Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • MSE Guy
    • By MSE Guy 19th Aug 11, 1:49 PM
    • 1,628Posts
    • 1,255Thanks
    MSE Guy
    MSE News: Petrol price fall 'not passed on'
    • 19th Aug 11, 1:49 PM
    MSE News: Petrol price fall 'not passed on' 19th Aug 11 at 1:49 PM
    This is the discussion thread for the following MSE News Story:

"The dip in the price of petrol at the pumps has failed to match the fall in wholesale prices, the AA reveals ..."

Page 1
  • fadetogrey
    • 19th Aug 11, 2:10 PM
    • 19th Aug 11, 2:10 PM
    The excuse used to be "we pay for our oil 4/6 months ahead and the price rose in that time",now they blame it on "currency differentials" either way when oil prices rise the pump price does instantly whereas when it falls the excuses are plentiful as to why petrol cannot.
    counting down the time I got left.
    • robrymond
    • By robrymond 19th Aug 11, 4:05 PM
    • 586 Posts
    • 153 Thanks
    robrymond
    • 19th Aug 11, 4:05 PM
    • 19th Aug 11, 4:05 PM
    Currency is not far off a 52 week high as well as we go into this evening, so its utter crap once again.
    • kilasuit
    • By kilasuit 19th Aug 11, 5:57 PM
    • 651 Posts
    • 705 Thanks
    kilasuit
    • 19th Aug 11, 5:57 PM
    • 19th Aug 11, 5:57 PM
    Prices are averaging 130.9 a litre in shropshire
    12000 to go
    Sealed pot = 5.84

• corbyboy
    • By corbyboy 19th Aug 11, 8:40 PM
    • 1,137 Posts
    • 1,378 Thanks
    corbyboy
    • 19th Aug 11, 8:40 PM
    • 19th Aug 11, 8:40 PM
    I blame the news agencies like the BBC who broadcast the lies of the petrol companies. They have them on for interview on breakfast TV and they never challenge these people when they tell lies.
    • Print Screen
    • By Print Screen 20th Aug 11, 8:19 AM
    • 330 Posts
    • 195 Thanks
    Print Screen
    • 20th Aug 11, 8:19 AM
    • 20th Aug 11, 8:19 AM
    MSE News: Petrol price fall 'not passed on'

In other news : Pope found to be catholic and bears really do do it in the woods
    If freedom is outlawed, only outlaws will have freedom.
  • dogsbody123
    • 20th Aug 11, 8:48 AM
    Tesco dishonest
    • 20th Aug 11, 8:48 AM
    I am sick of reading stories that Tesco have reduced their fuel prices in line with other supermarkets. Asda in Brighton has reduced unleaded to 130.7 per litre but Tesco in Burgess Hill 7 miles away still charge 135.9per litre. They only say they are reducing the price but rarely seem to do it .
    • theguru
    • By theguru 20th Aug 11, 1:05 PM
    • 641 Posts
    • 392 Thanks
    theguru
    • 20th Aug 11, 1:05 PM
    • 20th Aug 11, 1:05 PM
    The excuse about the exchange rate is crazy, 2 years ago the pound was as low as $1.36 to the 1.00, its now $1.65 to the 1.00 yet they keep saying prices are high because the pound is weak against the dollar, rubbish its stayed higher now than over the last 2 years....
    Why doesn't anyone mention this when the oil companies blame the weak pound!
  • fadetogrey
    • 20th Aug 11, 2:00 PM
    • 20th Aug 11, 2:00 PM
    The excuse about the exchange rate is crazy, 2 years ago the pound was as low as $1.36 to the 1.00, its now $1.65 to the 1.00 yet they keep saying prices are high because the pound is weak against the dollar, rubbish its stayed higher now than over the last 2 years....
    Why doesn't anyone mention this when the oil companies blame the weak pound!
    Originally posted by theguru
    I agree,when the pounds low they blame that and also when its high they blame that too.my eldest daughter lives in n.ireland and the garage near her is charging 1.38 a litre for petrol and 1.41 for diesel.She got 900 litres of home heating oil 2 weeks back and it cost her 531.
    counting down the time I got left.
    • shadowspy24
    • By shadowspy24 21st Aug 11, 12:24 PM
    • 232 Posts
    • 118 Thanks
    shadowspy24
    If prices eventually do fall, the government's only just gonna see an opportunity to stick on a couple of pence in taxes anyway. So no matter what happens the poor motorist is in a lose-lose situation.
  • Ian9266
    Tescos in Carrickfergus Northern Ireland sells diesel at 135.9 and unleaded is 131.9. They used to be the cheapest but when they have their 5ppl off they always put their price up by a few pence. However, now that you can use upto 3 coupons now achieving 15ppl off it works out very well especially if putting 50+ litres into the car.
    • andygb
    • By andygb 23rd Aug 11, 7:43 AM
    • 12,975 Posts
    • 29,222 Thanks
    andygb
    I watched the news yesterday, all the so called financial experts explaining the rise and fall in oil prices, the effect which the Libyan crisis has (lower oil prices), yet nobody asked any probing questions about fuel prices.
    Are we really a nation of sheep, so weak that we simply accept what is happening?
    There is no justification at all for the price of petrol at the moment.
    Every time the barrel price rises, so petrol prices follow immediately.
    Every time oil prices fall, we simply wait, and to be honest it is a bit like waiting to see Father Christmas or the Tooth Fairy.
    We elect the politicians, we should be demanding that they put a halt to this profiteering. There is a recession, everyone is struggling, except the bankers, politicians and the oil companies and speculators.
    • davidgmmafan
    • By davidgmmafan 23rd Aug 11, 5:10 PM
    • 1,446 Posts
    • 522 Thanks
    davidgmmafan
    Agreed, I'm not sure what's worse Gordon Brown pretending to care whilst having the front to blame the oil barons when the cost is mostly tax, or the current lot who don't even mention it at all.

Its quite irritating how they can examine say the 50 p tax rate to see if it makes economic sense yet bizarrly the same principle isn't applied here. The argument might even be stronger here. Who knows how many people have point off expanding thier business, or even starting one, because of the eye watering cost of petrol and diesel.

PS there was a guy on the radio arguing that it was only a metter of time before the revenue raised declined as prices went up. Don't know if he's right but its an interesting argument.
    Mixed Martial Arts is the greatest sport known to mankind and anyone who says it is 'a bar room brawl' has never trained in it and has no idea what they are talking about.
  • Kimberleigh2
    What do Really Expect?
    Regardless of the latest excuses, we have been bled white on the cost of our petrol for years. And why does it keep happening? Because the British are so apathetic and refuse to stand up and be counted.

If the American politicians even dared to impose these costs on their constituents, they would be lynched in the streets - the American public would not stand for it, and they know it. Consequently, everything they buy is cheaper because the cost of oil to produce it and to transport it is so much cheaper.

Until the British can answer the question "so what are you going to do about it?" with something other than a wimpy shrug of the shoulders and the reply "well what can you do?" this country will keep on and on taxing them till it hurts and beyond. You need to get on to your MP and tell them that if they dont do something about the cost of petrol right now, they wont get your vote at the next election. Say it, and mean it.
    • grizzly1911
    • By grizzly1911 24th Aug 11, 8:46 PM
    • 9,818 Posts
    • 11,414 Thanks
    grizzly1911
    Heard an item on the radio at the end of last week that suggested the Government wanted to add 8p/l in duty/tax next year......

I am currently filling at 1.347 for Diesel at Asda. It is 10 miles from home but I use it as I pass. The next one 5 miles from home is a brand forecourt at 1.359 and the one at home is a supermarket charging 1.399

It is always way over the top and I have challenged the management who just say we make nothing on it and the others are merely loss leaders yes but the branded forecourt is cheaper it was 9p/l more just recently for a couple of weeks.

They also offer 5p/l a litre off if you buy xx of food (expensive IMO). In my mind this just suggests both fuel and food are individually overpriced.

Oh and this is in spitting distance of a major motorway not deepest Peru.

"If you act like an illiterate man, your learning will never stop... Being uneducated, you have no fear of the future.".....

"big business is parasitic, like a mosquito, whereas I prefer the lighter touch, like that of a butterfly. "A butterfly can suck honey from the flower without damaging it," "Arunachalam Muruganantham
  • isitmeor
    Reduce The Price Of Petrol
    The answer often given by the oil companies is no longer acceptable. That answer normally being "we make very little from forecourt sales" They of course do not include in the same statement details of what is earned from drilling and refining. If, for instance I owned a bakery and also a chain of shops, I could sell my bread to the shops making a 100% profit on my investment. However, if the shop sells the bread and makes only 15% I could quite openly and honestly say that the shops make little profit. This does however not mean that I am not a happy chappy at the end of the day.In order to help ourselves we, the British public need to change the way we think and act when buying petrol. Many, many years ago, at least as far back as the 70's the petrol retailers started to condition us into buying fuel in a certain way. We started buying in chunks of 5.00, 6.00, 10.00 etc. at a time. This practice was driven by a focus on collecting points or tokens which in turn "awarded" us with "prizes"!! Still, to this day I see people buying fuel in this way, although such promotions are not often available.
    If we, (as many in the USA do), were to fill up our tanks, or for the not so well off, put a set amount of litres in on each occasion, the varying price of fuel would be more evident. We in turn would be more likely to shop around for the best price per litre, thus creating greater forecourt competition which in turn should help drive down the cost of fuel at the pump.
    But... it would be naive to believe a solution to be this easy, wouldn't it. In reality I think some slightly stronger medicine maybe required for this patient.
    Idea Number 1:

Make it law that no company, nor any of it's subsiduaries can both drill for oil and at the same time be "in any way" involved in the retail of fuel. Forecourts could once again operate in a competitive way and offer a fairer price to the public. We would still need some fairly large forecourt chains to exist in order for them to have the necessary leverage when buying their stock from the big boys who may otherwise refuse to "play the new game". After all, it is their ball, but in reality they cannot take it away if they have no other way of selling it through to the public. They would (one would hope) be forced to compete for the custom of the retail trade and therefore lower the cost of fuel, as much of these savings would be passed on by the newly competitive retail industry.

Read the full story at isitmeor.co.uk
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

133Posts Today

1,479Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • Quick twitter poll: Will Theresa May still be the PM of the UK a week today?

• Thank you for all the sensitive teeth rememedies. I'm going to try (not the alchohol ones though - on air early tomorrow)

• Grrrr. I've sensitive tooth pain after going to the dentist last week for a filling. I've been putting sensodyne? https://t.co/A1Q8sdSukK

• Follow Martin