Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • zippychick
    • By zippychick 4th Jun 11, 11:19 AM
    • 9,343Posts
    • 17,889Thanks
    zippychick
    • 4th Jun 11, 11:19 AM
    4th Jun 11 at 11:19 AM
    Hi everyone,

Welcome to the eleventh Grocery Challenge of 2011,

If your new month starts early feel free to join this thread, or if you're still working on your September budget, then keep on posting in theOctober 2011 Grocery Challenge

As always this challenge is to reduce your own grocery budget to levels that you will be pleased with, not forgetting that we always recommend that you stay inside your own comfort levels and take things gently one step at a time. Remember that this is not a competition....it's designed to take you and your grocery spending to a level you are happy with.

If you are new to the challenge I have quoted the advice from Galtizz below which will help you get started.

Please post into this thread for help and advice and support at any time. Good luck to everyone taking part!

I have said this before, but for all the newbies to the challenge;

For the first month I took a guess at the budget but I really had no idea how much I was spending.

I found the best thing is to have a guess the first month but SAVE ALL OF YOUR RECEIPTS (and yes, that does include the ones from the local shop when you run out of milk ), then at the end of the month add them all up and have a look if you were on budget, if not, it doesn't matter because your budget was a guess. For the next month you can use the total of your receipts and take a bit off to get a realistic budget, just shave off as much as you think you can, it could be 1 a week or 20 a week.

If you are currently spending 200 a month don't suddenly drop it to 100 - you'll never do it but if you cut 20 a month off for a few months you'll get there eventually without feeling you're missing out on anything.

You might think you've done everything you can in the first month but someone always comes up with a new idea and, if you try it you often find you save a bit more (unless you are SarahSaver who is an expert at this and could only save more if she turned her back garden into a paddy field and lived on rice ) In the first month I thought, I'm planning meals, I couldn't possibly save any more, but then I started double cooking and freezing, and making soup instead of buying it in tins.

I've been doing this since Feb but only saved ALL of my receipts last month, it has given me a much better idea of where it is all going. Budget for next month is 80 for 2 of us, I'll start on 30/4. I could probably save more, by eating different foods but I can afford to live on 80, I have saved a lot of money since Feb. and I don't waste food or money any more. So I'm happy with my budget.
    For quidelines on posting in this thread please read the second post in this thread.

For the Grocery challenge Recipe Index please see posts #3, #4, #5 and #6 on this thread.

For everyones totals, see post #7 on this thread

I hope everyone has a great month!

Zip
    Last edited by squeaky; 26-10-2011 at 5:52 PM.
    A little nonsense now and then is relished by the wisest men
    Norn Iron club member #380

Page 9
  • budget babe
    Hi,

Could I join in please, I have been lurking for sometime and really want to stick to a budget this month on my grocery shopping.

There is myself and Dh so will have a starting point of 275, I aim to do 250 but don't want to crash and burn before I start.

I have just done an Ocado shop at: 110.56 and an online organic meat order which is to be delivered on Friday, the meat order is: 63,50. (Though they do owe me free of charge as well, a joint of beef, a minute steak and a rump steak, due to missing these off a previous order).

I have all weekend been defrosting my freezer/fridge which are now bare. I have also cleared out all of my cupboards.

My aim is to stock up and then meal plan around what I have.

My main expense seems to be organic meat but I was a veggie for 5 years, until last year.

So good luck to everyone and at least I have a target to aim for.

Take Care
    Budgie x
    Last edited by budget babe; 30-10-2011 at 1:47 PM. Reason: Sorry did not put in red.
    Cherish the ones you love and travel back on the road that brings you home
    "What lies behind us and what lies before us are tiny matters compared to what lies within us" Ralph Waldo Emerson
    • meg72
    • By meg72 30th Oct 11, 12:42 PM
    • 5,082 Posts
    • 46,072 Thanks
    meg72
    Declaring 12.47 for the day - wine, vodka and lemonade

Anyone got any willpower for sale?
    Originally posted by Cat501
    No sorry havent but thanks for the giggle,enjoy yourself,life is just too short to be worrying about some treats.
    Slimming World at target
    • russetred
    • By russetred 30th Oct 11, 1:41 PM
    • 1,232 Posts
    • 9,385 Thanks
    russetred
    Cat501 sorry, I dont where you can find willpower but I can confirm its not available in either the whoopsie shelves or the booze boutique sections of the supermarket!

Annual total up to end of October is 2999.79/4300. Still 13% ahead of spends. Hopefully should cover Christmas food bill especially since I was lucky enough to get a huge RTC goose for the freezer.
    "Sometimes life sucks....but the alternative is unacceptable."
    • blackandwhitebunny
    • By blackandwhitebunny 30th Oct 11, 2:27 PM
    • 489 Posts
    • 4,139 Thanks
    blackandwhitebunny
    I had my first spends today 2 X 59p for bottle green with voucher and 1.08 for toothbrush with voucher so 2.26 in all. this month I am determined not to spend loads, we have a large freezer full and my 'stockpile' is threatening to take over the garage. Any extra I save will go to our holiday fund or Christmas pressies
    I've taken a chicken out the freezer for roasting tonight, I'm going to make a huge batch of spicy roasted parsnips with it and then freeze some of the extra and use some to make soup. I also have a huge cauliflower that I got on the market for 50p so I'm going to make a buig batch of cauliflower cheese and divide it up to freeze.
    I was off to conquer the world but I got distracted by something sparkly

• Bex85
    Hello everyone! I am totally new to this but desperately need to break the habit of a lifetime and start controlling my spending. Please can you put me down for 180 this is for me, my partner and our son, that's 45 per week I reckon. I know that's a lot, but like someone said earlier I don't want to fail before I've even started.....well here goes good luck everyone!!
    xxxx
    • jpscloud
    • By jpscloud 30th Oct 11, 3:34 PM
    • 1,446 Posts
    • 11,552 Thanks
    jpscloud
    Hello again all - two months of outrageously exceeding my budget have taught me that I have a great deal more to learn! I'm in for 200 this month please - very embarrassing as there's only me and the cat. That does include everything though, all groceries, cat food, vet bills, toiletries, odds and sodds.
    I believe in the freedom of spinach and the right to arm bears.

Weight loss journey started January 2015
    -32lbs
  • mrs mum
    Went to buy a pumpkin and a few bits for packed lunches today, came out 94 lighter.
    I'm not taking the cards out for the rest of the week and should be able to make do for at least the rest of the week with the few scraps in my purse

Mrs Mum
    • bestill
    • By bestill 30th Oct 11, 4:30 PM
    • 57 Posts
    • 996 Thanks
    bestill
    Hi,

I'd like to join the challenge. I've been slowly reducing my budget for the last few months & now need a bit more of a push, so thought joining in would help me. We're a 2 + 2 family and I'm going for 320 this month inc cleaning & toiletries. (sorry didn't know how to make the 320 any bigger)
    • becky170
    • By becky170 30th Oct 11, 5:24 PM
    • 528 Posts
    • 4,346 Thanks
    becky170
    Thanks for the new shiny thread Can I be put down for 130 this month? I'va already had some spends this month, but I haven't worked out how much yet! Good luck everyone.
    MFW 2019 #7 1039/1615
    Grocery challenge June 526.24/450
    Grocery challenge July 187.76/450
  • supersally01
    Need to add 10 for whoopsies that I found in Mr A. Did not want to go, but DD13 wanted to look for vampire fangs. Lots of cooking chocolate, icing, bread flour and yeast so old style whoopsies (that's my excuse)!!!
  • prettypaula
    well so far in november

17.15 in wilkos
    8.82 in aldi
    31.18 in tesco
    35.80 at zooplus
    52.24 at petmeds
    18.13 at Sainsbugs

total spends: 163.32

that should be it for large amounts now, and have batch cooked/frozen portions and also done a freezer inventory...

plenty of food and this month is a short one as my payday changes to 25th of the month from last working day in November... so about 3 and a half weeks between paydays this time which is nice!

just under 100 left for November, but have all cat food/litter and all meat we will need, got flour etc to make some bread when we run out of frozen and lots of stuff in the stores.

DFW - Debt Free Date July 2013, LBM Oct 2011

Total Debt Sept 2011 23,708.39
    Paid so far 2,383.91
    Current Debt 21,560.56

• CompBunny
    Happy November everyone!

Following our relative success so far (last year we probably used to spend around 300 per month on two of us and the dog), can you put us down for

for November please?

I'm really finding GC-ing very useful, thankyou everyone! It makes me think every time we spend on food/drink, although I do have to remind myself sometimes that its OK to treat outselves too
    GC2012: Nov 130.52/125
    GC2011:Sept:215
    Oct:123.98Nov:120Dec:138Feb:94.72

Quit smoking 10am 17/02/11 - 4315 saved as of Nov'12

Engaged to my best friend 08/2012

• alexandrasupertramp
    hello
    I'm aiming for 260.00 again this month, which is approx 60 per week for us. We nearly stuck to it last month, but got really busy and rubbish month coming up, so may struggle to shop around as much as I usually do.

Thank you !!!
  • budget babe
    I must say this is quite addictive

My month will run from the 29th to the 29th as this is payday.

I have just edited my Ocado order which now stands at: 108,54 along with my organic meat order which is 63,50 so total so far is 171.04. (Both of which have yet to be delivered).

I have just done a list for Home Bargains for tomorrow, toilet rolls, toothpaste etc.

So will see what that comes in at.

I guess that one could become quite obsessive with this, oh the challenge to stay within target.

Mr Budgie may tire of this come the end of the month, me feels.

Still Budgie likes a challenge.

Take Care
    Budgie x

Oh and thankyou to everyone who organises this challenge and to the experienced posters whose advice is much appreciated. I think its a constant tweaking experience, but I have emptied my bag of all old receipts, so am starting afresh.

Bring it on.
    Last edited by budget babe; 30-10-2011 at 6:29 PM.
    Cherish the ones you love and travel back on the road that brings you home
    "What lies behind us and what lies before us are tiny matters compared to what lies within us" Ralph Waldo Emerson
    • mummyroysof3
    • By mummyroysof3 30th Oct 11, 7:39 PM
    • 4,318 Posts
    • 25,275 Thanks
    mummyroysof3
    going to try to join in this month after getting off track..feel free not to add me to totals though in case i cant keep up..this thread moves fast. aiming for 375 though
    Have a Bsc Hons open degree from the Open University 2015
    • p-pincher
    • By p-pincher 30th Oct 11, 7:47 PM
    • 725 Posts
    • 3,631 Thanks
    p-pincher
    Hi Everynoe

First NSD of the month today, had a real lazy day and didn't even get dressed. Had to leave work early on Friday as I was feeling rough with the start of an ear infection, had loads to do yesterday, no rest for the wicked.Had two spends, one in Sainburys and another in Aldi so another 29.73 spent altogether. Loving aldi at the minute, the chicken thighs are a bargain and the super 6 are right up my street.

Really gotta try to come in budget this month as i've been through my online banking today and ive got a heavy month this month. Want to get all my big spends out of the way this month so my December pay can be saved. Need some fresh bit and bobs this week but got plenty in for dinner and got all the meals planned.
    March 2014 Grocery challenge 250.00
    • Aril
    • By Aril 30th Oct 11, 7:59 PM
    • 1,880 Posts
    • 16,730 Thanks
    Aril
    A frugalish recipe a friend gave me on Friday which I've just put up on the frugal living thread but thought it may be of interest here aswell.
    I'm not veggie but thought it sounded tasty
    Baked Bean Pasties
    Makes 8 pasties. Can be frozen for a month
    2 tbsp olive oil, 1 small onion finely chopped, 1tbsp mild curry paste, 100g red lentils, 450ml veg stock , 200g baked beans, 100g frozen peas, 1 tbsp mango chutney, 450g puff pastrym 1tsp caraway seeds, seasoning [including sea salt]
    Preheat oven 200C. Heat oil and fry onion 5 mins. Stir in curry paste, lentils and stock. Simmer 15-20 mins until thickened. Stir in beans , peas and chutney. Season.
    Roll our half pastry on floured board to 30cm square. Cut into 4 triangles. Repeat with other jals. Spoon 1/8th of mixture onto one half of one triangle. Brush edges with water, fold other half over and press edges together. Repeat with remaining pastry and filling. Brush with water and sprinkle caraway seeds and sea salt . Bake on a baking sheet for 15-20 mins until golden.
    Arilx
    Aiming for a life of elegant frugality wearing a new-to-me silk shirt rather than one of hair!

Not Buying It 2016
    • JIL
    • By JIL 30th Oct 11, 8:34 PM
    • 4,422 Posts
    • 23,975 Thanks
    JIL
    Aril
    that does sound tasty and its vegan!
    A recipe I use that I got some years ago from the side of a tin, but does not sound as posh as yours. The filling was a tin of mixed beans drained and rinsed and mixed with 2oz grated strong cheese, a chopped pepper, 4 chopped spring onions and either chilli powder or a chopped fresh chilli. Then put into pastry sheets brush sides with egg to seal and use rest of egg to glaze. Bake 20 mins until golden.
    • SpikyHedgehog
    • By SpikyHedgehog 30th Oct 11, 9:20 PM
    • 1,001 Posts
    • 10,085 Thanks
    SpikyHedgehog
    Bad organisation on my part strikes again... Because we didn't get in town yesterday in time for me to go into the bank & get bus fare change, or collection money for church, I spent another 51p this morning on throat sweets, then used the change at church (collection for DS2 & me, donation for the coffee & biscuits of which DS2 has lots, & 2 books of raffle tickets). So I had to go back to T3sco Express tonight to make sure I've got bus fare for DS1 for the morning... They had bunches of flowers reduced to 20p! & I got 3 bunches

I'm not counting bus fare money out of my grocery challenge or church money - what I'll have to do as I get better at accounting for my money is do a budget for each of them to see what I'm spending there too.
    C.R.A.P.R.O.L.L.Z #37 - waterproof wearing cage customiser, chief of cable ties and duct tape

It's me, DS1 (23), DS2 (15), and the lurcher, and DS1's leopard geckos.
  • rosieben
    Aril, I've added your Baked Bean Pasties recipe to the front page index; they sound good, I'm going to try them myself
    ... don't throw the string away. You always need string!

C.R.A.P.R.O.L.L.Z Head Sharpener
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

585Posts Today

6,028Users online

Martin's Twitter