Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • zippychick
    • By zippychick 4th Jun 11, 11:19 AM
    • 9,343Posts
    • 17,889Thanks
    zippychick
    • 4th Jun 11, 11:19 AM
    4th Jun 11 at 11:19 AM
    Hi everyone,

Welcome to the twelth and final Grocery Challenge of 2011

Don't forget we have the Christmas 2011 OS preparation thread. The first post is an excellent resrouce for links and threads, so please do use it

If your new month starts early feel free to join this thread, or if you're still working on your November budget, then keep on posting in the November Grocery Challenge

As always this challenge is to reduce your own grocery budget to levels that you will be pleased with, not forgetting that we always recommend that you stay inside your own comfort levels and take things gently one step at a time. Remember that this is not a competition....it's designed to take you and your grocery spending to a level you are happy with.

If you are new to the challenge I have quoted the advice from Galtizz below which will help you get started.

Please post into this thread for help and advice and support at any time. Good luck to everyone taking part!

I have said this before, but for all the newbies to the challenge;

For the first month I took a guess at the budget but I really had no idea how much I was spending.

I found the best thing is to have a guess the first month but SAVE ALL OF YOUR RECEIPTS (and yes, that does include the ones from the local shop when you run out of milk ), then at the end of the month add them all up and have a look if you were on budget, if not, it doesn't matter because your budget was a guess. For the next month you can use the total of your receipts and take a bit off to get a realistic budget, just shave off as much as you think you can, it could be 1 a week or 20 a week.

If you are currently spending 200 a month don't suddenly drop it to 100 - you'll never do it but if you cut 20 a month off for a few months you'll get there eventually without feeling you're missing out on anything.

You might think you've done everything you can in the first month but someone always comes up with a new idea and, if you try it you often find you save a bit more (unless you are SarahSaver who is an expert at this and could only save more if she turned her back garden into a paddy field and lived on rice ) In the first month I thought, I'm planning meals, I couldn't possibly save any more, but then I started double cooking and freezing, and making soup instead of buying it in tins.

I've been doing this since Feb but only saved ALL of my receipts last month, it has given me a much better idea of where it is all going. Budget for next month is 80 for 2 of us, I'll start on 30/4. I could probably save more, by eating different foods but I can afford to live on 80, I have saved a lot of money since Feb. and I don't waste food or money any more. So I'm happy with my budget.
    For quidelines on posting in this thread please read the second post in this thread.

For the Grocery challenge Recipe Index please see posts #3, #4, #5 and #6 on this thread.

For everyones totals, see post #7 on this thread

I hope everyone has a great month!

Zip
    Last edited by zippychick; 17-11-2011 at 9:18 AM.
    A little nonsense now and then is relished by the wisest men
    Norn Iron club member #380

Page 33
    • tessie bear
    • By tessie bear 17th Dec 11, 5:13 PM
    • 4,364 Posts
    • 30,028 Thanks
    tessie bear
    hi small spend day today....in home bargains i got 2 of those cute lindt bears to give the kids for christmas....the fridge is quite empty but i think we might use it all up over the next few days and then do the christmas shop thurs or friday....i normally have a whizz around a couple of shops on christmas eve but more for bargains then the basics iykwim

take care tess
    onwards and upwards
    • meg72
    • By meg72 17th Dec 11, 5:41 PM
    • 5,082 Posts
    • 46,072 Thanks
    meg72
    Hi everyone, hope all are well as I'm afraid I've lost track of the thread and haven't managed to keep up.

Doing OK - spends of 32.09 @ Mr T last Saturday and 9.01 today bringing me to 63.23 / 150

However, very small spends today down to no chilled stuff at all - my fridge/freezer packed in last Sunday. I have ordered a new one but it doesn't arrive until Friday so am having to keep stuff in the garage & therefore running stocks down & not replacing atm.... not ideal.

Also means that I'll probably have to hit the sm to restock on fresh stuff on Christmas Eve (oh, joy ... am I looking forward to that!) so will have a fairly big spend then.
    Originally posted by rising from the ashes
    Oh so sorry about the fridgefreezer, Sods law that it happens just before Christmas. Do hope you manage to get loads of reduced on ChristmasEve.
    Slimming World at target
    • meg72
    • By meg72 17th Dec 11, 5:47 PM
    • 5,082 Posts
    • 46,072 Thanks
    meg72
    Another NSD for me today, although I have ordered the Christmas shop to come on Monday from Mr S. Will just have to pick up veggies and cream on Saturday but should hopefully keep us going until new year's eve. Going to be well over budget but at least it will give me an idea of what budget to set for January.
    Originally posted by mummyjane
    Dont view this as over budget,I amsure there will be meals you can make,and that is called investment.Good luck.
    Slimming World at target
    • Living proof
    • By Living proof 17th Dec 11, 6:03 PM
    • 1,617 Posts
    • 10,571 Thanks
    Living proof
    I think I did quite well today and still within budget, but I have vouchers if I go over. I managed to get a rolled and boned large turkey breast reduced from 20 to 14 and I have cut this in half and frozen, one for Christmas Day and the other for the right occasion later next year. I also managed some reduced mince and sausages in Lidls, well within date and reduced braising beef and small topside joint in Asda. This means that I will be making goulash, chilli con carne and also braised red cabbage in the next day or so. I bought a small Christmas cake but we have decided to give the pudding a miss this year as it is pure gluttony anyway. Has anyone seen the M & S add for the nut encrusted gooey topping on their pudding - gilding the lily, or what?

As usual the freezers are well topped up, even though I promise myself each year to half-empty to pick up some really reduced items after the festivities. The only problem this year is I only have Christmas Eve and New Year's Eve available between now and 7th Jan. Neither date looks like being good for a leisurely shop, so maybe I have done the right think after all by stocking up. I am always busy in January and February anyway so it's a relief to have lots of home-cooked goodies around.

I hope you are all managing well with your own budgets. People I saw out shopping today were definitely more aware of prices and so on, and several people I saw in Lidl seemed to follow me to Aldi and then on to Asda. What appalled me was the cost of fruit and veg in Asda - it's between 40-80% dearer than the discounters I would say. I go in for the wine deals and some of the tinned prices are good when on offer, but you have to have your wits about you at all times. I am going to try some of softstuff's cookies, as the mince pies OH bought today are rather less than appetising.
    Solar Suntellite 250 x16 4kW Afore 3600TL dual 2KW E 2KW W no shade, DN15 March 14
    Mortgage and Debt Free. Unfortunately Pension Free too!
    • rising from the ashes
    • By rising from the ashes 17th Dec 11, 6:21 PM
    • 12,321 Posts
    • 59,551 Thanks
    rising from the ashes
    Oh so sorry about the fridgefreezer, Sods law that it happens just before Christmas. Do hope you manage to get loads of reduced on ChristmasEve.
    Originally posted by meg72
    Thanks Meg - I was absolutely fuming at the time as the beeping thing could've waited until the sales started!

I did think about hanging off but after a visit to a store to look at some, I found one I liked (or rather lots I liked - but many were too expensive) which was the right size.

It was 349.99 in store but phoned DF who checked online & found it for 269.99 (just shows!!!!!) so gave in - even when the sales start, I think I'd be hard pushed to find one of the others for less than that (will try to refrain from looking as I'll be hopping if they are!).

Must check the closing time of the SM on Saturday ......
    Grocery Challenge 211/455 (01/01-31/03)
    2016 Sell: 125/250
    1,000 Emergency Fund Challenge #78 3.96 / 1,000
    Vet Fund: 410.93 / 1,000
    Debt free & determined to stay that way!
  • bikelesschick
    I've not caught up with the thread, just popped in to say

I've not been keeping up with the spending on a daily basis so I'm a bit annoyed at myself. Still, I have kept receipts though - I'm hoping I've kept them all - so I'll pop in again with an updated amount.
    Baby girl born 3rd October 2012
    • meg72
    • By meg72 17th Dec 11, 7:37 PM
    • 5,082 Posts
    • 46,072 Thanks
    meg72

What appalled me was the cost of fruit and veg in Asda - it's between 40-80% dearer than the discounters I would say.
    Originally posted by Living proof
    Dont buy it and then it will be reduced,
    Slimming World at target
    • wannabee_in_credit
    • By wannabee_in_credit 17th Dec 11, 8:13 PM
    • 1,735 Posts
    • 7,832 Thanks
    wannabee_in_credit
    Hi everyone
    I know I've never posted on this thread before - I intend to join in with the grocery challenge for next month. I need to get below 50 a week - have been regularly spending 80+.
    But I'm so excited I had to share somewhere. Did my weekly grocery shop with a list, which I stuck to and spent 36.47. I'm absolutely thrilled because I don't think I need to do much else this week, and it gives me real motivation to get on and do more to money save.
    Sorry to just barge in on the thread but I'm so excited.
    Ninja Saving Turtle
  • LucyLou1981
    WOW! I added up my November spend (26th Oct to 26th Nov) and it was 350 or thereabouts. I've done my 'christmas shop' and shouldn't need anything else until after christmas except for maybe bread and milk and i'm at 250! so pleased!!
    • tigerfeet2006
    • By tigerfeet2006 17th Dec 11, 10:39 PM
    • 13,826 Posts
    • 29,891 Thanks
    tigerfeet2006
    Tonight's offering was GF Slow Cooker Chicken Casserole some very clean plates from my lot. This served 5 of us.

I defrosted a pack of frozen chicken thighs (2.59 1 Kg) then dredged them in seasoned GF flour. Popped a slug of oil in a pan and fried them off in batches and bunged them in the SC. Bunged a couple of chopped, medium, onions, a very large, chopped leek and some sliced carrots to the pan and fried them off and chucked them in the SC. Popped a tblsp of parsley and a tblsp of thyme into the SC along with 1/2 pint or so of chicken stock. Put it on low for the day.

I served this with some toasted ciabatta and goats cheese ( slice in half, toast backs, then inside, then butter and crumble goats cheese on and pop back under the grill for a minute or two.) these were in the freezer as I grab ed them on a whoopsie a while back.

This would probably work with other root vegetables or squashes. It also could be served with mash, cheesy mash, jackets or new potatoes.

Onions were from a big 4kg net and carrots were value ones so didn't cost much. I reckon the leeks were the most expensive part of the meal at 1.57 for 750gm.
    BSCno.87
    The only stupid question is an unasked one
    Loving life as a Kernow Hippy
  • rosieben
    like the sound of that one, tigerfeet, its in the index
    ... don't throw the string away. You always need string!

C.R.A.P.R.O.L.L.Z Head Sharpener
    • kippers
    • By kippers 18th Dec 11, 6:54 AM
    • 1,971 Posts
    • 6,039 Thanks
    kippers
    I've got approx 30 left (just had a quick add up) but i've just been on mysupermarket and i've got another 24 to come off this when i next go shopping = 2x semi skimmed 4 pints milk, toilet rolls, 15 eggs, 4 x lactofree milk, 4 x lactofree cheese (for my dd2 who is lactose intolerant).

Yesterday i went to Leicester market to buy a lettuce and a cucumber as much to my annoyance i'd forgot to pick some of my winter lettuce leaves from my allotment. I've got to say i avoid the market usually as i've had bad food that doesn't last long from there before....however i got a decent iceburg lettuce for 40p and a very good cucumber for 50p...what a bargin...and the man that sold it to me didn't have a fowl mouth and a fag in his mouth and was a very nice chap with his young son helping who said please and thankyou...i may try and find this stall again on a saturday if i need the odd thing, as they have restored my faith in the market.

Anyway, things going ok here food wise. Me and my dh had a chat yesterday about our food budget. At the moment i get all food & groceries from my 300 p/m budget but i also get all my allotment things and pull unexpected birthday presents, meals out and anything else i can possibly get out of the budget eg this month i've paid out 50 for a food processor from ebay. Therefore we have decided to set up separate budgets for everything from this payday so we can see what we do actually spend on food & toiletries. Not sure yet what budget i will now have for GC starting from 24th Dec...we still need to work out the budgets.

Veg wise, we are really pleased. I have 3 allotments and we kept a spreadsheet this year to see whether it did actually pay to have all 3 allotments. Everytime i harvested any veg i weighed it and then i checked on the Tesco website to see how much it would have cost me if id bought the value equivalent on that day and recorded it on my spreadsheet (even though i grow organically i don't buy organic veg as we can't afford it).....drum roll.....upto today it's 1441.08...but that doesn't include the khol rabi's, gherkins or patty pans which we had loads of but i couldn't find them on the shopping websites...our outgoings do need tobe taken off this figure for manure, compost, seeds etc but these expenses are minimal, i think we can safely say the allotment pays.

Anyway....HAPPY CHRISTMAS TO ALL THE LOVELY PEOPLE THAT POST ON HERE:snow_la ug
    • tigerfeet2006
    • By tigerfeet2006 18th Dec 11, 7:14 AM
    • 13,826 Posts
    • 29,891 Thanks
    tigerfeet2006
    like the sound of that one, tigerfeet, its in the index
    Originally posted by rosieben
    Thanks Rosie. My DH who is not a great chicken fan absolutely loved it. I think thighs give it that extra bit of flavour as well.
    BSCno.87
    The only stupid question is an unasked one
    Loving life as a Kernow Hippy
    • dannie
    • By dannie 18th Dec 11, 7:23 AM
    • 1,915 Posts
    • 4,453 Thanks
    dannie
    Hi folks,

Just more milk purchased. No seasonal food shopping required so still aiming to stay within set budget.
    • mooomin
    • By mooomin 18th Dec 11, 8:13 AM
    • 13,655 Posts
    • 134,514 Thanks
    mooomin
    I'm sitting at 31.08/200 for my latest challenge (Lasts me until I get paid again on 20th January )
    Comping again

Wins this year: - two night trip to Belgium, 100 Gett taxi credit, tickets to Newcastle game, FIFA 2016 for PS4, stitch markers, Cumberstitching book
    • pepsi-kins
    • By pepsi-kins 18th Dec 11, 8:15 AM
    • 94 Posts
    • 1,984 Thanks
    pepsi-kins
    Hi All,
    Gone slightly over budget for the year, but not too bad. I've been thinking of all the useful things i've learnt on here in the past 12 months, and how it has made a real difference, so by putting this into practice for the next 12 months, I should do well on the GC front (as long as food prices don't go crazy!). I've discovered Lidl fruit and veg during the latter part of the year - really impressed with quality and price of this. Just because something has a whoopsie label on it doesn't mean I need it. I'm now buying dried pulses etc rather than tins, which work out cheaper and as theres only two of use I can portion control better. I now do lots more veggie options, which has saved us lots and given us a wider variety of food, which is always good.

Enough of my ramblings, have a good week everyone.
    2018 G/C 2951.61/2250
    Vouchers used 553.23
    Extra money 250
    2019 G/C 2566.09
    Vouchers: 218.33
    • Spiggle
    • By Spiggle 18th Dec 11, 8:58 AM
    • 1,751 Posts
    • 14,202 Thanks
    Spiggle
    Hi everyone
    I know I've never posted on this thread before - I intend to join in with the grocery challenge for next month. I need to get below 50 a week - have been regularly spending 80+.
    But I'm so excited I had to share somewhere. Did my weekly grocery shop with a list, which I stuck to and spent 36.47. I'm absolutely thrilled because I don't think I need to do much else this week, and it gives me real motivation to get on and do more to money save.
    Sorry to just barge in on the thread but I'm so excited.
    Originally posted by wannabee_in_credit
    Congratulations wannabee_in_credit!

We'll look forward to you joining us in January and please do post on here at any time you want, you are most welcome.

We have to go to a sm today and I'm really not looking forward to it!!!!! I'll post later the damage.

See you all then,
    Spigs
    Mortgage Free October 2013
  • rosieben
    I've just added Spiced Christmas Muffins to the front page index, another good one from Softstuff on the tough thread

well done wannabe!
    ... don't throw the string away. You always need string!

C.R.A.P.R.O.L.L.Z Head Sharpener
  • LittleMissHappy
    Hi everyone

I haven't posted much recently as I have lost count of what I have spent However apart from yesterday (which I do remember) every time I have shopped for food I have used my bank card so I will look online today and tot up the damage. I don't think it is too bad *crosses fingers*
    Be the change you want to see in the world - Gandhi
    OU - DD100 (P ), DSE141 (D ), DSE212 (P ), ED209 (02/12), DXR222 (07/12) SD226 (02/13)
    • quintwins
    • By quintwins 18th Dec 11, 11:14 AM
    • 5,058 Posts
    • 29,575 Thanks
    quintwins
    morning all, i'm also over budget for the year but i blame dtd because there was one month at the start of the year i was at 330 rather than 200 because i kept going to tesco i'm not bothered as i'm gonna try use everything up in jan/feb

nsd today off to mil for lunch, all i need this week is a sack of spuds and some milk might get some more bread as i clear room in the freezer so i don't have to go shopping in the week before new years when shops are mental.
    i've decided i won't be stocking up in boots this year, i'm going to be regifting a few bits, i have enough mens smelly sets for next year due to stacking superdrug codes, i'll go and look when it's 75% off but i'm gonna plow all my money into my savings as theres been some fab deals this last week or 2 that will likely be around next year, so i can acually avoid the shops but i refuse to pay filling station price bread, our local farm shop does 90p milk so thats not too bad, if i'm really stuck i can make my own bread
    OCT GC 196.12/200
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

224Posts Today

3,230Users online

Martin's Twitter