Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    Allexie
    Any ideas for picnic food??
    • 25th Apr 05, 1:24 PM
    Any ideas for picnic food?? 25th Apr 05 at 1:24 PM
    The recent sunshine has made me start to think of picnics

I nearly always end up doing quiche/salads/breads...with avocado or grapefruit to start and trifle or profiteroles as the pud and its getting a bit boring.

Would love to hear of any interesting (and portable) ideas......

*I once saw a telly-chef do a dish with a hollowed out loaf which was then filled with 'something?' - the lid was put back on and it was wrapped in clingfilm and a weight placed on top. Can anyone enlighten me *
    ♥♥♥ Genius - 1% inspiration and 99% doing what your mother told you. ♥♥♥

Page 1
  • Lucie
    • 25th Apr 05, 1:39 PM
    • 25th Apr 05, 1:39 PM
    Mmmmmmm. Love picnics

We have done the squashed sandwich thing in the past:
    Best bread is a ciabatta or a pain rustique type of thing - some thing reasonably big & flattish. Split in half (whole loaf)
    Choose your filling - I like ham, mozzarela, tomatoes, onions but you can put whatever you like in. It needs to be quite full.
    Squash down & wrap tightly in clingfilm. Put it in the fridge for a while under something heavy to compress it even more.
    When you get to your picnic destination you can unwrap & cut into slices - stays together much better than normal sandwiches.
    We also like cold cooked chicken legs & cold thingytail sausages.
  • Lillibet
    • 25th Apr 05, 1:52 PM
    • 25th Apr 05, 1:52 PM
    Scotch eggs, chicken legs & sausage rolls are my picnic favourites. Also french bread & fillings to make up yourself , cherry tomatoes & a bottle of spritzer or bucks fizz to enjoy in the sun
    Post Natal Depression is the worst part of giving birth

In England we have Mothering Sunday & Father Christmas, Mothers day & Santa Clause are American merchandising tricks Demonstrate pride in your heirtage by getting it right please people!
    • Murtle
    • By Murtle 25th Apr 05, 3:40 PM
    • 4,024 Posts
    • 2,576 Thanks
    Murtle
    • 25th Apr 05, 3:40 PM
    • 25th Apr 05, 3:40 PM
    chips and dips
    carrot sticks/cucumber/cauliflower florets and dips
    pitta breads and fillings (either cut length ways or in half)
    wraps - easy to make and easy to eat!!! Roasted veggies are great!
    small pasties - easy to make yourself, and put whatever you want in them

can't think of anything else for now...but will post again if brain moves out of neutral!!!
    • squeaky
    • By squeaky 25th Apr 05, 3:52 PM
    • 13,808 Posts
    • 15,843 Thanks
    squeaky
    • 25th Apr 05, 3:52 PM
    sausage and rice salad
    • 25th Apr 05, 3:52 PM
    Perhaps try my recipe for my World Famous Sausage and Rice Salad
    Last edited by squeaky; 25-04-2005 at 5:30 PM.
    Hi, I'm a Board Guide on the Old Style and the Consumer Rights boards which means I'm a volunteer to help the boards run smoothly and can move and merge posts there. Board guides are not moderators and don't read every post. If you spot an inappropriate or illegal post then please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. It is not part of my role to deal with reportable posts. Any views are mine and are not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.

Never ascribe to malice that which is adequately explained by incompetence.
    DTFAC: Y.T.D = 5.20 Apr 0.50
  • Lyndsay_21
    • 25th Apr 05, 4:26 PM
    • 25th Apr 05, 4:26 PM
    chicken drumsticks/leg thingys cooked in the oven then eaten cold at picnic how about HM potato salad (yummy) or instead of sandwiches wraps instead
    • elona
    • By elona 25th Apr 05, 4:33 PM
    • 11,149 Posts
    • 63,451 Thanks
    elona
    • 25th Apr 05, 4:33 PM
    • 25th Apr 05, 4:33 PM
    Or stuffed pitta breads
    "This site is addictive!"
    Wooligan 2 squares for smoky - 3 squares for HTA
    Preemie hats - 2.
  • Allexie
    • 25th Apr 05, 4:36 PM
    • 25th Apr 05, 4:36 PM
    Lucie....

That sounds good....I'm sure I've seen a version made with something cooked...might have been oven roast veggies with olives and capers...that kind of thing..... might just have to experiment.....

Squeaks...

I like the sound of that too but I'm a veggie - wonder what I could substitute for the bangers...(don't say veggie-bangers... )

*why haven't you posted this in the recipes thingy with just a link here...like wot you told me to do???*

• squeaky
    • By squeaky 25th Apr 05, 4:40 PM
    • 13,808 Posts
    • 15,843 Thanks
    squeaky
    • 25th Apr 05, 4:40 PM
    • 25th Apr 05, 4:40 PM
    Squeaks...

I like the sound of that too but I'm a veggie - wonder what I could substitute for the bangers...(don't say veggie-bangers... )

[/size]
    by Allexie
    I thought you were a veggie judging by your posts in recipes, but I figured you would know of something you could substitute (nut cutlets) for the sausages.

I wasn't sure about posting it in recipes but I suppose I could. So when I've had a I shall do exactly that
    Hi, I'm a Board Guide on the Old Style and the Consumer Rights boards which means I'm a volunteer to help the boards run smoothly and can move and merge posts there. Board guides are not moderators and don't read every post. If you spot an inappropriate or illegal post then please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. It is not part of my role to deal with reportable posts. Any views are mine and are not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.

• Allexie
    I thought you were a veggie judging by your posts in recipes, but I figured you would know of something you could substitute (nut cutlets) for the sausages.
    by squeaky
    Hmmm...I wonder...mini falafels, cubes of feta cheese, strips of char-grilled peppers.....

I'm really looking forward to the bank holiday week-end. Mind you, it will probably now!

• Curry Queen
    • By Curry Queen 25th Apr 05, 6:53 PM
    • 5,482 Posts
    • 3,081 Thanks
    Curry Queen
    Tamsin Day-Lewis did a roasted veggie summer salad type recipe that looked yum ... I'll look it out for you and post it to the recipe thread
    "An Ye Harm None, Do What Ye Will"
    ~
    It is that what you do, good or bad,
    will come back to you three times as strong!

• Luis
    Beeeyootiful veggie rice salad idea:

Some rice
    some eggs
    some peanuts
    some mayonnaise

Boil rice & allow to cool
    hard boil eggs and allow to cool
    dice eggs
    throw rice, egg and peanuts in together and mix with mayo til you get a nice sticky consistency

Trust me, this is a family favourite and has been for decades.

Other ideas -

onion tart (HM made with shortcrust pastry base, loads of fried onions in a creamy quichey filling - so tasty)

The old cheese n pineapple on sticks (making a comeback......)

salsa and dipping things - all dips really, and all dipping things

strawbs and cream (de rigeur surely?)
    "It was not my intention to do this in front of you. For that, I'm sorry. But you can take my word for it, your mother had it comin'."

Overlord for the Axis of Evil (part time)
    • squeaky
    • By squeaky 25th Apr 05, 8:19 PM
    • 13,808 Posts
    • 15,843 Thanks
    squeaky
    Peanuts in any salad work a treat!

• Iona_Penny
    • By Iona_Penny 25th Apr 05, 10:47 PM
    • 690 Posts
    • 604 Thanks
    Iona_Penny
    Grate red leicester cheese and mix with small amount of spread and english mustard to make a spreadable goo.
    Take slices of white bread, cut crusts off and then roll flat with rolling pin. Spread bread with cheese mixture, place one skinless sausage on end and roll up; secure with cocktail stick. Bake in hot oven so cheese melts and bread 'toasts'. Delicious warm but cool and carry in air tight container so they stay crunchy. Variation on sausage roll theme!
    • squeaky
    • By squeaky 25th Apr 05, 11:26 PM
    • 13,808 Posts
    • 15,843 Thanks
    squeaky
    Bake for how long at what temp? Tell me quick 'cos I want one!

• ET03
    how about a mix of chicken with fajita seasoning and yoghurt or sour cream
    with a salad or some marinated veg, and some tortilla wraps
  • ET03
    you could make orange curd using the satsumas instead

Orange Curd

Orange Curd

3 large eggs
    2 large egg yolks
    1/2 cup sugar
    1/4 cup fresh orange juice
    2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
    2 teaspoons finely grated orange zest
    2 teaspoons finely grated lemon zest
    1 stick (4 ounces) cold unsalted butter, cut into tablespoons

In a small heavy saucepan, whisk together the eggs and egg yolks. Whisk in the
    sugar, then whisk in the citrus juices and zests. Add the butter and whisk
    constantly over moderately low heat until the mixture thickens, about 8 minutes;
    do not let it boil. Immediately strain the curd into a bowl. Press plastic wrap
    directly on the surface of the curd and cut 6 small steam vents in the plastic.
    Refrigerate the curd overnight; it can be refrigerated for up to 1 week.
    • squeaky
    • By squeaky 26th Apr 05, 11:17 AM
    • 13,808 Posts
    • 15,843 Thanks
    squeaky
    you could make orange curd using the satsumas instead

Orange Curd

3 large eggs
    2 large egg yolks
    1/2 cup sugar
    1/4 cup fresh orange juice
    2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
    2 teaspoons finely grated orange zest
    2 teaspoons finely grated lemon zest
    1 stick (4 ounces) cold unsalted butter, cut into tablespoons
    by ET03
    This sounds yummy. Then I could take orange curd sandwiches on my picnic! Ooh! Orange curd tarts!!!!!!

Question: How many satsumas for this recipe please?
    Last edited by squeaky; 26-04-2005 at 11:21 AM.

• ET03
    I would just substitute satsuma juice and zest where it says orange
    • squeaky
    • By squeaky 26th Apr 05, 12:31 PM
    • 13,808 Posts
    • 15,843 Thanks
    squeaky
    Oh, right. Of course! Silly me Thanks.

Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

2,272Posts Today

7,022Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • RT @MartinSLewis: I sued Facebook for defamation over scam ads & settled in return for 2 things that LAUNCH TODAY -1on1 scam help at new C?

• Bizzare German twitter mash article has called me "MARTIN LEWIS, der Geldsparexperte," Any german speakers out the? https://t.co/1tXEzCe4Y3

• Have you ever been scammed? If so did you keep it quiet? If not would you keep it quiet or tell people? Please vot? https://t.co/68bkmbT9gc

• Follow Martin