Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • zippychick
    • By zippychick 4th Jun 11, 11:19 AM
    • 9,343Posts
    • 17,889Thanks
    zippychick
    September 2011 Grocery Challenge
    • 4th Jun 11, 11:19 AM
    September 2011 Grocery Challenge 4th Jun 11 at 11:19 AM
    Hi everyone,

Welcome to the ninth Grocery Challenge of 2011,

If your new month starts early feel free to join this thread, or if you're still working on your August budget, then keep on posting in the August 2011 Grocery Challenge

As always this challenge is to reduce your own grocery budget to levels that you will be pleased with, not forgetting that we always recommend that you stay inside your own comfort levels and take things gently one step at a time. Remember that this is not a competition....it's designed to take you and your grocery spending to a level you are happy with.

If you are new to the challenge I have quoted the advice from Galtizz below which will help you get started.

Please post into this thread for help and advice and support at any time. Good luck to everyone taking part!

I have said this before, but for all the newbies to the challenge;

For the first month I took a guess at the budget but I really had no idea how much I was spending.

I found the best thing is to have a guess the first month but SAVE ALL OF YOUR RECEIPTS (and yes, that does include the ones from the local shop when you run out of milk ), then at the end of the month add them all up and have a look if you were on budget, if not, it doesn't matter because your budget was a guess. For the next month you can use the total of your receipts and take a bit off to get a realistic budget, just shave off as much as you think you can, it could be £1 a week or £20 a week.

If you are currently spending £200 a month don't suddenly drop it to £100 - you'll never do it but if you cut £20 a month off for a few months you'll get there eventually without feeling you're missing out on anything.

You might think you've done everything you can in the first month but someone always comes up with a new idea and, if you try it you often find you save a bit more (unless you are SarahSaver who is an expert at this and could only save more if she turned her back garden into a paddy field and lived on rice ) In the first month I thought, I'm planning meals, I couldn't possibly save any more, but then I started double cooking and freezing, and making soup instead of buying it in tins.

I've been doing this since Feb but only saved ALL of my receipts last month, it has given me a much better idea of where it is all going. Budget for next month is £80 for 2 of us, I'll start on 30/4. I could probably save more, by eating different foods but I can afford to live on £80, I have saved a lot of money since Feb. and I don't waste food or money any more. So I'm happy with my budget.
    For quidelines on posting in this thread please read the second post in this thread.

For the Grocery challenge Recipe Index please see posts #3, #4, #5 and #6 on this thread.

I hope everyone has a great month!

Zip
    Last edited by zippychick; 31-08-2011 at 9:44 PM.
    A little nonsense now and then is relished by the wisest men
    Norn Iron club member #380

Page 22
  • WillgetOrganised
    Morning all,

Just had a look at what I have spent so far this month and my total is £189.87/£300 which actually doesn't sound that great.... I have another big shop due to be delivered next week as there are some offers I want to take advantage of from Mr T before they expire which will take me to around the £270 mark. Hopefully after that it should only be a few things like milk and bread that i'll need to pick up.... I'm still hopeful of staying in budget! :::fingers crossed:::

Have a good day everyone
    GROCERY CHALLENGE
    January £214.42/£300.00
    February £268.37/£325.00

DMP - Too high to admit in public
    • sproggi
    • By sproggi 9th Sep 11, 8:27 AM
    • 1,517 Posts
    • 6,376 Thanks
    sproggi
    nsd 4 for me yesterday, mostly becuase i ended up in hospital for the afternoon with suspected pre-eclampsia, however all is fine and i was sent home with no concerns - hoping Elvis makes an appearance soon!
    Originally posted by Puzzledbubbles
    I'm pleased to hear that all was ok

It will be another NSD for me today, OH is having a bad day, so I cannot leave him to get to the shops and I don't think that there is anything that I am really desperate for.

Tea tonight will be leftovers from the freezer, so things like shepherds pie.

Sproggi
    'We can get over being poor, but it takes longer to get over being ignorant'
    Jane Sequichie Hifler
    Beware of little expenses.A small leak will sink a great ship
    Benjamin Franklin
  • helen jelly
    Puzzlebubbles - Hope "Elvis" comes along very soon and that all is ok

Sproggi - Hope today goes ok for you and OH

Hopefully today is going to be a NSD - but I may need to get bread - theres always something!!

Helen
    Projects made for craft fair - 40
    1st fair on 13/4/14
    • Savvy sewing
    • By Savvy sewing 9th Sep 11, 8:36 AM
    • 10,808 Posts
    • 56,813 Thanks
    Savvy sewing
    Hi All, late in starting as I am just back off on my holidays. Before I went I didnt have much in so its going to be a bit higher then I would like. But need to keep it low as the council tax demand has changed/been amended and its gone up from paying £0, to £29 to £59 and now I am back to a £94 a month bill!! need to look into why thats happened as well.
    So can you september £300 FOR MOOLOO.! THANKS
    When I die I will know that I have lived, loved, mattered and made a difference, even if in a small way.
    • quintwins
    • By quintwins 9th Sep 11, 8:39 AM
    • 5,058 Posts
    • 29,569 Thanks
    quintwins
    nsd today not sure wats for tea yet because we might be having an extra person i need to find out before i lift something out
    OCT GC £196.12/£200
    • JulieGeorgiana
    • By JulieGeorgiana 9th Sep 11, 9:03 AM
    • 2,467 Posts
    • 12,987 Thanks
    JulieGeorgiana
    Helen Jelly

I know I am on the annual grocery challange, but thanks to being VERY sick while pregnant I have no idea how much we've spent... first because I hardly ate, and DH cooked EVERYTHING for him and DS9. I've not even been able to come online i've been so very poorly! After that because as I started to eat I could only eat 'certain' things and we were shopping almost daily, then because I had cravings... LOL! What a mess! I'm nearly 23 weeks and finally had a meal plan and shopping lists in place for the last TWO weeks, but still get odd cravings and send DH out to the shop!

I think you can safely say I am about £150 - £200 over on the food shopping since I got poorly, and still going apx £10 a month over (instead of £40 - £50)!

So please could you remove me from the grocery challange as I try and sort myself out... once this month is over I might re-join for October and see if I can get back on track... because it's rewarding to stay in budget
    We spend money we don't have, on things that we don't need, to impress people we don't like. I don't and I'm happy!

Mortgage Free Wannabe
    Overpayments Made: £5400 - Interest Saved: £11,550 - Months Saved: 24
    • Savvy sewing
    • By Savvy sewing 9th Sep 11, 9:27 AM
    • 10,808 Posts
    • 56,813 Thanks
    Savvy sewing
    Have just put in a meat order for delivery on Tuesday. £97! eek. However the last time I did that it lasted us two months, with some still in the freezer.
    Main food order still needs to be done. Just got a text from Asda offering me a free delivery. So I may do that later today. Then I can have my shopping delivered and the cupboards well stocked again.
    When I die I will know that I have lived, loved, mattered and made a difference, even if in a small way.
    • mrs-moneypenny
    • By mrs-moneypenny 9th Sep 11, 9:29 AM
    • 15,518 Posts
    • 198,189 Thanks
    mrs-moneypenny
    julie hope things improve for you soon and i hope your pregnancy settles and you and bump now have good health

Puzzlebubbles glad to hear you and Elvis are alright and i hope 'he' puts in an appearance soon

sproggi hope your DH is feeling a bit better now and today goes well foryou both

just been shops spent £11.15 toilet roll, veggies and a couple of pillows.

need to do tomorrows list and get tonights tea sorted - got to check what veggies are left and think of something to do with them. probally be veggie soup or casserole of some description
    SPC~12 ot 124

In a world that has decided that it's going to lose its mind, be more kind my friend, try to Be More Kind
    • FoxFace
    • By FoxFace 9th Sep 11, 9:54 AM
    • 298 Posts
    • 3,190 Thanks
    FoxFace
    NSD here for me

Have officially been to sign off JSA Have DS's home visit this afternoon for starting school next week, and have family coming over for dinner this evening. I am making a big chicken and veg pie with the bits my Nan brought me the other day, and sharing it with them I was going to make her a pie, but then figured they can stay here and eat

Also I am more than overjoyed at the results of my first ever homemade "flask yoghurt".... it is really, really nice and will save me a fortune as we go through a ton of the stuff!
    Debt Free Wannabe 21.05.2017
    Total Starting Debt = £11,020.01p Currently: £6203.07p
    ~Grocery Challenge August: 0.00/ £80.00p : NSD: 5 ~
    ~Fox's Vegan Recipes~

• Evie74
    Quick update from me - topped up some storecupboard bits and toiletries at Home Bargains and bought some fresh milk today - total grocery spend £14.33 so the monthly total is creeping up but I think we'll be on budget this month (and we need to be, thanks to expensive car repairs!)

Evie
    "Live simply, so that others may simply live"
    Weight Loss Challenge: 0/70
  • TrixieB
    foxface - flask yogurt? do tell me more

low spend day.... just need milk and some custard or evap milk to go on the steamed sponge pudding am planning on making for tonight, got HM chicken broth but tbh I've totally gone off it, so OH will have that and I'll have boiled eeggs and toast or something like that

Have happy days everyone, hope bumps behave/ and or /appear delete as necessary!
    Trying very hard to be frugal and OS - just plodding on and doing my best!

• medsdemon
    • By medsdemon 9th Sep 11, 11:14 AM
    • 751 Posts
    • 6,133 Thanks
    medsdemon
    Well it's good afternoon everyone from me. NSD today ( totally resisted buying anything at the shop today when I picked up DD's passport.). Tonight just me and OH for dinner and making mushroom soup, with corn on the cob on the side and rhubarb crumble for pud. Hopefully out at the cinema tonight and will resist the cr*p snacks...I will resist...
    Hoping for NSD's over the weekend too.
    Grocery challenge October: £228.28/£250.00 NSD 4 ( not completed)
    Grocery challenge November : £291.65/300.00 NSD 10
    Grocery challenge December : £0/240.00 NSD
    • FoxFace
    • By FoxFace 9th Sep 11, 11:58 AM
    • 298 Posts
    • 3,190 Thanks
    FoxFace
    foxface - flask yogurt? do tell me more

low spend day.... just need milk and some custard or evap milk to go on the steamed sponge pudding am planning on making for tonight, got HM chicken broth but tbh I've totally gone off it, so OH will have that and I'll have boiled eeggs and toast or something like that

Have happy days everyone, hope bumps behave/ and or /appear delete as necessary!
    Originally posted by TrixieB
    There are quite a few threads on here about it... I used this method.

You need a large flask, a small pot of plain live yoghurt and a litre of milk (I used skimmed UHT because it's cheap and low fat).

Bring the milk to the boil in a pan, then turn the heat off and leave it to cool to "baby bottle" temperature. Too hot and it will curdle, too cold and the bacteria won't thrive (think of yeast baking).

When it is at the right temperature, mix the pot of yogurt into the milk and add the whole thing to the flask.

Leave it for 8 hours, then transfer to an airtight tub in the fridge to cool. It can be made thicker by straining it through a muslin or adding a tbl or two of dried skimmed milk powder.

I plan on blitzing cheap tins of fruit in juice to add a compote at the bottom of little storage tubs, top with yoghurt et voila... that or just a drizzle of honey on the top... yum!

Edit: Forgot to add that you keep back a small tub of the yoghurt you have made, as a starter for your next batch... using Mr T's value UHT means you can make a healthy, live yoghurt for approx 48p per litre!
    Last edited by FoxFace; 09-09-2011 at 12:03 PM.
    Debt Free Wannabe 21.05.2017
    Total Starting Debt = £11,020.01p Currently: £6203.07p
    ~Grocery Challenge August: 0.00/ £80.00p : NSD: 5 ~
    ~Fox's Vegan Recipes~

• helen jelly
    FoxFace - I'd love to know about the Flask Yogurt too please - I read about it on this site somewhere but can't find it again!!

Mooloo - Done your total :]

JulieGeorgiana - I've removed your total, sorry to hear you have been so poorly! Hope you get yourself well again soon

Helen x

ETA - Thanks FoxFace - we were posting at the same time

Helen x
    Last edited by helen jelly; 09-09-2011 at 12:03 PM.
    Projects made for craft fair - 40
    1st fair on 13/4/14
    • tessie bear
    • By tessie bear 9th Sep 11, 12:10 PM
    • 4,361 Posts
    • 30,013 Thanks
    tessie bear
    hi....not having a great week spending wise...i find the minute i take my eye off the grocery spend ball we seem spend loads...oh well onwards and upwards

i have got a meal plan for next week and want to go to lidl for weekend offers hopefully the only spend for a few days...got stew for tea which i had a real fancy to make...i quite enjoyed all the chopping...hope it is nice

tata tessa
    onwards and upwards
    • saving4life
    • By saving4life 9th Sep 11, 12:11 PM
    • 76 Posts
    • 547 Thanks
    saving4life
    Just done biggish shop so hopefully this will last me a bit. Spent £64 at As!a, which included £10 worth of cat food on offer and £10 of wine. Also had some uncle ben's rice things good for lunches at£1. See how I go then.
    October Grocery Challenge £400
    • Pinwheel
    • By Pinwheel 9th Sep 11, 1:00 PM
    • 63 Posts
    • 1,138 Thanks
    Pinwheel
    Hi everyone

Just been to L**L and S**nsburys and spent £48.22 in total. I have managed to keep out of the shops for a few days so I needed quite a lot. I have a meal plan sorted out for next week and shouldn't need anything (famous last words) except maybe milk and fruit for a good few days. I bought some red onions in L**l which are on offer, only 39p for a net of 5 or 6. I want to make some caramelised red onion marmalade/chutney for Christmas presents, can anyone recommend a recipe please? I am also planning to make a boiled fruit cake, leek and potato soup and a big veg curry in the slow cooker.

Have a good Friday afternoon and a great weekend everyone.
    PWx

Oops just found 2 recipes for onion marmalade in the recipe index - has anyone tried them?
    Last edited by Pinwheel; 09-09-2011 at 1:05 PM.
    Oct GC £36.72/£220.00
    Sep GC £223.58/£220.00
    Aug GC £200/£200
    Jun GC £192.73/££220 - Jul GC £296.88/£220
    Apr GC £230.40/£200 - May GC £230.40/£220 -
    Feb GC £200.19/£200 - Mar GC £203.37/£200 -
    • recovering spendaholic
    • By recovering spendaholic 9th Sep 11, 1:47 PM
    • 3,049 Posts
    • 15,426 Thanks
    recovering spendaholic
    Spent £21 in Aldi this morning on chicken and baking supplies, and picked up one or two reduced items (mushrooms, chicken drumsticks). Sproggi - sory that your OH is not too good today, Puzzled - glad you got checked out over the pre-eclampsia - as someone who had had it is is scary!! Hope Elvis arrives soon!Julie - sorry you have been so unwell with your pregnancy - hope you get back on track with the GC soon!

Can someone tell me what the Tesco jelly glitch is?I don't usually buy jelly but might be persuaded if it is a good enough bargain!

The flask yoghurt sounds really easy and good. I have an easiyo set and wondered if the outer container would be good enough as a flask? Has anyone made their own yoghurt in an easiyo?

Off to investiate online meat sites!
    Jane

ENDIS. Employed, no disposable income or savings!
    • sproggi
    • By sproggi 9th Sep 11, 2:01 PM
    • 1,517 Posts
    • 6,376 Thanks
    sproggi
    The jelly glitch was here
    http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=3462077

But I think it may have been stopped now

Sproggi
    'We can get over being poor, but it takes longer to get over being ignorant'
    Jane Sequichie Hifler
    Beware of little expenses.A small leak will sink a great ship
    Benjamin Franklin
  • rosieben
    FoxFace, I've added your flask yogurt recipe to the index

we already have a couple listed there, will check later to make sure we've no duplicates
    ... don't throw the string away. You always need string!

C.R.A.P.R.O.L.L.Z Head Sharpener
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

878Posts Today

6,810Users online

Martin's Twitter