102,055Thanks
    fuddle
    A new 'tougher' thread... and so it continues
    • 25th Nov 11, 4:36 PM
    A new 'tougher' thread... and so it continues 25th Nov 11 at 4:36 PM
    Having lurked on the 'tougher' threads this past year I have found myself drawn to MSE just to check in. The tougher threads are really the only reason why I come onto Old Style as much as I do.

Unfortunately we have lost the latest instalment and I for one have missed it dearly. Is it possible to miss a thread?

I have been in contact with MSE Andrea about starting a new thread and she has given the go-ahead. All she asks for is that the thread doesn't become argumentative. We're to report argumentative posts, as usual and put the people arguing on 'ignore'.

I see this thread as being a great support in these times. I see it as being a resource of how to cope with day to day living when the ends are struggling to meet. A continuing thread of useful ideas, tricks and pick-me-ups when times are tough. A place to discuss how UK/world affairs are going to effect us but more importantly, how we're going to cope or how these things will effect our lives.

I hope you don't mind a relative new comer/lurker starting this thread... just MSE Andrea gave me the permission to do so.

So... the Tougher thread continues...

P.S. (I need to work out a way of getting the old thread links on here too. If anyone could help that would be fantastic, i'll begin to try now)

If things get tougher?
    It is tough NOW. So how are we coping?
    It's STILL tough and not getting better - so how are we coping?
    Its tough, it will get better and guess what its freezing brrrrr!
    Last edited by fuddle; 25-11-2011 at 6:26 PM.
Page 67
    • gailey
    • By gailey 18th Dec 11, 7:08 AM
    • 2,303 Posts
    • 17,249 Thanks
    gailey
    Morning guys

Not quite sure what time I woke last night.

hubby fell asleep on sofa
    baby spent half the night in his cot
    toddler jumped in during the night.
    hubby left early.

The girls downstairs eating weetabix-was cheapest cereal in co-op.
    would love it if they would eat porridge.
    They in their thick dressing gowns on sofa with duvet watching kids tv.

Im currently under duvet feeding baby whos like mini hot water bottle watching evita one of the few musicals actually enjoyed.Brings back memories was 16when first came out I dyed my hair bright blonde and wore bright red lipstick!

Well yesterday afternoon took girls to local church christingle service.
    We normally do the craft clubs there but not been to their services
    Was very sweet everyone was so nice , baby got lots of cuddles.
    got very nervous when candles were lit that girls might set fire to place.
    toddler was very exited.

hubby was working late so 3kids by myself quite ambitous.
    when we sang hyms the kids had musical instruments and toddler was swaying back and forth shaking her marakas did make me chuckle.

Its called messy church happens once a month for young families and is not formal at all.
    Im not methodist but its my nearest church and kids enjoyed it.
    Eldest thourght it was more entertaining than roman catholic mass.
    Hubby wants to go mass but he wont go by himself and dont fancy taking the kids at midnight!

They even did refreshments of sausage roll,s, pizzas and biscuits with coffee and soft drinks.
    eldest made xmas decorations, lanterns and a christingle.

We then got out and was freezing. went to local spar for milk.

My local spar is too small, untidy, mostly rubbish staff and pricey but they do have small fresh section and often have reduced meat, bread and some veg. So I check a lot.
    They knock right down as dont have footfall to clear.

Well done -grandma247!great bargains

Ragz sounds like you did a sensible shop.well done on charity bargains our stuff is rubbish for toys/kids clothes.

I was hoping to go to mr m thursday as

its small compared to others
    cheap for basics
    hopefully not too busy.

I always peek at others trollies too amazing what people buy.
    Just glad im not working in supermarket at xmas did it for about 12years!

Hubby has to do his mums shop at 7am sainsburys tommorow morning.
    giving him tiny list as prefer sainsburys double concentrate squash.

we need to do lidls
    farmshop.

Think xmas eve will go down town late morning
    hope they do lunch reductions
    be home by tea time.

off to bath tommorow with mam and sis hoping its not too mental.
    hubby has all 3kids by himself!

Todays plan

watch some movies.
    give kids room supertidy
    clean bathroom
    make some stuff.

Told hubby making corned beef hash he said we must be poor.
    making sausage rolls.

dont have to go out thank goodness brought 8pints milk yesterday
    hubbys not home until 7pm

On subject of oats.

I know you can bulk out dishes with oats but havent tried it as reckon hubby would notice.

However greyqueen I do bulk out mince dishes with red lentils at times but maybe its where I buy from but dont find lentils that cheap. couldent find red lentils in mr m at all!

The healthfood shop might be bit better so might try there as car mot/tax in jan and eldests birthday feb going to be lean start to new year!

Hope everyones ok and keeping warm.

Remember keep calm and carry on its only christmas!
    pad by xmas2010 14,636.65/20,000:
    Pay off as much as I can 2011 15008.02/15,000

new grocery challenge 200/250 feb

KEEP CALM AND CARRY ON,Onwards and upward2013
    • wen3
    • By wen3 18th Dec 11, 7:31 AM
    • 155 Posts
    • 1,249 Thanks
    wen3
    Morning All

Hope everyone is okay? Haven't had time to read through the thread(sorry) have been at work (Wed Thur and Fri) and then busy catching up with house and Christmas stuff and this thread moves so quickly lol.

Plans for today more cleaning, cooking a roast chicken dinner and I am going to have a go at softstuff's spice biscuts. Went to Aldi shopping yesterday and only spent 16, was really pleased with that. Will pop back later and let you know how I get on with the biccies.
    DMP Support Thread Number 186
  • katieowl
    Argh. Took a phone call yesterday eve from my good friend in the village who was sobbing down the phone, and she told me her cousin was dead. I grabbed my keys and went straight round, and she explained that he was due to go home to his parents town yesterday, and hadn't arrived, his sister had made a few phone calls, including to her, and when she still couldn't raise him, she called the police, who went around and broke the door down, and they found him dead - no further details known. My friend was VERY VERY close to him, and we knew him well too as he was a frequent visitor to her house. She is in utter pieces...Her Uncle, the cousins dad is dying in hospital, The cousin was himself getting chemo, and of course earlier this year her husband left her. Happy Christmas.

She's the friend who was joining us for Christmas dinner anyway as she'd have been on her own otherwise.... I'm going to call her in a minute and check she's OK. I poured several glasses of wine down her last night and cooked her another dinner, as one of the cats had eaten the fish that she'd just taken out of the oven before she got the call. I feel terribly useless.

Kate
    • fuddle
    • By fuddle 18th Dec 11, 8:09 AM
    • 6,671 Posts
    • 102,055 Thanks
    fuddle
    So sorry to read about the really difficult time your friend is going through Katie. That is such sad news. I understand your feelings of uselessness but my gosh your friend is lucky to have you. x
    Be like a tree.
    Stay grounded. Connect with your roots. Turn over a new leaf.
    Bend before you break. Enjoy your natural beauty. Keep growing.
    • Softstuff
    • By Softstuff 18th Dec 11, 8:12 AM
    • 3,059 Posts
    • 35,457 Thanks
    Softstuff
    So sorry to hear about your friend Katieowl. She's very lucky to have you looking out for her.

Went to hubbys works Christmas lunch (after a 10am change of venue), it was a lovely get-together, the service at the restaurant was pretty bad though (it was as though they thought they were doing us a favour) and the food over priced. We shan't be returning needless to say.

I've been sending muffins in to hubbys office each monday, and one of the chaps said how lovely they were. His wife said "You bake every week?". With a chuckle I explained that it was more than once a week, if not hubby would die of starvation!

Anyhoo, as promised, I invented some new muffins which used up some of the bits I had bought in for other Christmas baking. Christmas Spiced Muffins. And having tried them out (with half a dozen earmarked for the office tomorrow), with approval from hubby too, here is the recipe:

Spiced Christmas Muffins
    Makes 12

2 large apples grated (or 4 small grated)
    1/2 teaspoon bicarbonate of soda
    a healthy handful of mixed fruit
    a handful of crumbed walnuts (any nuts would be fine, or none at all, I was just using the end of a pack up)
    1 cup sugar (any kind, I use raw but that's just the cheapest here)
    1 1/2 cups self raising flour
    2 eggs
    50ml veg oil
    1/2 teaspoon mixed spice
    1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
    1/2 teaspoon ground ginger
    1/2 teaspoon nutmeg

Put the apples, mixed fruit and spices in a bowl with the bicarb, add a splash of boiling water (enough to just cover the mix) and give it a stir. Wait about 5 minutes. Add everything else, stir very well. Pop into your muffin pan (or in my case a silicone friand pan), bake at 180 until a skewer inserted comes out clean (about 30 mins). They're dense, chewy, moist, golden brown and a little bit Christmassy.
  • rosieben
    Softstuff, I'll add that recipe to the grocery challenge index too
    ... don't throw the string away. You always need string!

C.R.A.P.R.O.L.L.Z Head Sharpener
    • mardatha
    • By mardatha 18th Dec 11, 9:12 AM
    • 15,431 Posts
    • 150,554 Thanks
    mardatha
    My god you lot can talk ! Not wee and quiet like moi
    Fuddle, I lost half my tea at your wild party lifestyle... "Crocheting DH a mug warmer for Christmas"
    Re sad news, xmas is a very bad time for some people, because you feel you have to be bright and zingy and happy..and when that's impossible then you feel guilty and everything gets worse. Maybe tonight and each night we could all light a wee candle for those who are sad at this time of year .
    Costco does cheap big bags of red lentils.
    We have such a lovely day here - it looks like St Moritz out the back. Sun on snow, turning it pink. I toold a pic but the bloody batts are dead and I'm charging them, will post it later. Can't get out a walk though as roads frozen snow and ice, hard walking.
    • Kimsmum
    • By Kimsmum 18th Dec 11, 9:16 AM
    • 205 Posts
    • 3,123 Thanks
    Kimsmum

Katieowl
    , Sorry to hear about your friend. How sad it makes even more so as its so close to Christmas.

Softstuff
    thank you for the recipe they sound yummy.
    Taking it one day at a time
    • Hobsons Choice
    • By Hobsons Choice 18th Dec 11, 9:23 AM
    • 1,065 Posts
    • 7,348 Thanks
    Hobsons Choice
    Katieowl, that's a terrible thing to have happened at any time of the year, but at Christmas............
    You're not useless at all, what else can you do apart from be there for your friend, and you are.
    Stay strong.
    Normal people worry me.
  • lizzyb1812
    Argh. Took a phone call yesterday eve from my good friend in the village who was sobbing down the phone, and she told me her cousin was dead. I grabbed my keys and went straight round, and she explained that he was due to go home to his parents town yesterday, and hadn't arrived, his sister had made a few phone calls, including to her, and when she still couldn't raise him, she called the police, who went around and broke the door down, and they found him dead - no further details known. My friend was VERY VERY close to him, and we knew him well too as he was a frequent visitor to her house. She is in utter pieces...Her Uncle, the cousins dad is dying in hospital, The cousin was himself getting chemo, and of course earlier this year her husband left her. Happy Christmas.

She's the friend who was joining us for Christmas dinner anyway as she'd have been on her own otherwise.... I'm going to call her in a minute and check she's OK. I poured several glasses of wine down her last night and cooked her another dinner, as one of the cats had eaten the fish that she'd just taken out of the oven before she got the call. I feel terribly useless.

Kate
    Originally posted by katieowl
    Well I'm sure none of us on here think you are useless - you have supported your friend admirably and it is understandable that you too are very upset. Look after yourself as well as your friend.
    "Life is not about waiting for the storm to pass...it's about learning how to dance in the rain." ~ Vivian Greene
    • icontinuetodream
    • By icontinuetodream 18th Dec 11, 9:59 AM
    • 985 Posts
    • 6,606 Thanks
    icontinuetodream
    Katieowl....just wanted to say I hope you are okay and that being there for your friend is the only thing that you can do at the moment....don't feel useless, its the greatest gift you can give her.
    Mortgage 12.12.12 55842 12.12.13 42716 14.12.14 28837 13.12.15 25913
    Mortgage OP 50/600 House Fund 420/5000
    • ginnyknit
    • By ginnyknit 18th Dec 11, 10:06 AM
    • 3,584 Posts
    • 42,373 Thanks
    ginnyknit
    Its good to know when you have lost someone that there is a friend who will hold your hand and listen to your rambling, I hope I am as lucky if ever I need someone.

Drippy weather here, not fun driving in it but it could be worse. All family tucked up and warm at their respective homes, thank goodness they are organised after much bullying by moi! My brother has actually managed to nip round to Mums with the papers and spuds - 5 minute drive - instead of us slogging a 45 mile round trip - it must be bloomin' Christmas

OH snug under a blanket dozing the afternoon away, best medicine when theres no medicine to help you Going to do a bit of crochet and watch a mind numbing film(till spring )

Oh Mardatha your nose will grow, wee and quiet, it does spoil the pc screen when you spray it with coffee you know - Hey Mardatha needs a government health warning for computer monitors
    Minimising 'Stuff''
    Keeping my purse shut still.

Motto for the year - Don't buy it!!!

COLOR=Red]
    [/COLOR]
  • PolkaDotsAndLace
    My red lentils are 1.10 for a 500g bag (Great Scot ones from Asda - they don't seem to do any others instore) which I find quite pricey - I think I'll have to have a look out for value oats when shopping today and report back on the disappearing oat situation.

How does everyone make their porridge? OH tends to have to Oat So Simple sachets before work just now, more expensive, so if there was a quick and easy way to make porridge with oats I'd like to get him to try it! I know it'll never be as quick as a sachet, but i can't see him spending more than 5/10 mins making porridge in the morning. Though it would still be good on the weekend.
    February Grocery Challenge - 100.87/180
    February Don't Throw Food Away Challenge - 0.60/1.50
    • greenbee
    • By greenbee 18th Dec 11, 10:40 AM
    • 13,274 Posts
    • 226,124 Thanks
    greenbee
    I use 25g oats in 200ml liquid (rice milk/milk/water) and put it on low on the hob when I get up and by the time I've emptied the DW and got everything else sorted it's ready. I'm sure it would be quicker if I could be bothered to watch it. It's also quicker if you soak the oats in the liquid the night before. And you can make it in the microwave. Maybe experiment over the holiday and see what works best?
    • kidcat
    • By kidcat 18th Dec 11, 10:45 AM
    • 6,042 Posts
    • 73,181 Thanks
    kidcat
    Katie - sending hugs - simply being there for your friend is amazing, but I do know how you feel as though you should be doing something, but the time will come when there will be other things she needs and you can be there too.

Porridge - could I put it in the SC the night before?? Am starting to think the idea of getting up to hot porridge in this weather would be so nice.

• greenbee
    • By greenbee 18th Dec 11, 10:47 AM
    • 13,274 Posts
    • 226,124 Thanks
    greenbee
    I think you'd need old fashioned porridge oats (tough ones not quick ones) kidcat, but I don't see why not. I have an ancient aga cookbook which mentions making porridge overnight in the bottom oven.
  • lizzyb1812
    Single serving of porridge in the microwave:

I use 30g porridge but I don't weigh it as this is a faff first thing in the morning. I found a small dish that holds just this amount. 1 dish porridge, 1 dish milk, 2 dishes water. Stir and cook on high for 2 minutes. Stir and cook for one more minute. You will need to use a big container as it will rise up quite a lot when cooking. Add sugar/sweetener/honey/sultanas/apple to taste.

Oooh! Just finished last of the cards and it's snowing
    "Life is not about waiting for the storm to pass...it's about learning how to dance in the rain." ~ Vivian Greene
    • zcrat41
    • By zcrat41 18th Dec 11, 11:20 AM
    • 1,543 Posts
    • 4,191 Thanks
    zcrat41
    Help! I'm in the middle of making the wonderful recipe that some kind lady posted a few days ago - peanut butter balls! Only half have made it into the fridge to be covered in chocolate - they are delish so far! I'm about to melt the chocolate and it says add shortening - is that butter?

I'm going to be the size of a house after discovering this site!
    • Fruball
    • By Fruball 18th Dec 11, 11:21 AM
    • 5,093 Posts
    • 36,653 Thanks
    Fruball

Kate
    Originally posted by katieowl
    That is so sad - your friend is lucky to have you so don't feel useless - take care of you both xxxxx

My red lentils are 1.10 for a 500g bag (Great Scot ones from Asda - they don't seem to do any others instore) which I find quite pricey - I think I'll have to have a look out for value oats when shopping today and report back on the disappearing oat situation.

How does everyone make their porridge? OH tends to have to Oat So Simple sachets before work just now, more expensive, so if there was a quick and easy way to make porridge with oats I'd like to get him to try it! I know it'll never be as quick as a sachet, but i can't see him spending more than 5/10 mins making porridge in the morning. Though it would still be good on the weekend.
    Originally posted by PolkaDotsAndLace
    I believe you can make porridge in a thermos flask - put it all in when you go to bed and will be all ready in the morning. My flask isn't great so would probably wrap in a towel and stick in airing cupboard
  • PolkaDotsAndLace
    Great, will have a look for them and experiment! Even if we do end up being too lazy to use them for porridge I can always use them up with mince or for baking, so they won't go to waste.
    February Grocery Challenge - 100.87/180
    February Don't Throw Food Away Challenge - 0.60/1.50
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

970Posts Today

6,806Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • Channel 4 really screwed up not doing this on the Tory leaders debate last night, just think of the ratings... https://t.co/eYYfAYGdck

• Teacher/head in a London(ish) senior school? I want film a 1hr ish talk to 16-18 yr olds on student finance (to put? https://t.co/dSsSp1UVDF

• RT @thismorning: As a ban on rip-off bank fees is announced, @MartinSLewis explains if you can reclaim, and how to cut your overdraft costs?

• Follow Martin