Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • zippychick
    • By zippychick 4th Jun 11, 11:19 AM
    • 9,343Posts
    • 17,889Thanks
    zippychick
    • 4th Jun 11, 11:19 AM
    4th Jun 11 at 11:19 AM
    Hi everyone,

Welcome to the eleventh Grocery Challenge of 2011,

If your new month starts early feel free to join this thread, or if you're still working on your September budget, then keep on posting in theOctober 2011 Grocery Challenge

As always this challenge is to reduce your own grocery budget to levels that you will be pleased with, not forgetting that we always recommend that you stay inside your own comfort levels and take things gently one step at a time. Remember that this is not a competition....it's designed to take you and your grocery spending to a level you are happy with.

If you are new to the challenge I have quoted the advice from Galtizz below which will help you get started.

Please post into this thread for help and advice and support at any time. Good luck to everyone taking part!

I have said this before, but for all the newbies to the challenge;

For the first month I took a guess at the budget but I really had no idea how much I was spending.

I found the best thing is to have a guess the first month but SAVE ALL OF YOUR RECEIPTS (and yes, that does include the ones from the local shop when you run out of milk ), then at the end of the month add them all up and have a look if you were on budget, if not, it doesn't matter because your budget was a guess. For the next month you can use the total of your receipts and take a bit off to get a realistic budget, just shave off as much as you think you can, it could be £1 a week or £20 a week.

If you are currently spending £200 a month don't suddenly drop it to £100 - you'll never do it but if you cut £20 a month off for a few months you'll get there eventually without feeling you're missing out on anything.

You might think you've done everything you can in the first month but someone always comes up with a new idea and, if you try it you often find you save a bit more (unless you are SarahSaver who is an expert at this and could only save more if she turned her back garden into a paddy field and lived on rice ) In the first month I thought, I'm planning meals, I couldn't possibly save any more, but then I started double cooking and freezing, and making soup instead of buying it in tins.

I've been doing this since Feb but only saved ALL of my receipts last month, it has given me a much better idea of where it is all going. Budget for next month is £80 for 2 of us, I'll start on 30/4. I could probably save more, by eating different foods but I can afford to live on £80, I have saved a lot of money since Feb. and I don't waste food or money any more. So I'm happy with my budget.
    For quidelines on posting in this thread please read the second post in this thread.

For the Grocery challenge Recipe Index please see posts #3, #4, #5 and #6 on this thread.

For everyones totals, see post #7 on this thread

I hope everyone has a great month!

Zip
    Last edited by squeaky; 26-10-2011 at 5:52 PM.
    A little nonsense now and then is relished by the wisest men
    Norn Iron club member #380

Page 18
    • freakyogre
    • By freakyogre 3rd Nov 11, 1:08 PM
    • 1,454 Posts
    • 9,410 Thanks
    freakyogre
    £1.99 spent in Tesco on cider and creme fraiche for dinner tomorrow. I'll update my signature later as a bit tricky to do on my phone!
    Grocery challenge - Nov: £52/£100
    • JulieGeorgiana
    • By JulieGeorgiana 3rd Nov 11, 1:38 PM
    • 2,467 Posts
    • 12,987 Thanks
    JulieGeorgiana
    I keep going over, it may seem like very little... but it all adds up! and I hardly ever go over and normally make it up overall... not good

Totals so far:

Big Monthly Bulk Shop £100.31/£100

Week 1 £25.65/£25
    Week 2 £25.67/£25
    Week 3 £0/£25
    Week 4 £0/£25

Total £151.63/£200 (28th October - 24th November)

NB. Confirmation Budget £10.32/£10
    We spend money we don't have, on things that we don't need, to impress people we don't like. I don't and I'm happy!

Mortgage Free Wannabe
    Overpayments Made: £5400 - Interest Saved: £11,550 - Months Saved: 24
  • Sausages_
    I have done really well this week, spent £14 in Iceland, £10 in Morissons on essentials and £2 on bread and bits in co-op.

Really chuffed, although not through choice, as the last £20 in my purse had to go into petrol for both cars

Roll on payday.

I wish i knew why i was so bad with money
    Nov GC - £200
    • mandco
    • By mandco 3rd Nov 11, 1:57 PM
    • 757 Posts
    • 9,855 Thanks
    mandco
    off to a good start this month with a little help from mr t
    had to pick up something from the direct desk so picked up a few bits i was gonna wait till the weekend for and a pair of school shoes the bill was slightly higher than i'd expected and on checking the shoes had gone through at 4p and the b1g2f hadnt been applied so dtd meant i got the lot for free

another nsd today as avoiding the shops with the hope of managing at least 2 more nsd this week. aiming for 3 a week which is pretty optimisic as i only usually manage that a month but its all the small shops that are doing the most damage to the budget.its deceiving as when its only a few quid here and there you dont really think your spending much but when you add it all up it can be pretty shocking.

goodluck everyone
    this year do something that scares you for courage is not the absence of fear just the knowledge that some things are worth the risk
    • sistercas
    • By sistercas 3rd Nov 11, 2:17 PM
    • 4,842 Posts
    • 58,667 Thanks
    sistercas
    spiggle liking the 'nuclear core'

back from a!di and t3sco spent £36 and £51 respectively , think ive got everything for the week for everybody . picked up a whoopsied aromatic duck and pancakes for £1.75 - its something the teens love but i cant normally afford it , so they will really pleased with that tonight

need to meal plan ( i know i should have meal planned before i went shopping ) but this way i know i can plan more easily around the stuff i have bought IYSWIM
    • boultdj
    • By boultdj 3rd Nov 11, 2:27 PM
    • 4,505 Posts
    • 33,130 Thanks
    boultdj
    Another £20,24 to add, but £12 of that was on meat, and I'v got a meat 'n potatoe filling cooking as I type.
    • meanmarie
    • By meanmarie 3rd Nov 11, 2:38 PM
    • 5,135 Posts
    • 49,952 Thanks
    meanmarie
    Visit to Lidl this morning, so total now at €85.23, leaving me with €3.69 per day to end of month....better get a few NSDs in.

Marie
    Weight 08 February 86kg
    • greent
    • By greent 3rd Nov 11, 2:57 PM
    • 8,189 Posts
    • 83,195 Thanks
    greent
    Addional spend of £1.30 to declare, bringing ttd to £24.49 - Dh went to the chippy when I was out last night - at least he got a pie out of the freezer, rather than a chippy pie, I suppose!
    I am the master of my fate; I am the captain of my soul
    Repaid mtge early (orig 11/25) 01/09 £124616 01/10 £104927 01/11 £89873 01/12 £76317 01/13 £52546 01/14 £35356 01/15 £12133 07/15 £NIL
    BTL Mtge 12/16 £69786 12/18 £54829 2019 OPs (#18) £3757/£5K
    Net sales 2019 £513.64/£500
    • prepareathome
    • By prepareathome 3rd Nov 11, 3:30 PM
    • 1,822 Posts
    • 24,925 Thanks
    prepareathome
    Well yesterday was NSD but today wages day and as hubby didn't have any extra hours today we went shopping today instead of Saturday. Spent £18. in Cool Trader but was good just replaced what we had used in past week, then went to Poundland and spent £8 but they are things that will not to be replaced for a while, then popped into greengrocer and picked up a bag of onions - 5 massive onions £1. Then Argos where I bought a few items - the CD/MP3/USB player - £29.99 pleased with price as exact same one on Amazon £44.99 ( checked my old one and found its not working, had it years so not complaining)I am not including in GS but will include the batteries - some for the player as no size C - bought two packs (8) which they use in and checked my batteries and discovered have lots of AAA but only one AAA so bought two packs (16). Didn't bother going to Sainsburys for milk as we still have two 4pt cartons untouched in fridge so they will do us till Monday at least. So total spend for today £43, have updated my sig. So hoping no spending till next week now - when I go to Sainsburys I will replace the wet food my youngest dog has used since last week.
    C.R.A.P R.O.L.L.Z # 1 prepareathome - baker, premium prepper (hence member #1), topic keeper
    Sealed Pot Member1433:2011 £119.12/2012-? Save £12k in 2012 No 126
    Stopped Smoking Wed 25th Jan 2012
    • Cat501
    • By Cat501 3rd Nov 11, 3:35 PM
    • 1,165 Posts
    • 7,107 Thanks
    Cat501
    oops - £30.98 in Tesco today, lots of tinned tomatoes (it's becoming a bit of an compulsion), BOG2F hotdogs and beans, doughnuts, other bits and bobs and 3 chilled meals because too tired to cook for the kids. Oh well, back on track tomorrow
    • recovering spendaholic
    • By recovering spendaholic 3rd Nov 11, 4:28 PM
    • 3,049 Posts
    • 15,426 Thanks
    recovering spendaholic
    Made a sausage casserole for tonight's meal and made yorkshire puddings to serve it in (instead of potatoes) - so it was a bit like sausage and onion gravy in yorkshires. Had it ready and DD2 phoned to say she was having tea at her friend's house and DD1 went and got a subway and is now fast asleep on the couch after staying out all night with Univeristy friends.... So now I have a whole sausage casserole to try and do something with. Will it keep in the fridge for tomorrow as the sausages I used were frozen and defrosted? Also can I re-heat yorkshire puddings or will they go either like cardboard or all soggy?

Just went round to Mr T for spread and they had no B1G2F beans!! So I got my spread, an apple juice (for me), a loaf reduced to 29p and a box of Festive fancies (Mr Kipling) for £1.04 as I love them!! So £4 to add to my total. Hope they get more beans in as I like the Branston ones best, although the Coral ones from Aldi are nice too and are only 26p a tin. The Aldi tinned tomatoes are lovely too.

I cleared otu the salad box in the fridge before and found a punnet of tomatoes which I got for 10p which were all soft, but not mouldy so I made some tomato, red onion and chilli relish. Have put it in jars so don't know what it will be like yet - here is the recipe:

500g tomatoes
    1 medium red onion
    pinch of dried chilli flakes
    8fl oz balsamic vinegar (I used half balsamic and half light malt)
    4 tbs sugar
    clove of garlic
    salt and pepper (I used about a flat tsp of salt and same of pepper)

You just blitz the tomatoes (no need to skin or de-seed), onion and garlic in the food processor and then put in a pan with the sugar, chilli, salt and pepper and vinegar and bring to the boil. Once at boil, reduce heat and simmer for 2 hours before putting in sterilised jars. This made 2 jam sized jars for me. Smells amazing!
    Last edited by recovering spendaholic; 03-11-2011 at 4:32 PM.
    Jane

ENDIS. Employed, no disposable income or savings!
  • NoMoneyHoney
    Sorry I am late to the thread, but put me down for £150 please.

So far:

1/11 -NSD
    2/11 - £12.21

Today I haven't spent but I want something to drink with my food so I probably will.
    • Cat501
    • By Cat501 3rd Nov 11, 4:50 PM
    • 1,165 Posts
    • 7,107 Thanks
    Cat501

I cleared otu the salad box in the fridge before and found a punnet of tomatoes which I got for 10p which were all soft, but not mouldy so I made some tomato, red onion and chilli relish. Have put it in jars so don't know what it will be like yet - here is the recipe:

500g tomatoes
    1 medium red onion
    pinch of dried chilli flakes
    8fl oz balsamic vinegar (I used half balsamic and half light malt)
    4 tbs sugar
    clove of garlic
    salt and pepper (I used about a flat tsp of salt and same of pepper)

You just blitz the tomatoes (no need to skin or de-seed), onion and garlic in the food processor and then put in a pan with the sugar, chilli, salt and pepper and vinegar and bring to the boil. Once at boil, reduce heat and simmer for 2 hours before putting in sterilised jars. This made 2 jam sized jars for me. Smells amazing!
    Originally posted by recovering spendaholic
    Thanks for that RS, I'll definitely be giving that a try soon! Don't have a food processor but I'm hoping a good going over with a hand blender would do the job?
    • tessie bear
    • By tessie bear 3rd Nov 11, 5:44 PM
    • 4,361 Posts
    • 30,013 Thanks
    tessie bear
    hi as far as i am aware if food is frozen and u defrost it and cook it u can them refreeze it....so the sausage thing should be fine....im not sure about yorkshires...i have heard u can eat then like a pudding with golden syrup and cream...hth
    onwards and upwards
    • Flat Eric
    • By Flat Eric 3rd Nov 11, 5:48 PM
    • 3,991 Posts
    • 24,048 Thanks
    Flat Eric
    Another visit to Mr T today to stock up on more N*ture V*alley bars. Now have six months supply Won't get any more as BBD is sept next year and I'm sure there will be another half price promo before I run out of stocks.

I was really pleased because I picked up 3 packs of sirloin steak which were on offer at 7.99 per kg but further reduced as use by date is tomorrow. One will do for dinner tomorrow night and 2 have gone in the freezer. My three packs cost me £1.75, £1.79 and £1.69.

I don't think I will need a home delivery shop on Saturday and will see if I can make do. I'm tempted not to include the bars that I have stocked up on in my budget for this month but instead cost them as and when they get eaten. I have spent £42.84 on them (double that if not on half price ) - thats a lot out of my budget.....

Still meal planning Trying to use up what I have/make do. Can't make up mind what to set budget at for this month so will ponder this a bit more and be back to report soon.

• ms_night_ryder
    • By ms_night_ryder 3rd Nov 11, 6:15 PM
    • 3,001 Posts
    • 11,582 Thanks
    ms_night_ryder
    Another visit to Mr T today to stock up on more N*ture V*alley bars. Now have six months supply Won't get any more as BBD is sept next year and I'm sure there will be another half price promo before I run out of stocks.

I was really pleased because I picked up 3 packs of sirloin steak which were on offer at 7.99 per kg but further reduced as use by date is tomorrow. One will do for dinner tomorrow night and 2 have gone in the freezer. My three packs cost me £1.75, £1.79 and £1.69.

I don't think I will need a home delivery shop on Saturday and will see if I can make do. I'm tempted not to include the bars that I have stocked up on in my budget for this month but instead cost them as and when they get eaten. I have spent £42.84 on them (double that if not on half price ) - thats a lot out of my budget.....

Still meal planning Trying to use up what I have/make do. Can't make up mind what to set budget at for this month so will ponder this a bit more and be back to report soon.
    Originally posted by Flat Eric
    Your not by any chance mr x stitch that was on kirties programme the other day are you? sorry couldnt help notice your sig and put 2 and 2 together and made 200 lol?

Anyway another 11.31 spend in mr t's as i was doing my promo work, needed some breaded or buns, was determined to get it whoopsied which i did, along with some scones, then i saw there halloween goo balls and have to have them they are sooooo good! yum, having meatballs today, which have been in my slow cooker, just waiting for the cheese to defrost, then will make some spaghetti, yummy!
    Lose 28lb 3/28lb
    SPC Member 1522/2012-£264/ new pot 2013
    • cattysmum
    • By cattysmum 3rd Nov 11, 6:42 PM
    • 1,256 Posts
    • 21,417 Thanks
    cattysmum
    Mr Ts today and found some 4p slippers for OH, some Lounge pants for 4p and 1p toystory bag. Got scampi B1G2F 3.99 Tesco finest sausages 3 packs for £6 so 6 meals for the month for £10ish. B1G2F crisps, milk, couple of deserts, broccoli with a free cauliflower, whoopsie mushrooms for chicken (leftover), pie tomorrow, popped into wilkies and picked up bits for halloween next year at 75% off, Marks and spencer for this weeks special offer two xmas puds 1/2 price £3 each one for me one for Sis. So not a bad day but cant spend much more this week so am going to try to live out of the fridge and freezer now till next week UNLESS any unresistable bargains pop up !!!
    [B]SPC No. 295 - SPC No10 target £350
    #1603/
    SPC 2014 £150/SPC 2015 £256SPC 2016 £324
    Saving for Florida 2018
    Matched betting toe dipper.
    • Flat Eric
    • By Flat Eric 3rd Nov 11, 6:52 PM
    • 3,991 Posts
    • 24,048 Thanks
    Flat Eric
    Your not by any chance mr x stitch that was on kirties programme the other day are you? sorry couldnt help notice your sig and put 2 and 2 together and made 200 lol?

Anyway another 11.31 spend in mr t's as i was doing my promo work, needed some breaded or buns, was determined to get it whoopsied which i did, along with some scones, then i saw there halloween goo balls and have to have them they are sooooo good! yum, having meatballs today, which have been in my slow cooker, just waiting for the cheese to defrost, then will make some spaghetti, yummy!
    Originally posted by ms_night_ryder
    Hello no it wasn't me on kirstie's homemade home (or whatever its called?) Good show though isn't it I have only seen episode 1. (other stacked up to watch ) Do you think when she was baking all the cakes that it was solely her own work or do you think she had help??

Thinking now of going to online supermarket and doing virtual shop and working out meal budget from that. Back soon / much later ??!!

• nannygladys
    • By nannygladys 3rd Nov 11, 7:00 PM
    • 1,265 Posts
    • 13,717 Thanks
    nannygladys
    Well my new month starts tomorrow as I get paid. I havent done as well in the last 4 weeks and the previous but I will try harder this month, although Im going on a short self catering break in a couple of weeks with DD1 and DGD so I will try to be as careful as I can, at least we wont be eating out much.

RS I will definitely be tryin the chutney/relish its sounds so easy and I have a glut of toms that need eating up, just got to find some jars.
    Budgeting again, must try harder!!
    Sealed pot challenge no.31
    Frugal challenge 2019
    • Spiggle
    • By Spiggle 3rd Nov 11, 7:06 PM
    • 1,751 Posts
    • 14,202 Thanks
    Spiggle
    Okey dokey,

That was a good way to spend some money!

I ended up not doing very much around the house but got enthralled by the prepping for winter thread this morning. I still had to go and get the nuts sorted on the car and I did make a list for D*n*lm M*ll. I plumped for the black out linings for the curtains in the end as the thermal ones were much thinner and lighter so for £3 more I thought I'd get the thicker ones. I just hope the curtain rail will be able to take the strain and weight lol! Also got a higher tog quilt for my ks bed, a new mattress cover, some desperately needed drinking glasses, and a small halogen heater (only £9.99!!!) for emergencies should our ch decide to break down over Christmas (or anytime in winter) as it tends to do.

Then I went W*ck*s and got an insulated cover for my outside tap, insulation for a pipe that froze last year and some spare fuses. Topped it all off with a quick trip to L*dl for a windscreen cover to keep the ice off and picked up milk, butter and loo rolls. The last three are the only ones that go on my GC budget thankfully. Milk was a great buy at only a quid for 4 pints. Sig is updated.

I also spent time this morning doing a list to go to MrT but thankfully time ran out! I really do hate that particular store so was grateful for the clock for a change. Now I just have to work out the best way to get the things on my list without visiting a store. Hmm, I may just do an online now but stop once it hits £50 and then get the rest after work tomorrow. That way I think I'll get two 5p off petrol vouchers. Hmmm

My DD is on her way back from a trip this evening and I have to go and pick her up so I can't relax as usual. But hey, I spent a lot of the day reading threads what do I need to relax for, lol.

I may well be back later while I wait for my lovely girl - well lady now but always will be my girl.

Take care,
    Spigs
    Mortgage Free October 2013
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

648Posts Today

6,151Users online

Martin's Twitter