Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Former MSE Helen
    • By Former MSE Helen 18th Nov 11, 4:18 PM
    • 2,324Posts
    • 971Thanks
    Former MSE Helen
    MSE News: Benefits recipients could lose 1 billion
    • 18th Nov 11, 4:18 PM
    MSE News: Benefits recipients could lose 1 billion 18th Nov 11 at 4:18 PM
    This is the discussion thread for the following MSE News Story:

"The Times newspaper claims ministers have backed a plan to renege on a promise to uprate payouts in line with inflation ..."

Page 1
    • flight747
    • By flight747 18th Nov 11, 4:38 PM
    • 497 Posts
    • 179 Thanks
    flight747
    • 18th Nov 11, 4:38 PM
    • 18th Nov 11, 4:38 PM
    Another tight - budget by Tories again. Why didn't David Cameron told us before that our rises will be within CPI inflation rate. And now government doesn't want to fork out 1 billion pound. What about us really struggle with higher energy cost, food cost, living cost is impossible now with loads of unemployed are rising.

The government ought ashame themselves and ******** selfish themselves. All they think is themselves only.

I don't think we won't get any rises next April because I bet March budget will be frozen all social welfare benefits until 2013.
    • poppy10
    • By poppy10 18th Nov 11, 4:40 PM
    • 6,164 Posts
    • 7,463 Thanks
    poppy10
    • 18th Nov 11, 4:40 PM
    • 18th Nov 11, 4:40 PM
    If public sector workers are all having their pay frozen (or cut), it would have been perverse for the government to give all dole recipients a 5.4% increase in their handouts. This move seems only fair.
    • flight747
    • By flight747 18th Nov 11, 4:43 PM
    • 497 Posts
    • 179 Thanks
    flight747
    • 18th Nov 11, 4:43 PM
    • 18th Nov 11, 4:43 PM
    And no pay rises for all MP's. Pay cut for all MP's and Prime Minister too. I cannot see it will happen to them. MP's always get highest increase in pay rises and cheating expenses allowance! They always get away with it. They must have a laughing face on us all who suffering the most. My father had no pay rise for 11 years on his job and he paying lots of taxes to government and benefits peoples who are out of work.
    • misfit
    • By misfit 18th Nov 11, 4:45 PM
    • 104 Posts
    • 2,597 Thanks
    misfit
    • 18th Nov 11, 4:45 PM
    • 18th Nov 11, 4:45 PM
    I guess that they needed to make up for the billion pounds that they let Richard Branson off with yesterday on his purchase on Northern Rock
    • KxMx
    • By KxMx 18th Nov 11, 4:47 PM
    • 7,579 Posts
    • 11,079 Thanks
    KxMx
    • 18th Nov 11, 4:47 PM
    • 18th Nov 11, 4:47 PM
    Sorry I knew the RPI linked benefits were stopping and switching to CPI move was happening a few years ago! Remember being surprised April this year it hadn't yet come in.
  • Louise03
    • 18th Nov 11, 4:51 PM
    • 18th Nov 11, 4:51 PM
    If public sector workers are all having their pay frozen (or cut), it would have been perverse for the government to give all dole recipients a 5.4% increase in their handouts. This move seems only fair.
    Originally posted by poppy10

Totally agree with this poppy10. Everyone should share the burden of cuts not just the employed. The cost of living is the same for us all.
    • von
    • By von 18th Nov 11, 4:56 PM
    • 514 Posts
    • 343 Thanks
    von
    • 18th Nov 11, 4:56 PM
    • 18th Nov 11, 4:56 PM
    My wages have been frozen for the last 3 years and will reduce by 3% in April. Yes, I am a civil servant and not particularly chuffed when I'm paying benefits to someone who has a higher weekly income than me - in full time work.
    When are the MP's going to reform their pensions? I though we were all supposed to be in this together?? If they had started with their own pension reform I would have a bit more respect for them.
    • ses6jwg
    • By ses6jwg 18th Nov 11, 5:31 PM
    • 5,202 Posts
    • 5,820 Thanks
    ses6jwg
    • 18th Nov 11, 5:31 PM
    • 18th Nov 11, 5:31 PM
    People in the public and many parts of the private sector havn't had pay rises since 2008.

Why should the dole bludgers get a rise?
    • Vincent Buenisedes
    • By Vincent Buenisedes 18th Nov 11, 5:32 PM
    • 304 Posts
    • 571 Thanks
    Vincent Buenisedes
    The Conservatives and the ilk would never pass up an opportunity to inflict harm on the most vulnerable of society while shielding their base.
    • Credit-Crunched
    • By Credit-Crunched 18th Nov 11, 5:58 PM
    • 2,106 Posts
    • 4,138 Thanks
    Credit-Crunched
    My heart bleeds, I have not had a pay rise in 3 years!
  • Arg
    Originally posted by poppy10
    To sack the many ovrpaid and unneeded public sector workers and put them on the dole would be fair.
    • zagfles
    • By zagfles 18th Nov 11, 6:24 PM
    • 14,111 Posts
    • 12,221 Thanks
    zagfles
    There've already been two threads posted here about this which were rapidly dispatched to DT. Do we get to discuss this on the benefits board now?
    • bestpud
    • By bestpud 18th Nov 11, 6:27 PM
    • 10,491 Posts
    • 21,313 Thanks
    bestpud
    I haven't had a pay rise in 4 years and my OH actually had a 10% pay cut a couple of years ago!

Seems right benefits should be frozen when so many are making sacrifices to keep their jobs.
    • zagfles
    • By zagfles 18th Nov 11, 6:32 PM
    • 14,111 Posts
    • 12,221 Thanks
    zagfles
    My heart bleeds, I have not had a pay rise in 3 years!
    Originally posted by Credit-Crunched
    Yes some people would kill for a 4.5% payrise. The vast majority of workers won't get that. Except the fat cats of course.

Also in the last year of the last govt, Sept inflation was negative, -1.4%, but benefits were increased 1.5%. So that was nearly a 3% real terms increase. Makes this real terms decrease of about 1% look trivial. I don't think it'll lead to mass starvation.
  • tagq2
    Income-related benefits are set at what the law considers to be "what you need to live on", far below minimum wage for anything approaching full time work. So they must increase in line with inflation, i.e. not decrease in real terms.

Those who have seen their wage go down in real terms would be better off campaigning for higher wages rather than suggesting that everyone should have to suffer like them. People at the bottom end of the range of incomes - whether working hard at a job, working hard finding a job, or severely ill/disabled - are all in the same boat and should work together rather than allow themselves to be divided and conquered.
  • Fiver29
    As a NMW earner I found it ridiculous that the MW went up this year when everyone else has pay freezes. IMO it's right that benefits are frozen.
    Moving onto a better place...Ciao
  • stepm
    Get real!!!
    Oh my God; almost everyone is living in the fantasy land called 'prosperity' and 'lets help the needy'. The real world is coming to a country near you very soon, and it will be very, very scary. The real world will mean working harder, longer and smarter for less money. It will also mean slashing benefits, reducing state pensions and downsizing the whole of the welfare state. Politicians have a severe problem with honesty but believe me, what I have said is on its way. No amount of protestation will stop it, it's inevitable. The centre of economic power and prosperity has moved eastwards and it is only enormous amounts of debt that have sustained our comfortable life for so long. Eventually, as everyone knows, credit will run out and the cost of servicing existing debts gets so high, the big knife will eventually have come out - don't think any other solution is possible.
    • Graham_Devon
    • By Graham_Devon 18th Nov 11, 6:41 PM
    • 53,565 Posts
    • 116,692 Thanks
    Graham_Devon
    Another tight - budget by Tories again. Why didn't David Cameron told us before that our rises will be within CPI inflation rate. And now government doesn't want to fork out 1 billion pound. What about us really struggle with higher energy cost, food cost, living cost is impossible now with loads of unemployed are rising.

The government ought ashame themselves and ******** selfish themselves. All they think is themselves only.

I don't think we won't get any rises next April because I bet March budget will be frozen all social welfare benefits until 2013.
    Originally posted by flight747
    I'd be absolutely chuffed to bits with a 4.5% rise.

I haven't had a pay rise for 2 years now.

These sorts of posts (the one I quoted) are the exact reason as to why some benefit claimants get a bad name.
    • zagfles
    • By zagfles 18th Nov 11, 6:42 PM
    • 14,111 Posts
    • 12,221 Thanks
    zagfles
    Income-related benefits are set at what the law considers to be "what you need to live on", far below minimum wage for anything approaching full time work. So they must increase in line with inflation, i.e. not decrease in real terms.
    Originally posted by tagq2
    Oh really? So people starved 10 years ago did they, since most benefits have increased well above inflation over the last 10 years. In particular child related benefits - even this govt put up the child element of tax credits by 11% in April this year.

Those who have seen their wage go down in real terms would be better off campaigning for higher wages rather than suggesting that everyone should have to suffer like them. People at the bottom end of the range of incomes - whether working hard at a job, working hard finding a job, or severely ill/disabled - are all in the same boat and should work together rather than allow themselves to be divided and conquered.
    Most workers saw their wages rise in real terms last decade. Just like benefit claimants did.

Now workers are seeing their wages fall in real terms. So are benefit claimants (if this story is true).
    Last edited by zagfles; 18-11-2011 at 6:44 PM.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

49Posts Today

1,577Users online

Martin's Twitter