Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Former MSE Helen
    • By Former MSE Helen 13th Sep 11, 6:22 PM
    • 2,324Posts
    • 971Thanks
    Former MSE Helen
    0 WOW
    MSE News: Ryanair 'sticks two fingers up at passengers' with new card fees
    • 13th Sep 11, 6:22 PM
    0 WOW
    MSE News: Ryanair 'sticks two fingers up at passengers' with new card fees 13th Sep 11 at 6:22 PM
    This is the discussion thread for the following MSE News Story:

"Ryanair will make it even harder to avoid fees by only waiving the 12 charge for passengers with the airline's plastic ..."

Page 1
    • gadgetmind
    • By gadgetmind 13th Sep 11, 6:36 PM
    • 10,918 Posts
    • 8,907 Thanks
    gadgetmind
    • 13th Sep 11, 6:36 PM
    • 13th Sep 11, 6:36 PM
    Vote with your wallets; if everyone stops flying with Ryanair they will be forced to mend their ways.
    • kerri gt
    • By kerri gt 13th Sep 11, 6:39 PM
    • 7,999 Posts
    • 53,485 Thanks
    kerri gt
    • 13th Sep 11, 6:39 PM
    There's plenty of other airlines who will happily ke the business from Ryan Air, any incentive to fly with them despite being herded like cattle is rapidly being deminished as their flights get more and more expensive. I know I'll be looking at other airline options. Ryan Air is biting the hands that feed them.
    Feb 2015 NSD Challenge 8/12
    JAN NSD 11/16

• FATBALLZ
    Everyone knows this is how ryanair works, this isn't a story. It was obvious that once enough people got the obscure electron card they'd switch the free payment mechanism to something else.

If you don't like it don't use them. They won't miss you.
  • KTM Gordo
    • 13th Sep 11, 6:42 PM
    • 13th Sep 11, 6:42 PM
    Everyone moans about Ryanair, but people still fly with them. People like 'cheap' - they're obsessed with low price.

We know that Ryanair add 6 to each flight, plus a fee if you want to actually fly, but if they fly where we want to go at the right time and for a price we are happy with, we'll still fly Ryanair.

Yes, the card fees are unfair but they're hardly a secret.

If you don't like it, fly with another airline, take the ferry or book a coach - all of which charge card fees.
    • gadgetmind
    • By gadgetmind 13th Sep 11, 6:45 PM
    • 10,918 Posts
    • 8,907 Thanks
    gadgetmind
    • 13th Sep 11, 6:45 PM
    • 13th Sep 11, 6:45 PM
    They won't miss you.
    Originally posted by FATBALLZ
    One day, they will have their Ratner moment. Maybe it's today?
    • glider3560
    • By glider3560 13th Sep 11, 6:51 PM
    • 3,792 Posts
    • 2,470 Thanks
    glider3560
    • 13th Sep 11, 6:51 PM
    • 13th Sep 11, 6:51 PM
    I really don't care whether the price of the flight is 30 or 24+6 fee or 1+29 fee. However, the fee must be clear at all stages of the booking (i.e. as soon as it starts talking figures).

• gadgetmind
    • By gadgetmind 13th Sep 11, 6:54 PM
    • 10,918 Posts
    • 8,907 Thanks
    gadgetmind
    • 13th Sep 11, 6:54 PM
    • 13th Sep 11, 6:54 PM
    Everyone moans about Ryanair, but people still fly with them.
    Originally posted by KTM Gordo
    I'd rather crawl to my destination than fly with Ryanair. This isn't snobbery just a demand that companies respect their customers. No respect, no custom. End of.
  • Money-girl
    • 13th Sep 11, 6:57 PM
    • 13th Sep 11, 6:57 PM
    I just got Prepaid Mastercard especially to use when paying for Ryanair tickets! I have used it only once so far. I can't believe they are changing the rules again! I wonder if you have to pay a fee to obtain this new Ryanair card. Ryanair is really discouraging me from buying their services.

On the other hand they are still one of the cheapest services. It's just very annoying when you about to buy cheap tickets and they add up compulsory fees. It's NOT like it's going to make a difference but it's just annoying!
    • latinaid
    • By latinaid 13th Sep 11, 6:58 PM
    • 104 Posts
    • 182 Thanks
    latinaid
    I really don't care whether the price of the flight is 30 or 24+6 fee or 1+29 fee. However, the fee must be clear at all stages of the booking (i.e. as soon as it starts talking figures).
    Originally posted by glider3560
    In a way I agree with you BUT the point is that the fee should be exactly that - a fee for choosing to pay in a certain way.The OFT have said that there should be one way of paying which enables the buyer to avoid a fee. It's clear that Ryanair don't consider this a fee, but part of the ticket price.

Personally I find low-cost airlines very stressful, and am willing to pay a little bit more so that I don't have to keep discovering new hoops to jump through.
    • maz1964
    • By maz1964 13th Sep 11, 7:04 PM
    • 876 Posts
    • 2,828 Thanks
    maz1964
    hiya

well unfortunately to the south of italy they are the ones that have direct flights, but this year we drove and though it was 1600 miles each way it was refreshing and soooooooooo much cheaper for our family and we brought back more stuff so fab really for us and now

so with all these other charges now and only able to take 15 kilos baggage allowance, cheerio airline, we are driving to italy from now on

fly with them if its convenient otherwise vote with your bookings elsewhere

cheap is only cheap if its also convenient to you

ciao maz
    Sealed Pot Challenge member 1525

"Knowledge is the Power to get Debt Free"

Truecall device, stops all the unneccesary phone calls - my sanity has been restored and the peace in the house is truely priceless!
    • worriedfirsttimebuyer
    • By worriedfirsttimebuyer 13th Sep 11, 7:06 PM
    • 303 Posts
    • 264 Thanks
    worriedfirsttimebuyer
    So they still make you pay the 6, but then give you it back as a 'voucher' presumably to be used onboard? Have I got this right?
    • MSE Martin
    • By MSE Martin 13th Sep 11, 7:14 PM
    • 8,115 Posts
    • 42,285 Thanks
    MSE Martin
    I've always been supportive of ryanair. I think additional charges for baggage are fine. They are very cheap if you book right.

I don't care if they want to add a charge, they are dirt cheap, yet its now got to the point where this paymetn fee needs to be incorporated into their advertised price. That's the issue here.
    Martin Lewis, Money Saving Expert.
    Please note, answers don't constitute financial advice, it is based on generalised journalistic research. Always ensure any decision is made with regards to your own individual circumstance.

Don't miss out on urgent MoneySaving, get my weekly e-mail at www.moneysavingexpert.com/tips.

Debt-Free Wannabee Official Nerd Club: (Honorary) Members number 000
    • S0litaire
    • By S0litaire 13th Sep 11, 7:23 PM
    • 3,482 Posts
    • 2,200 Thanks
    S0litaire
    Don't the pre-paid cards not come with a monthly fee to use them?
    I was going to get one a couple of years ago but looking at the T&C's it said you get charged 5 month or something like that!

If they do charge a monthly fee then I wonder how much Ryainair gets of those charges!
    Laters

Sol

"Have you found the secrets of the universe? Asked Zebade "I'm sure I left them here somewhere"
    • malkie76
    • By malkie76 13th Sep 11, 7:24 PM
    • 5,691 Posts
    • 6,737 Thanks
    malkie76
    The payment fees are still avoidable. Even with the fees they are still mostly cheaper than the competition.
    RyanAir are merely playing the game - the issue is the rules on price advertising.

Always worth remembering that you always get to see the final price before pushing confirm.
    • liz545
    • By liz545 13th Sep 11, 7:25 PM
    • 1,713 Posts
    • 16,706 Thanks
    liz545
    Are Ryanair even cheap anymore? It seems there's a new surcharge announced every week, and to be honest, I don't believe their headline prices - they never work out that cheap when I'm looking to book flights. The impression they give me is an overpriced, customer-unfriendly bunch of money grubbers, and I prefer not to fly with them. I only have one holiday a year - I don't want to spend it feeling like I'm being screwed by my airline!
    2015 comp wins - 370.25
    Recent wins: gym class, baby stuff
    Thanks to everyone who posts freebies and comps!
    • glider3560
    • By glider3560 13th Sep 11, 7:31 PM
    • 3,792 Posts
    • 2,470 Thanks
    glider3560
    Are Ryanair even cheap anymore?
    Originally posted by liz545
    Yes, they are. We've booked flights to Pisa in October for 70 (for two people) including one 15kg suitcase.

Even with a 6 fee (i.e. extra 24), the price is still a bargain.

• apt
    • By apt 13th Sep 11, 7:34 PM
    • 3,087 Posts
    • 1,750 Thanks
    apt
    Ryanair will even throw in a threat to arrest passengers free of charge. http://menmedia.co.uk/manchestereveningnews/news/s/1458568_ryanair-passenger-threatened-with-arrest-after-she-refused-to-leave-overbooked-holiday-flight-to-manchester?page_size=25#comments
    • beefturnmail
    • By beefturnmail 13th Sep 11, 7:39 PM
    • 803 Posts
    • 268 Thanks
    beefturnmail
    4 years ago i was left stranded in Salzburg at 11pm with no accommodation in the pouring rain (and then a 6 month battle to get them to reimburse my expenses). I vowed never to fly Ryanair again and stuck to this. Pay peanuts, get monkeys, but now it's gold-plated peanuts!
    • glider3560
    • By glider3560 13th Sep 11, 7:40 PM
    • 3,792 Posts
    • 2,470 Thanks
    glider3560
    Had she been offloaded, she could've claimed 250 compensation!

Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

2,212Posts Today

7,383Users online

Martin's Twitter