Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • zippychick
    • By zippychick 4th Jun 11, 11:19 AM
    • 9,343Posts
    • 17,889Thanks
    zippychick
    September 2011 Grocery Challenge
    • 4th Jun 11, 11:19 AM
    September 2011 Grocery Challenge 4th Jun 11 at 11:19 AM
    Hi everyone,

Welcome to the ninth Grocery Challenge of 2011,

If your new month starts early feel free to join this thread, or if you're still working on your August budget, then keep on posting in the August 2011 Grocery Challenge

As always this challenge is to reduce your own grocery budget to levels that you will be pleased with, not forgetting that we always recommend that you stay inside your own comfort levels and take things gently one step at a time. Remember that this is not a competition....it's designed to take you and your grocery spending to a level you are happy with.

If you are new to the challenge I have quoted the advice from Galtizz below which will help you get started.

Please post into this thread for help and advice and support at any time. Good luck to everyone taking part!

I have said this before, but for all the newbies to the challenge;

For the first month I took a guess at the budget but I really had no idea how much I was spending.

I found the best thing is to have a guess the first month but SAVE ALL OF YOUR RECEIPTS (and yes, that does include the ones from the local shop when you run out of milk ), then at the end of the month add them all up and have a look if you were on budget, if not, it doesn't matter because your budget was a guess. For the next month you can use the total of your receipts and take a bit off to get a realistic budget, just shave off as much as you think you can, it could be 1 a week or 20 a week.

If you are currently spending 200 a month don't suddenly drop it to 100 - you'll never do it but if you cut 20 a month off for a few months you'll get there eventually without feeling you're missing out on anything.

You might think you've done everything you can in the first month but someone always comes up with a new idea and, if you try it you often find you save a bit more (unless you are SarahSaver who is an expert at this and could only save more if she turned her back garden into a paddy field and lived on rice ) In the first month I thought, I'm planning meals, I couldn't possibly save any more, but then I started double cooking and freezing, and making soup instead of buying it in tins.

I've been doing this since Feb but only saved ALL of my receipts last month, it has given me a much better idea of where it is all going. Budget for next month is 80 for 2 of us, I'll start on 30/4. I could probably save more, by eating different foods but I can afford to live on 80, I have saved a lot of money since Feb. and I don't waste food or money any more. So I'm happy with my budget.
    For quidelines on posting in this thread please read the second post in this thread.

For the Grocery challenge Recipe Index please see posts #3, #4, #5 and #6 on this thread.

I hope everyone has a great month!

Zip
    Last edited by zippychick; 31-08-2011 at 9:44 PM.
    A little nonsense now and then is relished by the wisest men
    Norn Iron club member #380

Page 32
  • TrixieB
    .................... and a flump.
    Originally posted by 76rosie
    That's made me proper lol

was hoping for a NSD day today but need to get some pork chops or chicken whichever is cheaper. Thought there was some in freezer but no.
    Trying very hard to be frugal and OS - just plodding on and doing my best!

• MummyEm
    • By MummyEm 14th Sep 11, 10:28 AM
    • 573 Posts
    • 5,144 Thanks
    MummyEm
    I haven't had time to catch up on the thread so I hope everyone's month is going well.

I've just been to Mr T. Only needed a few bits but ended up wandering around and buying more than I needed. It is all stuff we can use - lots for the freezer but I'm meant to be trying not to spend!!
    Spent 60.32 - 2 of which was for bday/xmas pressie box so 58.32 which I will add to my sig now.

I did get lots and lots of reduced fish so that should keep up going for a couple of months

I'm great at not spending if I'm not near shops so must avoid them for a good few days now!
    MFW original end date 295000 Nov 2039 currently 224,824.58 Jul 2035 Dream end date Nov 2025
    2017 Target EF 20,000/ 20,000 OP 2390.10/1900
    TOTAL OP 2014 1042.60 OP 2015 3357.75 OP 2016 6480.98 Family Loan 17000.00
    • runnerbean17
    • By runnerbean17 14th Sep 11, 11:15 AM
    • 279 Posts
    • 2,498 Thanks
    runnerbean17
    Spent 41.84 on Monday so now upto 114.49 Quite pleased with myself so far. Hasn't been too hard cause we are really skint his month any way. Must admit have been eating alot healthier and feel alot better for it, thank goodness for A*di and L*dl and their cheap fruit and veg
    Don't walk behind me; I may not lead. Don't walk in front of me; I may not follow. Just walk beside me and be my friend...

• Islandmaid
    • By Islandmaid 14th Sep 11, 1:15 PM
    • 3,101 Posts
    • 42,181 Thanks
    Islandmaid
    Hi all,

I have just received my approved foods order and I am ashamed of all the junk I have bought

I now own the worlds biggest selection of biscuits, sweets and crisps as well as an industrial quantiy of EV olive oil, several tonnes of complete dog food and enough malaysian curry sauce and chicken gravy to feed a small country

As I have said previously, I was intending to set up my own tuck shop style 2nd purse, and will do that - I now beleive I will be a millionaire by Christmas, even if I charge myself 20p an item

The downside - i have approx 150 to last till the end of the month on REAL food. - but as someone once said, if I run out of food - let them eat cake! (and crisps and biscuits)

Off to work out my explanation speach to the OH

PS either the dishwasher or the washing machine have blown my electric - as both full of water will have to wait for OH to come home to help me move them before I know which is broken (sockets behind them) - I hope its not fatal - would hate to loose either of them

Have a fantabulous day x
    Note to self - STOP SPENDING MONEY !!
    • cattysmum
    • By cattysmum 14th Sep 11, 3:03 PM
    • 1,256 Posts
    • 21,417 Thanks
    cattysmum
    Reporting a couple of spends today at Mr Ts couldn't resist the Special K glitch also some free soups spent 12.09, 2.64 and 8.98 at co-op on loo rolls and lager (with coupon of course!!) will update sig now!!!
    [B]SPC No. 295 - SPC No10 target 350
    #1603/
    SPC 2014 150/SPC 2015 256SPC 2016 324
    Saving for Florida 2018
    Matched betting toe dipper.
    • ixia
    • By ixia 14th Sep 11, 3:27 PM
    • 1,324 Posts
    • 5,413 Thanks
    ixia
    Hi everyone

update last few days shopping

Pleased with this shop went to Mr S for a few bits and was to pick up a couple of things for my mum so managed to use a coupon and used some rewards.

So for 5.01 I got:
    • coleslaw
    • potato salad
    • 4 packets potato wedges
    • 2 packs bacon
    • 2 tubs marg
    • pkt chicken skewers
    • pkt cheese and onion mini rolls
    • 9 pack andrex
    • 3 pack of teatowels
    • pkt quorn bacon
    Spent another 3.77 in Mr A and 3.98 in HB so total left for month is 159.23 still got a way to go to make it to the end of the month but fingers crossed.
    • FoxFace
    • By FoxFace 14th Sep 11, 4:08 PM
    • 282 Posts
    • 3,122 Thanks
    FoxFace
    Hi all, hope you are well

Just popping in to report another spend of 5.58 in Mr T's today... I came out without anything on my list (non grocery stuff that they, to my surprise, didn't sell anymore), but then again I didn't pay full price for a single item I bought... stocked up on a lot of broccoli, which was priced between 10-15p a bunch, and some buns for the boys packed lunches at 55p for 12... by the time my meat stockup arrives from my online order, I will not be able to fit a single thing in my freezer

Oh and I treated myself to a tub of Carte Dor Creme Cherry ice cream... that was on offer for 2 a tub, and after the past couple of days I bloomin well need it!
    Debt Free Wannabe 21.05.2017
    Total Starting Debt = 11,020.01p Currently: 7282.99p
    ~Grocery Challenge: May: 26.77p/350.00p~
    ~Fox's Vegan Recipes~

• sock-knitter
    popped mto the supermarket for bananas tea bags and milk, spent 5
    loves to knit and crochet for others
  • helen jelly
    Chocolate Fridge Cake

Warning - highly addictive and very lush!!

100gr unsalted butter [cubed]
    2 tbsp clear honey
    300gr dark chocolate [broken into squares]
    100gr milk chocolate [broken into squares]
    5 digestive biscuits [chopped]
    100gr mini marshmallows
    100gr macadamia halves

1. Put the butter, honey and choc into a bowl set over a pan of barely simmering water. Stir occasionally until the butter and choc have melted and the mixture is smooth - be careful not to overheat it.
    2. Take the bowl off the heat and stir in the rest of the ingredients
    3. Tip the mixture into an 18cm square tin [ideally one with a removable base] that you have lined with clingfilm. Leave to cool, then cover and chill for 2-3 hours or until firm and set.
    4. Remove the fridge cake from the tin, peel off the clingfilm and slice to serve.

Yum, yum

Recipe taken from Sainsburys Magazine

Helen
    Projects made for craft fair - 40
    1st fair on 13/4/14
  • rosieben
    helen, Chocolate Fridge Cake is now in the index <insert drooling smiley here>
    ... don't throw the string away. You always need string!

C.R.A.P.R.O.L.L.Z Head Sharpener
    • saving4life
    • By saving4life 14th Sep 11, 8:16 PM
    • 76 Posts
    • 547 Thanks
    saving4life
    Not many Nsd but have been frugal well for me. I have been budgeting weekly from Fridays so am going to try much harder this week. Although have ds2 birthday tea coming up. Local Sainsb's has closed for a week and am kicking myself that I missed out there.
    October Grocery Challenge 400
    • 76rosie
    • By 76rosie 14th Sep 11, 8:19 PM
    • 1,808 Posts
    • 32,272 Thanks
    76rosie
    spent 1.22 today. picked up the heinz chilli tomato sauce in mr m, 49p each used 25p moc x 5 and two sacla sauce, 1 pound moc x2. obviously picked up shreddies x 3 1 pound moc. Used 2 free campbells soup vouchers and 1 cranberry juice coupon on self scan, got some whoopsie donuts also. Took my sis with me, gave her free shreddies and coupons, so she was happy too. All SA nice too. So total 22.23/60.00. will be picking more tomorrow, anything i won't use, i give to friends who are having a tough time. You have to share the love!!!
    • recovering spendaholic
    • By recovering spendaholic 14th Sep 11, 8:24 PM
    • 3,049 Posts
    • 15,426 Thanks
    recovering spendaholic
    Cattysmum - what is the Special K glitch? I never seem to be able to get the glitches to work but I suppose there is always a first time!

Spent 6 on junk at Tesco because I was really really fed up - bought BOGOF licorice allsorts, baguettes, BBc Good Food Magazine and two of these chocolate nature bars on BOGOF at 2 for 1 and they were RANK!). Must be more disciplined!!
    Jane

ENDIS. Employed, no disposable income or savings!
    • FoxFace
    • By FoxFace 14th Sep 11, 8:36 PM
    • 282 Posts
    • 3,122 Thanks
    FoxFace
    Well, my T's online order has just arrived.... rofl!

The poor delivery guy was very confused when he pulled up in the van, in fact he confessed that he nearly phoned me beforehand because he considered an order that was completely meat to be "very strange". However, when I explained to him that I was just making the best use of the voucher I had by stocking my freezer, he said it was a great idea

It was like getting a big Xmas meat hamper... I may have been more excited than it was perhaps reasonable to be

So that's 39 exactly added to my total... not bad now I have nearly 70 of fresh meat stocked for the winter (they brought me beautiful quality too, very impressed with my picker today! :

Also, this means at the halfway point in the month we are pretty much halfway into budget, with a massive stock of food that should last weeks, if not months
    Debt Free Wannabe 21.05.2017
    Total Starting Debt = 11,020.01p Currently: 7282.99p
    ~Grocery Challenge: May: 26.77p/350.00p~
    ~Fox's Vegan Recipes~

• hex2
    • By hex2 14th Sep 11, 9:26 PM
    • 4,722 Posts
    • 80,174 Thanks
    hex2
    HelenJelly - the chocolate fridge cake is great stuff if rather addictive! As long as you keep the base proportions the same you can play about with the mix quite a lot - any broken biscuits work, shortbread for example is lovely, rice crispies, any nuts, dried fruit and so on. You can substitute syrup for the honey. Mars bars for the chocolate and so on if it happens to work out cheaper - 4 for 1 in the co-op at the moment.
    'If you have a garden and a library, you have everything you need' Marcus Tullius Cicero
    • Keith
    • By Keith 14th Sep 11, 9:45 PM
    • 2,817 Posts
    • 1,800 Thanks
    Keith
    Hi,

I'm new to this. My plan is to spend less than 100 per week, which we usually do by just a few p.

I've done our weekly shop on Asda, I've not been in there for years but will give it a try. I've ordered:-

2 weeks of nappies,
    dog food,
    cat food
    3 weeks of meat that can be frozen,
    1 weeks full shopping including lunch,
    Bin bags - Why are they so expensive?
    Loads of fruit and WW products for the wife
    Loo rolls

In total it came to 171, I had hoped for a lot less but the following two weeks we should be able to pick up the vegetables we need from Aldi cheap enough.

We'd usually spend each week around 50 in our local butchers & farm shop and then the same again at the supermarket.

I'm sat wondering if I should cancel the ASDA order and just go down to Aldi on Friday evening instead of Saturday morning delivery from ASDA.

Keith
    Last edited by Keith; 14-09-2011 at 9:55 PM.
    • Keith
    • By Keith 14th Sep 11, 10:52 PM
    • 2,817 Posts
    • 1,800 Thanks
    Keith
    I've cancelled the ASDA delivery, 5.50 is a lot for someone to grab stuff of the shelf.

When I get home on Friday, I'll spend some time with our daughter and have dinner before heading to Aldi at 7, then to the ASDA behind for the rest of the bits.

Over 3 for bin bags!

Means we have all weekend to then do family things rather than shopping.
    • recovering spendaholic
    • By recovering spendaholic 14th Sep 11, 10:57 PM
    • 3,049 Posts
    • 15,426 Thanks
    recovering spendaholic
    Hi,

I'm new to this. My plan is to spend less than 100 per week, which we usually do by just a few p.

I've done our weekly shop on Asda, I've not been in there for years but will give it a try. I've ordered:-

2 weeks of nappies,
    dog food,
    cat food
    3 weeks of meat that can be frozen,
    1 weeks full shopping including lunch,
    Bin bags - Why are they so expensive?
    Loads of fruit and WW products for the wife
    Loo rolls

In total it came to 171, I had hoped for a lot less but the following two weeks we should be able to pick up the vegetables we need from Aldi cheap enough.

We'd usually spend each week around 50 in our local butchers & farm shop and then the same again at the supermarket.

I'm sat wondering if I should cancel the ASDA order and just go down to Aldi on Friday evening instead of Saturday morning delivery from ASDA.

Keith
    Originally posted by Keith
    I don't know if you should cancel the order, but I do know that alot of things are much cheaper in Aldi - the bin bags are great value and are much better quality than anywhere else - I can't remember how much they are but think it is 2 quid odd for 30 giant ones. Aldi cleaning stuff - the bathroom and kitchen spray cleaners are BETTER than anything else and they smell really nice and clean too IYKWIM. I have never bought their dog food so can't compare. Aldi fruit and veg is hit and miss - you have to see what it is like on the day - sometimes I get lovely stuff and sometimes I prefer not to get it as it looks a bit tired - whenever I have bought it though, it has been nice. Their peppers are always cheaper (currently about 1 for three) and always okay, plus their onions are also good (red and white ones).

They obviously don't sell WW stuff, but farm foods sell the frozen WW ready meals and they are only 1 each, plus farm foods loo roll is well cheaper and good quality too - you get 18 rolls for 4 and it isn't cheap and thin like some cheap stuff. Their kitchen roll is excellent too - better than Plenty and only 1 for 2 rolls, but you have to buy 2 for 2.

I don't know about Nappies as my kids are teenagers, although they now cost me ALOT more each week than I ever paid out in nappies!!!

Good luck - it is definitely worth a trip to Aldi! - and Farm Foods if you have one near you.
    Jane

ENDIS. Employed, no disposable income or savings!
    • emmad5689
    • By emmad5689 15th Sep 11, 6:05 AM
    • 1,116 Posts
    • 13,850 Thanks
    emmad5689
    very expensive day today. Mr T, shreddies and wrights mix, sainsbob, cranberry juice, campbells soup, toilet block and an air freshner. Mr M, sacla sauces and a flump. Did buy somethings in Mr T but took them back when sels correct and not bogof but for some reason gained 50 p. Therefore grand total 56p. Total 22.01/60.00. Think i'm going to stock up, i can't normally afford posh sauces etc and do still have some 9p pasta!!
    Originally posted by 76rosie
    Hi, how much are the sacla sauces in mr m please, i'm going tomoro
    To get to Disneyland Florida 2016
    • blackandwhitebunny
    • By blackandwhitebunny 15th Sep 11, 6:20 AM
    • 489 Posts
    • 4,139 Thanks
    blackandwhitebunny
    I've had four nsd in a row till yesterday when I splashed out 30p on reduced rolls in Sainsbobs. (I'm not counting boxes of free cereal from Mr T) I'll have to spend today though as inlaws back from holiday and coming for dinner and I gave up trying to sort through the freezer when the frostbite got to my elbows
    I was off to conquer the world but I got distracted by something sparkly

Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

25Posts Today

3,560Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • Oh if only one were brave/honest enough to say "my mental health" - in answer to the weakness question. I say this? https://t.co/RyihpzwPdY

• Been out with the little one, just got back and turned the #c4debate on. What have i missed? Who is winning?

• It's the weekend, it's the weekend, yay. It's that moment, when as usual, to sign off for family time. So I bid y? https://t.co/2RYRnz3fEe

• Follow Martin