Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Alison_B
    • By Alison_B 22nd Apr 05, 10:32 AM
    • 2,096Posts
    • 1,833Thanks
    Alison_B
    Whats the difference
    • 22nd Apr 05, 10:32 AM
    Whats the difference 22nd Apr 05 at 10:32 AM
    I am just doing an internet shop and I want to order some vegetable lard. What is the difference (if any) between Trex vegetable fat and Spry Crisp N Dry solid cooking oil. I want it to make pastry with?

Thanks

Alison
Page 1
    • Debt_Free_Chick
    • By Debt_Free_Chick 22nd Apr 05, 10:34 AM
    • 13,149 Posts
    • 9,492 Thanks
    Debt_Free_Chick
    • 22nd Apr 05, 10:34 AM
    • 22nd Apr 05, 10:34 AM
    Probably not a lot, but I tend to use Trex for pastry.
    • Ticklemouse
    • By Ticklemouse 22nd Apr 05, 10:51 AM
    • 4,896 Posts
    • 5,486 Thanks
    Ticklemouse
    • 22nd Apr 05, 10:51 AM
    • 22nd Apr 05, 10:51 AM
    Thing to remember with vegetarian alternatives is that they seem to be made up of hydrogenated vegetable oils, which are really really bad for you (allegedly). At least with butter/lard, the body can break natural stuff down, it can't with HVO's
    • Alison_B
    • By Alison_B 22nd Apr 05, 10:53 AM
    • 2,096 Posts
    • 1,833 Thanks
    Alison_B
    • 22nd Apr 05, 10:53 AM
    • 22nd Apr 05, 10:53 AM
    But can you make pastry with all butter? I am vegetarian, so don't eat traditional lard.

Thanks

Alison
    • Ticklemouse
    • By Ticklemouse 22nd Apr 05, 10:57 AM
    • 4,896 Posts
    • 5,486 Thanks
    Ticklemouse
    • 22nd Apr 05, 10:57 AM
    • 22nd Apr 05, 10:57 AM
    I'm sure I have in the past, Alison. It does have a different texture though. Lard makes it lighter and flakier so I'm presuming butter makes it richer. It's a long time since i made it, so can't remember. Try it and see
    • Debt_Free_Chick
    • By Debt_Free_Chick 22nd Apr 05, 10:59 AM
    • 13,149 Posts
    • 9,492 Thanks
    Debt_Free_Chick
    • 22nd Apr 05, 10:59 AM
    • 22nd Apr 05, 10:59 AM
    But can you make pastry with all butter? I am vegetarian, so don't eat traditional lard.

Thanks

Alison
    by Alison_B
    Yes, but if shortcrust, it will be richer and not quite so "short" ie. crisp.

However, there are vegetable lards, not derived from animal substances. I believe this includes Trex. Not sure about Crisp & Dry.

You'll need to check the labels.
    • Debt_Free_Chick
    • By Debt_Free_Chick 22nd Apr 05, 11:13 AM
    • 13,149 Posts
    • 9,492 Thanks
    Debt_Free_Chick
    • 22nd Apr 05, 11:13 AM
    • 22nd Apr 05, 11:13 AM
    Yes, according to this, Trex is all vegetable, so can be used in any recipe in place of lard - especially pastry.

I've used it for years ... dunno why, it just seems to do the trick. I do sometimes make a rich shortcrust using half butter and half Trex.

For flaky & rough puff, I generally use butter only.

HTH
  • bugs
    • 22nd Apr 05, 11:47 AM
    • 22nd Apr 05, 11:47 AM
    Pastry made with butter is nice; I also sometimes make it with just sunflower oil, which is pleasant but very crumbly - more for a tart than a pasty, say.

You can get Pure organic margarine or Yeo Valley spreadable butter, which both avoid HVO but might still make for a lighter pastry than all butter.
    It is not the greatness of a man's means that makes him independent, so much as the smallness of his wants. (William Cobbett)
    • Magentasue
    • By Magentasue 22nd Apr 05, 11:57 AM
    • 4,201 Posts
    • 2,671 Thanks
    Magentasue
    • 22nd Apr 05, 11:57 AM
    • 22nd Apr 05, 11:57 AM
    I only use butter and olive oil so I use butter for ALL baking including pastry.
  • Turning_into_scrooge

Thanks

Alison
    by Alison_B
    If i haven't got any lard in the fridge i make pastry with all butter, turns out fine just very rich
  • Ted_Hutchinson
    If you use olive and canola oils when cooking instead of margarine and butter you will be choosing the least harmful option.

100g/4oz Plain Flour 1/8 teasp Salt 2 tbsp Olive Oil
    1 tbsp Water 1 large Egg, beaten
    1. Place the flour and salt in a large mixing bowl and combine well.
    2. Add the oil and blend with an electric mixer then add the water and egg and mix well. The mixture should be crumbly, but moist.
    3. Gather the mixture together with your hands and form into a ball, but do not knead. Wrap in clingfilm and refrigerate for at least 30 minutes.
    Use and cook as shortcrust pastry.
    You may find it's a bit harder to handle than using hydrogenated oils or butter but you could try rolling it between sheets of greaseproof paper.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

133Posts Today

2,125Users online

Martin's Twitter