Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Former MSE Helen
    • By Former MSE Helen 15th Nov 11, 3:15 PM
    • 2,324Posts
    • 971Thanks
    Former MSE Helen
    MSE News: Winter fuel payments: how to get them and are you eligible?
    • 15th Nov 11, 3:15 PM
    MSE News: Winter fuel payments: how to get them and are you eligible? 15th Nov 11 at 3:15 PM
    This is the discussion thread for the following MSE News Story:

"Most people aged over 60 can apply now to get help towards their winter energy costs from the Government ..."

Read the full story:

Winter fuel payments: how to get them and are you eligible?

If you haven’t already, join the forum to reply. If you aren’t sure how it all works, read our New to Forum? Intro Guide.

Last edited by Former MSE Andrea; 29-08-2013 at 3:25 PM.
Page 1
    • tgroom57
    • By tgroom57 16th Nov 11, 5:42 AM
    • 1,349 Posts
    • 12,840 Thanks
    tgroom57
    • 16th Nov 11, 5:42 AM
    • 16th Nov 11, 5:42 AM
    Point 9. from the newsletter
    ....Plus those on pension credit, income support or jobseekers' get 25 per 7 days the temp's below 0C.

They don't. They have to be also disabled or have a child.

See full T&C at Direct.gov (your link)
    I know, because last winter me an' the cat froze our nuts off.

• Middy
    • 16th Nov 11, 6:37 AM
    • 16th Nov 11, 6:37 AM
    I think the winter fuel payments need to be paid in Feb/March when the winter quarter bills are produced. I have heard so many pensioners buying Christmas presents, meals out etc with this money and when the bill does arrive, they have no money to pay it.
    • seven-day-weekend
    • By seven-day-weekend 16th Nov 11, 9:05 AM
    • 32,512 Posts
    • 64,465 Thanks
    seven-day-weekend
    • 16th Nov 11, 9:05 AM
    • 16th Nov 11, 9:05 AM
    I think the winter fuel payments need to be paid in Feb/March when the winter quarter bills are produced. I have heard so many pensioners buying Christmas presents, meals out etc with this money and when the bill does arrive, they have no money to pay it.
    Originally posted by Middy

If they use the money to buy Christmas presents, then they will have more money left in the spring to pay the winter fuel bill. It works out the same in the end!

Most people pay monthly anyway, so the WFA goes into the general expenses pot.
    Member #10 of 2 savers club
    Imagine someone holding forth on biology whose only knowledge of the subject is the Book of British Birds, and you have a rough idea of what it feels like to read Richard Dawkins on theology: Terry Eagleton
    • carlislelass
    • By carlislelass 16th Nov 11, 2:03 PM
    • 1,753 Posts
    • 4,391 Thanks
    carlislelass
    • 16th Nov 11, 2:03 PM
    • 16th Nov 11, 2:03 PM
    Got our letter saturday, money in account today...now taken out and split between gas/ electric.
  • Middy
    • 16th Nov 11, 4:18 PM
    • 16th Nov 11, 4:18 PM
    If they use the money to buy Christmas presents, then they will have more money left in the spring to pay the winter fuel bill. It works out the same in the end!

Most people pay monthly anyway, so the WFA goes into the general expenses pot.
    Originally posted by seven-day-weekend
    Sadly, many people that receive WFA aren't very MSE and don't pay their energy bills by DD. They receive quarterly bills. My mum's friend is 72 and doesn't have a single direct debit on her bank account. For the council tax, she drives the 10 miles to the district council's offices and pays in cash every month! Then earlier this year when her winter quarter gas bill arrived it was 320 and said that she couldn't afford it. Mum asked what did she do with the WFA. She replied with spending it on her two grandaughters!

When any of my parents or myself suggest doing things by direct debit, its like talking to a brick wall!
    • Jennifer_Jane
    • By Jennifer_Jane 16th Nov 11, 4:25 PM
    • 3,157 Posts
    • 4,365 Thanks
    Jennifer_Jane
    • 16th Nov 11, 4:25 PM
    • 16th Nov 11, 4:25 PM
    Sadly, many people that receive WFA aren't very MSE and don't pay their energy bills by DD. They receive quarterly bills. My mum's friend is 72 and doesn't have a single direct debit on her bank account. For the council tax, she drives the 10 miles to the district council's offices and pays in cash every month! Then earlier this year when her winter quarter gas bill arrived it was 320 and said that she couldn't afford it. Mum asked what did she do with the WFA. She replied with spending it on her two grandaughters!

When any of my parents or myself suggest doing things by direct debit, its like talking to a brick wall!
    Middy, I think you'll find that this is your experience and that I could say that 'Many people' DO use the WFA for their fuel bills (as seven-day-weekend says - it goes into the expenses 'pot'). And 'many people' I know do pay by DD.

Can you give some more verifiable statistics than 'Many'?
    Last edited by Jennifer_Jane; 16-11-2011 at 11:37 PM. Reason: Misquoted name. Apologies
  • Middy
    • 16th Nov 11, 5:03 PM
    • 16th Nov 11, 5:03 PM
    Middy, I think you'll find that this is your experience and that I could say that 'Many people' DO use the WFA for their fuel bills (as margaretclare says - it goes into the expenses 'pot'). And 'many people' I know do pay by DD.

Originally posted by Jennifer_Jane
    My grandmother lives in warden controlled housing and there are 35-40 flats in the block. She knows all of them by name and they talk about anything. She and one other have direct debits for energy and the rest pay by quarterly bill. They were all moaning about them unable to pay the bill.

Also have a friend that works in the post office as a counter assistant and a cousin that works for a bank as a cashier say that the elder customers pay their bills over the counter.

My dad has helped my grandmother filling in direct debit mandates etc.

Some elder people don't like change and therefore don't shop around for the best deals.
    • thorsoak
    • By thorsoak 16th Nov 11, 5:14 PM
    • 5,912 Posts
    • 27,557 Thanks
    thorsoak
    • 16th Nov 11, 5:14 PM
    • 16th Nov 11, 5:14 PM
    I have oil-fired central heating and have to pay "upfront" for oil - so when I do receive the WFA (the last two years, we received it around 20th November) I know that I can order a top-up on the oil (500 litres = around 300) which will keep me through the winter. I know a lot of people on oil-fired heating who do this - or those on solid fuel or wood burners then top-up their supplies.

We aren't all on gas or electric CH!
    • Jennifer_Jane
    • By Jennifer_Jane 16th Nov 11, 5:19 PM
    • 3,157 Posts
    • 4,365 Thanks
    Jennifer_Jane
    My grandmother lives in warden controlled housing and there are 35-40 flats in the block. She knows all of them by name and they talk about anything. She and one other have direct debits for energy and the rest pay by quarterly bill. They were all moaning about them unable to pay the bill.

Also have a friend that works in the post office as a counter assistant and a cousin that works for a bank as a cashier say that the elder customers pay their bills over the counter.

My dad has helped my grandmother filling in direct debit mandates etc.

Some elder people don't like change and therefore don't shop around for the best deals.

Middy, it's still highly anecdotal and not statistically significant in any way - how many people of these are not using the WFA for fuel? I think that was your contention, wasn't it?
    • Candy53
    • By Candy53 16th Nov 11, 7:24 PM
    • 2,471 Posts
    • 2,831 Thanks
    Candy53
    My husband is 60 next year, and I went to the Direct Gov site, and others, and they go by the year you are born. It said that my husband wasn't eligable for it until he was 65.

So when you say 'over 60' does that mean 65 - pensionable age?

Candy
    What goes around, comes around.
    • richard9991
    • By richard9991 16th Nov 11, 9:03 PM
    • 1,599 Posts
    • 863 Thanks
    richard9991
    Point 9. from the newsletter
    ....Plus those on pension credit, income support or jobseekers' get 25 per 7 days the temp's below 0C.

They don't. They have to be also disabled or have a child.

See full T&C at Direct.gov (your link)
    I know, because last winter me an' the cat froze our nuts off.
    Originally posted by tgroom57
    people on pension credit get cold weather payments of 25 per week whether or not they are disabled
    • seven-day-weekend
    • By seven-day-weekend 16th Nov 11, 9:53 PM
    • 32,512 Posts
    • 64,465 Thanks
    seven-day-weekend
    Middy, I think you'll find that this is your experience and that I could say that 'Many people' DO use the WFA for their fuel bills (as margaretclare says - it goes into the expenses 'pot'). And 'many people' I know do pay by DD.

Originally posted by Jennifer_Jane
    It was me who said that this time, although margaretclare has said it in the past!
    Member #10 of 2 savers club
    Imagine someone holding forth on biology whose only knowledge of the subject is the Book of British Birds, and you have a rough idea of what it feels like to read Richard Dawkins on theology: Terry Eagleton
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

1,322Posts Today

6,158Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • Mini MSE is on half term next week, so I'm excited to be taking the week off to be daddy. As normal I'm signing of? https://t.co/G3366shWh1

• I once blurted out on @gmb "Theresa May hasn't been given a poisoned chalice - she's been given a poisoned chalice? https://t.co/onfRbY3XVg

• It'd be fascinating to know how history will judge Theresa May's premiership. Currently, it is hard to see it as a? https://t.co/eH77G0O9LA

• Follow Martin