Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Former MSE Helen
    • By Former MSE Helen 30th Nov 11, 4:28 PM
    • 2,324Posts
    • 971Thanks
    Former MSE Helen
    MSE News: BT prices to rise this Saturday
    • 30th Nov 11, 4:28 PM
    MSE News: BT prices to rise this Saturday 30th Nov 11 at 4:28 PM
    This is the discussion thread for the following MSE News Story:

"As well as line rental, some call costs and TV and broadband package prices will also rise in price on 3 December ..."

Page 1
  • BargainMad
    • 30th Nov 11, 4:57 PM
    • 30th Nov 11, 4:57 PM
    Well here goes with the first post.

I have just had my evening and weekend calls at no extra charge renewed for another 12 months on a rolling contract (to November 2013).

I thought these had been banned but it turns out they are banned in a few weeks time i.e. from January 2012.

I am now losing my paper free discount, seeing my line rental go up and am now locked in for another 12 months on a scheme that has been outlawed but not soon enough.

So how can I switch without incurring the penalty
    • savemoney
    • By savemoney 30th Nov 11, 5:00 PM
    • 13,016 Posts
    • 11,613 Thanks
    savemoney
    • 30th Nov 11, 5:00 PM
    • 30th Nov 11, 5:00 PM
    They also scrapping discount for paperless billing BT seem to be very greedy this year 2nd rise just like energy suppliers
    • I luv cats
    • By I luv cats 30th Nov 11, 5:03 PM
    • 14,065 Posts
    • 72,008 Thanks
    I luv cats
    • 30th Nov 11, 5:03 PM
    Thanks for the reminder!!!! LOL
    • 30th Nov 11, 5:03 PM
    QUOTE=MSE Helen;48967357]This is the discussion thread for the following MSE News Story:

"As well as line rental, some call costs and TV and broadband package prices will also rise in price on 3 December ..."

[/QUOTE]

I feel like I have been mugged by Bt then they felt sorry for me!!

I was paying 13.90 and 4.70 - 1.25 = 17.35 !

increasing to

14.60 and 4.90 = 19.50 (+ 2.15)

BUT

I've agreed to a 12 month term to pay now 16.50 (85p up)

• Yut_Man
    • By Yut_Man 30th Nov 11, 5:18 PM
    • 136 Posts
    • 62 Thanks
    Yut_Man
    • 30th Nov 11, 5:18 PM
    • 30th Nov 11, 5:18 PM
    I got out of the BT money cow last year after being tied in with there hidden 12 month renewal clause. Best move I ever did. My new provider is as good as BT ever was (Primus), even when I had problems with my line. Im 8 a month better off. Usual story, place the word BRITISH in the name and get ripped off.
  • BargainMad
    • 30th Nov 11, 6:09 PM
    • 30th Nov 11, 6:09 PM
    How did you do that I LUV CATS ?

Who did you speak to ?

I am still mad that I am locked in with my evening calling plan literally a few days before the increase.
    • Blackjack Davy
    • By Blackjack Davy 30th Nov 11, 6:26 PM
    • 509 Posts
    • 272 Thanks
    Blackjack Davy
    • 30th Nov 11, 6:26 PM
    • 30th Nov 11, 6:26 PM
    Yeah I got this email from BT last night as well. I'm truly sick and tired of BT's price hikes, the scrapping of the paperless discount was the last straw for me.

So I phoned Sky (I've had Sky BB and Sky Talk (for the discount) for years) so decided to switch to Sky for the line rental too as it's only 12.25 pcm (9.95 if you pay 12 months upfront) and they offered me FREE BB and line rental for a YEAR!

One very happy bunny here.
    Blessed are the geeks, for they shall inherit the Internet.
  • BargainMad
    • 30th Nov 11, 7:05 PM
    • 30th Nov 11, 7:05 PM
    Great deal BlackJack !

The more I think about the automatic renewal process, the more annoyed I am....

With BT for pretending it is for your convenience (yeah right).

With OFTEL for actually outlawing it but giving BT months before it has to do it. If something is identified as wrong then it should be stopped straight away i.e. all auto contracts should be stopped at the time they come up for renewal. It's that kind of toothless practice that lets big companies get away with practices longer than they should. They must be locking tens of thousands in during these last few months of 2011.

But most of all I am annoyed with myself for not being aware what was going to happen with the auto renewal of the calls package, the disbanding of paper free billing and the further increase in line rental and call costs.
    Last edited by BargainMad; 30-11-2011 at 7:07 PM. Reason: -
    • I luv cats
    • By I luv cats 30th Nov 11, 7:58 PM
    • 14,065 Posts
    • 72,008 Thanks
    I luv cats
    • 30th Nov 11, 7:58 PM
    • 30th Nov 11, 7:58 PM
    How did you do that I LUV CATS ?

Who did you speak to ?

I am still mad that I am locked in with my evening calling plan literally a few days before the increase.
    Originally posted by BargainMad
    good day BargainMad

Initially I spoke to somebody in Billing Dept who said the only option was Line Saver. (12 month upfront) I said I am leaving as too dear and got put through to customer options who offered the 3 off deal for a 12 mth contract.

So am 85p up in the end!!!
  • SquareMeal
    So how can I switch without incurring the penalty
    Originally posted by BargainMad
    Hi BargainMad - if I understand correctly, you are on a monthly rolling contract, which is the contract BT quietly put you on when your previous fixed length contract expires. If so, you should be able to immediately move onto a better fixed length contract with BT or another supplier. Your BT contract lasts only to the end of the month, by definition. Sorry if I got your situation wrong.

In April 2011 I called BT to see when my contract ended, initially hoping to get a free home hub 3. Called 0800 800 15 then 1->3->4->2. The 4 is the option for "stopping your service", ie. leaving BT. The bloke said I was not on a fixed term contract it was just month to month "rolling". This is what BT do after customer's come to the end of their fixed term contracts. They guy offered to drop my charges from 18.40 per month (15.40 line rental + 3.00 for the free evening/weekend calls package) to 10.00, still including evening & weekend calls, ie no drop in service. To get that, I had to sign up for a 12 month contract. Did so.

Regarding this "line rental saver", it sounds like an easy way for us BT chumps to save 13.80 per quarter. (14.60*3 - 120/4). And no brainer as you can move to it mid contract. I wonder how much they give you back if, having paid the 120, you decide to switch suppliers.

By keeping a close eye on my relationship with BT I have managed to get competitive prices out of them. I would advise others to call them and badger.

They are slippery though. I particularly like the way every bill follows a completely different so you can't compare with the previous quarter. Arthur Daley would have been proud of that one.
    • Makeandsave
    • By Makeandsave 30th Nov 11, 8:04 PM
    • 3,287 Posts
    • 32,686 Thanks
    Makeandsave
    Talktalk will follow like lost sheep. I am with Aol (part of TT) they tend to follow but i always ring up and complain and they offer me a discount.
    May wins: 10 winneroo, In the city book, Scrabble game. 2 bottles of gin liqueur.
  • BargainMad
    Hi SquareMeal

It is the calls package of the landline that the contract has auto renewed - for free evening and weekend calls. The new contract is for 12 months with a penalty equal to the months remaining at what the package would cost so I would incur a 12 month penalty

It renewed a few days ago just before these rises come into effect. So the spur to move supplier is restrained by them holding onto me with this darn penalty.

Auto Renewals of contracts are banned from 1st January 2012 so BT are obviously delighted that for several months they can still continue with this practice even though they have been deemed unfair. Typical !

Looks like line rental in advance might be my only option - 120 upfront but at least a saving of 50 over the year. Then in December 2012 I am moving from BT FOREVER !!!
  • hermante
    Looks like paper bills for me from now!
    • derrick
    • By derrick 1st Dec 11, 10:08 AM
    • 7,156 Posts
    • 2,338 Thanks
    derrick
    Regarding this "line rental saver", it sounds like an easy way for us BT chumps to save 13.80 per quarter. (14.60*3 - 120/4). And no brainer as you can move to it mid contract. I wonder how much they give you back if, having paid the 120, you decide to switch suppliers.
    Originally posted by SquareMeal
    Nothing, it is "non-refundable".

BT , click on "the legal stuff";-

"Line Rental Saver. Available to BT Calling Plan customers paying 120 for 12 months in advance by debit/credit card equivalent to 10 a month. Any additional charges to be paid by Direct Debit with e-billing. At least two BT calls must be made per month or six BT calls per quarter to avoid a monthly charge of 1.50 or a quarterly charge of 4.50 being added to your bill. If you cancel Line Rental Saver within seven working days of your order you will get a full refund of your advance payment to the debit or credit card you paid with. Otherwise the advance payment is non-refundable. Exclusions and conditions apply."

Don`t steal - the Government doesn`t like the competition

• Pincher
    • By Pincher 1st Dec 11, 12:45 PM
    • 6,516 Posts
    • 2,491 Thanks
    Pincher
    I find the combination of Line Rental Saver, Anytime and Friends and Family Mobile (7p per minute) is very good. Mainly because 0845 and 0870 are included in Anytime.

I just don't know what is happening with these extra numbers like 0844. Are they overspills because 0845 is all used up, or is it 0845 is free to Anytime customers, so they create another code that isn't free?
    • HappyMJ
    • By HappyMJ 1st Dec 11, 12:53 PM
    • 20,595 Posts
    • 17,201 Thanks
    HappyMJ
    0844 is a premium number it could cost anything to call.

Regular savers earn 6% interest (HSBC, First Direct, M&S) Loans cost 2.9% per year (Nationwide) = FREE money.
    • PeteM1967
    • By PeteM1967 1st Dec 11, 2:13 PM
    • 23 Posts
    • 10 Thanks
    PeteM1967
    good day BargainMad

Initially I spoke to somebody in Billing Dept who said the only option was Line Saver. (12 month upfront) I said I am leaving as too dear and got put through to customer options who offered the 3 off deal for a 12 mth contract.

So am 85p up in the end!!!
    Originally posted by I luv cats
    I think the 3 discount is available to anyone that threatens to leave and is willing to be tied in for 12 months. I was given it back in August when my free Unlimited Evening & weekend 12 month deal came up for renewal. As I have BB with Sky moving the voice and line rental to them would have saved a lot of money so I threatened BT with that and instantly got the 3 discount in return for renewing.

In conjunction with the paper free discount and inclusive 0845 calls it made BT a little more competative.

Incidentally I wasn't really intending to move the voice side to Sky as that would involve going full LLU which might cause problems in the future if I ever wanted to change supplier - but BT didn't know this.

Now the loss of paper free discount and associated line rental increase is making me think again. Wondering if anyone has managed to get a bigger phone only discount out of BT?
    • mat5664
    • By mat5664 1st Dec 11, 4:15 PM
    • 158 Posts
    • 87 Thanks
    mat5664
    I have the 3 pounds a month off offer.

I see if you want to do the rental saver deal, you have to start a new 12 month deal and therefore lose the 3 a month off.

I presume paying the 12 months up front and losing the 3 a month is the cheaper option given the price rise?
    • Woodyrocks
    • By Woodyrocks 1st Dec 11, 9:01 PM
    • 1,897 Posts
    • 1,549 Thanks
    Woodyrocks
    Once again MSE saves the day and pocket I have been wanting to exit my BT contract for a few weeks after realising I was paying on average of 45 a month for my package option 3 including b/band. I literally make about 12 calls a month if that on my landline and stay on the phone no longer than 3minutes as I have my mobile. I also paid my line rental im advance so I couldn't fathom out why it was so costly. Anyhoo, decided to go with TalkTalk but BT told me I was in contract until May and would have to pay a sum to buy myself out. Thought I was stuck until I saw the post about the price hike. Gave them a call and was released by the end of the call. Happy days!
    CC Debt: 6250 (Oct 2018)
    PayPal Credit: 305 (Oct 2018)
    Savings: 0 (Oct 2018)
  • darkeyes
    I have the 3 pounds a month off offer.

I see if you want to do the rental saver deal, you have to start a new 12 month deal and therefore lose the 3 a month off.

I presume paying the 12 months up front and losing the 3 a month is the cheaper option given the price rise?
    Originally posted by mat5664
    I just moved to Plusnet. 13/month, but only 113.88 if using Line Rental Saver (=9.49/month). You need to take their 'Value' broadband (ie not very high bandwidth, at only 10GB/month) as well, but at 6.49 and half-price for nine months, why wouldn't you? In any case, I can download as much as I like overnight.

Also by the way, a tip for heavy users. Go for their 'Extra' (60GB/month), and you'll pay 11.49/month, but take the half-price 'Value' (10GB), and then upgrade to 'Extra' in time for month 2, and you'll still keep the 3.25 discount for the remaining 11 months, without an penalty for altering your package! I think 8.24 for 60GB/month is about the best deal out there currently (correct if I'm wrong, please).
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

307Posts Today

4,252Users online

Martin's Twitter