Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Former MSE Helen
    • By Former MSE Helen 23rd Sep 11, 9:51 AM
    • 2,324Posts
    • 971Thanks
    Former MSE Helen
    MSE News: Respite as FTSE rises slightly
    • 23rd Sep 11, 9:51 AM
    MSE News: Respite as FTSE rises slightly 23rd Sep 11 at 9:51 AM
    This is the discussion thread for the following MSE News Story:

"Shell-shocked investors were given some relief today after the City's worst trading session in nearly three years ..."

Read the full story:
    Respite as FTSE rises slightly

Page 1
    • le loup
    • By le loup 23rd Sep 11, 10:23 AM
    • 3,907 Posts
    • 3,954 Thanks
    le loup
    • 23rd Sep 11, 10:23 AM
    • 23rd Sep 11, 10:23 AM
    ............. Oh yes?
    • nzseries1
    • By nzseries1 23rd Sep 11, 10:30 AM
    • 2,144 Posts
    • 1,851 Thanks
    nzseries1
    • 23rd Sep 11, 10:30 AM
    • 23rd Sep 11, 10:30 AM
    It was shortlived - it's now down 0.5% since this morning.
    You're spelling is effecting me so much. Im trying not to be phased by it but your all making me loose my mind on mass!! My head is loosing it's hair. I'm going to take myself off the electoral role like I should of done ages ago and move to the Caribean. I already brought my plane ticket, all be it a refundable 1.
    • Reaper
    • By Reaper 23rd Sep 11, 10:53 AM
    • 6,486 Posts
    • 4,841 Thanks
    Reaper
    • 23rd Sep 11, 10:53 AM
    • 23rd Sep 11, 10:53 AM
    And still falling. Slightly strange to have an article based on a few hours trading when there have not been any others until now about the market turmoil. Maybe it's a new thing.
    • foofi22
    • By foofi22 23rd Sep 11, 11:29 AM
    • 2,011 Posts
    • 1,314 Thanks
    foofi22
    • 23rd Sep 11, 11:29 AM
    • 23rd Sep 11, 11:29 AM
    NEWS: Stock markets go down as well as up.
    OTHER NEWS: House prices are different from the last time
    • globalds
    • By globalds 23rd Sep 11, 11:32 AM
    • 8,905 Posts
    • 16,706 Thanks
    globalds
    • 23rd Sep 11, 11:32 AM
    • 23rd Sep 11, 11:32 AM
    So we are going to get more money printing Quantitative easing.
    • cepheus
    • By cepheus 23rd Sep 11, 12:08 PM
    • 19,216 Posts
    • 20,338 Thanks
    cepheus
    • 23rd Sep 11, 12:08 PM
    • 23rd Sep 11, 12:08 PM
    I don't think its a good idea to make statements about short term market movements.
    • poppy10
    • By poppy10 23rd Sep 11, 12:11 PM
    • 6,164 Posts
    • 7,463 Thanks
    poppy10
    • 23rd Sep 11, 12:11 PM
    • 23rd Sep 11, 12:11 PM
    Silly article, was already out of date by the time it was published. FTSE now down 1.9% so far today. Why publish an article based on the first hour's movement of a single day's trading?
    Last edited by poppy10; 23-09-2011 at 12:14 PM.
    • Rupert Bear
    • By Rupert Bear 23rd Sep 11, 12:31 PM
    • 1,267 Posts
    • 630 Thanks
    Rupert Bear
    • 23rd Sep 11, 12:31 PM
    • 23rd Sep 11, 12:31 PM
    The shorters must be having a ball.
  • almondsalty
    Silly article, was already out of date by the time it was published. FTSE now down 1.9% so far today. Why publish an article based on the first hour's movement of a single day's trading?
    Originally posted by poppy10
    To be fair to the team, many outlets reported on the early rise in the morning because of the positive news from G20. This spiked markets this morning, but fears prevailed.

It will remain bumpy for quite a while yet... and I think we all know this deep down .
    • gadgetmind
    • By gadgetmind 23rd Sep 11, 4:09 PM
    • 10,908 Posts
    • 8,900 Thanks
    gadgetmind
    These panic dips on even the slightest bit of bad news had been great for those looking to buy shares in solid companies at bargain-basement prices. However, some shares on my watch list, such as National Grid, have barely twitched, which is most annoying. Can we have a dip down to FTSE100=3500 some time next week?
    • cepheus
    • By cepheus 23rd Sep 11, 4:23 PM
    • 19,216 Posts
    • 20,338 Thanks
    cepheus
    These panic dips on even the slightest bit of bad news had been great for those looking to buy shares in solid companies at bargain-basement prices. However, some shares on my watch list, such as National Grid, have barely twitched, which is most annoying. Can we have a dip down to FTSE100=3500 some time next week?
    Originally posted by gadgetmind
    I remember the technology stock enthusiasts saying the same back in 2001.
    • gadgetmind
    • By gadgetmind 23rd Sep 11, 4:35 PM
    • 10,908 Posts
    • 8,900 Thanks
    gadgetmind
    I remember the technology stock enthusiasts saying the same back in 2001.
    Originally posted by cepheus
    I use very different approaches when buying tech shares versus defensive shares. With tech shares, I only buy what I understand, and I need to see valuable and well-protected technology with a high barrier to entry, a solid business model, and a plausible route to market. As a result, I have done *very* well from tech shares over the last decade, and my daughter's portfolio, which was bought for a very modest sum a few years back, will now pay her university fees twice over.

I suspect that most of those who lost big time back then didn't take the time to do their research and just followed the thundering herd off the edge of the cliff.

The only drawback of my approach is that I only have the time to fully research a handful of companies, which does leave me rather exposed. However, only one of my handful has failed (prepack administration sucks!) and two have gone well past "ten bagger" territory.
  • pqrdef
    And at the end of all that, the Footsie finishes up on the day, contradicting everything the pundits have been saying all day.
    • gadgetmind
    • By gadgetmind 23rd Sep 11, 5:11 PM
    • 10,908 Posts
    • 8,900 Thanks
    gadgetmind
    And at the end of all that, the Footsie finishes up on the day, contradicting everything the pundits have been saying all day.
    Originally posted by pqrdef
    That's been the way of things in most of the recent flash dips, which seem to come along about twice a month. I've found that buying around midday works well, so I set cheeky limit orders later morning and the emails usually arrive by 1-2pm.

I'm expecting it to be late 2012 or 2013 before I know whether this is going to play out as I expect as my crystal ball is at the cleaners.
    • lvader
    • By lvader 23rd Sep 11, 6:10 PM
    • 1,887 Posts
    • 1,601 Thanks
    lvader
    Be careful of the dead cat bounce. Markets won't be content to wait a month for a solution.
    • gadgetmind
    • By gadgetmind 23rd Sep 11, 6:38 PM
    • 10,908 Posts
    • 8,900 Thanks
    gadgetmind
    Be careful of the dead cat bounce. Markets won't be content to wait a month for a solution.
    Originally posted by lvader
    Bounces are a sentiment thing and are as such best ignored.
    • sabretoothtigger
    • By sabretoothtigger 23rd Sep 11, 7:10 PM
    • 10,024 Posts
    • 6,604 Thanks
    sabretoothtigger
    Short sellers must buy back the shares at some point. I think they will try to sell more next week.

4500 is the big target but I would be surprised if we got there and stayed there as so much of FTSE has earnings in countries with strong growth, so far this is just fear not actual balance sheet losses
    Tokyo residential prices have gone from 4x London in 1990 to ľ London in 2014
    Maybe this is one of those cases where you canít go home again,
    by Ben S. Bernanke, former Fed chairman
    • moneylover
    • By moneylover 24th Sep 11, 12:55 AM
    • 1,622 Posts
    • 408 Thanks
    moneylover
    I've found that buying around midday works well, so I set cheeky limit orders later morning and the emails usually arrive by 1-2pm.

I'm expecting it to be late 2012 or 2013 before I know whether this is going to play out as I expect as my crystal ball is at the cleaners.
    Originally posted by gadgetmind
    As you have already paid for your daughters education with your investments you dont need your crystal ball any more. As it appears quite a good one, can I have it?

Can I ask about limit orders with your broker -can you set several for different shares and attach the same one sum of money to each of them or does the money get tied to an order? Eg if you have £3000 could you put this one sum on say, BP, NG, VOD etc and see which one goes through first, the rest failing? I am sure this was possible a couple of years ago when I used Selftrade but having come back to investing I am now with X-O and they attach the money to an order and you cannot put the same money against any other order as well.
    • stringer_bell
    • By stringer_bell 24th Sep 11, 1:05 AM
    • 407 Posts
    • 54 Thanks
    stringer_bell
    so is now a good time to add to my funds in my ISA? top them up so to speak
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

82Posts Today

1,595Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • Mini MSE is on half term next week, so I'm excited to be taking the week off to be daddy. As normal I'm signing of? https://t.co/G3366shWh1

• I once blurted out on @gmb "Theresa May hasn't been given a poisoned chalice - she's been given a poisoned chalice? https://t.co/onfRbY3XVg

• It'd be fascinating to know how history will judge Theresa May's premiership. Currently, it is hard to see it as a? https://t.co/eH77G0O9LA

• Follow Martin