Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • zippychick
    • By zippychick 4th Jun 11, 11:19 AM
    • 9,343Posts
    • 17,889Thanks
    zippychick
    • 4th Jun 11, 11:19 AM
    4th Jun 11 at 11:19 AM
    Hi everyone,

Welcome to the tenth Grocery Challenge of 2011,

If your new month starts early feel free to join this thread, or if you're still working on your September budget, then keep on posting in the September 2011 Grocery Challenge

As always this challenge is to reduce your own grocery budget to levels that you will be pleased with, not forgetting that we always recommend that you stay inside your own comfort levels and take things gently one step at a time. Remember that this is not a competition....it's designed to take you and your grocery spending to a level you are happy with.

If you are new to the challenge I have quoted the advice from Galtizz below which will help you get started.

Please post into this thread for help and advice and support at any time. Good luck to everyone taking part!

I have said this before, but for all the newbies to the challenge;

For the first month I took a guess at the budget but I really had no idea how much I was spending.

I found the best thing is to have a guess the first month but SAVE ALL OF YOUR RECEIPTS (and yes, that does include the ones from the local shop when you run out of milk ), then at the end of the month add them all up and have a look if you were on budget, if not, it doesn't matter because your budget was a guess. For the next month you can use the total of your receipts and take a bit off to get a realistic budget, just shave off as much as you think you can, it could be 1 a week or 20 a week.

If you are currently spending 200 a month don't suddenly drop it to 100 - you'll never do it but if you cut 20 a month off for a few months you'll get there eventually without feeling you're missing out on anything.

You might think you've done everything you can in the first month but someone always comes up with a new idea and, if you try it you often find you save a bit more (unless you are SarahSaver who is an expert at this and could only save more if she turned her back garden into a paddy field and lived on rice ) In the first month I thought, I'm planning meals, I couldn't possibly save any more, but then I started double cooking and freezing, and making soup instead of buying it in tins.

I've been doing this since Feb but only saved ALL of my receipts last month, it has given me a much better idea of where it is all going. Budget for next month is 80 for 2 of us, I'll start on 30/4. I could probably save more, by eating different foods but I can afford to live on 80, I have saved a lot of money since Feb. and I don't waste food or money any more. So I'm happy with my budget.
    For quidelines on posting in this thread please read the second post in this thread.

For the Grocery challenge Recipe Index please see posts #3, #4, #5 and #6 on this thread.

For everyones totals, see post #7 on this thread

I hope everyone has a great month!

Zip
    Last edited by zippychick; 25-09-2011 at 6:11 PM.
    A little nonsense now and then is relished by the wisest men
    Norn Iron club member #380

Page 32
    • Need2bthrifty
    • By Need2bthrifty 12th Oct 11, 5:06 PM
    • 1,203 Posts
    • 10,097 Thanks
    Need2bthrifty
    Oh Dear, Oh Dear, I'm not doing too well at all this month - I can only blame the OS'rs for this. I have now got into the mind set of being unable to walk past what might be considered a bargain, In fact I am going out deliberately looking for them.

Happily my cupboards are all full of things that I will use regularly and .... eventually My small freezer has a good mixture of cooked L/O meals and frozen chicken/beef, but this philosophy has got me WAY over my budget for this month and there are still another two and a bit weeks to go. So I'm going to go back to what my parents instilled in me in as much as "ITS NOT A BARGAIN UNLESS YOU NEED IT"

Anyway in saying that I probably wont need to go shopping for quite a number of weeks and plan my meals around what's in stock - thats the bit I have not yet got to grips with - keeping enough in stock and buying fresh
    • JulieGeorgiana
    • By JulieGeorgiana 12th Oct 11, 5:20 PM
    • 2,467 Posts
    • 12,987 Thanks
    JulieGeorgiana
    Just did the shopping for Week 3

Totals so far:

Big Monthly Bulk Shop 99.93/100

Week 1 24.89/25
    Week 2 25.00/25
    Week 3 24.99/25
    Week 4 2.41/25

TOTAL 177.22/200
    We spend money we don't have, on things that we don't need, to impress people we don't like. I don't and I'm happy!

Mortgage Free Wannabe
    Overpayments Made: 5400 - Interest Saved: 11,550 - Months Saved: 24
    • ButterflyBee
    • By ButterflyBee 12th Oct 11, 6:33 PM
    • 298 Posts
    • 1,778 Thanks
    ButterflyBee
    Now on Redundency list, save, save, save
    All I bought today at Mr T was, oven chips, sweets, choc spread,corriander, custard creams and gloves. All cost exactly 4.00
    Return and Restart August 2016
    22 Months to be debt free Aug2016 12971.00 By Jun2018
    PAYDBX2016 #155 = 2268.93/3414.93 00% paid
    UK Debt #00 = 9857.23/13039 6% paid
    EmSavFund #204 = 85.00/1000 6% paid
    Mortgage #00 = 183084/183093 00% paid
  • Savysaver
    This is my 2nd month doing the Grocery Challenge. I really enjoyed doing the last one. I was really surprised how easy it was to spend on silly things, but doing this has been a real wake up call. Bring on October!!!!
    Jan 2012 GC 600/78.33 Spent
    2nd Purse 20.00

• TheThriftyScrumpers
    • By TheThriftyScrumpers 12th Oct 11, 7:47 PM
    • 272 Posts
    • 5,359 Thanks
    TheThriftyScrumpers
    Evening All!
    Cheeky Takeaway tonight. It was a very long day and I did enjoy it. I will log spends on my signature later. Free veg box arrives tomorrow Yay!
    Good Luck everyone :0)
    GC Mar 11 437.08Apr 11 459.26 May 11 485.52 June 11 423.79July 11 409.22 Aug 11 250.10Sept 11 396.14Oct 11 382.37Nov 11 372.55Dec 11 332.29 Jan 12 375.19:Feb 12 349.58Mar 12 279.66Apr 12 249.12May 12 337.66/Jun 12 362.58/Jul 12 317.03/Aug 12 354.02/Sept 439.72/Oct 12 210.16
    • Sue14
    • By Sue14 12th Oct 11, 8:47 PM
    • 899 Posts
    • 10,894 Thanks
    Sue14
    3.60 spent in Mr S, 16.16 in Mr T's and 19.29 in Mr M's.
    Weight loss challenge 3/10lbs
    Total weight loss 21lbs

• totallybored
    • By totallybored 12th Oct 11, 8:48 PM
    • 1,084 Posts
    • 2,506 Thanks
    totallybored
    Went a bit over budget this weekend and managed to spend 80.41 instead of the 50 I intended. Went to Aldi, Lidl, Sainsburys and 99p shop though and this included stocking up on shower gels, bubble baths, Doritos (will only eat the chilli ones and can't find an own brand that is as nice) and some pepsis as a treat. It's been quite a while since I was in lidl but I was quite pleasantly surprised with the selection of fresh things. I also found reduced sandwiches in Waitrose on sunday for 25p a pack so bought 4 and me and hubby took these to work for lunch Monday and Tuesday (the eat by date on them was Sunday but they were still fine on Tuesday). Total spend so far this month is 130 / 250 but 3 weekends left to go.
    • Save Dosh
    • By Save Dosh 12th Oct 11, 9:18 PM
    • 1,329 Posts
    • 15,828 Thanks
    Save Dosh
    Updating spends. 3.83 in morrisons, 5.00 in pound store and 2.90 in co-op. that leaves me 14.96 to get to the end of the month. Really only need salad stuff now and probably some more ham next week. Hopefully I will do it, this month.
    August GC - Food 55.56/80 Alcohol 17.24/20
    Bulk Funds - Food 19.73
    -
    Save 12k in 2019 1,300/5,000 - #155
  • Twiceblessed
    Further spend 13.99 to get a dynamo torch, part of my winter prep. Never had a power cut but dont know what on earth to do with the fuse box or anything so may come in handy!
    January grocery challenge 159.43/250.00
    February grocery challenge 209.53/200.00
    March grocery challenge 165.66/190
    April grocery challenge 186.27/170.00
    May grocery challenge 22.51/180.00
    • Doom_and_Gloom
    • By Doom_and_Gloom 12th Oct 11, 10:41 PM
    • 3,837 Posts
    • 13,235 Thanks
    Doom_and_Gloom
    Budget - 100
    Spent - 14.35
    Left - 85.65
    Originally posted by Doom_and_Gloom
    Co-op = 2.96
    Mr S = 9.99
    Total = 12.95

Budget - 100
    Spent - 27.30
    Left - 72.70
    I am a vegan woman. My OH is a lovely omni guy
    • recovering spendaholic
    • By recovering spendaholic 12th Oct 11, 11:36 PM
    • 3,049 Posts
    • 15,426 Thanks
    recovering spendaholic
    Need2bethrifty - I have become just the same about looking for bargains!! I went out to Sainsburys tonight for some "Always" and came out with a half price organic chicken, basics sausages (20p), bag of salad (30p) bag of giant bakery cookies (40p) and BOGOF supersweet pineapple and tangerines. I didn't NEED any of it so I am cross with myself!

Tonight we had one of our Goodfellas pizzas (I managed to get the BOGOF deal at Co-op with my voucher - they were fine about it) with some Sainsburys yakiori chicken skewers so a nice wasy tea!

I made a bacon and egg pie last night and it was absolutely delicious - much nicer than a quiche IMO! I just used defrosted hm shortcrust pastry to line a 7" sandwich cake tin and threw in some l/o chopped up ham, a couple of l/o sausages and then I broke in 6 eggs and seasoned it. I put on a pastry lid and baked for 35 minutes at 180 and let it go cold and it was fab! I will be eating it for lunch until Saturday or Sunday though because kids don't like egg yolks now apparantly......

12 days left in my month so I am hoping to come in under budget!
    Jane

ENDIS. Employed, no disposable income or savings!
    • Ches
    • By Ches 13th Oct 11, 12:03 AM
    • 1,105 Posts
    • 10,371 Thanks
    Ches
    I have done ok this week. I haven't had any spends at all since last weeks Mr S shop on Friday so I am well pleased with that. However, I admit to getting bored with the menu plan already and we are still on week 2 of a 4 week plan. Plenty of variety but its knowing in advance what we are going to eat all week thats driving me mad. However, OH loves it and consults the plan everyday to check what he is having for breakfast the following day.I am shopping today (Thurs) instead of Friday this week as I have a lot of baking to do on Friday for a charity 'do'. I have printed off my list from 'my supermarket' and as always Mr S is cheapest for me. I will update my sig when I get back and as OH is away for all of next week and as I intend to eat all the odds and s0ds from the freezer it should be a cheap week.
    Mortgage and Debt free but need to increase savings pot.
    • suzybloo
    • By suzybloo 13th Oct 11, 6:24 AM
    • 1,081 Posts
    • 8,740 Thanks
    suzybloo
    Just checking in - doing not too badly this month I have - so far spent 291 but have spent other money on things for christmas, but that was from my christmas jar money.
    Cupboards are still pretty full and nothing pressing that I need to get before the weekend.
    Keep positive everyone = even if you dont keep within your budget you are still doing well - even by becoming more concious of where your money is going is a start,
    Every days a School day!
    • Miss_Purple_Hat
    • By Miss_Purple_Hat 13th Oct 11, 7:11 AM
    • 69 Posts
    • 425 Thanks
    Miss_Purple_Hat
    Did a shop at Mr T the other day (I only have Mr T and I**land anywhere near me).

Orange Juice 65p
    Orange squash 34p
    Mild salsa 99p
    Low fat mature cheese 1.82
    Wholewheat pasta x 2 44p
    Half cucumber 40p
    Lettuce 78p
    Fajita mix 59p
    Value ham 65p
    Value yoghurts 29p
    Low fat toritlla wraps 1

So total of 7.95

Over half the month to go, don't think I'll make it on my very low budget! I still have 30 in savings stamps, but they're all on one booklet and I haven't needed to spend that much at once (and there's still no space in the freezer!).
    Making mistakes is not the end of the world, though it often feels that way!
  • ebayqueen
    [QUOTE=rising from the ashes;47633035]Hope no-one minds, but I've noticed the "F" word a few times this month ...... so I'd just like to say that IMHO:

NO-ONE EVER FAILS ......

Even by taking part and not meeting target, we're making positive steps towards running our households in a more efficient and MSE way!

Life happens, sometimes an unexpected visit by friends/family or really good offer that will save money in the long run will come along that we've not catered for in our budgets - that's not failure.

I'm sure we're all spending a lot less than we would be if we weren't taking part!

Exactly RFTA

You have hit the nail on the head

I haven't had an NSD so far but do you know what I am not going to beat myself up as I am spending very little money

Take care
    E
    "You are never too old to set another goal or to dream a new dream" C. S. Lewis
  • rosieben
    recovering spendaholic, your bacon and egg pie is in the recipe list, it's a nice and easy one!
    Last edited by rosieben; 13-10-2011 at 1:36 PM.
    ... don't throw the string away. You always need string!

C.R.A.P.R.O.L.L.Z Head Sharpener
    • 76rosie
    • By 76rosie 13th Oct 11, 8:44 AM
    • 1,808 Posts
    • 32,272 Thanks
    76rosie
    16.19/50.00

Popping to Mr T tonight on the way to watching The help, will need to get a snack, may hunt a bargain or two.

Have been so good this month. Still eating shreddies and sacla sauce!!!

OH doesn't like waste either, so eating what ever around too
    • recovering spendaholic
    • By recovering spendaholic 13th Oct 11, 9:25 AM
    • 3,049 Posts
    • 15,426 Thanks
    recovering spendaholic
    Ches - I know exactly what you mean about the meal plan - I don't like the knowing what we are having thing either but the kids love it!

Spend 7 in Aldi this morning - got 50% off ham and pork, 2 50% off pizzas, 50% off sub rolls, 4 creme caramels, a bag of basmati rice and a big bag of estima baking potatoes (my favourite variety).

Lunch today will be bacon and egg pie and salad for me - kids have bagels with tuna in packed lunches with squares of l/o hm quiche. Dinner will be chicken with jacket potatoes and mushrooms, peppers and onions in balsamic vinegar. I might add some butternut squash to the veg as it is lovely. I just chop up a couple of onions (red preferably), peppers, some mushrooms and a butternut squash (I don't even peel it - just give a good wash. I put the BNS, onion and peppers in a roasting tin and sprinkle with a bit of olive oil, some pepper, balsamic vinegar and thyme. I roast it for about 30 minutes at 180 and then throw in the mushrooms. I then turn up the oven to max and roast it for 15 - 20 minutes more until it goes all charred and caramelly - it's yummy!
    Jane

ENDIS. Employed, no disposable income or savings!
    • tessie bear
    • By tessie bear 13th Oct 11, 9:50 AM
    • 4,361 Posts
    • 30,013 Thanks
    tessie bear
    hi....we have got chicken and mushroom pie for tea but i am cheating and purchased some puff pastry...also peeled some brambley apples and cooked them....will do them with custard for pudding

i thought i might make a stew for tea tomorrow if i do though the temperature will sky rocket....will have a look at a weather forcast first i think

i am off to get a m and s meal deal later and might have the tiniest peak into the clothes section....but that isnt out of the grocery budget

tata tessa
    onwards and upwards
  • CompBunny
    I'm ashamed to say that I haven't been keeping an accurate record of my grocery spends for the past little while...my OH had an operation, and my Grandfather (more like a father to me though) has been very unhappy after moving into a care home (I need to make another thread somewhere, really concerned for his safety and out of my depth helping him) so had lots of my mind. However, I'd estimate about 25 so will add 28 to the total to allow for error.

On the positive side, I worked out that my ancient rust bucket of a car managed 71MPG on its last tank! The most it has done before is 65mpg. All thanks to economical driving and reducing the number of short journeys, which my diesel car hates. If you want to calculate your MPG here is the calculator I used http://www.cartuningtips.com/425-mpg-calculator
    GC2012: Nov 130.52/125
    GC2011:Sept:215
    Oct:123.98Nov:120Dec:138Feb:94.72

Quit smoking 10am 17/02/11 - 4315 saved as of Nov'12

Engaged to my best friend 08/2012

Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

729Posts Today

6,711Users online

Martin's Twitter