Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • zippychick
    • By zippychick 4th Jun 11, 11:19 AM
    • 9,343Posts
    • 17,889Thanks
    zippychick
    • 4th Jun 11, 11:19 AM
    4th Jun 11 at 11:19 AM
    Hi everyone,

Welcome to the eleventh Grocery Challenge of 2011,

If your new month starts early feel free to join this thread, or if you're still working on your September budget, then keep on posting in theOctober 2011 Grocery Challenge

As always this challenge is to reduce your own grocery budget to levels that you will be pleased with, not forgetting that we always recommend that you stay inside your own comfort levels and take things gently one step at a time. Remember that this is not a competition....it's designed to take you and your grocery spending to a level you are happy with.

If you are new to the challenge I have quoted the advice from Galtizz below which will help you get started.

Please post into this thread for help and advice and support at any time. Good luck to everyone taking part!

I have said this before, but for all the newbies to the challenge;

For the first month I took a guess at the budget but I really had no idea how much I was spending.

I found the best thing is to have a guess the first month but SAVE ALL OF YOUR RECEIPTS (and yes, that does include the ones from the local shop when you run out of milk ), then at the end of the month add them all up and have a look if you were on budget, if not, it doesn't matter because your budget was a guess. For the next month you can use the total of your receipts and take a bit off to get a realistic budget, just shave off as much as you think you can, it could be 1 a week or 20 a week.

If you are currently spending 200 a month don't suddenly drop it to 100 - you'll never do it but if you cut 20 a month off for a few months you'll get there eventually without feeling you're missing out on anything.

You might think you've done everything you can in the first month but someone always comes up with a new idea and, if you try it you often find you save a bit more (unless you are SarahSaver who is an expert at this and could only save more if she turned her back garden into a paddy field and lived on rice ) In the first month I thought, I'm planning meals, I couldn't possibly save any more, but then I started double cooking and freezing, and making soup instead of buying it in tins.

I've been doing this since Feb but only saved ALL of my receipts last month, it has given me a much better idea of where it is all going. Budget for next month is 80 for 2 of us, I'll start on 30/4. I could probably save more, by eating different foods but I can afford to live on 80, I have saved a lot of money since Feb. and I don't waste food or money any more. So I'm happy with my budget.
    For quidelines on posting in this thread please read the second post in this thread.

For the Grocery challenge Recipe Index please see posts #3, #4, #5 and #6 on this thread.

For everyones totals, see post #7 on this thread

I hope everyone has a great month!

Zip
    Last edited by squeaky; 26-10-2011 at 5:52 PM.
    A little nonsense now and then is relished by the wisest men
    Norn Iron club member #380

Page 20
    • quintwins
    • By quintwins 4th Nov 11, 10:14 AM
    • 5,003 Posts
    • 29,347 Thanks
    quintwins
    tesco have there value dried fruit on 3 for 2 at the mo aswell i give the kids this in pots instead of boxes of rasins they love it theres loads of value stuff on 3 for 2 at the mo like jam,peanutbutter,flour ect so i'll be stocking up next week

i need milk so i might go tonight or tomorrow i'll see how things go i need to collect something from next anyway, dinner tonight is homemade burgers (using my burger press from amazon that i've yet to use) with mash and beans
    DFW 7632/28996 26.3%
    • JackieO
    • By JackieO 4th Nov 11, 10:16 AM
    • 16,733 Posts
    • 143,373 Thanks
    JackieO
    I was going to get the odds and ends I needed for this week tomorrow, but having seen the weather forecast I decided to get them today, so spent a grand total of 5.94 and nothing to buy now until next Monday or Tuesday hopefully.I am really going for it this month to see how little I can get away with spending by using up the stuff indoors as much as I can. lots of baking today and tomorrow I think
    Quot Libros,Quam Breve Tempus.
  • budget babe
    Reporting in

I have just totalled up my spends so far, in total they are: 218.98 out of a pledged 275.00, which leaves: 56.02 remaining.

This is for an online Ocado shop, an organic meat order, Asda and Home Bargains. Lunch from Morning Fresh and then Kfc last night.

I guess Budgie will have to be rigid now for the rest of the month. I hadn't realised just how much I have spent until totalling everything up today.

On the plus side I am stocked up and now need to meal plan, its a full time job this is you know.

So hope everyone else is doing ok too.

Hopefully it is a frugal Budgie for the rest of the month.

Take Care
    Budgie x
    Cherish the ones you love and travel back on the road that brings you home
    "What lies behind us and what lies before us are tiny matters compared to what lies within us" Ralph Waldo Emerson
  • CompBunny
    First spend of the month! 5.15 for two blocks of red leicester (3 per kilo at the tesco cheese counter, wow! Must buy some more to freeze!), biscuits, kidney beans, tomato sauce, bananas, sugar, scones, bread, jam and two reduced non-lettuce sandwiches to go in the freezer for packed lunches! Very pleased with that shop indeed!

And last night we had a leftovers meal (leftovers used to be thrown away!) of veggie spaghetti bolognaise mixed with the last bit of cream cheese and some kidney beans, extra peas and sweetcorn mixed in, all baked in the oven in some reduced wraps with a sprinkle of cheese on top OH was a little horrified at the thought of spaghetti in a wrap but it was actually gorgeous! Anything baked with a cheesey wrap is great in my books though..
    GC2012: Nov 130.52/125
    GC2011:Sept:215
    Oct:123.98Nov:120Dec:138Feb:94.72

Quit smoking 10am 17/02/11 - 4315 saved as of Nov'12

Engaged to my best friend 08/2012

• tigerfeet2006
    • By tigerfeet2006 4th Nov 11, 10:43 AM
    • 13,812 Posts
    • 29,889 Thanks
    tigerfeet2006
    Hi all I am going to try to get to this after being ill for quite a while.

I was going to go for 350 this month but my store cupboard is a bit replete as DH has being doing a lot of the cooking so I am going for 400 to beon the safe side and anything under is a bonus.

I have just done an online shop through MySupermarket and Sainsbugs has come up cheaper for us this time at 120, I also had a free delivery code so I am getting a Saturday delivery, how decadent .

I have to do online shops as I don't drive and all the supermarkets are out of town and Aldi and Lidl are the next town. Our butcher in town is so expensive and so is our independant F&V shop so I am not saving there.

Though I have been talking to a friend and we are both in the same boat trying to get our food budget down and she has suggested maybe she drives us to other town on payday so we can both go to Aldi, Lidl and Asda to do a top up on what we couldn't get in the other 2. We will see how that goes.
    BSCno.87
    The only stupid question is an unasked one
    I now live in a country that is 4 hours ahead of the UK so you may now find I post at weird times
    [/COLOR][/CENTER]
  • Rachel021967
    Please can you put me down for 450.
  • mrs mum
    Spent 2.09 today on natural yoghurt and lemon curd (eating it now)
    Lovely

Sig updated

mrs M
    • meg72
    • By meg72 4th Nov 11, 11:57 AM
    • 5,082 Posts
    • 46,072 Thanks
    meg72
    Mr Ts today and found some 4p slippers for OH, some Lounge pants for 4p and 1p toystory bag. Got scampi B1G2F 3.99 Tesco finest sausages 3 packs for 6 so 6 meals for the month for 10ish. B1G2F crisps, milk, couple of deserts, broccoli with a free cauliflower, whoopsie mushrooms for chicken (leftover), pie tomorrow, popped into wilkies and picked up bits for halloween next year at 75% off, Marks and spencer for this weeks special offer two xmas puds 1/2 price 3 each one for me one for Sis. So not a bad day but cant spend much more this week so am going to try to live out of the fridge and freezer now till next week UNLESS any unresistable bargains pop up !!!
    Originally posted by cattysmum
    Wow,thats what I would call a really good frugal oogle day,well done
    Slimming World at target
    • tigerfeet2006
    • By tigerfeet2006 4th Nov 11, 12:20 PM
    • 13,812 Posts
    • 29,889 Thanks
    tigerfeet2006
    And can I change my amounts posted earlier, don't know where my brain is, my only excuse is this is my first week out of bed.

I am aiming for 450 with the aim to eventually get it down to 400.
    BSCno.87
    The only stupid question is an unasked one
    I now live in a country that is 4 hours ahead of the UK so you may now find I post at weird times
    [/COLOR][/CENTER]
  • mrs mum
    ... So now I have a whole sausage casserole to try and do something with. Will it keep in the fridge for tomorrow as the sausages I used were frozen and defrosted? Yes you can freeze food once you have changed it's status from un cooked to cooked. Just make sure you defrost it and cook it thoroughly before eating, something like sausage casserole you should be able to bring up to the boil to give it a thorough heating (add a bit of extra liquid if necessary

Yes, you can freeze cooked yourkshires. I usually make a batch of 24 and then freeze half of them when cooked - Once they've cooled down I just put them loosely in a box e.g. an old tea bag box and shove them in the freezer . You can get out as many or few as you need, just defrost them and put them in the microwave for a few seconds until they're hot (not too many seconds)

!
    Originally posted by recovering spendaholic
    This brings me onto a lovely quick party nibble

Get a 12 pattie yorkshire pudding tin, add a cooked cocktail sausage (for this I use fresh cooked sausages not the frozen ones), pour batter over and cook as usual. Once cooled down freeze as above. When you have a party you already have mini toads in hole finger food to feed guests.
    This time reheat in the oven so there is no risk of overcooking and having them collapse.
    These always go down well.

I also serve them on christmas day with turkey, it's my way of getting Yorkshire puds into the meal
    Last edited by mrs mum; 04-11-2011 at 11:57 PM. Reason: spelling.typos
  • rosieben
    mrs mum, I've added your mini toads in hole idea to the recipe index

If I hadn't already prepared and frozen the pigs in blankets I would have tried this for my christmas dinner, might be tempted anyway
    ... don't throw the string away. You always need string!

C.R.A.P.R.O.L.L.Z Head Sharpener
  • Sausages_
    Almost managed a NSD today, but had to go up to the shop to met a managers lunch, and accidentally picked up a chocolate bar

Oh well, 60p spend today... and 12.32 on essentials (and croissants) last night.

Think i am still under budget....
    Nov GC - 200
  • Sausages_
    Where do the 4p cloths / shoes come from? i have not seen any in my local store ....
    Nov GC - 200
    • bestill
    • By bestill 4th Nov 11, 3:33 PM
    • 57 Posts
    • 996 Thanks
    bestill
    Spent 1 on coffee at dd2 gym lesson (my weekly treat) + 15.99 on bits for dd1 birthday. Total spend now 93.62, a bit higher than I'd like ( I blame the birthday - wish me luck with the sleepover tonight!). Fortunately I don't need very much for next week & Mr T spat me out a 6 off 40 voucher so that shpuld help.
  • ebayqueen
    HI Zippy

Thought i had added my name...could you put me down for 350 instead of my normal 400.

Will give it a go anyway

Boy this thread is moving fast. Will catch up this evening on all posts.

Best wishes to everyone for November

E
    "You are never too old to set another goal or to dream a new dream" C. S. Lewis
  • ebayqueen
    Spent 1 on coffee at dd2 gym lesson (my weekly treat) + 15.99 on bits for dd1 birthday. Total spend now 93.62, a bit higher than I'd like ( I blame the birthday - wish me luck with the sleepover tonight!). Fortunately I don't need very much for next week & Mr T spat me out a 6 off 40 voucher so that shpuld help.
    Originally posted by bestill
    Well done on the voucher. I never seemed to get ones like that. I normally get ones for products I never use....don't understand it
    "You are never too old to set another goal or to dream a new dream" C. S. Lewis
    • Flat Eric
    • By Flat Eric 4th Nov 11, 5:00 PM
    • 3,985 Posts
    • 24,039 Thanks
    Flat Eric
    I avoided the post work visit to m&S this evening when I usually find myself shopping randomly and buying unnecessary items. Several pounds saved there

I don't fancy the steak I had proposed for tea so not sure what tea will be yet. On a Friday, I never feel like cooking. What does everyone else do ?

I have decided to keep track of food spends item by item this month rather than amount and shop only because hopefully by writing down each item, I will be more conscious of what is being spent and where and hopefully will think twice before putting something in my basket....

Happy Friday all

• blackandwhitebunny
    • By blackandwhitebunny 4th Nov 11, 5:41 PM
    • 489 Posts
    • 4,139 Thanks
    blackandwhitebunny
    I've been very good this week probably because I didn't come across any good bargains.
    2.20 for milk and 88p for some reduced 'toasters' from Mr S. I've never seen these before but they were really good, Cranberry and orange and sultana and honey (latter still in the freezer)
    So a good start but we always do our main shop on Saturday.
    I was off to conquer the world but I got distracted by something sparkly

• Cat501
    • By Cat501 4th Nov 11, 5:45 PM
    • 1,165 Posts
    • 7,107 Thanks
    Cat501
    5 today, was hoping for a NSD but it wasn't to be - milk, cold meat and Irn Bru from Farmfoods, and a little make up set I saw in the grocery section of the local One-O-One off licence - 2 lip glosses, 2 eyeshadows and a full sized bronzer all in a compact with a mirror too, all for a quid! Just couldn't resist, even if I never use it
    • cattysmum
    • By cattysmum 4th Nov 11, 5:51 PM
    • 1,256 Posts
    • 21,417 Thanks
    cattysmum
    A NSD day for me today, also made a bakewell tart as I had some pastry left after making chicken pie, don't know what it will be like as I have never made one before!! Will probably go to Morrisons tomorrow for a few bits for the weekend but hopefully will keep within a tenner Bye
    [B]SPC No. 295 - SPC No10 target 350
    #1603/
    SPC 2014 150/SPC 2015 256SPC 2016 324
    Saving for Florida 2018
    Matched betting toe dipper.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

3,139Posts Today

5,165Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • Oh if only one were brave/honest enough to say "my mental health" - in answer to the weakness question. I say this? https://t.co/RyihpzwPdY

• Been out with the little one, just got back and turned the #c4debate on. What have i missed? Who is winning?

• It's the weekend, it's the weekend, yay. It's that moment, when as usual, to sign off for family time. So I bid y? https://t.co/2RYRnz3fEe

• Follow Martin