Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Trow
    • By Trow 23rd Apr 05, 12:11 PM
    • 2,263Posts
    • 2,597Thanks
    Trow
    Marg/butter for baking - quality or price?
    • 23rd Apr 05, 12:11 PM
    Marg/butter for baking - quality or price? 23rd Apr 05 at 12:11 PM
    Just out of curiosity - when you are buying marg/butter for baking, do you go for more expensive and better quality product, or do you buy a cheaper product because it is 'disguised' in the end result?

My other half buys whatever better quality marg is on offer - I tend to either buy Pure (because of no animal or hydrogenated ingreds) or I can't believe its not butter (hate the name, but again, no hydrogenated products) and despite the fact I would like to buy a big pack of something a bit less refined as I am sure the difference in the end result would be minimal, I can't bring myself to use the hydrogenated oils.

Over to you...
Page 1
    • Magentasue
    • By Magentasue 23rd Apr 05, 12:21 PM
    • 4,201 Posts
    • 2,671 Thanks
    Magentasue
    • 23rd Apr 05, 12:21 PM
    • 23rd Apr 05, 12:21 PM
    Smart price butter or equivalent value one in Tesco. When there's been a BOGOF for branded and it works out cheaper I would buy that but I can't remember the last time that happened and I can't tell the difference.
    • catznine
    • By catznine 23rd Apr 05, 12:25 PM
    • 3,187 Posts
    • 24,544 Thanks
    catznine
    • 23rd Apr 05, 12:25 PM
    • 23rd Apr 05, 12:25 PM
    I use "pure" for the same reasons but when I "slip" and treat us to butter it is normally the supermarkets own label unless I need an unsalted butter for something special (brandy butter etc).

hth
    Our days are happier when we give people a bit of our heart rather than a piece of our mind.

Jan grocery challenge 35.77/120
  • Daisy
    • 23rd Apr 05, 12:26 PM
    • 23rd Apr 05, 12:26 PM
    I can't believe its not butter (hate the name, but again, no hydrogenated products)
    by Trow
    That name always makes me laugh. I remember a sketch on 'The Mary Whitehouse Experience' where they named other products in a similar style. One was something like 'B*ll*cks man, this is custard powder and I'll deck anyone who says it isn't'. Sorry, just my sense of humour....
    • Trow
    • By Trow 23rd Apr 05, 12:27 PM
    • 2,263 Posts
    • 2,597 Thanks
    Trow
    • 23rd Apr 05, 12:27 PM
    • 23rd Apr 05, 12:27 PM
    That name always makes me laugh. I remember a sketch on 'The Mary Whitehouse Experience' where they named other products in a similar style. One was something like 'B*ll*cks man, this is custard powder and I'll deck anyone who says it isn't'. Sorry, just my sense of humour....
    by Daisy
    LOL! Wish I'd seen that
    • Curry Queen
    • By Curry Queen 23rd Apr 05, 12:32 PM
    • 5,482 Posts
    • 3,081 Thanks
    Curry Queen
    • 23rd Apr 05, 12:32 PM
    • 23rd Apr 05, 12:32 PM
    I always remember a friend of mine using the big square tubs of cheap marg and you could taste it even in baking YUK!

I use either stork marg or butter (usually Countrylife unsalted) in baking and spreadable butter for sarnies (not the artificial stuff!)
    "An Ye Harm None, Do What Ye Will"
    ~
    It is that what you do, good or bad,
    will come back to you three times as strong!

• Ticklemouse
    • By Ticklemouse 23rd Apr 05, 12:41 PM
    • 4,896 Posts
    • 5,486 Thanks
    Ticklemouse
    • 23rd Apr 05, 12:41 PM
    • 23rd Apr 05, 12:41 PM
    I'm a butter girl - Tesco's value stuff for me when baking, in fact, all the time I do have some Olive Oil spread in fridge, but that's for non-butter eating guests usually. I can always taste cheap marg in baking.

In fact, just returned from tesco with butter, sugar, eggs, choc sprinkles and flowers - guess what DS1 wants to do later...
    • MATH
    • By MATH 23rd Apr 05, 1:21 PM
    • 2,931 Posts
    • 5,603 Thanks
    MATH
    • 23rd Apr 05, 1:21 PM
    • 23rd Apr 05, 1:21 PM
    When making pastry I only ever use lard. Occasionally I will chuck in a knob of Tesco Value butter into the mix if I want a richer taste for meat 'n' savoury pies or summat. For steamed and baked sponges I always use Tesco Value butter.
    Life's a beach! Take your shoes off and feel the sand between your toes.
    • Trow
    • By Trow 23rd Apr 05, 1:24 PM
    • 2,263 Posts
    • 2,597 Thanks
    Trow
    • 23rd Apr 05, 1:24 PM
    • 23rd Apr 05, 1:24 PM
    Tescos value seems to be getting a big thumbs up - I only have a Co-op and a Somerfield to choose from
    • Debt_Free_Chick
    • By Debt_Free_Chick 23rd Apr 05, 1:24 PM
    • 13,149 Posts
    • 9,492 Thanks
    Debt_Free_Chick
    It depends on what the final product to be.

I use President Normandy butter for the best buttery taste.

Trex or Cookeen for pastry. And, occasionally, Stork

Beef dripping from the butcher, when I need to.
    • nicki
    • By nicki 23rd Apr 05, 1:32 PM
    • 7,286 Posts
    • 88,328 Thanks
    nicki
    I use a big 2kg cheap margarine from Asda (can't remember what its called or how much). I only use butter if I'm making garlic bread or if I'm making biscuits/cookies for extended family/school, even then I only use Smartprice.
    Creeping back in for accountability after falling off the wagon in 2016.
    Need to get back to old style in modern ways, watching the pennies and getting stuff done!
  • Penny-Pincher!!
    Quite Fussy Me!!
    Hi

I usually use the smart price butter to cook with for cakes and pies etc. I know its not as cheap as the marg in big tubs-but I hate the taste of the cheapie marg...sticks in the back of ur throat...gross

The smart price butter is 49pence a 1/2lb block and tastes like any other "named" good quality butter. Same for butter icing!!

Penny-Pincher!!
    xxx
    • Magentasue
    • By Magentasue 23rd Apr 05, 2:36 PM
    • 4,201 Posts
    • 2,671 Thanks
    Magentasue
    Tescos value seems to be getting a big thumbs up - I only have a Co-op and a Somerfield to choose from
    by Trow
    What's the betting all the cheap supermarket butter is the same stuff? I stopped using margarine when I started weaning my first child - looked at the list of ingredients and didn't want to feed it to my kids.
    • Trow
    • By Trow 23rd Apr 05, 2:41 PM
    • 2,263 Posts
    • 2,597 Thanks
    Trow
    I haven't seen value butter in either store - used to get it when the Somerfield was a Safeway, but it has only recently turned into a Somerfield so it might appear yet...
    • Curry Queen
    • By Curry Queen 23rd Apr 05, 3:10 PM
    • 5,482 Posts
    • 3,081 Thanks
    Curry Queen
    I just remembered I got a pack of Tesco Value butter in the fridge so just tasted it and to be honest it doesn't taste much different to Anchor or Lurpak

Pity they don't do a spreadable version though as I can't get on with block butter for sarnies
    ~

• maryb
    • By maryb 23rd Apr 05, 8:38 PM
    • 3,991 Posts
    • 49,551 Thanks
    maryb
    Curry Queen
    i have got an old Shirley Goode book in which she suggests using a cake mixer to whip softened butter with a bit of milk to make spreadable butter. i haven't tried it myself but I think the ingredients on spreadable butter may include milk solids (not sure) but if so that would suggest they're doing essentially the same thing
    • Curry Queen
    • By Curry Queen 23rd Apr 05, 8:50 PM
    • 5,482 Posts
    • 3,081 Thanks
    Curry Queen
    It's certainly worth having a try with a block of cheapo value butter, although I wonder if semi-skimmed might not be suitable and cause it to separate. Had a bit of a disaster last time I tried to make crumbled cheshire cheese in milk and I don't know if it was the cheese or milk that caused it. Back in the days my mum and gran used to make it they'd have used full fat unpastuerised milk and it didn't separate nowhere near as much as mine did :confused:
    ~

• Turning_into_scrooge
    To be honest i always buy the cheapest butter i can find unless its for something really special such as christmas as i find its really just as good. Silly really using more expensive stuff just for christmas when i dont think you can taste the difference unless its something that needs a really good quality butter for taste :confused: What i do once a year though is when i'm down in lovely wales i always buy farm produced butter at one of the local farmers markets or whatever they are and freeze quite a few packs, they are quite reasonable in price too and ever so good to eat
    • Sheahaven
    • By Sheahaven 18th Mar 12, 11:11 PM
    • 74 Posts
    • 64 Thanks
    Sheahaven
    Has anyone's ideas about marg vs butter, changed?

Almost 20 years now I've not liked using/eating marg products (trans fats, taste, etc) since an early biochem lecture - found out what it does to your body.

It confirmed what I already thought of heavily processed/synthetic products.

And since then I've stuck to
    Butter and not marg,
    Full fat drinks instead of 'low cal'/'diet' stuff,
    Demerara sugar and not canderel stuff
    and the like.

So now I buy shop's own butter or branded ones when they are on really good offers, then pile them in the freezer.

I prefer the unsalted variety for it's many uses and now and again get a block of slightly salted.
    • hardpressed
    • By hardpressed 18th Mar 12, 11:21 PM
    • 2,070 Posts
    • 1,514 Thanks
    hardpressed
    Didn't realise this was an old thread until I saw someone paid 49p for 1/2 lb of butter!!
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

2,181Posts Today

6,856Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • RT @MartinSLewis: I sued Facebook for defamation over scam ads & settled in return for 2 things that LAUNCH TODAY -1on1 scam help at new C?

• Bizzare German twitter mash article has called me "MARTIN LEWIS, der Geldsparexperte," Any german speakers out the? https://t.co/1tXEzCe4Y3

• Have you ever been scammed? If so did you keep it quiet? If not would you keep it quiet or tell people? Please vot? https://t.co/68bkmbT9gc

• Follow Martin