Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Page 1
    • silvercar
    • By silvercar 12th Sep 12, 11:24 PM
    • 39,632 Posts
    • 163,781 Thanks
    • #2
    • 12th Sep 12, 11:24 PM
    • #2
    • 12th Sep 12, 11:24 PM
    Only live with students? If you're a full-time student living alone or with other students you don't need to pay council tax, whether there's two, three or even 10 of you living together.
    Live with a non-student? If a student lives with a non-student, the student is disregarded, so council tax is reduced as if only a single person lives there. So the non-student can get the 25% single person's discount. But this poses a moral dilemma.

    Is it fair for the non-student to pay the entire 75% points due, or should the student contribute?

    From the student's perspective, they wouldn't pay anything if their housemate was also a student. From the non-student perspective they’d only pay 50% of the bill if their housemate was also a non-student.

    Therefore our suggestion is to split the 25% difference between the two, so the non-student pays 62.5% and the student 12.5%.
    Live with more than one non-student? Here, while the student again is exempt, because there are two non-students the house has to pay the full 100% charge. So again it gets complex - the student hasn’t added to the council tax bill, but nor has their presence resulted in a discount.

    So again you'll need to decide if and how you want to split it, though the legal stance is that full-time students aren't liable for the bill if non-students can't or don't pay. See Council Tax Discounts.
    I'm disagreeing with this. Students are exempt so should not be coerced into paying any council tax.

    In particular the bit I've bolded. Two non-students could pay 50% each, which is a saving on the 75% they would face if they were the only non-student.
    • By BACKFRMTHEEDGE 13th Sep 12, 8:09 AM
    • 1,246 Posts
    • 1,941 Thanks
    • #3
    • 13th Sep 12, 8:09 AM
    • #3
    • 13th Sep 12, 8:09 AM
    Watching TV without a licence is against the law.
    Fee dodgers face prosecution and a fine of up to 1,000.
    See the TV Licences guide.
    So don't watch TV and save yourself 145. You can watch BBC iplayer on your computer for free. And take a couple of box sets of DVDs to uni - which you can also watch on your computer.
    A journey of a thousand miles begins with a single step

    Savings For Kids 1st Jan 2019 16,112
    • setmefree2
    • By setmefree2 13th Sep 12, 8:14 AM
    • 8,868 Posts
    • 19,080 Thanks
    • #4
    • 13th Sep 12, 8:14 AM
    • #4
    • 13th Sep 12, 8:14 AM
    Ensure parents pay their share

    Your parents may decide to give you money to help while you're at uni, if they can afford it. But for most, the amount of maintenance loan you get depends on their parents' income; those who come from wealthier homes get a smaller loan.
    This is because your parents are expected to contribute. If you don't get the full loan, while there's no way to force them to pay, and they're not legally required to give you money. It's well worth having the conversation with them in advance about whether they'll contribute.
    Show this to your parents: This can be a thorny area, yet their contribution can make a big difference while you're studying. Broach the subject sooner rather than later, and feel free to show them this tip if it helps.
    Top Tip Here!

Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

622Posts Today

5,079Users online

Martin's Twitter