Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • zippychick
    • By zippychick 4th Jun 11, 11:19 AM
    • 9,343Posts
    • 17,889Thanks
    zippychick
    • 4th Jun 11, 11:19 AM
    4th Jun 11 at 11:19 AM
    Hi everyone,

Welcome to the eleventh Grocery Challenge of 2011,

If your new month starts early feel free to join this thread, or if you're still working on your September budget, then keep on posting in theOctober 2011 Grocery Challenge

As always this challenge is to reduce your own grocery budget to levels that you will be pleased with, not forgetting that we always recommend that you stay inside your own comfort levels and take things gently one step at a time. Remember that this is not a competition....it's designed to take you and your grocery spending to a level you are happy with.

If you are new to the challenge I have quoted the advice from Galtizz below which will help you get started.

Please post into this thread for help and advice and support at any time. Good luck to everyone taking part!

I have said this before, but for all the newbies to the challenge;

For the first month I took a guess at the budget but I really had no idea how much I was spending.

I found the best thing is to have a guess the first month but SAVE ALL OF YOUR RECEIPTS (and yes, that does include the ones from the local shop when you run out of milk ), then at the end of the month add them all up and have a look if you were on budget, if not, it doesn't matter because your budget was a guess. For the next month you can use the total of your receipts and take a bit off to get a realistic budget, just shave off as much as you think you can, it could be 1 a week or 20 a week.

If you are currently spending 200 a month don't suddenly drop it to 100 - you'll never do it but if you cut 20 a month off for a few months you'll get there eventually without feeling you're missing out on anything.

You might think you've done everything you can in the first month but someone always comes up with a new idea and, if you try it you often find you save a bit more (unless you are SarahSaver who is an expert at this and could only save more if she turned her back garden into a paddy field and lived on rice ) In the first month I thought, I'm planning meals, I couldn't possibly save any more, but then I started double cooking and freezing, and making soup instead of buying it in tins.

I've been doing this since Feb but only saved ALL of my receipts last month, it has given me a much better idea of where it is all going. Budget for next month is 80 for 2 of us, I'll start on 30/4. I could probably save more, by eating different foods but I can afford to live on 80, I have saved a lot of money since Feb. and I don't waste food or money any more. So I'm happy with my budget.
    For quidelines on posting in this thread please read the second post in this thread.

For the Grocery challenge Recipe Index please see posts #3, #4, #5 and #6 on this thread.

For everyones totals, see post #7 on this thread

I hope everyone has a great month!

Zip
    Last edited by squeaky; 26-10-2011 at 5:52 PM.
    A little nonsense now and then is relished by the wisest men
    Norn Iron club member #380

Page 34
    • tigerfeet2006
    • By tigerfeet2006 14th Nov 11, 11:52 AM
    • 13,826 Posts
    • 29,891 Thanks
    tigerfeet2006
    I haven't spent anything all week and I am really chuffed with myself .

I've just done a MrT online shop for this weeks meals and it came to 32.19 with delivery. I have a 5 off voucher so rhe grand total is 27.19 for the week. I am really chuffed with that . Though I have a bad feeling I may have forgotten something.

Off to update my sig.
    BSCno.87
    The only stupid question is an unasked one
    Loving life as a Kernow Hippy
    • freakyogre
    • By freakyogre 14th Nov 11, 12:09 PM
    • 1,454 Posts
    • 9,410 Thanks
    freakyogre
    1.09 on a loaf of bread.
    Grocery challenge - Nov: 52/100
    • tigerfeet2006
    • By tigerfeet2006 14th Nov 11, 12:42 PM
    • 13,826 Posts
    • 29,891 Thanks
    tigerfeet2006
    Having brain failure and can't remember how much I spent last week, think it was around 120, can't find my post or my reciept which is a pain.

Just remembered what I forgot milk and GF cereal, so am off to add those.
    BSCno.87
    • recovering spendaholic
    • By recovering spendaholic 14th Nov 11, 12:47 PM
    • 3,049 Posts
    • 15,426 Thanks
    recovering spendaholic
    compbunny - so sorry about your Grandad.

DD2 is getting confirmed at the end of the month (catholic) - however I am not expecting to spend ANYTHING on it!! Am I being a real meanie, but I had just thought we would go to the church and that was that - I didn't rank it along with communion celebrations!

Spent 25 this morning in Farmfoods and Aldi - bought bacon in Farmfoods for the first time today so will be interesting to see if it is nice.

Got lots of veg in Aldi, including the biggest red cabbage I have EVER seen in my life for 49p!! I am going to have a go at pickling it later this afternoon as I also got two large jars of pickling vinegar reduced in Aldi too.

Dinner tonight is something easy, as everyone is in at different times - will just do a pasta bake and keep it warm. I have just had leftover cauliflower cheese for lunch which was lovely!

Have had the heating on today for the first time - mainly to try and get some of the washing dry as there is mountains!
    Jane

ENDIS. Employed, no disposable income or savings!
    • tigerfeet2006
    • By tigerfeet2006 14th Nov 11, 12:59 PM
    • 13,826 Posts
    • 29,891 Thanks
    tigerfeet2006
    Final bill for online order is 35. So I am looking at around 150 so far this month.

Need to go and look at Approved Foods as well some time today.

I have also phoned Costco and they have said as DH is a teacher then we can use them. We have to take a payslip and a utility bill dated to within 3 months of application, go to the warehouse, sign up, pay 30 membership and Roberts your mothers brother! For those that have Costco accounts are they worth it?
    BSCno.87
  • JayJay14
    QUOTE=tigerfeet2006;48504635]

I have also phoned Costco and they have said as DH is a teacher then we can use them. We have to take a payslip and a utility bill dated to within 3 months of application, go to the warehouse, sign up, pay 30 membership and Roberts your mothers brother! For those that have Costco accounts are they worth it?[/QUOTE]

Tigerfeet - go to customer services before you pay your membership and ask if you can have a walk round before you decide. They won't have a problem and you can have a good look at what they sell.
    • tigerfeet2006
    • By tigerfeet2006 14th Nov 11, 1:17 PM
    • 13,826 Posts
    • 29,891 Thanks
    tigerfeet2006
    Thanks for the advice JayJay, much appreciated.
    BSCno.87
    • his missus
    • By his missus 14th Nov 11, 1:30 PM
    • 3,221 Posts
    • 19,762 Thanks
    his missus
    ARRRRRGHHHH! I was half way though putting ingredients in the BM yesterday afternoon when I ran out of bread flour. How? I have no idea, was sure there was another bag in the cupboard. Because the local shop doesn't stock it DH had to drive us to Mr A's and I just knew there was no way I was coming out of there with just flour (pipersky - I know where you're coming from ) We ended up buying some choc fingers as they were on offer (50p because they had halloween pics on the box) yoghurts, a box of choc biscuits to take as we were going to visit a friend) toastie bread (DH loves it) and milk. Ok so we needed milk too but...that's another 12 on groceries this month

• boultdj
    • By boultdj 14th Nov 11, 1:56 PM
    • 4,505 Posts
    • 33,130 Thanks
    boultdj
    Another 11.45 to add.
  • rachelww1
    A few more spends since my last update, including a biggie. 5.70 spent on lunches at work last week when I forgot to bring things in . 61.25 spent on Fri night at Mr T. Then yesterday we went to a market about 30 miles from us. We try to go twice a year to stock up on meat from the butchers there. Took out 100 to spend and spent 103. For this we got:

3 large fr chickens 10
    2 bonless rolled joints of lamb 13
    3lbs ribeye steaks (9 in total) 20
    a carrier bag full (20lbs) of bonless pork loin chops 20
    a carrier bag full of huge lamb chops 20
    a carrier bag full of braising steak 20

All this is now portioned up and in the freezer. It should last us until March or April. The freezer was looking quite sparce, so needed to be done.

Total spends to date are 328.29/400. Will still need fruit, veg, bread, milk, dog & cat food for the rest of the month. Going to be tight, but I'll try.
    LBM Dec 10. Total unsecured debt 41176 Nov 12 Debt Free Thanks Mum x RIP x

2013 Savings 250
    2013 OP 3500
    • mrs-moneypenny
    • By mrs-moneypenny 14th Nov 11, 2:22 PM
    • 15,518 Posts
    • 198,189 Thanks
    mrs-moneypenny
    just realised i havent done my budget for november

can i go down for 400 for november if im not too late please

i made my christmas cake yesterday
    and cupboards are now pretty full so the rest of the month shouldnt be too bad
    SPC~12 ot 124

In a world that has decided that it's going to lose its mind, be more kind my friend, try to Be More Kind
    • meg72
    • By meg72 14th Nov 11, 2:55 PM
    • 5,082 Posts
    • 46,072 Thanks
    meg72
    Thankyou to those who sent your best wishes to my Grandfather.

Sadly, he passed away on Friday evening. I was priviliged enough to be holding his hand as he slipped away. He was more like a father to me than a Grandfather in my adult years, I miss him terribly already. He was a gentle man who was devoted to his wife and family, served his country and his faith.

Adding 19 to total spend, most of it lazy comfort food
    Originally posted by CompBunny
    So sorry for your loss but pleased you had the comfort of holding his hand this will help you get through.I lost my Dad.Son and best friend
    in just one year
    and deeply regret I was not able to be there with them. Enjoy your comfort food, not lazy at all.
    Slimming World at target
    • meg72
    • By meg72 14th Nov 11, 3:38 PM
    • 5,082 Posts
    • 46,072 Thanks
    meg72
    Wanted to stock up on the Catheral City Cheese 2 in Asda and needed long life milk for my emergency stock,realised this would come to about 20,so thought i would go to the 40 to get 5 voucher looked at the tins of Cadburys Roses, thinking I would need a couple as thank you gifts for the nurses looking after my Mum, Then I thought at that price I might as well get some instead
    of Easter eggs, best before date 20.4.12.Easter Monday 9.4.12 so date OK,

Then realised for this to work you must have 8 different items, so put some roses back and bought Heros, Celebrations, quality street and Victoria biscuits. So far so good but still only 7 items.Ok
    had enough now poor old brain is aching, throw in a bottle of cheap wine and I am there.
    Total 44.When I have drunk the wine and had a few chocolates I will update signature. Love to all
    Slimming World at target
    • tigerfeet2006
    • By tigerfeet2006 14th Nov 11, 4:27 PM
    • 13,826 Posts
    • 29,891 Thanks
    tigerfeet2006
    Todays dinner is Rice and peas with mango chicken, all is quiet as they stuff their faces.

1 onion-chopped, 2 cloves of garlic-crushed, 200gm long grain rice, 400g kidney beans, 500ml veg stock, 200ml coconut milk, thyme, 200gm petit pois-frozen.

Fry onion for 5min. Add garlic and then stir in rice, cook for a min or two. Add kidney beans, stock and coconut milk and season well. Bring to boil and simmer for 25 min or untill rice cooks. Add thyme and peas for the last few mins, then fluff with a fork.

Jar of mango chutney, zest and juice of 2 limes, skinless chicken breasts.

Mix together chutney, lime juice and zest and season well. Heat griddle pan and add chicken breasts. Sear on one side and turn and spoon mango mix over, turn and spoon, turn and spoon until charred and cooked through.

Serve with the remaining chutney mix heated through.

Clean plates and wide smiles abound.
    BSCno.87
    • recovering spendaholic
    • By recovering spendaholic 14th Nov 11, 5:24 PM
    • 3,049 Posts
    • 15,426 Thanks
    recovering spendaholic
    Rachelww1- where is that market??? They are fantastic prices for meat - I wish I could get it that cheaply!

Spent the afternoon cooking! Got some reduced drumsticks in Aldi so made a barbecue marinade and put them in it ready for tea tonight, sliced up my GIANT red cabbage and have loads of it salting ready to pickle later, plus made some braised red cabbage (a la Delia) to freeze and also made some hm coleslaw with red and white cabbage, red onion, apples, walnuts, raisins and creme fraiche (to go with the barbecue chicken).

Tigerfeet - that chicken and rice sounds lovely!! I will definitely give it a try!

I tried the farmfoods bacon before when I made a bacon buttie for DD2 for after school and it was lovely! I was surprised at how no white gunge came out and how tasty it was, without being salty. It was really lean too. I will definitely buy it again!

DD2 has gone out so will have a snack when she comes in but DD1 and I will have the barbecue chicken and coleslaw. I bought some B1G2F Mr Kipling mince pies the other day so they can have them if they want afters or a snack later. I tried a mince pie (don't usually like them) and it was okay, but I wouldn't have another. I usually buy some at Christmas from the bakery near me but when I was in there the other day someone was getting some and they were 46p EACH I will have to make some but it's not a task I like as I hate making pastry.

Hope everyone is having a good day.
    Jane

ENDIS. Employed, no disposable income or savings!
    • angelatgraceland
    • By angelatgraceland 14th Nov 11, 5:55 PM
    • 3,318 Posts
    • 23,074 Thanks
    angelatgraceland
    compbunny - so sorry about your Grandad.

DD2 is getting confirmed at the end of the month (catholic) - however I am not expecting to spend ANYTHING on it!! Am I being a real meanie, but I had just thought we would go to the church and that was that - I didn't rank it along with communion celebrations!

Spent 25 this morning in Farmfoods and Aldi - bought bacon in Farmfoods for the first time today so will be interesting to see if it is nice.
    Originally posted by recovering spendaholic
    For the confirmation you could arrange an "American supper" where everyone brings a dish of something with them and some bring some drinks-that would be cheap!

Farmfoods bacon is excellent! I am certain you will agree
    Annual Grocery budget 2018 is 1500 pa 125 calendar month 28.84 pw for 3 adults
  • Long tall sally
    i spent another 10 today in Mr A which I don't go to too often. Wish I had known though that Cathedral City was only 2 as it is my favourite cheese but maybe it will still be that price when I have to return to that shopping centre sometime this week to return the item of clothing that I bought today that is too small for my DD.
    Grocery aim 450pm.Spent 519 August, 584 July, 544 June, 541 May, 549 April, 517 March, 517 Feb,555 Jan, 573 Dec, 465Nov, 561Oct, 493Sept, 426Aug,496 Jul, 528Jun, 506May,498April, 558 March, 500Feb, 500 Jan, 490 Dec, 555 Nov,566 Oct, 505Sept, 450Aug, 410 July, 437 June, 491 May, 471 April, 440 March, 552Feb, 462Jan
    • Spiggle
    • By Spiggle 14th Nov 11, 6:12 PM
    • 1,751 Posts
    • 14,202 Thanks
    Spiggle
    Deepest condolences Compbunny. You were there and I'm sure he knew that while he slept and passed peacefully.

Thinking of you,
    Spigs
    Mortgage Free October 2013
  • supersally01
    Spent 5 on 3 for 1 pasta in mr T's, and cheese, garlic bread. Also spent 16 on another shop from mr T's. Using my freezer, HM spag Bol for tea.
    • quintwins
    • By quintwins 14th Nov 11, 7:37 PM
    • 5,058 Posts
    • 29,569 Thanks
    quintwins
    catherdral cheese is also bogof in tesco at the mo works out slightly dearer than asda (i don't even have an asda) but it usually has good dates, just incase anyones doesn't have an asda like me

my tesco order came i got 74 of food for 30.03 now to be fair i wouldn't have spent 16 on yogurts had they been full price nor would i have bought 3 blocks of cheese at over 4 (seriously does anyone pay these prices when there not of offer) but i am happy with what i did get, and mil bought us chippy tea i owe the school 4 aswell but i can't find my envelopes so it cane wait til next week
    OCT GC 196.12/200
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

718Posts Today

6,550Users online

Martin's Twitter