Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
Page 1
    • telsco
    • By telsco 23rd Aug 11, 7:58 PM
    • 101 Posts
    • 429 Thanks
    telsco
    • 23rd Aug 11, 7:58 PM
    • 23rd Aug 11, 7:58 PM
    When you find a pair you like, tell your friend. She may be able to get them for you from her supplier - maybe even cheaper.
    • billbennett
    • By billbennett 23rd Aug 11, 8:02 PM
    • 2,270 Posts
    • 1,623 Thanks
    billbennett
    • 23rd Aug 11, 8:02 PM
    • 23rd Aug 11, 8:02 PM
    Very wise advice from @telsco there, I agree completely.

Give your friend a chance to "beat that deal", so to speak.

I work on commission in my job (mobile phone shop) and would do the best I could for a friend to get them the best deal and cheapest price, but if they could get it cheaper elsewhere, I wouldn't feel offended.

In fact, more often than not, I'll point friends to the truly cheapest deal, then they'll offer to reimburse me the commission I lost by not selling the (more expensive) deal to them. ;-)
    In "Monopoly", what makes the "Super Tax" so super?
    • pjsmiffy
    • By pjsmiffy 23rd Aug 11, 8:31 PM
    • 61 Posts
    • 45 Thanks
    pjsmiffy
    • 23rd Aug 11, 8:31 PM
    • 23rd Aug 11, 8:31 PM
    A friend of mine had the same dilemma with a bike shop...

Personally I would see my friend for the prescription explain the finance side and go on-line for the glasses.
    Also glasses are discounted if you are on tax credits.

Your friend may offer to find you discounted/cheaper glasses
  • mayling03
    • 23rd Aug 11, 8:45 PM
    • 23rd Aug 11, 8:45 PM
    Agree with above, speak to the friend and if she can't beat it then that's fine. If she was your real friend she would not want to rip you off either. When I use to work at Vodafone, I would not have been offended if they could get a cheper deal. But I definitely would not accept the money for what commission I would have made. This is not how me and my friends work.
  • euterpe13
    • 23rd Aug 11, 8:47 PM
    • 23rd Aug 11, 8:47 PM
    See you friend, give her an idea of your budget, and let her try to match. If she can't then, go elsewhere - there is no shame in being price-conscious, and a true friend will understand your situation - she may surprise you, give her a chance.
    • scotsbob
    • By scotsbob 23rd Aug 11, 9:35 PM
    • 4,462 Posts
    • 6,958 Thanks
    scotsbob
    • 23rd Aug 11, 9:35 PM
    • 23rd Aug 11, 9:35 PM
    You buy the spectacles you want. If your friend comments you tell her you didn't think she sold the brand you bought, that is why you didn't go to her. However you will bear her in mind when you buy your next pair.
  • Greenfly
    • 23rd Aug 11, 11:21 PM
    • 23rd Aug 11, 11:21 PM
    If she's a true friend then she'll definately understand your situation and requirements/needs. She won't be offended.
  • bogwart
    • 23rd Aug 11, 11:40 PM
    • 23rd Aug 11, 11:40 PM
    Just tell her that you don't want to spend loadsamoney on designer glasses. They're all a rip-off anyway with only two or three manufacturers of lenses and frames, and you can get excellent quality glasses from the links on this site for as little as 6.95. I have bought several pairs from these people in the last couple of years and have never been dissatisfied.

There is a big mark-up on these items and you never know - your friend may have some ideas of her own. But do be completely frank with her if she's a friend.
    • _nate
    • By _nate 24th Aug 11, 5:26 AM
    • 60 Posts
    • 39 Thanks
    _nate
    No. (Get contact lenses...)
  • MikeCC
    What telsco said. Give your friend the opportunity to offer a deal. I wouldn't avoid her on the matter unless your budget is really tight.

I'm often in the same situation as the optician being socially involved in the activity area I trade in. I do the best deal I can for people that ask but sometimes it just can't be done. I don't expect people to pay me more for something they can get cheaper elsewhere and I'm not upset when that happens. I'm more disappointed if they don't think to approach me about it though.
  • bennett2kuk
    They're your glasses and it's your choice where you get them. That being said you could mention you were looking at getting some cheap glasses and ask what she has. If they're too expensive explain you don't want to spend that much and buy them from somewhere else.
    • Ebenezer_Screwj
    • By Ebenezer_Screwj 24th Aug 11, 8:56 AM
    • 420 Posts
    • 229 Thanks
    Ebenezer_Screwj
    Independent opticians are notoriously expensive, buy what you can afford where you like. Your friend will know the reason and if she gets offended that is just too bad.
  • SallyinYorkshire
    Has your friend offered to sell you the expensive glasses at cost? Or would she be upset that you'd deprived her of her just profit?

If the first, see what she's got and whether you like it. Maybe find something you like on a cheap website and show her, and see if she can match it or explain why the frames she supplies are better.

If the second, well, you could just write her a cheque for whatever you think the friendship's worth. About 3p should do it, I reckon.
    • timbstoke
    • By timbstoke 24th Aug 11, 10:38 AM
    • 958 Posts
    • 1,232 Thanks
    timbstoke
    As others have said - do your research. Tesco 10 frames are fine for day-to-day use, for example, and the links in this weeks newsletter for 29 designer frames is also worth a look. When you've made your mind up what you want, ask your friend what she thinks - you don't have to ask her to price match (which can be seen as a bit cheeky), just ask if it's a good deal. If she offers to match the price, by all means buy from her. If she can't match the price, she knows in advance that you've got a deal she can't compete with.
  • ISAmad
    Bit of a non-dilemma this week Martin.

Can we have something more provocative next week...

Oh, yeah sorry, the 'dilemma': Your money, your choice
  • Claires01
    I don't really see this as much of a dilemma, ask you friend what the best price is that she can do you glasses for is, if its too dear then explain this to her and go elsewhere.

If she were a true friend she would understand.
    • gaily
    • By gaily 24th Aug 11, 11:58 AM
    • 188 Posts
    • 157 Thanks
    gaily
    Find what you like, at your budget, and then go to her.

Tell her your budget, and that you'd like to use her, but can't afford her prices. She may offer you hers at cost (and you may get a shock at the mark up) or she may be able to source what you're after at an agreeable price.

Involve her, and then at least she knows why you've got new specs if you don't go to her.
    Always on the hunt for a bargain. :rolleyes:

Always grateful for any hints, tips or guidance as to where the best deals are
    • Gillsx
    • By Gillsx 24th Aug 11, 12:18 PM
    • 56 Posts
    • 42 Thanks
    Gillsx
    This isn't a dilemma. Get your specs where you want to get them from and tell her you bought elsewhere as it was cheaper. If she doesn't like it then she is not a friend!
  • stingyC
    My friend is a Bugatti dealer and another a Ferrari dealer. Would they be offended if I bought a Fiesta? Er no. Next question please
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

3,579Posts Today

9,939Users online

Martin's Twitter