Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • zippychick
    • By zippychick 4th Jun 11, 11:19 AM
    • 9,343Posts
    • 17,889Thanks
    zippychick
    September 2011 Grocery Challenge
    • 4th Jun 11, 11:19 AM
    September 2011 Grocery Challenge 4th Jun 11 at 11:19 AM
    Hi everyone,

Welcome to the ninth Grocery Challenge of 2011,

If your new month starts early feel free to join this thread, or if you're still working on your August budget, then keep on posting in the August 2011 Grocery Challenge

As always this challenge is to reduce your own grocery budget to levels that you will be pleased with, not forgetting that we always recommend that you stay inside your own comfort levels and take things gently one step at a time. Remember that this is not a competition....it's designed to take you and your grocery spending to a level you are happy with.

If you are new to the challenge I have quoted the advice from Galtizz below which will help you get started.

Please post into this thread for help and advice and support at any time. Good luck to everyone taking part!

I have said this before, but for all the newbies to the challenge;

For the first month I took a guess at the budget but I really had no idea how much I was spending.

I found the best thing is to have a guess the first month but SAVE ALL OF YOUR RECEIPTS (and yes, that does include the ones from the local shop when you run out of milk ), then at the end of the month add them all up and have a look if you were on budget, if not, it doesn't matter because your budget was a guess. For the next month you can use the total of your receipts and take a bit off to get a realistic budget, just shave off as much as you think you can, it could be 1 a week or 20 a week.

If you are currently spending 200 a month don't suddenly drop it to 100 - you'll never do it but if you cut 20 a month off for a few months you'll get there eventually without feeling you're missing out on anything.

You might think you've done everything you can in the first month but someone always comes up with a new idea and, if you try it you often find you save a bit more (unless you are SarahSaver who is an expert at this and could only save more if she turned her back garden into a paddy field and lived on rice ) In the first month I thought, I'm planning meals, I couldn't possibly save any more, but then I started double cooking and freezing, and making soup instead of buying it in tins.

I've been doing this since Feb but only saved ALL of my receipts last month, it has given me a much better idea of where it is all going. Budget for next month is 80 for 2 of us, I'll start on 30/4. I could probably save more, by eating different foods but I can afford to live on 80, I have saved a lot of money since Feb. and I don't waste food or money any more. So I'm happy with my budget.
    For quidelines on posting in this thread please read the second post in this thread.

For the Grocery challenge Recipe Index please see posts #3, #4, #5 and #6 on this thread.

I hope everyone has a great month!

Zip
    Last edited by zippychick; 31-08-2011 at 9:44 PM.
    A little nonsense now and then is relished by the wisest men
    Norn Iron club member #380

Page 30
  • Puzzledbubbles
    NSD 6 for me yesterday, that was because i forced myself to stay in though so i didnt go out and buy chocolate lol.

Am making a quiche this morning which im hoping will do OH for work lunches for the rest of the week and us at least 1 main meal, maybe more.

Also thinking i might attempt fruit filled scones (OH loves the berry scones in Starbucks) am going to play and see what happens - probably a mess but hey, its worth a try
  • TrixieB
    puzzledbubbles, the best scones I ever made were from the tv show 4 ingredients - sounds mad but it was just flour, cream and diet 7up!
    http://uktv.co.uk/food/recipe/aid/631496

Rosieben gosh you were up early, or perhaps up late still lol?

Need to go to work today so will do some shopping at Tesco while am there and get a taxi back rather than do an online shop I think, the taxi fare would be what the delivery charge is anyway but means I can get some reducedies too hopefully. Also need to get a cheapo mixing bowl for a kiddies cooking hamper am planning and see if there are any baking/decorating bits reduced still - or was that Asda those were in?
    Last edited by TrixieB; 13-09-2011 at 8:14 AM.
    Trying very hard to be frugal and OS - just plodding on and doing my best!

• Sulevia
    Just checking in after a few days ... been to a conference so spent more than I would normally have done. Some of it I can get back on expenses so I haven't included that in my spend update.
    Anyway, I've updated my signature. Still got 2 weeks to go on the budget.

• Savvy sewing
    • By Savvy sewing 13th Sep 11, 9:00 AM
    • 10,808 Posts
    • 56,813 Thanks
    Savvy sewing
    Another 6.04 spent in the tesco express this morning!. My veg box has arrived, but already allowed for that in my totals.
    Bread, Eggs, milk, tomatoes, saladmix. (I also spent another 3 on some flowers to cheer myself up as been unwell).
    Time to get on! Need to sew.
    When I die I will know that I have lived, loved, mattered and made a difference, even if in a small way.
    • kahunababy
    • By kahunababy 13th Sep 11, 9:00 AM
    • 165 Posts
    • 995 Thanks
    kahunababy
    Morning all, managed a much needed NSD yesterday!

Just wanted to ask a quick question, someone mentioned earlier that they use condensed soup to make pasta bakes. Can you please tell me how! We love pasta bakes in our house but I always just buy the jars as I'm not the greatest cook in the world but I would really love to give them a go.

Steak Chibatta (sp?) for DH & I tonight
    Fish Fingers, waffles & sweetcorn for DS's
    Don't normally give the kids that sort of food but have decided that once every couple of week won't hurt them and they see it as a treat. Also means DH and I can have a grown up meal all by ourselves. Busy night tonight with Cubs and a school visit to find out what they will be doing this coming year so a quick easy meal will work well.

Thanks
    xKBx
    Just little old me!
    • Naomim
    • By Naomim 13th Sep 11, 9:25 AM
    • 1,226 Posts
    • 2,941 Thanks
    Naomim
    Blimey I can't keep up with this thread! lol

Popped round town with DD yesterday, did a couple of small shops in Wilko's & A*da but haven't got receipts with me. I'll say it's about 28 so making my final figure for my AUG/SEPT spend 301.

The idea was if I was under budget to put it towards my credit cards, however we somehow seem to be hugely overdrawn this month so no extra's being paid off this month.

I'm also doing weight watchers so am off now to look for some hm soup recipes.

Naomi x
    CC's Nov16 18,609.97 / Jun17 21032.03 Overdraft 06/17 4577.44 07/17 4505.35
    Aiming for a debt free date: April 2024
    2 savings club #26 lost count but still collecting!
    Here's my diary: A Ditherer's Diary Again
    • Save Dosh
    • By Save Dosh 13th Sep 11, 9:31 AM
    • 1,329 Posts
    • 15,828 Thanks
    Save Dosh
    ok just updating spends. just had a tesco delivery for 18.97, plus gave the driver a 2 tip, so that is 20.97. Budget creeping up on me, but i think i can still come in on budget, as this food will last a week, just need to get inventive with the freezer
    August GC - Food 55.56/80 Alcohol 17.24/20
    Bulk Funds - Food 19.73
    -
    Save 12k in 2019 1,300/5,000 - #155
  • choclover
    Checking in after about a week, just added everything thing up and we're already over our budget! Had a delivery from Mr A on Monday, that was 90.32 and bought some stuff from the local which was 23 and something (which included some cigarettes for Hubby), so total so far takes me to 431.79!!! and still two weeks worth of food to buy! I think at the end of the month we'll probably have spent a whooping 550, it's amazing how it all adds up. One thing I have noticed though is loads of people are posting they're getting loads of money off vouchers, which is one thing we never seem to get (although we did get 2.11 voucher for next time from MRa as they weren't 10% cheaper), maybe because we do most of our shopping online I don't know, maybe need to start shopping from MrT instead, which we haven't done for over a year as we absolutely hate our closet one as its extremely busy and we end up spending two hours in there, but maybe if I did it online it wouldn't be as bad.

Considering it's our first month of really tracking what we spend on food, I don't think we've done so bad as it's included stuff like the odd take away, hubbys cigarettes, ready meals for when I'm at work and nappies.

We've got quite a lot of meat still in the freezer and plenty in the cupboards, so it's really just fresh stuff to get for the rest of the month.

Next month won't be as bad (i'm hoping!) as we're on holiday for nearly two weeks and what we spend on food for the holiday is coming out of the holiday budget, and it's only a four week month for us, so thinking I'll stick to my target I was going to set anyway despite going over this month and will definitely try MrT next month and see how we get on.
    2013 in 2013 866.71/2013
    DF by Xmas 2013 #027841.28/6000 (14.02%) 12/2
    DFD February 2015 2,303.63/19,520.26 (11.80%)
  • choclover
    Woohoo!!! Just checked my old Clubcard account and I have 4.50 worth of vouchers not used!
    2013 in 2013 866.71/2013
    DF by Xmas 2013 #027841.28/6000 (14.02%) 12/2
    DFD February 2015 2,303.63/19,520.26 (11.80%)
    • meg72
    • By meg72 13th Sep 11, 11:11 AM
    • 5,082 Posts
    • 46,072 Thanks
    meg72
    Hoping for a NSD today - have just made a giant pan of lentil and vegetable soup and it is yummy! I just threw a packet of chopped carrot and swede (reduced to 10p in Asda), two chopped onions, a cup of lentils, couple of chopped sticks of celery, some thyme and three chicken stock cubes in a pan and covered with water and simmered for 2 hours, then added a knob of butter and some black pepper and blended with stick blender until smoother but still a bit chunky IYKWIM. It is so nice I am having it for my lunch now at 11.45 - it's really filling too and there will be loads to freeze once kids have had some after school.

I need to do some baking for lunchboxes but I want to try and make something which is a bit healthy - will have a look through the recipe index in a bit.

Tea tonight will be pork steaks with hm wedges and salad/beans (DD1 won't eat beans and DD2 won't eat salad).
    Originally posted by recovering spendaholic
    Great recipe thanks,Ilove lentil soup and some times if I have it add
    somecooking bacon.

Lentilsare on roll back in Asda at 74p 500 grams cheapest I have
    seen for sometime.

I am going to get a few of these in as best before date is May 2013.
    Slimming World at target
  • rosieben
    ... Rosieben gosh you were up early, or perhaps up late still lol? ...
    Originally posted by TrixieB
    I'm an insomnizzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

... don't throw the string away. You always need string!

C.R.A.P.R.O.L.L.Z Head Sharpener
    • FoxFace
    • By FoxFace 13th Sep 11, 11:26 AM
    • 298 Posts
    • 3,190 Thanks
    FoxFace
    NSD for me today

Just on lunch break from work (am loving being back in employment)... I am really thinking this full time employment malarky will give me more NSD's as I just don't have time to shop... it will be forward planning all the way, out of sheer necessity!

Chicken... something for dinner tonight, maybe I'll just bung it in with some value curry sauce and a portion of rice... after a full day of trying to get my head around benefit legislation, I likely won't have the energy for much else
    Debt Free Wannabe 21.05.2017
    Total Starting Debt = 11,020.01p Currently: 6203.07p
    ~Grocery Challenge August: 0.00/ 80.00p : NSD: 5 ~
    ~Fox's Vegan Recipes~

• angelatgraceland
    • By angelatgraceland 13th Sep 11, 11:37 AM
    • 3,318 Posts
    • 23,074 Thanks
    angelatgraceland
    Morning
    mr t gave me another till spit 9 off a 60. Do I go mad and stock up (but risk blowing the budget) or ignore it and buy what I need? Decisions decisions.
    Made some little sponge cakes with ds and dd and added a handful of raisins. Dd loves them. Have to pick out the raisins for ds! Lol, story of my life.

Hugs to all who need them x
    Originally posted by TheThriftyScrumpers
    Well I make that a 15% saving and I would use it but very wisely on stockcupboard items and very good offers, bogofs etc.
    9 worth of free groceries sounds good to me. I have the same dilemma-neighbour gave me one for 12 off 60-well-I guess I am going to have to use it! It will paybck later after all.

Just knocked up some more soup for soup fans! One large onion, one large carrot,one large potato and 2 free apples off my tree. About 2 litres of boiling water and 2 chicken stock cubes or veg ones-I used chicken as I also used a third of my frozen chicken stock from the last lot I froze(I need the freezer space). Eating the last of my herby bread which doesn't bloat me out like the real breads with yeast in-I will pop the recipe on later!
    Annual Grocery budget 2018 is 1500 pa 125 calendar month 28.84 pw for 3 adults
  • TrixieB
    just spent 12.15 in Tesco -
    4x instant custard 24p
    6x Hartley's jelly pots - 3 for a 1 - 2
    tattie scones 45p
    pitta breads 49p
    huge bag demerera sugar 2.99
    3 large scotch eggs 99p
    freezer bags 62p
    foil 80p
    3 large onions 89
    cheese singles 39p

This morning I parboiled up my reduced potatoes from last night and have now portioned them up and frozen them, I have to grate 2kg of carrots, some will be used for coleslaw, some for carrot cake and rest for soup, then need to shred onions and red cabbage to make the coleslaw for OH lunches, make the soup and freeze it up and then make the carrot cakes if I have the energy. Am having a relatively good day today so trying as usual to cram as much in as possible!!
    Spaghetti carbonara for tea.

• quintwins
    • By quintwins 13th Sep 11, 12:13 PM
    • 5,058 Posts
    • 29,569 Thanks
    quintwins
    Well I make that a 15% saving and I would use it but very wisely on stockcupboard items and very good offers, bogofs etc.
    9 worth of free groceries sounds good to me. I have the same dilemma-neighbour gave me one for 12 off 60-well-I guess I am going to have to use it! It will paybck later after all.

!
    Originally posted by angelatgraceland
    i'm the same i had reduced my budget this month but after recieveing a 9 off 60 voucher i bumped it back up i did a shop online then wrote it as a list itcontains very few fresh items but alot of tins and noodles and gravy that i know will be used anyway after all it would be rude to turn down 9 of free food, thats 4 dinners and atleats one if not 2 lunches free
    OCT GC 196.12/200
    • sproggi
    • By sproggi 13th Sep 11, 12:41 PM
    • 1,517 Posts
    • 6,376 Thanks
    sproggi
    NSD for me again.

DS1 asked me to take him shopping in Mr T's last night and I was so chuffed with myself because I resisted buying anything, mind you, I did enjoy helping DS1 spend his money on the offers

Sproggi
    'We can get over being poor, but it takes longer to get over being ignorant'
    Jane Sequichie Hifler
    Beware of little expenses.A small leak will sink a great ship
    Benjamin Franklin
    • recovering spendaholic
    • By recovering spendaholic 13th Sep 11, 1:06 PM
    • 3,049 Posts
    • 15,426 Thanks
    recovering spendaholic
    Morning all, managed a much needed NSD yesterday!

Just wanted to ask a quick question, someone mentioned earlier that they use condensed soup to make pasta bakes. Can you please tell me how! We love pasta bakes in our house but I always just buy the jars as I'm not the greatest cook in the world but I would really love to give them a go.

Steak Chibatta (sp?) for DH & I tonight
    Fish Fingers, waffles & sweetcorn for DS's
    Don't normally give the kids that sort of food but have decided that once every couple of week won't hurt them and they see it as a treat. Also means DH and I can have a grown up meal all by ourselves. Busy night tonight with Cubs and a school visit to find out what they will be doing this coming year so a quick easy meal will work well.

Thanks
    xKBx
    Originally posted by kahunababy
    I use the condensed soup to make pasta bakes - the recipe that I use is an old one which I got from an American book ages ago:

Tuna Pasta Bake

1 tin Campbells condensed celery soup
    380g dried pasta, boiled until just cooked
    3/4 pint of milk (any kind - I use semi-skimmed)
    seasoning - I use salt, black pepper and a pinch of dried herbs)
    2 level tbs flour
    2 tins tuna
    8 tuc, ritz or similar crackers, crushed
    2oz grated cheese

It is very simple to make - just put the boiled pasta in a casserole dish and stir through the tuna. Mix the milk, flour, seasoning and soup together and pour over the pasta. Top with the grated cheese and crackers mixed and bake at 160 for 40 minutes. It's lovely! If I don't have any crackers I just whizz a piece of bread in the processor and lightly fry it in a tiny bit of butter and add a bit of salt and mix that with the grated cheese.

You can make any kind of pasta bake using the same sauce recipe and 380g dried pasta. I use the mushroom soup and add diced ham and a few fried mushrooms, or tomato soup and add peppers and onions, or vegetable soup and add peppers, courgettes, onions etc which I have fried first in a little oil and balsamic vinegar - use stock not milk to make up the liquid in the veg one though. I also use the mushroom one and add chicken (the chicken soup is rank IMO!) too.

Another favourite recipe in our house is what we call "Hurry Curry"

Hurry Curry

500g minced turkey or pork
    1 chopped apple
    1 chopped onion
    2tbs mango chutney
    2 tbs sultanas
    1tsp sugar or sweetner
    1 tbs cider vingear (or any vinegar)
    1 chicken stock cube dissolved in half a cup of hot water
    1 dsp curry powder
    1 dsp dried corriander leaf
    juice of half a lemon
    half a small carton natural yoghurt mixed with 1 tsp cornflour
    1 tsp oil

this is really simple - just brown the mince in the tsp oil, and throw in the apple and onion and cook until the onions and apples are soft and the mince is starting to get nice and brown. Then add the sultanas, sugar, vinegar, mango chutney,curry powder, corriander, lemon juice, salt and pepper and the natural yoghurt and cornflour. Cook until sauce thickens - there isn't alot of sauce because that's the way I like it. We have it on naan bread, with a bit of home made raita (made with the other half of the natural yoghurt and cucumber and a tiny bit of mint sauce) and/or mango chutney.

Was hoping for a NSD today but had to give DD2 3 as we overslept and she didn't have time to have any breakfast.

Dinner tonight is chicken curry with naan and rice, and I have some Cornetto type thingies in the freezer which they can have for afters.
    Jane

ENDIS. Employed, no disposable income or savings!
  • rosieben
    recovering spendaholic, I've added your Tuna Pasta Bake and Hurry Curry recipes to the front page index
    ... don't throw the string away. You always need string!

C.R.A.P.R.O.L.L.Z Head Sharpener
    • kahunababy
    • By kahunababy 13th Sep 11, 3:23 PM
    • 165 Posts
    • 995 Thanks
    kahunababy
    Thank you for the recipes. I am going to pop some condensed soup on my list. As for the hurry curry, the ingredients read like a list of what's in my storecupboard, we have everything in for that so it might just be making an outing this weekend. thanks again x
    Just little old me!
  • TrixieB
    Made the coleslaw - quarter red cabbage, one large onion, 4 large carrots all grated in foodpro and added half salad cream and half mayo and salt and pepper - it's made LOADS.

The other 3/4 red cabbage is in the oven braising with dememera sugar, apples, onions, red wine vinegar, dried cranberries, splash of soy sauce, splash of worcester sauce, cinnamon, salt and pepper - in the oven for an hour or two covered with foil. Will freeze most of it but leave enough out to go with sausages or something tomorrow

Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

718Posts Today

6,550Users online

Martin's Twitter