Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • zippychick
    • By zippychick 4th Jun 11, 11:19 AM
    • 9,343Posts
    • 17,889Thanks
    zippychick
    • 4th Jun 11, 11:19 AM
    4th Jun 11 at 11:19 AM
    Hi everyone,

Welcome to the eleventh Grocery Challenge of 2011,

If your new month starts early feel free to join this thread, or if you're still working on your September budget, then keep on posting in theOctober 2011 Grocery Challenge

As always this challenge is to reduce your own grocery budget to levels that you will be pleased with, not forgetting that we always recommend that you stay inside your own comfort levels and take things gently one step at a time. Remember that this is not a competition....it's designed to take you and your grocery spending to a level you are happy with.

If you are new to the challenge I have quoted the advice from Galtizz below which will help you get started.

Please post into this thread for help and advice and support at any time. Good luck to everyone taking part!

I have said this before, but for all the newbies to the challenge;

For the first month I took a guess at the budget but I really had no idea how much I was spending.

I found the best thing is to have a guess the first month but SAVE ALL OF YOUR RECEIPTS (and yes, that does include the ones from the local shop when you run out of milk ), then at the end of the month add them all up and have a look if you were on budget, if not, it doesn't matter because your budget was a guess. For the next month you can use the total of your receipts and take a bit off to get a realistic budget, just shave off as much as you think you can, it could be 1 a week or 20 a week.

If you are currently spending 200 a month don't suddenly drop it to 100 - you'll never do it but if you cut 20 a month off for a few months you'll get there eventually without feeling you're missing out on anything.

You might think you've done everything you can in the first month but someone always comes up with a new idea and, if you try it you often find you save a bit more (unless you are SarahSaver who is an expert at this and could only save more if she turned her back garden into a paddy field and lived on rice ) In the first month I thought, I'm planning meals, I couldn't possibly save any more, but then I started double cooking and freezing, and making soup instead of buying it in tins.

I've been doing this since Feb but only saved ALL of my receipts last month, it has given me a much better idea of where it is all going. Budget for next month is 80 for 2 of us, I'll start on 30/4. I could probably save more, by eating different foods but I can afford to live on 80, I have saved a lot of money since Feb. and I don't waste food or money any more. So I'm happy with my budget.
    For quidelines on posting in this thread please read the second post in this thread.

For the Grocery challenge Recipe Index please see posts #3, #4, #5 and #6 on this thread.

For everyones totals, see post #7 on this thread

I hope everyone has a great month!

Zip
    Last edited by squeaky; 26-10-2011 at 5:52 PM.
    A little nonsense now and then is relished by the wisest men
    Norn Iron club member #380

Page 30
    • tessie bear
    • By tessie bear 11th Nov 11, 8:35 AM
    • 4,320 Posts
    • 29,747 Thanks
    tessie bear
    hi....i have a birthday cake to make today so will need to put my creative hat on and think up something pretty....got spag bol cooked in the sc yesterday for tea....what to do for pudding ?? decisions decisions

off shopping in a bit...mr t and lidl as i want to have a loook at the latters christmas bits...a bit different i think so might get something nice like the very lovely turkish deligt covered in chocolate

also need to decide on a budget and get some cash out for next week

tata tess
    onwards and upwards
    • gailey
    • By gailey 11th Nov 11, 8:44 AM
    • 2,303 Posts
    • 17,249 Thanks
    gailey
    Can I join november please.

so far spent 55 farmfooods
    55 sainsburys.

total 110

also last 2days spent 2.20 tesco express on coffee

had 5.50 clubcard vouchers sp spent 15 tesco metro yesterday.

plan to spend 6 in co-op today as thats all we have until payday tuesday.

find it really thourght provoking going round store with cash.
    really makes you think do i want or need this?
    is it better value?

I try to ensure I get the most for my buck
    buy a lot of value stuff but because ots a metro poor range and hard to find.
    The reductions are really stingy.

Its got to point with us that we couldent exclusivly do all our shopping in tesco its too pricey there was time we did that.

Now we do poundshops
    farmfoods is a lifesaver but am bit fed up of frozen food but it is cheap.
    co-op do best reductions but everything else in there extortionate!
    pad by xmas2010 14,636.65/20,000:
    Pay off as much as I can 2011 15008.02/15,000

new grocery challenge 200/250 feb

KEEP CALM AND CARRY ON,Onwards and upward2013
    • quintwins
    • By quintwins 11th Nov 11, 8:57 AM
    • 5,003 Posts
    • 29,347 Thanks
    quintwins
    morning all i'm off shopping for a few bits today, i'm going to stock up on lots of 3 for 2 jams and rasins we use the value ranges which ofcorse are rarely on offer so it will help abit stocking up, how dear has value honey got

foods abit thin on the ground this morning (well breakfasty type things) we have no fruit or bread and very little milk, so i'm going to make egg and bacon sandwich filler and have a part baked roll in the oven lunch is the rest of teh soup i made yesterday and dinner is gonna be fishfingers chips and beans for a nice quick tea
    Last edited by quintwins; 11-11-2011 at 9:01 AM.
    DFW 7632/28996 26.3%
    • his missus
    • By his missus 11th Nov 11, 9:31 AM
    • 3,221 Posts
    • 19,762 Thanks
    his missus
    Morning all!

Well, did my sums last night and we have already spent a whopping 265 in 11 days!!!!!! Overbudget already

Fingers crossed we don't need to do much more food shopping this month. We did think 60 a week would be difficult for us so maybe I need to be a bit more realistic next month

• recovering spendaholic
    • By recovering spendaholic 11th Nov 11, 9:33 AM
    • 3,049 Posts
    • 15,426 Thanks
    recovering spendaholic
    Morning all - Have just spent the last hour trying to unblock the toilet - damn Andrex Puppies on a roll!!

Breakfast was bacon and sausage sandwich (yum), packed lunches for kids and soup for me, dinner will be beef stew with new potatoes and cabbage. We have loads of yoghurts and ice cream for afters so shouldn't have to buy anything today.

I got Aldi whole milk yesterday - I haven't had whole milk for ages and had forgotten how lovely it is!!!
    Jane

ENDIS. Employed, no disposable income or savings!
    • sistercas
    • By sistercas 11th Nov 11, 9:52 AM
    • 4,841 Posts
    • 58,661 Thanks
    sistercas
    [QUOTE=recovering spendaholic;48426009
    I got Aldi whole milk yesterday - I haven't had whole milk for ages and had forgotten how lovely it is!!![/QUOTE]

i tend to buy whole milk i read somewhere that calcium needs fat to be absorbed, so the the body isnt able to absorb the calcium from skimmed milk ... plus i prefer it

spent alot in mr T's the other day as i just didnt have time to do my normal shop in 4 different places - its amazing what a difference it makes picking the best bits from different supermarkets
    • nmlc
    • By nmlc 11th Nov 11, 11:28 AM
    • 3,422 Posts
    • 47,906 Thanks
    nmlc
    Afternoon all

Just an update on the spends, did my food shopping this morning at MrA spent 85.39 and MrT - 2.28 so total was 87.67 really pleased with this. Had some very good luck in MrA had 2 of the 5.00 vouchers and cashier said as I'd spent so much they were happy to take both 5.00 vouchers, and then my asda price guarantee vouchers which we for 2.82 and 0.79 respectively so finished up with over 13.00 knocked off my shopping bill - result!

Having said that it wasn't a massive shop so it just proves how much food is going up on a weekly basis though!

Will amend my sig in a minute, storecupboard reasonably well stocked, freezer less so, but am trying to empty it so I can defrost it and have space for the xmas food.

Have a great weekend everyone, stay safe and well xxx

nmlc
    WEIGHTLOSS SINCE JUNE 2009 - 5 ST 2LB
    • gailey
    • By gailey 11th Nov 11, 11:58 AM
    • 2,303 Posts
    • 17,249 Thanks
    gailey
    Definatly noticed huge rise in value prices this year.
    sometimes its cheaper top buy stuff on offer than value.

it is best to shop around but lot of people say they dont have the time.

our storecupboards are dire and need restocking.

so plan is restock storecupboards
    not buy much meat
    ensure freezer well stocked.
    pad by xmas2010 14,636.65/20,000:
    Pay off as much as I can 2011 15008.02/15,000

new grocery challenge 200/250 feb

KEEP CALM AND CARRY ON,Onwards and upward2013
    • boultdj
    • By boultdj 11th Nov 11, 12:50 PM
    • 4,504 Posts
    • 33,115 Thanks
    boultdj
    A small 5.76 to add.
    • bestill
    • By bestill 11th Nov 11, 1:11 PM
    • 57 Posts
    • 996 Thanks
    bestill
    spent 23.58 at sainsburys on bits for weekend, managed to get conditioner reduced to 10p for dd1. Not much fruit left in the house but holding out till Mon to go to Aldi.

Total spend so far 152.08/320 so quite pleased overall. Need to keep it up now.
  • Nimeth
    Afternoon all!

Done most of this week's shop, just A!di this week and then need to pop into the farm shop to top up some fruit & veg at some point. Spend in A!di was 16.86, so I've got around a tenner leftover for the farm shop.

Spent the rest of the morning using up the rather overripe bananas, I was bored with banana bread so made some banana & oat cookies:

8oz porridge oats
    2 ripe bananas and brown sugar - made up to 8 oz total
    1 tsp baking powder
    1/4 tsp salt
    4oz marg (or 2oz butter + 2oz oil, or 3 of butter and 1 of oil)
    1 beaten egg
    (optional - 1 oz dark chocolate chips, nuts or raisins)

Mix dried ingredients together. The bananas form PART of the 8oz of sugar, they aren't in addition to it! So you place the 2 bananas on the scales and then make up the weight to 8oz with brown sugar.

Melt marg/butter/oil in a saucepan and add to dry mix. Blend thoroughly. Add the beaten egg. Also add any choc chip, nuts or raisins.

Use a teaspoon to drop walnut size blobs onto a greased baking tray (I use greased greaseproof paper as well), allowing space for cookies to run. Bake in middle of moderate oven (Gas 5) for 20-30 minutes until golden brown.

Makes around 30 cookies

I just mooched one, I find them quite nice with the nuts. Next time I may try them with chocolate chips.
    Dec GC; 208.79/220
    Save a life - Give Blood
    • recovering spendaholic
    • By recovering spendaholic 11th Nov 11, 3:19 PM
    • 3,049 Posts
    • 15,426 Thanks
    recovering spendaholic
    Spent all day working on a project for work so have only just got the casserole in the oven for the tea!

DD2 has come home and asked if she can have friends for a pizza party tomorrow evening and I've said yes. I have loads of pizza base mix so will use that, but need to go and get some mozarella and Nutella for the dessert pizza - the dessert pizza was on Cake boss the other night and looked yummy - it was a pizza base made up and then brushed with butter and sprinkled with lots of sugar and baked. When it was cooked he put loads of nutella on the top with sliced bananas, strawberries and chocolate sauce - DD2 has been going on about it ever since and I must admit it looked lovely!!

So a trip to Tescos tonight is in order - I will go about 9pm as that is when they have the best bargains!!
    Jane

ENDIS. Employed, no disposable income or savings!
    • quintwins
    • By quintwins 11th Nov 11, 4:30 PM
    • 5,003 Posts
    • 29,347 Thanks
    quintwins
    got lots on tesco including b1g2f crisps (forgot to get cheese need to grab that before tue) muller corners and some of those yummy amore yogurts, 9 jars of jam, 3 jars of honey, 3 jars of peanut butter and 9 bags of rasins so well stocked spent around 18 i need to add up my receits

hubby wants chippy for tea and isn't impressed i don;t so chippy tea it is
    DFW 7632/28996 26.3%
    • allym464
    • By allym464 11th Nov 11, 4:40 PM
    • 94 Posts
    • 628 Thanks
    allym464
    Hi All - I just spent 31.73 but that is almost about two weeks worth of meals - so I am quite pleased with myself if I may so I just made some home made mushroom soup which made four meals and with what I had to buy and what was already in the cupboard that equates to....52p! hahaha this shop did include 5 worth of chicken which can be used later in the month and some coffee which is a must have (just see me in the morning before I have had my cup of coffee! even the cats know not to hassle for breakfast until then!)
    Debt free by xmas 2013 #111 Credit card debt 5000 paid off!| Santander loan: 3000 paid off!. SPC#5 1374 saved 75.47!. SPC#6 TBA!
  • WelshWoofer
    Just done my meal plan and shopping list for tomorrow - its only a few days to pay day so I need to be extra careful this week. I have 8.50 in CC vouchers so will use them to keep the cost down as much as possible.
    Will post tomorrow with the overall damage.....
    January grocery spending - 82.73/ 120
  • rosieben
    Nimeth, I've added your banana & oat cookies to the front page index
    ... don't throw the string away. You always need string!

C.R.A.P.R.O.L.L.Z Head Sharpener
    • Need2bthrifty
    • By Need2bthrifty 11th Nov 11, 5:34 PM
    • 1,139 Posts
    • 9,695 Thanks
    Need2bthrifty
    Corned beef freezes really well.I love cold cornbeef with chips and
    sp pickled beetroot. I can get 5 meals from a big tin so slice and freeze in bags.
    Originally posted by meg72
    Thanks meg72, I will remember that for next time. The last third of the tin will be either Corned beef hash or Stovies tomorrow - I'm going through a comfort/nursery eating phase at the moment, must be the cold weather.

Oh yes, corned beef, chips and pickled beetroot, love it - havent had that for ages, thanks for the reminder.
    Grocery Challenge Annual Budget = 1000/808.07 left at end of Mar
    Jan - 56.26, Feb - 65.84, Mar - 69.83
    Apr - 14.76/70.00
    • jpscloud
    • By jpscloud 11th Nov 11, 5:36 PM
    • 1,446 Posts
    • 11,552 Thanks
    jpscloud
    I seem to be doing better with the budget this month - I have really good stocks in now, and the challenge really is to use stuff that I have rather than keep buying different things. I think sometimes I just love to shop for food, and it's become a habit that is very hard to break. I must also learn to meal plan, that's something I find really hard to stick to, for some reason.
    I believe in the freedom of spinach and the right to arm bears.

Weight loss journey started January 2015
    -32lbs
    • Need2bthrifty
    • By Need2bthrifty 11th Nov 11, 5:53 PM
    • 1,139 Posts
    • 9,695 Thanks
    Need2bthrifty
    It must be Christmas. In the post this morning I had a 25 premium bond cheque, several 5 off 40 Tesco vouchers, and out of nowhere 4 off 20 shops (4 of them) from Sains's. Wow! Don't they know that I spread myself around these days - Aldi, Lidl, Asda, Tesco and occasionally if I am out and about, Sains's? Things are getting seriously competitive out there. There were also 12.50 of Tesco vouchers, so that's even less I will be actually spending.
    Originally posted by Living proof
    Like you Sainsbugs have targeted me through the Nectar card thingy, but they must have noticed my reduction in spending in their stores, now that I have the time to go to @ldi and L!dl, as the savings are now against a 50 shop as opposed to the 70/80 shop that they used to offer - Sainsbugs GET REAL what single person spends that amount each week in the supermarket. But at least I may take advantage of the offer for two of the four weeks with Christmas coming up
    Grocery Challenge Annual Budget = 1000/808.07 left at end of Mar
    Jan - 56.26, Feb - 65.84, Mar - 69.83
    Apr - 14.76/70.00
  • welshlovebiscuit
    Not doing too bad this month - should come in on budget (just)...but that's because I'm SO busy in work i haven't had time to stop off anywhere and spend money!
    Mortgage starting balance - 151,030 143,733.28 137,000 (25 years to go...)
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

46Posts Today

3,599Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • It's the weekend, it's the weekend, yay. It's that moment, when as usual, to sign off for family time. So I bid y? https://t.co/2RYRnz3fEe

• Actually the BBC was set up to "educate, entertain and inform" so I think it is one of its responsibilities and cle? https://t.co/HMP4Q2Uptu

• Today's FRI twitter poll: Puritanical new laws by Tories/Labour/EU/Trump/Putin (pick ur own scapegoat) dictate mode? https://t.co/3LW55tFGJ9

• Follow Martin