Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • MSE Guy
    • By MSE Guy 20th Oct 11, 11:53 AM
    • 1,628Posts
    • 1,255Thanks
    MSE Guy
    MSE News: MP wants debt firms to state free alternatives
    • 20th Oct 11, 11:53 AM
    MSE News: MP wants debt firms to state free alternatives 20th Oct 11 at 11:53 AM
    This is the discussion thread for the following MSE News Story:

"Labour's Yvonne Fovargue introduced a bill requiring firms to explain where people can access free debt help ..."

Page 1
    • poppytody
    • By poppytody 22nd Oct 11, 3:41 PM
    • 1,825 Posts
    • 4,443 Thanks
    poppytody
    • 22nd Oct 11, 3:41 PM
    • 22nd Oct 11, 3:41 PM
    Why should a profit making enterprise be compelled to tell people of free services?

What next,signs in Tesco telling people to shop at Asda?

The info is already in leaflets and letters from banks etc. it's often in the papers and TV programs.

The bigger question is why do people choose to go to these companies rather than the charities (so called)?
    • Deep In Debt
    • By Deep In Debt 22nd Oct 11, 5:13 PM
    • 8,269 Posts
    • 13,040 Thanks
    Deep In Debt
    • 22nd Oct 11, 5:13 PM
    • 22nd Oct 11, 5:13 PM
    Why should a profit making enterprise be compelled to tell people of free services?

What next,signs in Tesco telling people to shop at Asda?

The info is already in leaflets and letters from banks etc. it's often in the papers and TV programs.

The bigger question is why do people choose to go to these companies rather than the charities (so called)?
    Originally posted by poppytody

Probably because these companies tell people that the charities won't help as much as they do, won't get interest frozen and are funded by banks...blah, blah, blah. I've had these companies on the phone to me, so I know the rubbish they spout. They make people in desperation think they are the only way out.
    Debt 30k in 2008. Cleared all my debt in 2013 and loving being debt free
    Mortgage free since 2014
    • MrsTinks
    • By MrsTinks 22nd Oct 11, 7:12 PM
    • 14,995 Posts
    • 23,049 Thanks
    MrsTinks
    • 22nd Oct 11, 7:12 PM
    • 22nd Oct 11, 7:12 PM

Originally posted by poppytody
    Because all the ones I have had call me at home unsolicited LIE! "Oh the charities are not regulated, we are... we can guarantee to get your interest frozen, you'll definitely be debt free in x years"...

Charities are more tightly regulated than ANY business - if you'd ever had any dealings with the charity commission you'd know that and not come out with comments like "(so called)".
    DFW Nerd #025
    DFW no more! Officially debt free 2017 - now joining the MFW's!

My DFW Diary - blah- mildly funny stuff about my journey
    • poppytody
    • By poppytody 23rd Oct 11, 8:41 PM
    • 1,825 Posts
    • 4,443 Thanks
    poppytody
    • 23rd Oct 11, 8:41 PM
    • 23rd Oct 11, 8:41 PM
    Because all the ones I have had call me at home unsolicited LIE! "Oh the charities are not regulated, we are... we can guarantee to get your interest frozen, you'll definitely be debt free in x years"...

Charities are more tightly regulated than ANY business - if you'd ever had any dealings with the charity commission you'd know that and not come out with comments like "(so called)".
    Originally posted by MrsTine
    What regulation, what inspection of work is carried out?

Are you going to tell me that these charities are not also companies as well.
  • shazzzaaa
    • 31st Oct 11, 8:29 AM
    • 31st Oct 11, 8:29 AM
    I used one of these companies not knowing there were free alternatives. I was desperate to get some help at a time when I had completely lost the plot and I am sure that there are lots of people like me out there. I was very upset to discover that I had paid out over 800 over time for help that I could have gotten free. I would really support the bill as the type of person who needs to know that free support is available out there is quite probably the very kind who wouldn't be in the 'right place' emotionally to do the kind of research that would give them the right information. The principle is similar to people being able to reclaim PPI using forms from this website or being 'encouraged' to by fee charging companies for a fee. I stumbled on this website by accident just as I stumbled on a charity that helped me for free. Finally, the fee charged by companies is what is unreasonable. I would pay this company 250 monthly and out of that money they took 70 as a processing and handling fee and they convinced me that they were doing me a service that I couldn't get elsewhere.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

3,398Posts Today

7,157Users online

Martin's Twitter