Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • fuddle
    • By fuddle 25th Nov 11, 4:36 PM
    • 6,736Posts
    • 102,881Thanks
    fuddle
    A new 'tougher' thread... and so it continues
    • 25th Nov 11, 4:36 PM
    A new 'tougher' thread... and so it continues 25th Nov 11 at 4:36 PM
    Having lurked on the 'tougher' threads this past year I have found myself drawn to MSE just to check in. The tougher threads are really the only reason why I come onto Old Style as much as I do.

Unfortunately we have lost the latest instalment and I for one have missed it dearly. Is it possible to miss a thread?

I have been in contact with MSE Andrea about starting a new thread and she has given the go-ahead. All she asks for is that the thread doesn't become argumentative. We're to report argumentative posts, as usual and put the people arguing on 'ignore'.

I see this thread as being a great support in these times. I see it as being a resource of how to cope with day to day living when the ends are struggling to meet. A continuing thread of useful ideas, tricks and pick-me-ups when times are tough. A place to discuss how UK/world affairs are going to effect us but more importantly, how we're going to cope or how these things will effect our lives.

I hope you don't mind a relative new comer/lurker starting this thread... just MSE Andrea gave me the permission to do so.

So... the Tougher thread continues...

P.S. (I need to work out a way of getting the old thread links on here too. If anyone could help that would be fantastic, i'll begin to try now)

If things get tougher?
    It is tough NOW. So how are we coping?
    It's STILL tough and not getting better - so how are we coping?
    Its tough, it will get better and guess what its freezing brrrrr!
    Last edited by fuddle; 25-11-2011 at 6:26 PM.
Page 23
    • imogen-p
    • By imogen-p 2nd Dec 11, 7:30 PM
    • 100 Posts
    • 375 Thanks
    imogen-p
    Need your help here old stylers ! Woke up with this bottle in my head (Nooo not that kind of bottle!) and want the name if anybody knows it.
    It was bath stuff, a glass bottle not plastic, oil or bubbles. it was very thick concentrated dark forest green and smelled of pine. it was quite expensive (to me anyway) and was heavenly. This is going back a bit, to the days when I had money. So we're talking pre-history here. I think it was a French name but not sure. Does anybody know what I'm talking about ??
    Originally posted by mardatha
    It's not a glass bottle, but Weleda is green and piney.
    Unofficial Debt Free Wannabee.
    April 2010. Loan 1 4650 Loan 2 1140 credit card 332 overdraft 1475

Oct 2011. Loan 1 3400 Loan 2 0 Credit Card 199 Overdraft 800

Oct 2011. Loan 1 0 Loan 2 0 Credit Card 0 Overdraft 0
    • wmf
    • By wmf 2nd Dec 11, 7:52 PM
    • 1,821 Posts
    • 21,855 Thanks
    wmf
    Badedas Mar? Think so. Used to get it from my sister years and years ago. Fab and pine-y. Haven't had a bath with it for years and years.
    We used to get Boots pine essence in a glass bottle when were kids. Fab too.
    w
    edit hhhmm...read all posts before just reading last page W!
    Last edited by wmf; 02-12-2011 at 7:55 PM.
    • ragz
    • By ragz 2nd Dec 11, 8:38 PM
    • 3,153 Posts
    • 27,335 Thanks
    ragz
    Oh dear... I had started to run down the tin stash as they were taking over the house, but now I feel I need to restock. However I think it through this time rather than buy a load of random things that don't go together. May even have to resort to a tinned pie! We used to have them when DS1 was a baby but after I learned to make my own I never bought one again, I even look at them rather snobbily when I see them... beginning to change my mind...
    I actually did get down to the last toilet roll this week. Used to stockpile when they were on offer then discovered that Tesco Springforce one (was 1.99 for 9 then went up to 2.09, but still under my 25p per roll max) which is pretty good so only buy that now.

That green stuff... I bought a bottle of stuff in Lidl months ago as it was dark green and smelly (in a nice way) and it reminded me vaguely of something. I thought I might give it to my dad. It was in a plastic bottle but could possibly have been a similar thing. Said it smelled of juniper though...
    Ragz is busy studying
    Progress is easier to acheive than perfection.
    • Gigervamp
    • By Gigervamp 2nd Dec 11, 8:46 PM
    • 6,419 Posts
    • 20,586 Thanks
    Gigervamp
    Badedas is still expensive. Hubby wanted a bottle and it was about a fiver!
  • lizzyb1812
    Dreams of Badedas and stacked tinned pies - who says the Toughies don't know how to live it up

And I have a confession to make - when they were served up for school dinners I used to love spam fritters
    "Life is not about waiting for the storm to pass...it's about learning how to dance in the rain." ~ Vivian Greene
  • rosieben
    I spam, must try the fritters! <runs off to hide>>
    Last edited by rosieben; 02-12-2011 at 11:02 PM.
    ... don't throw the string away. You always need string!

C.R.A.P.R.O.L.L.Z Head Sharpener
  • Hardup Hester
    Hi Mad Arthur, the only thing I can think of that is green & in a round glass bottle is Creme de Menth, now it's not for me to cast aspidistras at what people bath in, but........
    Hester

Never let success go to your head, never let failure go to your heart.
    • prepareathome
    • By prepareathome 3rd Dec 11, 4:38 AM
    • 1,822 Posts
    • 24,925 Thanks
    prepareathome
    Hi Mad Arthur, the only thing I can think of that is green & in a round glass bottle is Creme de Menth, now it's not for me to cast aspidistras at what people bath in, but........
    Hester
    Originally posted by Hardup Hester
    Be tastier than bathing in asses milk ( I think it was) that Cleopatra is said to have done.
    C.R.A.P R.O.L.L.Z # 1 prepareathome - baker, premium prepper (hence member #1), topic keeper
    Sealed Pot Member1433:2011 119.12/2012-? Save 12k in 2012 No 126
    Stopped Smoking Wed 25th Jan 2012
    • prepareathome
    • By prepareathome 3rd Dec 11, 5:00 AM
    • 1,822 Posts
    • 24,925 Thanks
    prepareathome
    Yesterday had a chat with the benefits advisor that is helping me with my claim for ESA - am on Incapacity Benefit and so have to apply for it now. I asked him if I was not to get it as going by what you hear it seems unlikely and so he worked out any benefits we could claim with hubby working as he is. It basically came down to nothing for Housing Benefit or Council Tax Benefit as our council is cutting back and only giving it to people who earn the same as you would receive on Income Support or JSA and although hubby is on Part-Time up till now been able to get enough over time to bring him up to 30hrs so we can get WTC - grand total of 5.04 a week, but if he keeps his job ( they want 8 people to take redundancy and if not enough take it up they will chose and he is last in even though its 6 years) they have said no more over time so we will not be able to claim WTC anymore. So upshot is if we end up with just his wage coming in after paying the full rent and council tax we will have a 1000 a year less than if he was unemployed and claiming for both of us on JSA and Income Support. So we will have a choice he continues to work and we struggle on less than a family who is full benefits with the extra expenses of his petrol to work, lunches, suitable clothing etc or he gives up his job - which he enjoys and doesn't want to be unemployed.

So basically with the governments drive to cut the disabled benefits bill and I do not get ESA then to live we will end up costing the government more money if hubby gives up his job and claims plus council would have to give us full HB and CTB and with that we will be down 4k but not have to worry at least about rent or council tax.

Now I cannot believe we are only people who will find themselves in this situation so I wonder how long, if ever it will take them to realise that there is an even greater increase in the unemployed that matches the decrease in the number of people refused ESA, but money in benefits paid out will not match there will be an increase.

So any spare money I have is going into stocking up so we have something to help if this happens, at least at first till we become used to so much less a week. I could put money away in savings account but the way things are I feel that I will get more for my money buying things I can now rather than using the money later, as will get less food for my money.
    C.R.A.P R.O.L.L.Z # 1 prepareathome - baker, premium prepper (hence member #1), topic keeper
    Sealed Pot Member1433:2011 119.12/2012-? Save 12k in 2012 No 126
    Stopped Smoking Wed 25th Jan 2012
    • Softstuff
    • By Softstuff 3rd Dec 11, 6:14 AM
    • 3,059 Posts
    • 35,457 Thanks
    Softstuff
    GQ, I posted a not-so-cream of cauliflower soup on one of these threads... ah, searchy....

here!
    http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showpost.php?p=47078307&postcount=2814

We like it.

Edit: and it's freezable (I just put two tubs of it in the freezer today oddly enough)
  • Hardup Hester
    Cheesy cauliflower
    Ingredients
    25g/1oz butter or marg
    25g/1oz flour, any sort
    600ml/1 pint milk
    salt and white pepper
    80g/3oz cheese, grated, any cheese that is going green is fine, lol.

Preparation method
    1.Melt the butter in a saucepan.
    2.Stir in the flour and cook for 1-2 minutes.
    3.Take the pan off the heat and gradually stir in the milk to get a smooth sauce. Return to the heat and, stirring all the time, bring to the boil.
    4.Simmer gently for 8-10 minutes and season with salt and white pepper.
    5.Stir in cheese and allow to melt. Don t re-boil the sauce or it will become stringy. Pour this over cooked cauliflower.
    If you want to be posh scatter a mixture of grated cheese & breadcrumbs on top & brown under the grill.
    Last edited by Hardup Hester; 03-12-2011 at 7:07 AM. Reason: Reduce font size

Never let success go to your head, never let failure go to your heart.
    • greenbee
    • By greenbee 3rd Dec 11, 7:18 AM
    • 13,401 Posts
    • 227,214 Thanks
    greenbee
    GQ - flageolet beans are good with cauliflower for soup if you have any.

As for what the future holds... This is what popped into my inbox this morning!
    • ragz
    • By ragz 3rd Dec 11, 7:28 AM
    • 3,153 Posts
    • 27,335 Thanks
    ragz
    The changes to tax credits from April 2012. The bit about change in income sounds harsh, if we dropped nearly 2500 income we'd feel it! But they aren't going to up the tax credits unless income drops by over that, and then that amount will be disregarded anyway. Nice sneaky way of giving us less money. I will have to make sure I am as accurate as possible when I work ours out, hubby is self employed so it gets complicated, but we rely on our tax credits (low income, three young children), they are about as much as hubby earns! I have no idea how people in our situation managed without them... although perhaps rent was not so extortionate then!

Our rent is more than anyone we know's mortgage, but housing benefit pays 2/3 of it as I am not working. If I went out to work we could afford the rent, but not childcare costs too, so this is the way it will have to be until the kids are a lot older. I'm not bothered about buying. My parents bought their council flat 10 years ago but until then they rented and my SIL and her husband rent their house so it's not really looked down on in our family. Not that I'd be bothered if it was... I like knowing that if anything goes wrong with our house it won't be my paying the bill. Only downside is the insecurity (we've moved a lot) but I moved a lot as a child and I am used to it, it's not the house that makes the home... In countries like Germany renting is a lot more common apparently, the British just seem to have a thing about owning houses...
    Ragz is busy studying
    • hornetgirl
    • By hornetgirl 3rd Dec 11, 7:38 AM
    • 5,699 Posts
    • 73,976 Thanks
    hornetgirl
    GQ I like to eat cauliflower raw, either as a snack or in a salad. But then perhaps I'm a bit odd too
    Unity is strength...Knowledge is power...Attitude is everything

MF 30 June 2010

Everything is fleeting, everything will change
    • greenbee
    • By greenbee 3rd Dec 11, 7:42 AM
    • 13,401 Posts
    • 227,214 Thanks
    greenbee
    I agree, raw cauli is yummy, but can be hard to digest
  • Memory Girl
    Cauliflower and potato balti
    Cauliflower bhaji ( uses the leaves as well)
    Cauliflower cheese - topped with breadcrumbs
    Cauliflower rissoles (cauli cheese and mash in breadcrumbs)
    Cauliflower and red kidney bean salad
    Cauliflower and green bean stir fry with ginger
    Cauliflower and three bean chilli in pancakes
    Roasted cauliflower soup with cumin
    Cauliflower,potato and cheese quiche
    Cauliflower and lentil biryani
    Cauliflower macaroni cheese
    Cauliflower, tomato and spinach curry

Can you tell I got a huge cauliflower some time back and played "rubber cauliflower" for a while?

MG
    FINALLY AND OFFICIALLY DEBT FREE

Small Emergency Fund 500 / 500
    Pay off all Debts 10,000 / 10,000
    Grown Up Emergency Fund 6000 / 6000
    Pension Provision 6688/2376
    • fuddle
    • By fuddle 3rd Dec 11, 7:50 AM
    • 6,736 Posts
    • 102,881 Thanks
    fuddle
    This is why I feel stuck as a stay at home mum. I don't mind the job and so pleased to be around my little ones while growing up but we need for me to work too. But with childcare coasts and the costs of having a second car etc it would not be beneficial so we have o make do on DH's wage.

I have tried bodyshop at home, avon etc but bodyshop for me was a lot of hard work, stupid amount of petrol and always having to buy the new seasons stock for people to try at parties. Avon? I got so tired of rudeness I just quit. It's not in mme to bother people in their homes.

Plod on as it goes. The Tax credits changes won't effect us as income is low with two kids so I'm relieved but to be honest I feel a lot of people who are nearing the breadline are going to suffer because of it. 26K limit isn't that high BUT I have to say my mum managed in the 80's with no help so - where there's a need there's a way _ i hope, I just don't know if people have the skills.

Anyone have nightmares their tin opener breaks when there's a crisis?! lol Now I have thought of that I shall be investing in a second one.

I went to Aldi afterall last night. I'm tinned up and bizarrely I feel a sense of calm. I guess it is addictive because now I'm thinking I need more but my two cupboards are chocka. Apart from under the bed where else do you keep your tins?
    • ragz
    • By ragz 3rd Dec 11, 7:57 AM
    • 3,153 Posts
    • 27,335 Thanks
    ragz
    Fuddle - I did Body Shop too, what a nightmare! Constantly nagged to do more even though I had no car and when I started they said it wouldn't matter. I barely broke even after buying all the stock, then new stock etc. Have nearly finished using it all up, 4 years later!
    Tax credits changes shouldn't effect us as we don't earn enough, but it is worrying. I really feel for my friends who are struggling with mortgages as they don't get the housing benefit so they have to work and pay childcare costs and end up with less money than we have, no time with their kids and no time to cook/do housework... I really don't know how they manage...

We have an amazing tin opener that DH bought before we got together, it cost him 15 and it is so worth it. My parents get through a few 1 ones a year!

(Anyone not seen the 5 free for store21 offer on the grabbit board? Free delivery so you get a cheap present...)
    Last edited by ragz; 03-12-2011 at 8:03 AM.
    Ragz is busy studying
    • VJsmum
    • By VJsmum 3rd Dec 11, 8:04 AM
    • 5,594 Posts
    • 81,751 Thanks
    VJsmum
    Fuddle, the tinned pie is a truimph of food engineering and I commend you to sample one without delay.
    Does anyone else find themselves plotting the use of the oven? I have a gas stove but when I put the oven on (not frequently) I try to get maximum value from the energy. Mum taught me this when she taught me to bake, back in the Jurassic Era.
    Originally posted by GreyQueen

I was just thinking yesterday amongst all the tinned pie talk what a genius idea it was - a triumph of engineering indeed. In fact I had a moments panic thinking that i hadn't ANY FB pies but haven't yet pootled off to the shop to get any. So, GQ, weren't me your honour.

Also, i have started to plan the use of the oven - e.g. yesterday i wanted jacket spuds so mushed up some left over breads (sorry, St Delia the crusts go in as well), white and granary mixed and made bread pudding.

Ingredients
    25g/1oz butter or marg
    25g/1oz flour, any sort
    600ml/1 pint milk
    salt and white pepper
    80g/3oz cheese, grated, any cheese that is going green is fine, lol.

Preparation method
    1.Melt the butter in a saucepan.
    2.Stir in the flour and cook for 1-2 minutes.
    3.Take the pan off the heat and gradually stir in the milk to get a smooth sauce. Return to the heat and, stirring all the time, bring to the boil.
    4.Simmer gently for 8-10 minutes and season with salt and white pepper.
    5.Stir in cheese and allow to melt. Don t re-boil the sauce or it will become stringy. Pour this over cooked cauliflower.
    If you want to be posh scatter a mixture of grated cheese & breadcrumbs on top & brown under the grill.
    Originally posted by Hardup Hester
    I have found that adding a teaspoon of mustard to the cheese sauce (either powder or made up) makes it taste cheesier

I am off to the farm shop this morning for my veggies. This is a new venture for me as for several years i have been having deliveries of an organic veg box. HOwever the price has been going up and the quality down, and the final straw was that the round has been taken off local people and gone national. So i have stopped the deliveries and decided that, if i drive a certain way to the supermarket, i can go to the farm shop on the way. It may not be organic but the food miles will be miniscule - I can top up at the supermarket if necessary. At least that way i will only buy things that we will eat rather than trying not to waste some of the more obscure veggies we got. I could cope with romanescu - treat like cauli (or put fairy lights on and treat like a christmas tree ) and am quite grateful for the introduction of kohl rabi (great coleslaw) and celeriac (great mash) but can't get my head round fennel, turnips and other more dubious veg.

Off to a party tonight, via OH's choir concert (will be a trial - his music is not my music) and have the SIL and 2 kiddies come to treat the place like a hotel visit us so must wash bedding once I have found the spare bed in order to strip it!
    • mardatha
    • By mardatha 3rd Dec 11, 8:18 AM
    • 15,470 Posts
    • 150,953 Thanks
    mardatha
    Loving this thread !! From getting "tinned up" to counting fray bentos pies to looking desperately for new places to stash tins
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

1,494Posts Today

7,954Users online

Martin's Twitter