Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
Page 1
    • TechnoBoy
    • By TechnoBoy 16th Sep 11, 4:08 PM
    • 64 Posts
    • 47 Thanks
    TechnoBoy
    • 16th Sep 11, 4:08 PM
    • 16th Sep 11, 4:08 PM
    They move the goalposts on payment because it generates headlines, and we all know that headlines generates passengers.

Nice bit of (free) marketing - very clever.

They'll move the goalposts again, maybe it'll be "Buy Ryan Air Vouchers 30 days in advance of the flight to get the discount".
  • jamesd
    • 16th Sep 11, 8:03 PM
    • 16th Sep 11, 8:03 PM
    My personal opinion is that Ryanair is an unethical company, because of such games and difficulties with compensation, so I simply won't do business with the firm. Its boss would surely disagree about this being an ethical matter but this is one bum that won't be on its seats because of this stuff.
    • jezza2412
    • By jezza2412 16th Sep 11, 10:39 PM
    • 234 Posts
    • 211 Thanks
    jezza2412
    • 16th Sep 11, 10:39 PM
    • 16th Sep 11, 10:39 PM
    At least Ryanair and the other airlines do still offer one fee-free method of booking.

Why does no-one campaign against concert and other entertainment tickets and their just-as-outrageous 'booking fees'- they're totally unavoidable but never included in the advertised price...
    • chattychappy
    • By chattychappy 18th Sep 11, 8:12 AM
    • 7,124 Posts
    • 3,963 Thanks
    chattychappy
    • 18th Sep 11, 8:12 AM
    • 18th Sep 11, 8:12 AM
    My personal opinion is that Ryanair is an unethical company, because of such games and difficulties with compensation, so I simply won't do business with the firm. Its boss would surely disagree about this being an ethical matter but this is one bum that won't be on its seats because of this stuff.
    Originally posted by jamesd
    Know what you mean. I fly alot - from long haul in business class, to short hops with a variety of airlines including the low cost ones - here and in Asia.

All I would say is that Ryanair do not have an exclusive on trying to cheat you when things go wrong. Ie by going for a traditional carrier you don't necessarily buy yourself a better service.
    • timbstoke
    • By timbstoke 19th Sep 11, 10:33 AM
    • 961 Posts
    • 1,234 Thanks
    timbstoke
    • 19th Sep 11, 10:33 AM
    • 19th Sep 11, 10:33 AM
    What's the betting that their own Mastercard will charge for each transaction? 6 per transaction, maybe? After all, it isn't then Ryanair who are charging you, it's "your card provider", so they still wouldn't need to include the charge in their base price.
    • grahamb
    • By grahamb 21st Sep 11, 6:44 AM
    • 12 Posts
    • 5 Thanks
    grahamb
    • 21st Sep 11, 6:44 AM
    Guinness for Michael
    • 21st Sep 11, 6:44 AM
    I would love to be present should Mr O`Leary be buying a cheap pint in a bar (eg Guinness 1 a pint) and, when he asked why so cheap, watch his expression as the barman replies

" Will you wanting a glass with that sir?"

Someone needs to make this company fairer.

• soldierboy001
    • By soldierboy001 21st Sep 11, 8:19 AM
    • 12 Posts
    • 9 Thanks
    soldierboy001
    • 21st Sep 11, 8:19 AM
    soldierboy001
    • 21st Sep 11, 8:19 AM
    Mr. O'Leary knowsw that 20% of his fliers will use his new card so he adds 1 to each seat so he still gets the same revenue for the flight and by adding the 1 the electron card holder only gets a 5 pound discount, but to get this discount you have to load the card so that the card company makes money because you will never have the exact amount on your card to pay the flight. Simples????
    As for flying I personally know which airport I want to fly from and which one I want to fly to and check all airlines that are flying my route and then according to the convenience of flying times and arrival times book accordingly, sometimes flying back with a different airline.
    More offten than not Ryanair comes out on top and the service is no worse than others, I just wish we could get rid of that awful fanfare every time he arrives on time or early
  • alicefaethepalace
    • 21st Sep 11, 9:30 AM
    Ryanair customer care - it's a joke
    • 21st Sep 11, 9:30 AM
    We've used Ryanair loads of times in the past to travel from Glasgow Prestwick to Brussels, or to Stansted to travel onward to Venice, or directly into London. Annoyingy, they only fly to one destination (Derry) within the UK now, which we only found out when we tried to book a flight to London in November. Try booking from Glasgow to Prestwick to London Stansted from November onwards - you'll get a message with 6 bullet points which start with: Sorry, there are no available flights departing on the 01 November (Tuesday). This may be because:
    1. The flight you have chosen is full
    2. The route selected has not yet commenced operation, please ... ... ... bla bla bla bla bla.

Ryanair don't actually tell you within this section that they're not offering the service anymore! We live within a 10 minute drive of Prestwick Airport, and can't travel abroad due to ill-health, so we miss the UK flight offers. In our opinion Ryanair don't keep their public suitably informed unless they have to and, if you're not familiar with online booking system, you'd practically have to be a Philadelphia lawyer to make sure you're complying with their rules. Oh - and one more thing - the pay extra to board early system is a laugh. Recently, two people paid to board early and tried to keep another 6 seats for their friends who hadn't paid extra ... ... ...aye right! They hadn't bargained on us taking the seats they were keeping for their friends because we'd paid to board early too. After a wee bit of a stooshie (while the pilot looked on) the Ryanair hostess said we'd only paid to get on early - it didn't permit us to get the seat we wanted. 'Nuff said.
  • lclark
    Oh I so agree on the awful, hideous fanfare. Also the relentless advertising. The intercom always seems to be at ear-piercing frequency and volume. Even music on headphones can't drown it out. You get on and are then constantly assaulted by various messages. First about what overpriced, calorie laden, plastic tasting snacks you can buy, then the scratchcards you can buy, then the electronic cigarettes, the perfume and other tat and to top it all off the bloomin' fanfare. I absolutely hate flying with ryanair for these reasons and always disembark in a foul mood. Unfortunately I sometimes have no other choice because they are the only airline that fly from ireland to the european festival destinations that I attend every summer.
    First I got an electron card - I had to open a completely new, separate to my main, account to get it. Then I bought a pre-paid mastercard. Now I'm going to have no choice but to buy Ryanair's card. I would be delighted to boycott this horrible company but unfortunately that would mean cutting off my nose to spite my face. If I was ever to meet Mr. O'Leary in a pub I may just accidentally trip with a full pint in my hand.
    It makes my blood boil to read that Mr. O'Leary has commented that they're being fair!!!!!!!!!!!!!! or whatever the comment from the blog was, can't recall it exactly now.
  • Terabite
    So Ryanair is introducing its own pre-pay credit card. I already have one from a different provider and it costs me a fee to add funds (unless I go to a certain shop with cash). I wonder how much this load-up fee will be with Ryanair??
    How sneaky to advertise one thing then get caught out later. A bit like Martin saying on the blog, "This is an open discussion; anyone can post" and then finding out I need either a facebook or twitter account to add a comment !!!!
    Last edited by Terabite; 21-09-2011 at 11:07 AM.
  • Reglyss
    The worth for me is the not the price of options (which I consider normal service during a flight), or the hidden charges, it's more the fact that you pay for a service : flight from A to B and they pollute your flight with advertisement on speakers and stupid jingles (like we are on time ...) which are BTW very loud that if you are taking a nap as you do when going or coming back from a holiday will almost give you a heat attack!
  • bigviv
    ...a heat attack!
    Originally posted by Aurelie Sotousek
    that comes from the lack of air conditioning due to more cost saving
  • gfunkster
    Vouchers!!
    Very good point by Sandra Mcnally that the 6 payment fee' saved' using Ryainair's prepaid card is actually NOT SAVED, but charged at onset and then refunded in Ryanair VOUCHERS....its tactics like this which really sicken me as a consumer. I've never flown with Ryan air and dont think i ever will!
  • drymartini64
    They move the goalposts on payment because it generates headlines, and we all know that headlines generates passengers.

Nice bit of (free) marketing - very clever.

They'll move the goalposts again, maybe it'll be "Buy Ryan Air Vouchers 30 days in advance of the flight to get the discount".
    Originally posted by TechnoBoy

Its very simple really. Nowadays a lot of charter and even some scheduled flights are no dearer, taking every thing in to account. I know I used BA last time and of course it is a better airline.
    IF YOU DO NOT WALK then you have no one to blame but yourselves and Ryanaire will get worse, not better. I used them once, back in 2000 when it was still cheap, but never again.
    My partner is disabled and they treated her disgusting.
    • maggabi
    • By maggabi 21st Sep 11, 3:40 PM
    • 1 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    maggabi
    I agree - everything about Ryanair stinks. But the truth is that no other airline takes you to smaller cities around the Europe and that is - in my opinion - what keeps them alive. Over the years I learned to stick to Ryanair stinky rules, I get on the plane, don't even look at the crew, have a special backpack that fits perfectly in their special box, never excess the weight of my hand luggage - shortly - never give them any excuse to get frustrated. In the end of the day - the return journey sometimes costs me less than return journey from my house in Kent to London. Regarding booking fees - some airlines don't give you an option to use a specific type of card to avoid expensive booking fees. Ryanair does (mastercard prepaid). Although as from 1st November they will charge for using mastercard prepaid, they still give me an option to avoid the booking fees by using Ryanair Cash Passport. I don't know how to apply for it yet, but what else can I do?
    • Cardew
    • By Cardew 21st Sep 11, 6:46 PM
    • 27,973 Posts
    • 13,831 Thanks
    Cardew
    They work on the principle that 'there is no such thing as bad publicity.'
  • 2sides2everystory
    They work on the principle that 'there is no such thing as bad publicity.'
    Originally posted by Cardew
    Yes but they are wrong. It is true that the only publicity that has grown faster and is bigger than their reputation is that generated on MSE. And they can only control it by their own behaviour.

I suggest it is Ryanair who now frequently cut off their nose to spite their face.

They should shape up and behave like responsible adults.
    • callum9999
    • By callum9999 21st Sep 11, 8:14 PM
    • 3,950 Posts
    • 2,408 Thanks
    callum9999
    Yes but they are wrong. It is true that the only publicity that has grown faster and is bigger than their reputation is that generated on MSE. And they can only control it by their own behaviour.

I suggest it is Ryanair who now frequently cut off their nose to spite their face.

They should shape up and behave like responsible adults.
    Originally posted by 2sides2everystory
    You clearly never use them... virtually every flight I've been on has been packed.

The rules are incredibly easy to follow and the constant moaning really makes me worried at the lack of intelligence the UK public seem to have...

Pay with a pre-paid mastercard, take only hand luggage which is within the limits and print out your boarding pass. Only a complete moron would genuinely struggle with that.

As to in flight ambience. Go and fly with someone else, and leave ryanair to people who manage to cope with 4 short sales pitches.
  • 2sides2everystory
    I use them more than you do callum9999

I also think about Ryanair more than you do.

You can clearly make more intelligent judgements when you've experienced and thought more, so be my guest (when you're ready )
    Last edited by 2sides2everystory; 21-09-2011 at 8:47 PM.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

1,131Posts Today

5,802Users online

Martin's Twitter