Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • zippychick
    • By zippychick 4th Jun 11, 11:19 AM
    • 9,343Posts
    • 17,889Thanks
    zippychick
    September 2011 Grocery Challenge
    • 4th Jun 11, 11:19 AM
    September 2011 Grocery Challenge 4th Jun 11 at 11:19 AM
    Hi everyone,

Welcome to the ninth Grocery Challenge of 2011,

If your new month starts early feel free to join this thread, or if you're still working on your August budget, then keep on posting in the August 2011 Grocery Challenge

As always this challenge is to reduce your own grocery budget to levels that you will be pleased with, not forgetting that we always recommend that you stay inside your own comfort levels and take things gently one step at a time. Remember that this is not a competition....it's designed to take you and your grocery spending to a level you are happy with.

If you are new to the challenge I have quoted the advice from Galtizz below which will help you get started.

Please post into this thread for help and advice and support at any time. Good luck to everyone taking part!

I have said this before, but for all the newbies to the challenge;

For the first month I took a guess at the budget but I really had no idea how much I was spending.

I found the best thing is to have a guess the first month but SAVE ALL OF YOUR RECEIPTS (and yes, that does include the ones from the local shop when you run out of milk ), then at the end of the month add them all up and have a look if you were on budget, if not, it doesn't matter because your budget was a guess. For the next month you can use the total of your receipts and take a bit off to get a realistic budget, just shave off as much as you think you can, it could be 1 a week or 20 a week.

If you are currently spending 200 a month don't suddenly drop it to 100 - you'll never do it but if you cut 20 a month off for a few months you'll get there eventually without feeling you're missing out on anything.

You might think you've done everything you can in the first month but someone always comes up with a new idea and, if you try it you often find you save a bit more (unless you are SarahSaver who is an expert at this and could only save more if she turned her back garden into a paddy field and lived on rice ) In the first month I thought, I'm planning meals, I couldn't possibly save any more, but then I started double cooking and freezing, and making soup instead of buying it in tins.

I've been doing this since Feb but only saved ALL of my receipts last month, it has given me a much better idea of where it is all going. Budget for next month is 80 for 2 of us, I'll start on 30/4. I could probably save more, by eating different foods but I can afford to live on 80, I have saved a lot of money since Feb. and I don't waste food or money any more. So I'm happy with my budget.
    For quidelines on posting in this thread please read the second post in this thread.

For the Grocery challenge Recipe Index please see posts #3, #4, #5 and #6 on this thread.

I hope everyone has a great month!

Zip
    Last edited by zippychick; 31-08-2011 at 9:44 PM.
    A little nonsense now and then is relished by the wisest men
    Norn Iron club member #380

Page 12
  • Puzzledbubbles
    Hi All,

Lurking as usual

I have spent 93 of my 160 budget for this month (running from 25th August to 25th September) and we have enough in for all of this weeks meal plan, all of next weeks and i think all of the week after Just freshies to buy and that can be done at Aldi, im determined to come in under budget again this month!!!

Portion sizes we are awful, we both clear our plates no matter how much is on there and we have large plates so we always end up with loads, however, i am being much more strict since we started the meal planning and now i am controlling how much we eat, we have biscuits and crisps etc so its not like we will go hungry if a meal is slightly smaller and OH keeps saying that he looks at the plate and things that isnt enough, but by the time he has eaten it all he is full so that is definately progress.

We could both do with losing a little weight (well, once Elvis arrives anyway) so this has to be a good thing, plus it means those meals i make that should last 2 nights actually do!!

Puzzled
  • september1986
    NSD

(...mostly because I haven't left the house!)
    September GC: 400.00/600 (everything except mortgage & bills)
    • meanmarie
    • By meanmarie 4th Sep 11, 8:17 PM
    • 5,091 Posts
    • 49,542 Thanks
    meanmarie
    Spent another €23.23 today, total spend to date is €40.77, leaving me with just over €5.54 per day for the rest of of the month...some DSDs needed badly I'm sure.

Marie
    Weight 08 February 86kg
  • TheBees
    Please put TheBees down for 400 in September please. We actually managed 400 in August and came in on target for the first time in years!!!

Back to school this week so hope we can be organised and keep in control of the food budget. DH and I are both doing Weight Watchers so eating quite a bit of fruit and veg which is running low but don't really want to go in a supermarket or shop until next weekend if I can help it.

Good luck all.

TheBees
    Mortgage Free in 3 part 2 challenge - pay off 9000
    Sealed Pot Challenge 416 - target 500
    • FoxFace
    • By FoxFace 4th Sep 11, 8:39 PM
    • 282 Posts
    • 3,122 Thanks
    FoxFace
    So I have sorted a budget, and have given us 200 for the remainder of September, starting immediately

I have just been to the "use it up, don't throw it in the bin" thread (can't link as a newbie ), and using what is currently in the fridge/freezer/cupboards, have managed to concoct a meal plan, that will completely feed us (healthily) until Saturday! Not bad considering I have been pleading "mother hubbard" all week
    Debt Free Wannabe 21.05.2017
    Total Starting Debt = 11,020.01p Currently: 7282.99p
    ~Grocery Challenge: May: 26.77p/350.00p~
    ~Fox's Vegan Recipes~

• quintwins
    • By quintwins 4th Sep 11, 8:39 PM
    • 5,003 Posts
    • 29,347 Thanks
    quintwins
    spent 15.25 in te$co today then oh wanted ice cream and kept going on and on, til mil said she'd pay so i had to give in so another 6.10 on icecream

came home with a free bottle of lemon club and a huge bowl of strawberrys which will do the kids 2 days so not too bad and a few choclate bars aswell
    DFW 7632/28996 26.3%
  • helen jelly
    Evening

Budgets done to post 226

Went to F@rmfood today, went in for Loo roll and spent 43 !!!!!!!!

Don't need food for a while

Helen
    Projects made for craft fair - 40
    1st fair on 13/4/14
    • sproggi
    • By sproggi 4th Sep 11, 10:10 PM
    • 1,517 Posts
    • 6,376 Thanks
    sproggi
    went in for Loo roll and spent 43 !!!!!!!!
    Originally posted by helen jelly

I am now trying to imagine just how much loo roll you got for 43

Sproggi
    'We can get over being poor, but it takes longer to get over being ignorant'
    Jane Sequichie Hifler
    Beware of little expenses.A small leak will sink a great ship
    Benjamin Franklin
    • Save Dosh
    • By Save Dosh 4th Sep 11, 10:51 PM
    • 1,314 Posts
    • 15,703 Thanks
    Save Dosh

Sproggi
    Originally posted by sproggi

lol, well i don't think it would fit in a car if it was all loo roll. We bought some from Farmfoods on Thursday. They have Nicky Elite 9 rolls @ 2 packs for 4, thats 18 rolls, and its really thick and nicely scented. Oh, listen to me, I sound just like an advert.
    April GC - Food 37.40/80 - Alcohol 14.50/20
    Bulk Funds - Food 0
    - Alcohol 0
    Save 12k in 2019 1,300/5,000 - #155
    • forever saving
    • By forever saving 5th Sep 11, 5:50 AM
    • 565 Posts
    • 8,850 Thanks
    forever saving
    I went to Mr A's on Saturday and spent 37.17. I did get a reasonable amount of food for that.

FS
    Jan GC 298.62/300 Feb 298.01/300 March 331.06/300 April 69.96/300
    Learning to accept the things i cannot change
  • sock-knitter
    had 2 nsd at the weekend, going to farmfoods later for some milk, hopefully will come out with just milk lol
    loves to knit and crochet for others
    • Living proof
    • By Living proof 5th Sep 11, 7:22 AM
    • 1,568 Posts
    • 10,214 Thanks
    Living proof
    I have done my first shop of the month and did spend a little more than in the sig. as used some vouchers for a few bits and pieces in the co-op. Took advantage of a couple of whoopsies in there, and also stocked up in Lidl for Wrights flour. I used to get this delivered when they had the free delivery offer, but since fuel has rocketed them don't seem to be doing that. I've just remember another 2 spent on fruit from the CB so it's creeping up already! Next weekend I'll be away on the Saturday so although some shopping will be done at some stage, it won't be much so I should get back on an even keel then.
    Solar Suntellite 250 x16 4kW Afore 3600TL dual 2KW E 2KW W no shade, DN15 March 14
    Mortgage and Debt Free. Unfortunately Pension Free too!
    • lynneee
    • By lynneee 5th Sep 11, 7:50 AM
    • 776 Posts
    • 3,259 Thanks
    lynneee
    I had another NSD yesterday! Also sorted through the fridge to ensure nothing was going out of date and organised some of the cupboards. I seem to have so much food! So trying to meal plan with what I have, got up to wednesday so far, my baby boy wants all my attention this morning!
    Rule of 3 decluttering challenge 2018: 009/1080
    • recovering spendaholic
    • By recovering spendaholic 5th Sep 11, 8:12 AM
    • 3,049 Posts
    • 15,426 Thanks
    recovering spendaholic

Sproggi
    Originally posted by sproggi
    However much it is my kids could use it up in a week!!!

I have spent 88 of my 300 so far - 27 of that was on an emergency trip to the supermarket at midnight on Friday night as DD1 was flipping out because the puppies had wee'd in her room and she said that she couldn't sleep until I had disinfected all the laminate (strange that - she can normally sleep when it is like a total sh*t tip but....) so for some peace I went to Tesco and ended up buying a load of cleaning stuff which was BOGOF, so shouldn't need to get anything for the rest of the month and beyond.

Have just finished my first meal plan of the month and have enough stuff in stocks to do until 16th, with a small top up shop for veg, fruit and milk.

I made paradise buns last night for lunchboxes this week - they were lovely and really easy to make and easy to transport too -

Paradise Buns (makes 12)

2 eggs weighed in their shells and then this weight of each of:
    self raising flour
    caster sugar
    margarine

Beat together with an electric whisk until pale and thick and then add:

2 tbs of dessicated coconut
    2 heaped tbs of dried fruit (I used raisins and dried cranberries as that was what I had in, but you are supposed to use dried mango and pineapple)
    splash of lemon juice and a few drops of lemon or vanilla extract.

Spoon into muffin cases and bake for 15 minutes at 170 fan or 180 regular oven.

DD1's friend brought me 2 GIANT jars of Nescafe yesterday to thank me for letting her stay over on a Saturday night when they all go out clubbing, which I thought was very kind of her - mind you she does drink loads of coffee so....!!

I also did some work for a friend preparing their CV and helping them with job applications and she brought round 2 trays of her eggs, plus a giant cauliflower and a cabbage so that was a nice bonus too!
    Horrible horrible weather today so I am hoping to stay in and have a NSD.
    Jane

ENDIS. Employed, no disposable income or savings!
    • quintwins
    • By quintwins 5th Sep 11, 8:13 AM
    • 5,003 Posts
    • 29,347 Thanks
    quintwins
    morning all nsd today gonna make chicken casarole and mash for tea, gonna pop it in the slow cooker now gonna stew some olums later aswell becaus ethey've been sitting for nearly 2 weeks now, gonna pick a few off my tree aswell to give to the kids
    DFW 7632/28996 26.3%
    • recovering spendaholic
    • By recovering spendaholic 5th Sep 11, 8:17 AM
    • 3,049 Posts
    • 15,426 Thanks
    recovering spendaholic
    Have any of you seen this website http://www.crockpotgirls.com ? My friend in the States told me about it and there are literally hundreds of slow cooker recipes on there - some sound really weird but nice!! The recipes are US measurements but easy to follow though - check out the dump cake!!
    Jane

ENDIS. Employed, no disposable income or savings!
    • quintwins
    • By quintwins 5th Sep 11, 8:23 AM
    • 5,003 Posts
    • 29,347 Thanks
    quintwins
    this is another fab slow cooking site (also one of her kids are gluten free, and dairyfree so might be helpful if your feeling restricted because of an alergy) i've bookmarked the one above to have a nosey threw later

http://crockpot365.blogspot.com/
    DFW 7632/28996 26.3%
    • agiaga
    • By agiaga 5th Sep 11, 8:59 AM
    • 164 Posts
    • 382 Thanks
    agiaga
    So far so good this month - spent 54.96 and I think I don't need anything except fresh stuff (milk, fruit, veg) for at least 2 weeks
    mortgage started 31st May 2011 -59200
    mortgage overpayment started July 2011
    • Tinkerbell1982
    • By Tinkerbell1982 5th Sep 11, 9:13 AM
    • 16 Posts
    • 174 Thanks
    Tinkerbell1982
    Well until reading these posts I had never tried Al*i (which is about 30 steps from the Mr A I use every week!) I decided to nip in rather than face the queues in Mr A and couldn't believe it, I got a pack of 3 peppers and a pack of 3 large onions for 1.30, I usually pay more than for 2 peppers!! And the couple in front of me got a trolley full of food for 40 . i will definitley be going there from now on.

Anyway after the weekend I am now at 62.91 / 240
    1 debt in 100 days: 107.28 / 737.38

Sept Grocery Challenge: 140.00 / 240.00
    • positivelypurple
    • By positivelypurple 5th Sep 11, 9:44 AM
    • 400 Posts
    • 3,877 Thanks
    positivelypurple
    We went to the supermarket this morning to top on fruit for the DC's packed lunches. We also picked up some cereal bars and a few other bits for a total of 20. That is it until Saturday now. Going to be very firm on this and ensure that we eat up what we've got.

As things stand now, I'm slightly over budget and will need to spend less than 90 on the weekly and midweek top up shops until the end of the month. I will be more mindful of what I'm buying.

I've cooked up a huge pot of meat sauce - half for tea tonight and what ever is left for my lunch tomorrow and then the rest will be frozen for one of next week's meals.
    CC1 930 CC2 5850 Total Debt May 14 7087.50 6780
    NSDs October 0/20
    Weight Loss 0/10
    Pay off 3000 by 31st December 2015
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

3,701Posts Today

8,489Users online

Martin's Twitter