Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • MSE Martin
    • By MSE Martin 17th Apr 07, 2:15 PM
    • 8,115Posts
    • 42,285Thanks
    MSE Martin
    0 WOW
    10 off 30 spend at selected retailers with Google Checkout
    • 17th Apr 07, 2:15 PM
    0 WOW
    10 off 30 spend at selected retailers with Google Checkout 17th Apr 07 at 2:15 PM
    What's the deal?

To promote the launch of its new web payment service, Checkout, Google is offering anybody that signs up and uses it £10 off any £30 (minimum) spent at 30 selected web retailers, or anywhere which offers the service as a means of payment.

Google Checkout purports to make paying for things online quicker, by centrally storing your payment details so you needn't enter them every time you buy something. Where the service is available, you'll only need to click the Google Checkout button and enter your login details to pay.

How/where can I get the discount?

To get the money off, you'll first need to sign up for the service at Google.
    The £10 off is valid at a couple of big electronics retailers- ebuyer and empiredirect, as well as a host of smaller ones. See the full list of retailers.

Furthermore, you can use this offer as many times as you like up until midnight 10th June, so the potential savings are excellent.

Anything else I should know?

Google Checkout uses the same login details as other services, but since it stores your card details, ensure that you have an adequately safe password if you intend to use it.

Last edited by Former MSE Lawrence; 18-04-2007 at 9:45 AM.
    Martin Lewis, Money Saving Expert.
    Please note, answers don't constitute financial advice, it is based on generalised journalistic research. Always ensure any decision is made with regards to your own individual circumstance.

Don't miss out on urgent MoneySaving, get my weekly e-mail at www.moneysavingexpert.com/tips.

Debt-Free Wannabee Official Nerd Club: (Honorary) Members number 000
Page 1
    • ksh123
    • By ksh123 17th Apr 07, 9:46 PM
    • 1,229 Posts
    • 750 Thanks
    ksh123
    • 17th Apr 07, 9:46 PM
    • 17th Apr 07, 9:46 PM
    Sounds good. Are Google going to try and beat Paypal at their own game I wonder?
    Stop looking for answers....
    The most you can hope for are clues.....
  • goodclicks
    • 17th Apr 07, 11:03 PM
    • 17th Apr 07, 11:03 PM
    It seems that you can use this offer as many times as you'd like - even at the same retailer. Fantastic!

I've just ordered a 4GB mp3 player I've had my eye on at ebuyer. It was £33. Now £24 with the postage!
    • satan666wayne
    • By satan666wayne 17th Apr 07, 11:51 PM
    • 921 Posts
    • 497 Thanks
    satan666wayne
    • 17th Apr 07, 11:51 PM
    • 17th Apr 07, 11:51 PM
    There is about 7 other threads for this, if the head man can not use the search what hope do we have?
    • zcaprd7
    • By zcaprd7 18th Apr 07, 3:57 AM
    • 1,062 Posts
    • 106 Thanks
    zcaprd7
    • 18th Apr 07, 3:57 AM
    ebuyer
    • 18th Apr 07, 3:57 AM
    I think ebuyer offers great value anyway, but with the extra 10 off there are some real bargains...remember to switch the shipping to the cheap option.
    • redfox
    • By redfox 18th Apr 07, 7:54 AM
    • 14,026 Posts
    • 37,774 Thanks
    redfox
    • 18th Apr 07, 7:54 AM
    • 18th Apr 07, 7:54 AM
    There is about 7 other threads for this, if the head man can not use the search what hope do we have?
    Originally posted by satan666wayne
    there is a reason Martin starts new threads on an offer, even though there are often existing threads, and that is because a particular offer is going into the Tips email and a new 'clean' and uncluttered thread is required for simplicity and clarity for new readers of the email.

So it's not a question of not using the search
    I'm a Board Guide on the Quick Grabbit, Food Shopping & Groceries, Shop but don't drop, Loans and Cutting Tax boards which means I volunteer to help get your forum questions answered and keep the forum running smoothly. Pease remember, board guides don't read every post. If you spot an illegal or inappropriate post then please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com (it's not part of my role to deal with this) Any views are mine and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.

• smallblueplanet
    • By smallblueplanet 18th Apr 07, 3:00 PM
    • 953 Posts
    • 571 Thanks
    smallblueplanet
    • 18th Apr 07, 3:00 PM
    • 18th Apr 07, 3:00 PM
    by satan666wayne
    Well frankly if Martin tells me its a good deal, then I'm more likely to listen.
    • deanos
    • By deanos 19th Apr 07, 12:21 AM
    • 10,894 Posts
    • 5,588 Thanks
    deanos
    • 19th Apr 07, 12:21 AM
    • 19th Apr 07, 12:21 AM
    Worth noting that the 10 is off EVERY order over 30, so it might be worth splitting larger orders up.
    • stphnstevey
    • By stphnstevey 19th Apr 07, 9:37 AM
    • 2,969 Posts
    • 484 Thanks
    stphnstevey
    • 19th Apr 07, 9:37 AM
    • 19th Apr 07, 9:37 AM
    33% of any 30 order - Only Google could afford that
  • chawil
    Well, I've just checked out several of the retailers and, unfortunately, most of the items I'm interested in are cheaper elsewhere, even after claiming the discount. E.g. Starwars Trilogy at S O DVD is just over £20 with the discount, Play.com has it for £16.99 including delivery. Similar story with other items as well so BE CAREFUL.
  • MarcGJ
    Now THAT'S a saving!
    Unbelievable.

I order bits and pieces from eBuyer from time to time, making a shopping list until I've got a reasonable order to justify the shipping expense. Today I did just that and put together an order which came to just under 260 all in. I rarely bother shopping around for these sorts of items as eBuyer are nearly always cheaper by a country mile.

With a bit of calculation and assembling seven orders in all, I've shaved over 40 off the already cheap price!! I've check the small print over and over and the only bit that scares me a little is the grey-print at the bottom of the following page: http://checkout.google.com/buyer/merchants.html which states "Buyers should not open multiple accounts nor split orders to receive multiple discounts. Google will apply a reasonable use policy and reserves the right to withdraw this promotion from individuals and merchants found to be violating these terms."

The money has been taken from my account so as far as I'm concerned, the orders have been accepted.

WOO!
    • Lady_K
    • By Lady_K 26th Apr 07, 11:17 AM
    • 4,405 Posts
    • 855 Thanks
    Lady_K
    Can you use this with quidco aswell?

Edit:
    Oh I just saw how much quidco give for ebuyer purchasing 0.1% hardly worth bothering anyway but still if any store does google checkout can you still use quidco aswell?
    Last edited by Lady_K; 26-04-2007 at 11:20 AM.
    Thanx

Lady_K
    • stphnstevey
    • By stphnstevey 29th Apr 07, 3:33 PM
    • 2,969 Posts
    • 484 Thanks
    stphnstevey
    Just used with memorybits - worked great!
    • buglawton
    • By buglawton 29th Apr 07, 3:51 PM
    • 8,209 Posts
    • 4,977 Thanks
    buglawton
    Hmmp! I wish independent online shops like ours could be on Google's list! Anyway I will now go & investigate if this new Google service is available to UK online retailers/wholesalers & if it offers any serious advantage over Paypal.

Lately there's bee a lot of bad publicity about online stores being hacked for any credit card details they stored, which is why we only use Paypal up to now.
  • MAKESSENSETOME
    Talk Talk Wireless Modem From Ebuyer
    Even Better Value ... Price Reduced To 24.98 Inc Vat As Deal Of The Day !!!!!
  • BoltonMinx
    Hmmp! I wish independent online shops like ours could be on Google's list! Anyway I will now go & investigate if this new Google service is available to UK online retailers/wholesalers & if it offers any serious advantage over Paypal.

Lately there's bee a lot of bad publicity about online stores being hacked for any credit card details they stored, which is why we only use Paypal up to now.
    Originally posted by buglawton
    Don't see any reason why you shouldnt be - the list of shops using Google checkout, apart from ebuyer seem like smaller shops in any case. I'd definitely investigate further in your case
    "There are only two lasting bequests we can hope to give our children; one of these is roots, the other wings" - Hodding Carter

~~~ S
    pread some good Karma ~~~
    • fatboy88
    • By fatboy88 17th May 07, 2:29 PM
    • 470 Posts
    • 41 Thanks
    fatboy88
    anyone know how to do returns under this system as i gather you cant contact ebuyer as they didnt receive payment direct.
    Do they have a contact number?

thanks
    • buglawton
    • By buglawton 18th May 07, 11:33 AM
    • 8,209 Posts
    • 4,977 Thanks
    buglawton
    We are now applying for Google checkout merchant account but don't expect to get into Google privileged list of participating stores forth the £10 incentive!
  • steveandel
    Does anyone know when this offer is likely to end?
  • monterey
    I've used the Google Checkout at the following places in the last 10 days and all orders have gone through fine:

www.ebuyer.co.uk (a video sender )

www.svp.co.uk (Blank CDs, blank DVDs, Ink and photo paper- stocking up!)

www.saverstore.com (Some cheap LED torches to sell on Ebay )

I've read somewhere on the net that the offer is due to end on 10th of June, but none of the websites I've visited offering the deals seem to have an end date on the offer.

M-
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

1,958Posts Today

7,041Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • Have a great Easter, or a chag sameach to those like me attending Passover seder tomorrow. I?m taking all of next? https://t.co/qrAFTIpqWl

• RT @rowlyc1980: A whopping 18 days off work for only 9 days leave! I?ll have a bit of that please......thanks @MartinSLewis for your crafty?

• RT @dinokyp: That feeling when you realise that you have 18 days of work and only used 9 days of your annual leave! Thanks @MartinSLewis h?

• Follow Martin