Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • zippychick
    • By zippychick 4th Jun 11, 11:19 AM
    • 9,343Posts
    • 17,889Thanks
    zippychick
    • 4th Jun 11, 11:19 AM
    4th Jun 11 at 11:19 AM
    Hi everyone,

Welcome to the eleventh Grocery Challenge of 2011,

If your new month starts early feel free to join this thread, or if you're still working on your September budget, then keep on posting in theOctober 2011 Grocery Challenge

As always this challenge is to reduce your own grocery budget to levels that you will be pleased with, not forgetting that we always recommend that you stay inside your own comfort levels and take things gently one step at a time. Remember that this is not a competition....it's designed to take you and your grocery spending to a level you are happy with.

If you are new to the challenge I have quoted the advice from Galtizz below which will help you get started.

Please post into this thread for help and advice and support at any time. Good luck to everyone taking part!

I have said this before, but for all the newbies to the challenge;

For the first month I took a guess at the budget but I really had no idea how much I was spending.

I found the best thing is to have a guess the first month but SAVE ALL OF YOUR RECEIPTS (and yes, that does include the ones from the local shop when you run out of milk ), then at the end of the month add them all up and have a look if you were on budget, if not, it doesn't matter because your budget was a guess. For the next month you can use the total of your receipts and take a bit off to get a realistic budget, just shave off as much as you think you can, it could be 1 a week or 20 a week.

If you are currently spending 200 a month don't suddenly drop it to 100 - you'll never do it but if you cut 20 a month off for a few months you'll get there eventually without feeling you're missing out on anything.

You might think you've done everything you can in the first month but someone always comes up with a new idea and, if you try it you often find you save a bit more (unless you are SarahSaver who is an expert at this and could only save more if she turned her back garden into a paddy field and lived on rice ) In the first month I thought, I'm planning meals, I couldn't possibly save any more, but then I started double cooking and freezing, and making soup instead of buying it in tins.

I've been doing this since Feb but only saved ALL of my receipts last month, it has given me a much better idea of where it is all going. Budget for next month is 80 for 2 of us, I'll start on 30/4. I could probably save more, by eating different foods but I can afford to live on 80, I have saved a lot of money since Feb. and I don't waste food or money any more. So I'm happy with my budget.
    For quidelines on posting in this thread please read the second post in this thread.

For the Grocery challenge Recipe Index please see posts #3, #4, #5 and #6 on this thread.

For everyones totals, see post #7 on this thread

I hope everyone has a great month!

Zip
    Last edited by squeaky; 26-10-2011 at 5:52 PM.
    A little nonsense now and then is relished by the wisest men
    Norn Iron club member #380

Page 53
  • CompBunny
    Thanks for the update Recovering Spendaholic, its a shame that the coffee shop isn't practical for the future but I'm sure selling on your own terms will be much better

Adding 4.30... Lazy food. Been so much of it this month with my Grandfather being hospitalised (visiting every single evening and sometimes daytime too) then sadly passing away. We had the funeral today which was difficult being around my estranged father, but nice to commemorate Grandad's life and remember how very special he was and how lucky I was to be so close to him. It really is true when they say it is better to have loved and to lose than to never love at all xx
    GC2012: Nov 130.52/125
    GC2011:Sept:215
    Oct:123.98Nov:120Dec:138Feb:94.72

Quit smoking 10am 17/02/11 - 4315 saved as of Nov'12

Engaged to my best friend 08/2012

• ms_night_ryder
    • By ms_night_ryder 28th Nov 11, 9:38 PM
    • 3,001 Posts
    • 11,582 Thanks
    ms_night_ryder
    O.k i need a smack on the hand.

Spent 4.57 it was mostly whoopsies, i went to 4 supermarkets doing my usual promo work and ms jobs, in tescos the big store, i got 4 lindt bells for a quid, always wonder why i don't get more! so yummy.

Asda spent 1.07 got 3 fruit salad bars, 20p for a pack of 5 pancakes with strawberry sauce inside whoopsied and x 2 packs of 50/50 pockets, like pitta pockets.

I then thought i could resist the next sm, but was browsing the reduced area, but didnt see anything i fancied, as i was about to leave the man reducing the stuff said, look bananas a pack for 30p, i said no thank you, i don't like bananas, so he said look in the trolley i am reducing them all, so ended up with a pack of red rooster potatoes for 62p, a pack of 4 jazz apples t finest 44p and a pack of tfinest vine tomates 44p, * sigh i cant keep away, bread and pancakes in the freezer.

Also went to lidl specifically to look for their cellophane at 99p a roll,, which i need for a gift, so maybe that doesnt count, wrapping the gift and making choccie slabs with my 5 year old god daughter when she comes to stay in 2 weeks.

DECLARING 66.41

Phew new month tomorrow.
    Lose 28lb 3/28lb
    SPC Member 1522/2012-264/ new pot 2013
    • TheThriftyScrumpers
    • By TheThriftyScrumpers 28th Nov 11, 10:07 PM
    • 272 Posts
    • 5,359 Thanks
    TheThriftyScrumpers
    Hello!
    I hope everyone is ok. I will come in under budget this month. Largely down to whoopsie haul's and being able to use three money off vouchers at Mr T which combined took 18 off one shop

Meal Plan :

sun - shepherds pie, carrots, broccolli and cauli
    mon - sweet chilli salmon, new pots and carrots
    tues - chilli and coriander sausages, pasta and sauce
    wed - ham and pineapple pizza
    thurs - fish pie and veg
    fri - steak and pots dauphinoise

Only sunday and thursday contain food bought at full price! lunches will be some HM parsnip and carrot and cumin soup I made to use up my veg last week. I am hoping to do some baking with DS (2 1/2) tomorrow. We made rock cakes last week which he really enjoyed. I had to sweep the floor twice afterwards to get rid of all the sugar!

Night x
    GC Mar 11 437.08Apr 11 459.26 May 11 485.52 June 11 423.79July 11 409.22 Aug 11 250.10Sept 11 396.14Oct 11 382.37Nov 11 372.55Dec 11 332.29 Jan 12 375.19:Feb 12 349.58Mar 12 279.66Apr 12 249.12May 12 337.66/Jun 12 362.58/Jul 12 317.03/Aug 12 354.02/Sept 439.72/Oct 12 210.16
    • tigerfeet2006
    • By tigerfeet2006 29th Nov 11, 5:39 AM
    • 13,812 Posts
    • 29,889 Thanks
    tigerfeet2006
    Comp Bunny, I am so Pleased it went well despite everything. Wishing you all the best.
    BSCno.87
    The only stupid question is an unasked one
    I now live in a country that is 4 hours ahead of the UK so you may now find I post at weird times
    [/COLOR][/CENTER]
  • ebayqueen
    Hi compbunny

I am sure you are glad that the funeral is over now. So many emotions come to the surface at this time. I agree with you about love. Some people are scared to love in case they lose, but they are missing out on so much. Take care of yourself.
    "You are never too old to set another goal or to dream a new dream" C. S. Lewis
    • Spiggle
    • By Spiggle 29th Nov 11, 8:09 AM
    • 1,751 Posts
    • 14,202 Thanks
    Spiggle
    Hi All,

Just a quick post and run I'm afraid.

Haven't updated sig yet but am still under. Tomorrow is final day for us and new month Thursday. I'll try and sort out sig later tonight.

Well done for some fantastic achievments in November.
    Hugs for you compbunny.

Gotta run.

Take care,
    Spigs
    Mortgage Free October 2013
  • LittleMissHappy
    Thanks for the update Recovering Spendaholic, its a shame that the coffee shop isn't practical for the future but I'm sure selling on your own terms will be much better

Adding 4.30... Lazy food. Been so much of it this month with my Grandfather being hospitalised (visiting every single evening and sometimes daytime too) then sadly passing away. We had the funeral today which was difficult being around my estranged father, but nice to commemorate Grandad's life and remember how very special he was and how lucky I was to be so close to him. It really is true when they say it is better to have loved and to lose than to never love at all xx
    Originally posted by CompBunny
    So true about loving and losing compbunny Glad the funeral went as well as could be expected
    Be the change you want to see in the world - Gandhi
    OU - DD100 (P ), DSE141 (D ), DSE212 (P ), ED209 (02/12), DXR222 (07/12) SD226 (02/13)
  • LittleMissHappy
    I haven't spent any more on groceries and I won't be spending anything today (other than maybe 1.18 for milk!) so I am going to add that to my sig just in case and declare 192.36 for November So 7.64 under budget

Off to the December thread, see you there
    Be the change you want to see in the world - Gandhi
    OU - DD100 (P ), DSE141 (D ), DSE212 (P ), ED209 (02/12), DXR222 (07/12) SD226 (02/13)
  • ebayqueen
    Good morning all

Decided not to get my As*a delivery this week, due to complete hassle I had over the last few weeks. It is normally delivered Thursday at the latest but had a message in town last night and decided to get what I needed.

Total in Mr T's 29.71. Will update total now and know that I am under the 350. This is the first month that I have set my target as low as this and I have achieved it. So my new total for each month will be 350 . Though I am allowing and extra 100 for butcher and fresh food for Christmas, so my total will be higher. Making sense ??????

This is some change to what I was this time last year. I would honestly say I was hitting 600. Total and absolute waste of money. If I can do it anyone can. So keep going folks and welcome to all newbies who read this thread. Onwards and upwards for December.
    "You are never too old to set another goal or to dream a new dream" C. S. Lewis
    • bestill
    • By bestill 29th Nov 11, 9:09 AM
    • 57 Posts
    • 996 Thanks
    bestill
    Declaring Nov total at 309.81budget was 320 so v. pleased. Off to Dec challenge now, see you all there.
    • cookiemum
    • By cookiemum 29th Nov 11, 12:10 PM
    • 131 Posts
    • 2,119 Thanks
    cookiemum
    Declaring at 328.51 for November. Failed again

Decided to up budget for December by 50. Even with meal planning and weekly shops I can't seem to get under 300. Just have to fiddle other budgets to find the extra. My DH always laughs about my creative budgeting. See you in December thread.

February Grocery Challenge 301.46/300
    To feed - Me, DH, DD, DS and 1 dog

• sproggi
    • By sproggi 29th Nov 11, 12:15 PM
    • 1,517 Posts
    • 6,376 Thanks
    sproggi
    Another NSD today helped along by me catching kids stomach bug.
    Only one more day to go, if I can manage that without shopping, then I will come in under budget

Sproggi
    'We can get over being poor, but it takes longer to get over being ignorant'
    Jane Sequichie Hifler
    Beware of little expenses.A small leak will sink a great ship
    Benjamin Franklin
    • quintwins
    • By quintwins 29th Nov 11, 2:01 PM
    • 5,003 Posts
    • 29,347 Thanks
    quintwins
    if your kids have got the same tummy bug as mine you won't be going anywhere for awhile

nsd today altho not really threw choice i needed milk and bread, asked mil to get it while i ran into an appointment with the kids and when i came out she gave me my money back, so free milk and bread
    DFW 7632/28996 26.3%
    • Pixie Fairydust
    • By Pixie Fairydust 29th Nov 11, 3:13 PM
    • 260 Posts
    • 3,716 Thanks
    Pixie Fairydust
    Hi all, I would like to declare 302.57for November. Well over budget but better than it would have been in previous months

See you over on the December thread.

Pixie
    It's the most wonderful time of the year!
    Bears, Beets, Battlestar Galactica!
    I wish you were here.
    But you're not, you're there.
    And there doesn't know how lucky it is.

• tigerfeet2006
    • By tigerfeet2006 29th Nov 11, 5:26 PM
    • 13,812 Posts
    • 29,889 Thanks
    tigerfeet2006
    Today's dinner was sausage and vegetable bake.

I chopped up a pack of sausages into quarter's. Then chopped up some pumpkin, carrots and red onion and chucked everything in a baking tin. Sprinkled on caraway seed and drizzle with olive oil and give it a stir. Bunged it into a pre-heated at 200 deg C and cooked for 50 mins, take it out and stir it a couple of times. Poured on 500 ml beef stock/gravy and cooked for a further 10 mins. Served it with green beans and crusty HM rolls to mop up the gravy. Clean plates all round.

This was enough for five plus a portion of bake for DH to take to dinner tomorrow.

This should taste nice with things like sweet potato or butternut squash as well.
    Last edited by tigerfeet2006; 30-11-2011 at 7:48 AM.
    BSCno.87
    I now live in a country that is 4 hours ahead of the UK so you may now find I post at weird times
    [/COLOR][/CENTER]
  • bikelesschick
    That sounds lovely tigerfeet. I might try it myself some time!

My month does not end until tomorrow but I'm declaring now so I don't buy anything tomorrow.

The good news is that, since I last posted, I haven't bought anything else, managing with what I had already.

Final spend for this month 45.62 (budget was 30) so final result was way over budget but I learned a few things.
    • Rainy-Days
    • By Rainy-Days 29th Nov 11, 6:02 PM
    • 1,420 Posts
    • 14,454 Thanks
    Rainy-Days
    Final check in for November

Sainsburys

Lidl

Aldi

Total

Not sure what my final total is - haven't a clue!!
    Last edited by Rainy-Days; 29-11-2011 at 6:06 PM.
    • tigerfeet2006
    • By tigerfeet2006 29th Nov 11, 8:54 PM
    • 13,812 Posts
    • 29,889 Thanks
    tigerfeet2006
    Today's dinner was sausage and vegetable bake.

I chopped up a pack of sausages into quarter's. Then chopped up some pumpkin, carrots and red onion and chucked everything in a baking tin. Sprinkled on caraway seeds. Bunged it into a pre-heated at 200 deg C and cooked for 50 mins. Poured on 500 ml beef stock/gravy and cooked for a further 10 mins. Served it with green beans and crusty HM rolls to mop up the gravy. Clean plates all round.

This was enough for five plus a portion of bake for DH to take to dinner tomorrow.

This should taste nice with things like sweet potato or butternut squash as well.
    Originally posted by tigerfeet2006
    Meant to say I drizzled some olive oil on this and tossed it round before I put it into bake

That teach me to try and type and chat to three kids at the same time
    BSCno.87
    [/COLOR][/CENTER]
  • rosieben
    Meant to say I drizzled some olive oil on this and tossed it round before I put it into bake
    Originally posted by tigerfeet2006
    Tiger, could you copy and paste the note above into your original recipe post when you have a chance please. Someone reading the recipe in years to come probably won't see your later post

I've added the recipe to the index
    ... don't throw the string away. You always need string!

C.R.A.P.R.O.L.L.Z Head Sharpener
    • prepareathome
    • By prepareathome 30th Nov 11, 3:08 AM
    • 1,822 Posts
    • 24,925 Thanks
    prepareathome
    Well as I will not be doing any shopping today I can see declare the challenge blown with a whopping 325.85 spent. I did actually do a shop yesterday but that was totally Christmas bit and bobs in Mr S so not including it as it came out of savings. I will put it back out of hubbys earnings over next few weeks so might at it to challenge total then, but everything in the shop was only bought for Boxing Day would not buy any of it any other time. Really what I saved in Sealed Pot Challenge actually pays for it but not cashing that in till next year hopefully.

Decided this year I am going to make mulled wine, not done that since not been able to drink thanks to meds - I would be able to fly to sons wedding in Melbourne without a plane if mixed meds with alchol So searched around and found two bottles of non alcholic red wine for 5, they do white but mulled wine should be red, well I think so anyway Did remember the spices as well.So when my guests arrive on Boxing Day hopefully my friends should be greeted by the smell of mulled wine served in my punch bowl ( got it as a wedding present 31 years ago and its only be used on a handful of occasions, being lead crystal I was always scared if I used it for kids parties it would get broken, so punch for them was made in a big glass bowl and they drank out of paper cups, where as the punch bowl has all the little cups that hang round it, daft it sits there in its box never being used. I just must remember to make sure I have fruit to slice and put in it. Does anyone know if I could buy fruit now and slice and freeze it and then just pop it in punch on the day????? Shloer was 1 a bottle so bought 5 different ones that always goes down well, the teenagers feel they are drinking grown up drink and are happy Also got my mini real they never get many in and a lot of years I miss them as I love those little trees and have lots of little decorations for it including lights, its only about 12ins at most high including pot but only tree I buy now since kids left home. I plant them out in the garden about April and one is now 12ft high. Mr S only place I have ever seen them.

So bought most of my presents now, just 7 more to get and two might be gift cards for itunes for a 13 and 14 year old as don't know what else to get them and music never goes wrong at that age. Granddaughter only wants things in black - she likes sculls as well, a goth in the making methinks and managed to get a lovely necklace and matching earings in black onyx so that should keep her happy just not sure what else.

So have revised my total budget for December to 250 as now bought most in for store cupboard and no room for anything else so will see if I can cut it down, if so can aim for 200 in Jan, I want to eventually get down to about 100 most months, as that should be more than enough for two of us but I will having learnt my lesson this month take babysteps to achieve it.
    C.R.A.P R.O.L.L.Z # 1 prepareathome - baker, premium prepper (hence member #1), topic keeper
    Sealed Pot Member1433:2011 119.12/2012-? Save 12k in 2012 No 126
    Stopped Smoking Wed 25th Jan 2012
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

1,094Posts Today

6,352Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • It's the weekend, it's the weekend, yay. It's that moment, when as usual, to sign off for family time. So I bid y? https://t.co/2RYRnz3fEe

• Actually the BBC was set up to "educate, entertain and inform" so I think it is one of its responsibilities and cle? https://t.co/HMP4Q2Uptu

• Today's FRI twitter poll: Puritanical new laws by Tories/Labour/EU/Trump/Putin (pick ur own scapegoat) dictate mode? https://t.co/3LW55tFGJ9

• Follow Martin