Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Former MSE Helen
    • By Former MSE Helen 12th Sep 11, 4:29 PM
    • 2,324Posts
    • 971Thanks
    Former MSE Helen
    MSE News: UK texts cost more than EU roaming caps
    • 12th Sep 11, 4:29 PM
    MSE News: UK texts cost more than EU roaming caps 12th Sep 11 at 4:29 PM
    This is the discussion thread for the following MSE News Story:

"It can cost more to send a text to someone a few metres away in the UK than over hundreds of miles when in Europe ..."

Page 1
  • drbesty
    • 12th Sep 11, 4:47 PM
    • 12th Sep 11, 4:47 PM
    Most people have unlimited texts or text bundles, I havent paid to send a text in years
    • grumbler
    • By grumbler 12th Sep 11, 4:53 PM
    • 51,718 Posts
    • 21,937 Thanks
    grumbler
    • 12th Sep 11, 4:53 PM
    • 12th Sep 11, 4:53 PM
    Hardly a surprise when such anti-market mechanisms are used by Brussels' bureaucrats to regulate a market economy.
    We are born naked, wet and hungry...Then things get worse.

.withdrawal, NOT withdrawel ..bear with me, NOT bare with me
    .definitely, NOT definately ......separate, NOT seperate
    should have, NOT should of
    .....guaranteed, NOT guarenteed
    • jhp
    • By jhp 12th Sep 11, 4:54 PM
    • 2,248 Posts
    • 769 Thanks
    jhp
    • 12th Sep 11, 4:54 PM
    • 12th Sep 11, 4:54 PM
    Most people have unlimited texts or text bundles, I havent paid to send a text in years
    Originally posted by drbesty
    So you get free bundles then ?
  • drbesty
    • 12th Sep 11, 5:03 PM
    • 12th Sep 11, 5:03 PM
    If you have a mobile contract it will come with a text bundle, I can't think of a contract that comes with no texts
    • Stuart_W
    • By Stuart_W 12th Sep 11, 5:22 PM
    • 1,448 Posts
    • 696 Thanks
    Stuart_W
    • 12th Sep 11, 5:22 PM
    • 12th Sep 11, 5:22 PM
    If you have a mobile contract it will come with a text bundle, I can't think of a contract that comes with no texts
    Yes, and it won't be a free monthly contract, will it? Most phone users will pay for texts - either individually or in a monthly amount. There are only a few exceptions where genuinely free texts (exclusing the cashback route) are possible (Orange OutHere for life, and BTCellent's Pay Upfront for Life spring to mind, both pretty old now).

Being on a contract does not exclude you from rip-off text rates.

If you are on a monthly contract and exhaust you inclusive minutes or texts your are very likely to pay above the EU caps for domestic calls and texts - 15p texts and 25p-35p calls, or there abouts, are getting more and more common with the main networks. Virgin has jumped to a whopping 40p per minute (making calls home when abroad actually cheaper).
    Last edited by Stuart_W; 12-09-2011 at 5:26 PM.
  • flexrider
    • 12th Sep 11, 5:53 PM
    Yes, and it won't be a free monthly contract, will it? Most phone users will pay for texts - either individually or in a monthly amount. There are only a few exceptions where genuinely free texts (exclusing the cashback route) are possible (Orange OutHere for life, and BTCellent's Pay Upfront for Life spring to mind, both pretty old now).

Being on a contract does not exclude you from rip-off text rates.

If you are on a monthly contract and exhaust you inclusive minutes or texts your are very likely to pay above the EU caps for domestic calls and texts - 15p texts and 25p-35p calls, or there abouts, are getting more and more common with the main networks. Virgin has jumped to a whopping 40p per minute (making calls home when abroad actually cheaper).
    Originally posted by Stuart_W
    Questionable Point made however free text is free in this country so i do not understand the whole agurement here on EU and Britian text's i suppose being a extensive tourist and travel alot every year on work reasons Id would take a Sim ONly PAUG Phone and Top up 100 Quid on it whist away of UK and leave my Uk number airtime at home But like my tariff States "Unlimited Text" Meaning my text are Free withinn the UK.

i know sometimes most come with that term Unlimited But my Tariff is a online tariff an i check my bill every month for additional charges. "So-Far-So-good".

Contracts states the following for anyone intrested in this story what i assume the forum team are talking about is this clause

as stated off vodafones websites T&C

Free texts are texts sent as a standard person to person text message to any UK mobile phone network, whilst within the UK. No premium rate text services are included. Texts must be for private, non-commercial use and not for messages sent by automated means or from any device other than your mobile phone. All other text messages will be charged at their standard rates.

This offer is subject at all times to a fair usage policy each month of 3000 text messages. Usage above this will be automatically charged at your price plan rate.

We will notify you by text message when you reach this limit. We may withdraw the reward from your account or disconnect your SIM card if the fair usage policy is consistently reached,

if daily usage is deemed to be excessive, or if we suspect the offer is being exploited for commercial benefit.

I wonder how the Mobile Giants will squeeze out of the contract on your point when the fine Print states Free Text messenging upon beginning of contract. I know from watching WatchDog Virgin(Which is really T-mobile anyway for Mobile Providings) where shown doing this in past but lets look at the subjective point,

Like i have illustrated on my own tariff i need to use over 3000 texts to be accountable for charges for my own text which is possible but I would never do,Since i am a talker and not a Texter anyway.

However, on that note
    I would love to see some changes to the whole charges and hopefully see the big telecoms realising that Profit is not everything and a end to the price wars between all the Major players in Uk and Abroad but i do not think That it will happen.
    "MSE Money saving challenges..8/12/13 3,500 saved so far " p.s if i been helpfully please leave me a thank you but seek official advice at all times from a pro
  • drbesty
    The cost of sending texts has plummeted in the past few years, sending texts has never been cheaper
  • alexlyne
    • 12th Sep 11, 7:10 PM
    • 12th Sep 11, 7:10 PM
    my texts have gone up from 4p to 6p, sending texts (for me) has never been more expensive!
    • rpb
    • By rpb 12th Sep 11, 8:36 PM
    • 123 Posts
    • 127 Thanks
    rpb
    Mobile phone charges are a complete rip-off. Even those European capped rates give the telecom companies a huge margin. And the mobile companies were forced to reduce their rates by Ofcom because competition isn't working in this industry.

140 characters of text - they are charging around 1/kb to send a text. That is just shocking.

And even if you have a contract with "free minutes/texts" (hardly free, are they), either you don't use them all and so have paid for some you didn't use, or you go over and pay extortionate rates for those.

I think a fairer contract price would be around 2.50 for 250 texts/minutes, with charges little above 1p a minute/text if you go over.
  • 2sides2everystory
    The cost of sending texts has plummeted in the past few years, sending texts has never been cheaper
    Now you really are showing your age
  • hermante
    MoneySavingExpert.com creator Martin Lewis says: "This is a farcical anomaly. EU regulations protect text costs when people go on holiday, but don't when people are at home.
    by MSE Helen (from the article)
    That's how the EU works. Sorry if offtopic, but in the same way, a non-EU citizen (e.g. American) who marries a British citizen today would eventually have paid upwards of 3000 to the Home Office over a number of years in order to live in the UK. But if they married another EU citizen instead, the visas will be free. That's why all the sham marriages in the news involve EU nationals.

So obviously the solution here is to get a SIM from France or something.
    • ScarletBea
    • By ScarletBea 13th Sep 11, 6:57 AM
    • 2,788 Posts
    • 4,163 Thanks
    ScarletBea
    Yes, I noticed that last month during my holidays, and it works for texts abroad too.
    It was cheaper to send a text with a UK phone from Sweden to Portugal than texting in the UK to Portugal.

hehehe please don't generalise.
    What you pay a month in a contract I top up in a year...
    Being brave is going after your dreams head on
  • KTM Gordo
    When I got my first Orange phone in 1995, text messaging was 2 a month for unlimited texts...

But for the case in point, I think the EU legislation is the problem - surely it would make more sense to say that you should not be charged more to send a text when roaming in the EU than it does at home (although whether it's inclusive / exclusive of your bundled texts is another issue).

We can choose our mobile phone provider based on their charges, which is how a free-market economy should work.
    • guesswho2000
    • By guesswho2000 13th Sep 11, 12:28 PM
    • 1,631 Posts
    • 773 Thanks
    guesswho2000
    I did notice this quite a while ago, but since my texts have been unlimited in the UK for years it doesn't really apply.

I'd like to be able to get an inclusive bundle for abroad though, my old O2 contract used to use 4 inclusive to send one inclusive while roaming, which was ideal.
    • Buzby
    • By Buzby 13th Sep 11, 1:01 PM
    • 8,201 Posts
    • 3,011 Thanks
    Buzby
    When Orance launched (in 1993-4) ALL texts were 'free' it was the first true 'digital dividend' Sadly, they realised they could make people pay for it as an extra, and this saw the ending of radiopaging as a viable alternative. I have to say, I usually use the networks own 'free text' service on their websites.
  • Hammyman
    This is the discussion thread for the following MSE News Story:

"It can cost more to send a text to someone a few metres away in the UK than over hundreds of miles when in Europe ..."
    Originally posted by MSE Helen
    Stupid comment. The distance is irrelevant. It doesn't matter.

Do you write for the Daily Mail? They print this kind of rubbish.
  • 2sides2everystory
    I'd like to be able to get an inclusive bundle for abroad though
    Yes and indeed many moons before there was O2 4for1, lo I can say unto you that verily there even was no distinction between abroad texts and UK texts.

Meantime, have you tried Fishtext? I use it all the time and have done since soon after they featured on BBC Click. Maybe Vyke is also worth a look but Fishtext works out cheaper to many countries.

With Fishtext some countries are up to 5p per text (Vyke I think is 6p?) but many destinations I send to are only 1.3p. Abroad to UK is 2p. There is a tiny data charge too but using the Java version of Fishtext I have found this to be insignificant even when roaming.

PS Hammyman, are you having a worse day than usual? I have long thought it very odd that EU capped the roaming SMS cost but not the home network cost, and that the cap was less than the PAYG rates on home networks. What's stupid about saying so??
    Last edited by 2sides2everystory; 13-09-2011 at 1:31 PM.
  • drbesty
    Yes, I noticed that last month during my holidays, and it works for texts abroad too.
    It was cheaper to send a text with a UK phone from Sweden to Portugal than texting in the UK to Portugal.

hehehe please don't generalise.
    What you pay a month in a contract I top up in a year...
    Originally posted by ScarletBea
    My contract costs 7.50 a month, and they gave me a free Desire S which I managed to sell for 270, so my contract costs me -45 a year, does your mobile company pay you to be a customer?
    • tacotaco
    • By tacotaco 14th Sep 11, 10:36 AM
    • 1,115 Posts
    • 29,350 Thanks
    tacotaco
    The article compares UK->UK and EU->UK. What about UK->EU? I assume that this isn't considered roaming and so the cap doesn't apply, and it costs more to text EU from the UK than within UK.

Getting a French SIM as in post 12 for use in the UK would be a partial solution - your UK mates won't be able to cheaply text you back. A dual-SIM phone would help.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

621Posts Today

5,755Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • RT @MartinSLewis: I sued Facebook for defamation over scam ads & settled in return for 2 things that LAUNCH TODAY -1on1 scam help at new C?

• Bizzare German twitter mash article has called me "MARTIN LEWIS, der Geldsparexperte," Any german speakers out the? https://t.co/1tXEzCe4Y3

• Have you ever been scammed? If so did you keep it quiet? If not would you keep it quiet or tell people? Please vot? https://t.co/68bkmbT9gc

• Follow Martin