Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    NewStudent
    Solar Power Help Please
    • 29th Oct 11, 9:07 PM
    Solar Power Help Please 29th Oct 11 at 9:07 PM
    I'm thinking of having solar panels put up on my house in order to generate electricity for personal use and also to sell any extra to the grid. I've read up several articles but am none the wiser as to cost and how it works. I have not got a clue what a reasonable price would be. I'm in Birmingham in a 3 bedroomed average sized house. I think my roof is south facing. Can anyone suggest how I would go about it and what I should expect to pay/receive back. Also if there are any good companies in Birmingham. Thanks very much x
Page 1
    • wymondham
    • By wymondham 29th Oct 11, 9:11 PM
    • 5,430 Posts
    • 10,023 Thanks
    wymondham
    • 29th Oct 11, 9:11 PM
    • 29th Oct 11, 9:11 PM
    I was too thinking of this, but an announcement this coming Monday will probably half the amount you get back when selling back to the grid - in my case this will be a deciding factor in not going ahead if its true...
    • Yut_Man
    • By Yut_Man 30th Oct 11, 9:22 AM
    • 135 Posts
    • 62 Thanks
    Yut_Man
    • 30th Oct 11, 9:22 AM
    • 30th Oct 11, 9:22 AM
    There are a lot of opinions on the exact payment you can expect from a system but the general opinion seems to be 8% return on a typical 10,000 system. Much better than a bank. However if the proposed changes happen this will greatly effect the money you recieve back. It sounds like they are going to make some sort of statement on monday. so it would be worth waiting until then to see what about to happen. If the 50% reducion is going to happen in december then its unlikely to be worth your while, however if it not going to happen until april then it will be.

This will give you some idea what type of generation you can get from your roof. but there typical system price is a bit high. http://www.solarguide.co.uk/solar-pv-calculator#bestresult Hope this helps.
    • jaks111
    • By jaks111 1st Nov 11, 12:52 AM
    • 540 Posts
    • 155 Thanks
    jaks111
    • 1st Nov 11, 12:52 AM
    • 1st Nov 11, 12:52 AM
    not to sure if this is any help depending what part of birmingham you are in i noticed in solihull there is a property ( bungalow ) which is just having it done at the moment i noticed as i have drove past recently lode lane solihull will get details of the company if you are interested
  • NewStudent
    • 1st Nov 11, 1:08 PM
    • 1st Nov 11, 1:08 PM
    I had a local company come out to me this morning. They said my roof was about 16sq metres and that I would need about 9 panels. The man said they would supply and fit Thermosol panels (IIRC) and it would cost about 8000, but he would give me an exact price later. He said it would take about 10.6 years to get my money back and I would get about 750 from the FIT and about a 60 saving on my electricity. Does anyone know if that is reasonable. He also said if I had them installed before 8th December I would get the 43p tariff for the next twenty five years.
    • BornAtTheRightTime
    • By BornAtTheRightTime 1st Nov 11, 1:14 PM
    • 397 Posts
    • 623 Thanks
    BornAtTheRightTime
    • 1st Nov 11, 1:14 PM
    • 1st Nov 11, 1:14 PM
    What will be the total max output (kWp) of the installation?
    3.9kWp solar PV installed 21 Sept 2011, due S and 42 roof.
    17,011kWh generated as at 30 September 2016 - system has now paid for itself.
    • TrickyDicky101
    • By TrickyDicky101 1st Nov 11, 1:15 PM
    • 3,279 Posts
    • 2,161 Thanks
    TrickyDicky101
    • 1st Nov 11, 1:15 PM
    • 1st Nov 11, 1:15 PM
    Only go ahead if you can have the install completed and your documents sent to your supplier before 12th December - any later and it is uneconomic at current prices.
  • NewStudent
    • 1st Nov 11, 1:21 PM
    • 1st Nov 11, 1:21 PM
    What will be the total max output (kWp) of the installation?
    Originally posted by BornAtTheRightTime

IIRC it was 2kWp, but I might be wrong as they are going to email me all the details later today. Thanks.
    • BornAtTheRightTime
    • By BornAtTheRightTime 1st Nov 11, 1:40 PM
    • 397 Posts
    • 623 Thanks
    BornAtTheRightTime
    • 1st Nov 11, 1:40 PM
    • 1st Nov 11, 1:40 PM
    The figures he gave you sound about right, based on getting installed and FITS registered before 12th Dec (obviously I can't know how much shading or what roof orientation you have). Tesco prices are a useful benchmark.
  • NewStudent
    How long does registration take please, and will it be me that registers them or the supplier? Thanks.
  • NewStudent
    The roof was 128 degrees and South West facing. Actually I think it was 2.25 Kwp. Thanks.
    • Yut_Man
    • By Yut_Man 1st Nov 11, 2:10 PM
    • 135 Posts
    • 62 Thanks
    Yut_Man
    how confident are you in the installers. You need a absolute guarantee on there fitting date. If you dont hit the december date the system will probably never pay for itself. The price seems about right. I would stipulate if possible that if panels not fitted by set date then you get deposit back. There will be a lot of people trying to get there systems done in next week or so and for that type of money you need somesort of safeguard. It took me over 2 month to get the system fitted with cancelled installation dates. but some seem to manage a few weeks. As to the time for the electric company to register im not sur eyet. im at that stage now.
    • BornAtTheRightTime
    • By BornAtTheRightTime 1st Nov 11, 2:11 PM
    • 397 Posts
    • 623 Thanks
    BornAtTheRightTime
    You should make approx 1810kWh pa using PV GIS calculator.

784 FIT payment at 43.3p per unit
    28 Export tariff at 3.1p for 50% of the units
    54 Electricity savings, assumed 25% used at typical 12p per kWh
    ____
    866 pa

Registration depends entirely on when you get your application including MCS certificate to your chosen FIT supplier. You can request the application form in advance however you must allow time for postal delivery back to them (2 days?). Ask your prospective installers how and how quickly they will provide the MCS certificate. It is given once installation is complete, however some companies can print it there and then, some will email it over within a few days and some post it back to you after days or even weeks.
    • Yut_Man
    • By Yut_Man 1st Nov 11, 2:22 PM
    • 135 Posts
    • 62 Thanks
    Yut_Man
    Ive just used the link I gave you above and it shows 907 / year with payback in 8 years. However if you miss the december date then it becomes 500 / year and it will take 12 years.

hmm that figure surprised me. Dont forget that the invertor fitted will not last forever and will need replacing, between 10 - 20 years. they seem to cost in the 1000 region.
  • NewStudent
    They said I now have seven days to cancel (even though I haven't signed anything) and after that they can install it in a few days, so well within the time limits. They do not want any upfront money at all, just the lot on completion. Also the panels have a 12 year guarantee. The company seems reliable too me and they are local as well. These are the people http://www.stewartsplumbing.co.uk/ Thanks for everyones help.
    • Yut_Man
    • By Yut_Man 1st Nov 11, 4:11 PM
    • 135 Posts
    • 62 Thanks
    Yut_Man
    Sounds good. no money until completion. they seem like the sort of firm that will be here to stay if solar goes pants. What you can do to speed things up, contact your electric company and get hold of a application form for the FIT. Or look if it can be done online. itll shave a few days of things. please keep us informed how it goes.
  • munchkin88
    As they are covered by the REAL code then you would have to pay a 25% deposit, 35% deposit once you have an installation date or within 21 days of the installation date and then the 40% remainder upon completion. All upon completion is very odd. There are no MCS details on their website either. What are the measurements of your roof? Just the length and height to ridge. With 16sqm you could be looking at around a 3kWp system (if using Sharp 250 panels in a standard 2x5P design and this is just a roughly guesstimating).

Some installers are managing to take deposits and complete the install within a couple weeks before the cut off for the FiT, but alot of installers i have spoken to yesterday and today are trying to book everyone in ASAP so it going to get busy.
  • NewStudent
    The quote came through this evening at 7200. For that I will get 9x Sharp 250 PV Panels and 1xSunnyboy 2100 TL Inverter sited internally in the roof space. All associated wiring and controls will also be provided. A Sunny Beam monitor can be supplied for an extra 210. A standard maintenance contract which involves a site visit will cost an extra 120 and is renewed anually. All panels and the inverter have a five year guarantee.

The installation will be 2.25 Kw.
    Net present value is 17,545 and payback period is 8.3 years. Electricity production costs are 0.17/kWh.

Opinions please. Thanks x
    • aggypanthus
    • By aggypanthus 1st Nov 11, 11:06 PM
    • 1,554 Posts
    • 1,979 Thanks
    aggypanthus
    someone near me has been offered free installation by scottish gas, it seems to be genuine offer.
  • NewStudent
    someone near me has been offered free installation by scottish gas, it seems to be genuine offer.
    Originally posted by aggypanthus
    I don't know much about solar power, but as far as I know it is much more profitable to buy the panels outright (if you can afford them) than to have them fitted and supplied free.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

100Posts Today

1,686Users online

Martin's Twitter