Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • MSE Guy
    • By MSE Guy 25th Nov 11, 9:57 AM
    • 1,628Posts
    • 1,255Thanks
    MSE Guy
    MSE News: Santander: Service has improved, but there's a long way to go
    • 25th Nov 11, 9:57 AM
    MSE News: Santander: Service has improved, but there's a long way to go 25th Nov 11 at 9:57 AM
    This is the discussion thread for the following MSE News Story:

"The woman who runs Santander personal banking claims it has turned the corner after a torrid 18 months
    ..."

Page 1
    • Lith
    • By Lith 25th Nov 11, 10:46 AM
    • 881 Posts
    • 253 Thanks
    Lith
    • 25th Nov 11, 10:46 AM
    • 25th Nov 11, 10:46 AM
    improved? (maybe so)

But thank god i got a branch transfer form from RBS, not letting satan take over my account.
    HSBC (Main A/C)
    Halifax Back up A/C
    Lloyds (Spending) A/C
    RBS Back up A/C
    Barclays Old A/C
    Nationwide Old A/C
    • alanq
    • By alanq 25th Nov 11, 11:18 AM
    • 4,154 Posts
    • 2,732 Thanks
    alanq
    • 25th Nov 11, 11:18 AM
    • 25th Nov 11, 11:18 AM
    The reduction of queues in branch is mentioned repeatedly as a success. Isn't one reason that queues are shorter that Santander has such a bad reputation that many potential customers don't come and that many existing customers have left?
    • poppy10
    • By poppy10 25th Nov 11, 11:58 AM
    • 6,176 Posts
    • 7,490 Thanks
    poppy10
    • 25th Nov 11, 11:58 AM
    Still would never go near Santander with a bargepole. Awful, awful customer service - they treat their customers with contempt.
    • molerat
    • By molerat 25th Nov 11, 11:58 AM
    • 20,749 Posts
    • 15,015 Thanks
    molerat
    If they put as much effort into fixing the systems that don't work they would then reduce the number of complaints that they are now putting so much effort into handling.

I recently had a problem with opening an e-account on line and submitted a secure message. I then received a phone call telling me that I could open the (on line e-) account by phoning an 0800 number, when this call was sorted I was passed on to someone else who asked questions about the handling of my complaint, the whole angle of the questions carefully worded towards me giving a positive answer. I answered that I was happy that they got back to me but a pity that they cannot get their systems to work properly and I will go somewhere that has a functioning system.
    https://www.helpforheroes.org.uk/give-support/donate-now/
  • tagq2
    • 25th Nov 11, 12:01 PM
    • 25th Nov 11, 12:01 PM
    Tips for future public relations interviews:

(1) If you submit a photo of yourself, whether you're prime minister or head of some-bank-department, then it's a flashing red light that you're more interested in putting across some sort of corporate personality rather than facts. Don't do it. It doesn't matter what you look like;

(2) As with any politician, it is obvious when you have come armed with some points, e.g. shorter queues, and you're wanting to redirect questions to your point. Lines like "what customers/people want is..." are also a warning sign - I already know what I want so you please tell me what you can/will/have deliver(ed);

(3) Phrases and sentiments along the lines of "hopefully come next year" are as useful as "perhaps maybe if I'm in the mood". Give detail. Commit and follow through. Build up a history of doing so;

(4) If you really want trust, allow journalists to speak freely to staff on the shop floor. They will tell people what's going right and wrong in their area. You've taken on board the idea that you need to improve - good! - but improvement ultimately happens when staff are well trained and well treated, including the freedom to get things done using their own initiative and intelligence rather than having to go through some complex centralised process.
  • gezzs
    • 25th Nov 11, 1:43 PM
    • 25th Nov 11, 1:43 PM
    Too late. Poor customer service meant I moved two accounts and my mortgage from them to First Direct - who I cannot fault
    • miller
    • By miller 25th Nov 11, 2:24 PM
    • 1,309 Posts
    • 483 Thanks
    miller
    • 25th Nov 11, 2:24 PM
    • 25th Nov 11, 2:24 PM
    It would be interesting to see if she would comment on this:
    http://www.thisismoney.co.uk/money/news/article-2049577/TONY-HETHERINGTON-How-ID-proof-Santander.html

How much other money do they have languishing in their own accounts which they can't be bothered to reunite with people? How many hoops do people have to jump through to get their own money?

Shambolic.
    • older_wiser
    • By older_wiser 25th Nov 11, 3:20 PM
    • 2,217 Posts
    • 3,650 Thanks
    older_wiser
    • 25th Nov 11, 3:20 PM
    • 25th Nov 11, 3:20 PM
    While i've not got much history with santander i'd like to put an alternative viewpoint.

while it took me three weeks to open my natwest current account it was far less probably 2 weeks maximum to open my santander account. My experience and this is limited to just over a month has been a good one. When i need to contact customer services this view might change lol
    • jeanmd
    • By jeanmd 25th Nov 11, 3:49 PM
    • 2,265 Posts
    • 25,053 Thanks
    jeanmd
    The reduction of queues in branch is mentioned repeatedly as a success. Isn't one reason that queues are shorter that Santander has such a bad reputation that many potential customers don't come and that many existing customers have left?
    Originally posted by alanq
    Or maybe it, just that there's a lot more branches now.

Nice to know the call centres are back in this country now. I'd stopped using them, at least now If I have to make a call I won't have to ask to be transferred.
    Last edited by jeanmd; 25-11-2011 at 3:52 PM.
    Thank you to everyone who contributes to mse.

"Discipline is just choosing between what you want now and what you want most" - Unknown Author
  • rb10
    Originally posted by alanq
    Where did this info come from? I thought Santander's customer base was increasing in size.
    • Paulgonnabedebtfree
    • By Paulgonnabedebtfree 25th Nov 11, 7:39 PM
    • 2,703 Posts
    • 28,940 Thanks
    Paulgonnabedebtfree
    Have Santander improved?
    I really don't know because I got so sick of them, the only bit of business I now do with them is very minimal and simple stuff that even they can't **** up.
    I moved my mortgage away. I moved two insurance policies away. I moved most of my business banking away (specifically, the incoming BACS transfers).
    Even then they wrote to me saying that they needed a legally signed copy of a death certificate to prove that my (named) business partner had really died (I have never had a business partner and I had never heard of the named deceased). That was an appalling breach of confidentiality. They did credit me with a tenner to more than cover the cost of the calls that I made to ensure that my bank account hadn't been mixed up with another business - but that's not really the point.
    They failed to supply a single BACS customer reference for incoming BACS payments for well over a year. Fortunately, as my business is a small one, I was usually able to trace where the payment came from by the amount and surname. However,some banks (notably IF), don't reveal the surname. So there were several occasions when I had to contact customers to find out if a payment was from them or someone else. After 18 months they finally resolved this - by which time I had opened a business account elsewhere specifically to receive BACS payments. I only keep the Santander account on to put the cheques and cash through so I'm probably costing them money - but it's their own fault.
    I do wonder if Ms Hogg has stuck around to read these responses. It's all very well trying to give out a positive, spin-doctored corporate image like some quasi-politician, but it's substance that counts. They would do their image far more good by assigning someone to troubleshoot on these forums. Actually, they would probably need a whole team but it would more than pay for itselff in the longer term.
    Will I start having my BACS payments sent to Santander again? No chance. The trust has gone. The BACS references disappeared due to an "upgrade". Who's to say that some future upgrade won't produce similar results?
    I was with Abbey National (then Abbey) for nearly 30 years without a single hitch. Santander take over and in trying to fix things that aren't broken, they made one balls up after another.
    I doubt that the trust will ever return.
    • Paulgonnabedebtfree
    • By Paulgonnabedebtfree 25th Nov 11, 7:42 PM
    • 2,703 Posts
    • 28,940 Thanks
    Paulgonnabedebtfree
    Or maybe it, just that there's a lot more branches now.

Nice to know the call centres are back in this country now. I'd stopped using them, at least now If I have to make a call I won't have to ask to be transferred.
    Originally posted by jeanmd
    Yes that was awful. I remember a day when I disconnected the call three times. On the fourth I got someone whose accent I could understand.
    • Eco Miser
    • By Eco Miser 25th Nov 11, 11:55 PM
    • 3,444 Posts
    • 3,239 Thanks
    Eco Miser
    Tips for future public relations interviews:

(1) If you submit a photo of yourself, whether you're prime minister or head of some-bank-department, then it's a flashing red light that you're more interested in putting across some sort of corporate personality rather than facts. Don't do it. It doesn't matter what you look like;
    Originally posted by tagq2
    That's unfair. Journalists like photos. If you don't provide one, they'll dig one up from the archive, or an internet search.
    Eco Miser
    Saving money for well over half a century
  • paulusmagnificus
    Improvement?
    Twenty years happy with Alliance & Leicester, along come Santander, then all web access and account control dissapears for my disabled sons account! No cheque books sent. HUNDREDS OF CALLS & LETTERS TO SANTANDER. No help at all infact often we couldn't pass security as my wife didn't know here own date of birth according to Santander!
    Four complaint letters in the last 3 months they insist they are 'Resolution letters' none of the letters answer our queries or offer any resolutions to our issues. Even when writing to Senior complaints managers we still get no answers just patronising letters back.
    We asked for 400 compensation for all the trips into York to enable us to get payments made and cash. We were offered an insulting 25.

It now rests with the Ombudsman. When asked 'Do you think its fair that my disabled son can't have trips pout with his carer because we struggle to access our money? Do you think its fair you throw money at new accounts but won't compensate existing customers for driving them to a nervous breakdown?

No reply received, I rest my case they are utterly useless!
    • Gordon the Moron
    • By Gordon the Moron 26th Nov 11, 8:53 AM
    • 1,453 Posts
    • 739 Thanks
    Gordon the Moron
    Their service isn't the best but to me it is far from the worst, from my experience I would put Halifax and LloydsTSB as the bottom two by a country mile over Santander.
    If you don't like what I say slap me around with a large trout and PM me to tell me why.

If you do like it please hit the thanks button.
  • EdAke
    Have an awful long way to go
    I had a Credit Card taken out on the 0% Balance Transfer offer. Never had so many issues with paying money in to a bank. Wouldn't accept online transfers, bank staff didn't have a clue how to take payment on the card. Each visit took at least 20 minutes. Online help non-existent, telephone customer service completely useless, the only answer was 'You can't do it.'
    Never, never, never, never again will I darken the doors of Santandar
    • mattytun
    • By mattytun 26th Nov 11, 5:39 PM
    • 13,627 Posts
    • 238,226 Thanks
    mattytun
    Im glad they have moved there call centre back to uk.
    Can't sleep, quit counting sheep and talk directly to the shepherd
  • samjef11
    Im glad they have moved there call centre back to uk.
    Originally posted by mattytun
    It still won't improve them as the call centre advisor's seem to me that they had no training you must feel a bit sorry for them as it not the staff at the bank that is wrong it's is the company and it's management
    • GlennTheBaker
    • By GlennTheBaker 27th Nov 11, 7:48 AM
    • 2,807 Posts
    • 1,829 Thanks
    GlennTheBaker
    My Wife went to pay a travellers cheque in to our savings account and was told to sign it in front of the assistant in the lobby who also dealt with her enquiry( had advised them 3 time of change of name sent new card with her old name on but the letter it was enclosed with had her correct name on). Went to pay it in and talk to manager, was then advised they dont take travellers cheques. when the manager came out advised her she had been talking to the manager who told her to sign the travellers cheque. Someone's lying. Also saw staff using personal mobile phone on the reception floor.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

2,329Posts Today

8,047Users online

Martin's Twitter