Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • MSE Guy
    • By MSE Guy 15th Dec 11, 5:18 PM
    • 1,628Posts
    • 1,255Thanks
    MSE Guy
    MSE News: Financial education debate: Government to consider compulsory money lessons
    • 15th Dec 11, 5:18 PM
    MSE News: Financial education debate: Government to consider compulsory money lessons 15th Dec 11 at 5:18 PM
    This is the discussion thread for the following MSE News Story:

"Customers who were talked into switching to a pricey tariff could receive part of a 5m compensation pot in the new year
    ..."

Page 1
    • The One Who
    • By The One Who 15th Dec 11, 5:25 PM
    • 2,368 Posts
    • 2,924 Thanks
    The One Who
    • 15th Dec 11, 5:25 PM
    • 15th Dec 11, 5:25 PM
    Genuine question to those at MSE: How many more threads are you going to make on this topic? Why not just update the other ones so as to try to keep all the discussion (which is all on the same topic) in one place?
    • Consumerist
    • By Consumerist 15th Dec 11, 7:48 PM
    • 5,204 Posts
    • 2,604 Thanks
    Consumerist
    • 15th Dec 11, 7:48 PM
    • 15th Dec 11, 7:48 PM
    From the article:-
    Earlier this week, the All Party Parliamentary Group (APPG) on Financial Education for Young People, which has the support of 226 MPs and Peers, issued a report calling for compulsory money lessons . . .
    How do we find out who these 226 MPs and Peers are? I've emailed my MP twice on this subject and haven't had the courtesy of even an acknowledgement. I'd just like to know whether my free-loader participated in any way at all.
    Warning: In the kingdom of the blind, the one-eyed man is king.
    • oldvicar
    • By oldvicar 15th Dec 11, 8:18 PM
    • 1,068 Posts
    • 944 Thanks
    oldvicar
    • 15th Dec 11, 8:18 PM
    • 15th Dec 11, 8:18 PM
    226 MPs and Peers, with one of them being Balls. With 650+ MPs alone this does not look well supported. Shall we assume that parliament is just not interested in this and the 'magic' 100,000 petition which caused the debate is a bit of an irritation to our representatives?
    • Eco Miser
    • By Eco Miser 19th Dec 11, 1:40 AM
    • 3,444 Posts
    • 3,239 Thanks
    Eco Miser
    • 19th Dec 11, 1:40 AM
    • 19th Dec 11, 1:40 AM
    226 MPs and Peers, with one of them being Balls. With 650+ MPs alone this does not look well supported. Shall we assume that parliament is just not interested in this and the 'magic' 100,000 petition which caused the debate is a bit of an irritation to our representatives?
    Originally posted by oldvicar
    The 226 are the exisiting supporters of the All Party Parliamentary Group on Financial Education for Young People. Many more MPs may have been persuaded to support the cause by the petition and debate.
    Eco Miser
    Saving money for well over half a century
  • frothy-coffee
    • 21st Dec 11, 2:31 PM
    • 21st Dec 11, 2:31 PM
    I don't know why MSE doesn't petition parents. Afterall it is THEIR responsibility to ensure their 'little darlings' receive a decent education. But it's easier for the parents to blame the school when their kids leave school not knowing their three R's.
  • Jodepetas
    • 31st Dec 11, 6:37 AM
    • 31st Dec 11, 6:37 AM
    wha? they really have no idea
    • Consumerist
    • By Consumerist 31st Dec 11, 1:59 PM
    • 5,204 Posts
    • 2,604 Thanks
    Consumerist
    • 31st Dec 11, 1:59 PM
    • 31st Dec 11, 1:59 PM
    I don't know why MSE doesn't petition parents. Afterall it is THEIR responsibility to ensure their 'little darlings' receive a decent education. But it's easier for the parents to blame the school when their kids leave school not knowing their three R's.
    Originally posted by frothy-coffee
    To a great extent, the parents aren't too financially savvy themselves so there seems little hope of parents financially educating their children, even if they wanted to.

It is more likely that the kids will be financially educating their parents in the future, I think..
    Warning: In the kingdom of the blind, the one-eyed man is king.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

335Posts Today

1,956Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • Mini MSE is on half term next week, so I'm excited to be taking the week off to be daddy. As normal I'm signing of? https://t.co/G3366shWh1

• I once blurted out on @gmb "Theresa May hasn't been given a poisoned chalice - she's been given a poisoned chalice? https://t.co/onfRbY3XVg

• It'd be fascinating to know how history will judge Theresa May's premiership. Currently, it is hard to see it as a? https://t.co/eH77G0O9LA

• Follow Martin