Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • zippychick
    • By zippychick 4th Jun 11, 11:19 AM
    • 9,343Posts
    • 17,889Thanks
    zippychick
    • 4th Jun 11, 11:19 AM
    4th Jun 11 at 11:19 AM
    Hi everyone,

Welcome to the eleventh Grocery Challenge of 2011,

If your new month starts early feel free to join this thread, or if you're still working on your September budget, then keep on posting in theOctober 2011 Grocery Challenge

As always this challenge is to reduce your own grocery budget to levels that you will be pleased with, not forgetting that we always recommend that you stay inside your own comfort levels and take things gently one step at a time. Remember that this is not a competition....it's designed to take you and your grocery spending to a level you are happy with.

If you are new to the challenge I have quoted the advice from Galtizz below which will help you get started.

Please post into this thread for help and advice and support at any time. Good luck to everyone taking part!

I have said this before, but for all the newbies to the challenge;

For the first month I took a guess at the budget but I really had no idea how much I was spending.

I found the best thing is to have a guess the first month but SAVE ALL OF YOUR RECEIPTS (and yes, that does include the ones from the local shop when you run out of milk ), then at the end of the month add them all up and have a look if you were on budget, if not, it doesn't matter because your budget was a guess. For the next month you can use the total of your receipts and take a bit off to get a realistic budget, just shave off as much as you think you can, it could be £1 a week or £20 a week.

If you are currently spending £200 a month don't suddenly drop it to £100 - you'll never do it but if you cut £20 a month off for a few months you'll get there eventually without feeling you're missing out on anything.

You might think you've done everything you can in the first month but someone always comes up with a new idea and, if you try it you often find you save a bit more (unless you are SarahSaver who is an expert at this and could only save more if she turned her back garden into a paddy field and lived on rice ) In the first month I thought, I'm planning meals, I couldn't possibly save any more, but then I started double cooking and freezing, and making soup instead of buying it in tins.

I've been doing this since Feb but only saved ALL of my receipts last month, it has given me a much better idea of where it is all going. Budget for next month is £80 for 2 of us, I'll start on 30/4. I could probably save more, by eating different foods but I can afford to live on £80, I have saved a lot of money since Feb. and I don't waste food or money any more. So I'm happy with my budget.
    For quidelines on posting in this thread please read the second post in this thread.

For the Grocery challenge Recipe Index please see posts #3, #4, #5 and #6 on this thread.

For everyones totals, see post #7 on this thread

I hope everyone has a great month!

Zip
    Last edited by squeaky; 26-10-2011 at 5:52 PM.
    A little nonsense now and then is relished by the wisest men
    Norn Iron club member #380

Page 54
    • dreamingofmoney
    • By dreamingofmoney 30th Nov 11, 6:28 AM
    • 420 Posts
    • 4,760 Thanks
    dreamingofmoney
    Good Morning All

Well my month finished today and i am declaring at £249.00
    This is soo under budget and so that extra £51 will be put towards xmas mucky beer. WOOHOO.

Good luck to all.

Note. Now off to dec, wish me luck
    Paying back 1% at a time 85% of total debt paid off.
    No. 82 PAYDBX19 £7704.90/£13000 of debt paid from this years goal 59.3%
    Hfax loan, Bcard £938/£5852.06 16% Lloyd’s £451.52/£592.99 76.1%
    Debt free date Mar 2020.
    • tigerfeet2006
    • By tigerfeet2006 30th Nov 11, 7:50 AM
    • 13,826 Posts
    • 29,891 Thanks
    tigerfeet2006
    Tiger, could you copy and paste the note above into your original recipe post when you have a chance please. Someone reading the recipe in years to come probably won't see your later post

I've added the recipe to the index
    Originally posted by rosieben
    Done
    BSCno.87
    The only stupid question is an unasked one
    Loving life as a Kernow Hippy
    • quintwins
    • By quintwins 30th Nov 11, 9:46 AM
    • 5,058 Posts
    • 29,569 Thanks
    quintwins
    declaring £204.45 for nov could have been worse, could also have been better but i stocked up on alot of jams/spreads/rasins ect during the month aswell as a few takeaways so i'm happy enough
    OCT GC £196.12/£200
  • LetThereBeCupcakes
    I’m done for the November, so just popping in to report a total of £100.32 for the month – nearly £50 under budget! Off to make a start on December’s challenge now. Hopefully I can keep my Christmas spending fairly low.
    Zopa Loa: £872.08 Van Loan: £946.68 HSBC Credit Card: £7000.00 HSBC Loan: £3695.00 Barclaycard: £1721.38 Natwest CC: £392.50 Natwest OD: £2580.07
    Total Debts as at 01/01/15: £17,207.71
  • tracey12
    I am declaring £314.14 from a budget of £340.00

Next month will be more of a challenge as christmas budget is hard to judge.

See you all on the December thread.

Tracey
    Officially debt free
    • boultdj
    • By boultdj 30th Nov 11, 2:41 PM
    • 4,505 Posts
    • 33,130 Thanks
    boultdj
    Tesco delivery to day, came to £62.54 giving me a grand total for November £141.36 to declare , it's under, some good has come from having my leg in pot for 7 week's, just need to keep up the good work in December
    • PaddyPaws
    • By PaddyPaws 30th Nov 11, 3:52 PM
    • 264 Posts
    • 3,019 Thanks
    PaddyPaws
    Well, I was 77p over budget for Nov and then I spent £17.49 in A!di and £2.06 in Sainsbugs last Thursday. Then we went to Mr T on Sunday to double up some vouchers to get some clothes as extra pressies for the DGC (did well, got £80 of clothes for £40 of vouchers so am quite happy with that) and needed a couple of bits (cat food and a new baby card) - had DH with me and we spent £34.44

I've looked at the receipt and £18.44 of it will be out of Dec budget, but even so that gives me a total overspend for Nov of £36.32. So declaring Nov as £286.32 spent out of £250 budget (and now I sound like a politician )

I definitely need to get better at this as our budget is looking "tight" for 2012.

Onwards and upwards
    PP

• rosieben
    Done
    Originally posted by tigerfeet2006
    you're a star, thanks
    ... don't throw the string away. You always need string!

C.R.A.P.R.O.L.L.Z Head Sharpener
    • angelatgraceland
    • By angelatgraceland 30th Nov 11, 7:02 PM
    • 3,318 Posts
    • 23,074 Thanks
    angelatgraceland
    Well I am now declaring Novembers spend at £236.38/£400 a massive underspend so I can splash out in December if I need to!
    Had a rejigged shopping week this week and last week due to DS(22) getting a job at long last! Lots of packed lunches and a few bought for next to nothing in the way of reduced sarnies in Waitrose(65p per pack)so I let him have 2 packs at that price.
    I will be recalculating my grocery budget for next year and reducing it again as a food only budget for four people instead of 5 due to my eldest DD moving out in a couple of months.I am also redoing all of my budgets due to me being in a new job(rather than no job)having left the last one,and a rejig with our finances but it is all in the green now(or near enough, as opposed to what I thought was going to be a 2k deficit! That's a relief. However, that meant tying up some savings for a year so I still have to manage things well but that extra little bit of money will make the difference.
    Annual Grocery budget 2018 is £1500 pa £125 calendar month £28.84 pw for 3 adults
    • freakyogre
    • By freakyogre 30th Nov 11, 7:13 PM
    • 1,454 Posts
    • 9,410 Thanks
    freakyogre
    £1.73 in Sainsbury's last night for milk, 2 x custard powder and hot chocolate. I tried Sainsbury's basic hot chocolate powder and it's really nice.

£1.69 today on body spray and toothpaste. Not needed at the moment, but I had to get some change so thought I may as well get it in advance.
    Grocery challenge - Nov: £52/£100
    • tigerfeet2006
    • By tigerfeet2006 30th Nov 11, 7:46 PM
    • 13,826 Posts
    • 29,891 Thanks
    tigerfeet2006
    Right then, DH has given me reciepts totalling £40 and I have spent £35 today on 2x birthday presents, cards and wrapping paper.

So that is me declaring a total of £374 this month. I am well chuffed. Don't really know how I did it it but I did Probably because I have been eating out of the store cupboard/freezer.

And I had 21 NSD

Lets see what happens in December.
    Last edited by tigerfeet2006; 30-11-2011 at 9:37 PM.
    BSCno.87
    • tigerfeet2006
    • By tigerfeet2006 30th Nov 11, 8:09 PM
    • 13,826 Posts
    • 29,891 Thanks
    tigerfeet2006
    For dinner tonight we had Slow Cooker Chilli Con Carne.

700g mince (beef or turkey), 1 large onion chopped, 2-3 cloves garlic-crushed (or to taste) 1 tsp chilli powder (or to taste), 1/4 tsp chilli flakes (or to taste), 1 tsp paprika (or to taste), 2 tins chopped tomatos, 2 tins kidney beans, 1 tblesp tomato puree, 200ml beef stock (chicken if using turkey)

Brown off the meat and pop in SC. Fry off onion and garlic then add the chilli, chilli flakes and paprika and fry for 2-3 min. Pop it all into SC. Add water to pan and heat up (this is for the stock and will incorperate anything that is left in the pan). Put the rest of the ingredients in the SC. Add stock cube/powder (I use bisto best as we have 2 who are GF.) Top up with water from the pan.

Stick on low for the day and serve in the evening with a dollop or two of sour cream and rice or crusty bread or tortilla chips.

This can be bulked out with grated carrot and/or lentils. Though if adding lentils add extra stock.
    Last edited by tigerfeet2006; 30-11-2011 at 8:16 PM.
    BSCno.87
    • Florenceem
    • By Florenceem 30th Nov 11, 8:21 PM
    • 3,996 Posts
    • 52,590 Thanks
    Florenceem
    O.k i need a smack on the hand.

Spent £4.57 it was mostly whoopsies, i went to 4 supermarkets doing my usual promo work and ms jobs, in tescos the big store, i got 4 lindt bells for a quid, always wonder why i don't get more! so yummy.

Asda spent £1.07 got 3 fruit salad bars, 20p for a pack of 5 pancakes with strawberry sauce inside whoopsied and x 2 packs of 50/50 pockets, like pitta pockets.

I then thought i could resist the next sm, but was browsing the reduced area, but didnt see anything i fancied, as i was about to leave the man reducing the stuff said, look bananas a pack for 30p, i said no thank you, i don't like bananas, so he said look in the trolley i am reducing them all, so ended up with a pack of red rooster potatoes for 62p, a pack of 4 jazz apples t finest 44p and a pack of tfinest vine tomates 44p, * sigh i cant keep away, bread and pancakes in the freezer.

Also went to lidl specifically to look for their cellophane at 99p a roll,, which i need for a gift, so maybe that doesnt count, wrapping the gift and making choccie slabs with my 5 year old god daughter when she comes to stay in 2 weeks.

DECLARING £66.41

Phew new month tomorrow.
    Originally posted by ms_night_ryder
    I got the cellophane roll in Lidl - it said on the newsletter - twin pack for 99p - one pattern roll and one plain. My store was charging 99p a roll!
    • Flat Eric
    • By Flat Eric 30th Nov 11, 8:25 PM
    • 3,991 Posts
    • 24,048 Thanks
    Flat Eric
    Have done my usual trick this evening of switching on the computer to do one thing and over two hours later, I'm still faffing so I'm switching off now ! but not before I post to say a small spend on reduced items in Mr S yesterday cost me £4 odd, a shop in the local co$tcutter cost me £15 this evening and I bought lunch and a fruit pot on monday which came to just short of a fiver. Then there were the bits I bought in Mr T also (Monday) milk, breakfast brioche rolls, fry light and a tin of sweets for a party we are going to tomorrow eve.

So November's spends have increased probably by about £25 (at least).

December has to be managed carefully. Have been paid today and already my balance is less than £20 .... and not everything that needs to be paid has gone out yet. If I am good with the housekeeping, I can use some of that money to help see me through the month. For some reason I thought there was another pay day before xmas !!! (but of course there isn't!!)

• Aril
    • By Aril 30th Nov 11, 8:27 PM
    • 1,882 Posts
    • 16,753 Thanks
    Aril
    I came in under target £220.10 which included £15 on the meat for Christmas day!
    Aril
    Aiming for a life of elegant frugality wearing a new-to-me silk shirt rather than one of hair!
    • Sue14
    • By Sue14 30th Nov 11, 8:42 PM
    • 899 Posts
    • 10,894 Thanks
    Sue14
    I've not kept a check on my spending since the beginning of the month, so I was expecting to have gone way over budget, however I've just added up all my receipts and found that I'm £35.01 UNDER budget having only spent £94.99, and that was including some food that I had to get in for my DS when he came over to cat/house-sit for us last week. Of course being away for a few days and having our meals included in the cost of the break helped, but I still can't believe how well we've done!
    Weight loss challenge 3/10lbs
    Total weight loss 21lbs

• rej-c
    Congratulations on all the new jobs at your place, angelatgraceland - here's hoping some of that can come into effect around these parts in the new year, too.

I'm declaring at £84.82 for November, so, surprisingly, under our £100 budget - but with not as many NSDs as I was aiming for, so very slightly mixed feelings about the victory. Not that I'm complaining, you understand - a few years ago my monthly spend for the two of us was closer to £500

Now to work out how much we're going to allow ourself for seasonal daftness [on top of the big Mr S order that arrived today *cough*], and get to the December thread to set it in stone...

Well done everyone, and, as ever, thanks to those keeping the threads going
    Haven't done the GC since February, but a glance at the Tower of Receipts tells me I really need to get back into it... and plenty of other Challenges besides.
    • TheThriftyScrumpers
    • By TheThriftyScrumpers 30th Nov 11, 8:58 PM
    • 272 Posts
    • 5,359 Thanks
    TheThriftyScrumpers
    Evening

The Thrifty Scrumpers declaring at £372.55 please.

Thank you very much to all who run the thread. See you on the Dec thread
    GC Mar 11 £437.08Apr 11 £459.26 May 11 £485.52 June 11 £423.79July 11 £409.22 Aug 11 £250.10Sept 11 £396.14Oct 11 £382.37Nov 11 £372.55Dec 11 £332.29 Jan 12 £375.19:Feb 12 £349.58Mar 12 £279.66Apr 12 £249.12May 12 £337.66/Jun 12 £362.58/Jul 12 £317.03/Aug 12 £354.02/Sept £439.72/Oct 12 £210.16
  • Twiceblessed
    Declaring at £199.57 for November
    January grocery challenge £159.43/£250.00
    February grocery challenge £209.53/£200.00
    March grocery challenge £165.66/£190
    April grocery challenge £186.27/£170.00
    May grocery challenge £22.51/£180.00
    • sproggi
    • By sproggi 30th Nov 11, 10:55 PM
    • 1,517 Posts
    • 6,376 Thanks
    sproggi
    Managed to round the month off with a NSD
    So declaring £275.71 for November, that is nearly £25 under my budget, despite only managing 16 NSD's

Sproggi
    'We can get over being poor, but it takes longer to get over being ignorant'
    Jane Sequichie Hifler
    Beware of little expenses.A small leak will sink a great ship
    Benjamin Franklin
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

648Posts Today

6,151Users online

Martin's Twitter