Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Former MSE Helen
    • By Former MSE Helen 10th Aug 11, 10:06 AM
    • 2,324Posts
    • 971Thanks
    Former MSE Helen
    0 WOW
    MSE News: Airline price transparency to be investigated
    • 10th Aug 11, 10:06 AM
    0 WOW
    MSE News: Airline price transparency to be investigated 10th Aug 11 at 10:06 AM
    This is the discussion thread for the following MSE News Story:

"Rules on how airlines display prices are being investigated by the European Commission ..."

Page 1
    • richardw
    • By richardw 10th Aug 11, 10:18 AM
    • 18,965 Posts
    • 8,003 Thanks
    richardw
    • 10th Aug 11, 10:18 AM
    • 10th Aug 11, 10:18 AM
    "However, some airlines stretch the rules to the max by charging consumers to pay by plastic unless they have an extremely rare type of card."

But they aren't 'extremely rare', they are just 'not as common as" other cards. They should just pass on the 'actual cost' of card charges, so the headline price should include the 'actual cost' of the most expensive card they accept.
    Last edited by richardw; 10-08-2011 at 10:21 AM.
    • callum9999
    • By callum9999 10th Aug 11, 10:35 AM
    • 3,950 Posts
    • 2,408 Thanks
    callum9999
    • 10th Aug 11, 10:35 AM
    • 10th Aug 11, 10:35 AM
    I know it's not really in the spirit of consumer good - but I'm personally glad they do this. Because many people are either too thick or too lazy to do a simple google search and avoid the card fees, the huge revenue airlines get from it means it's cheaper for me to fly.

The two major budget airlines (Ryanair/Easyjet) require a Prepaid Mastercard/Visa Electron. Although not exactly common, these cards are incredibly simple to get so anyone paying these exorbitant fees only have themselves to blame.
    • malkie76
    • By malkie76 10th Aug 11, 10:46 AM
    • 5,673 Posts
    • 6,698 Thanks
    malkie76
    • 10th Aug 11, 10:46 AM
    • 10th Aug 11, 10:46 AM
    The thing is, you get to see the bottomline price BEFORE you click purchase, so I fail to see the issue.
  • dobby99
    • 10th Aug 11, 11:58 AM
    • 10th Aug 11, 11:58 AM
    Ryanair say that card charges are "avoidable" & so dont have to include them in the costs advertised as they dont charge for PrePaid MasterCards. However, I tried to pay with a PrePaid FairFx MasterCard recently (as per advice given on this site) & Ryanairs booking system would only accept it if I said the card was a Standard MasterCard - & they duly charged me 36!
    • antenna
    • By antenna 10th Aug 11, 12:52 PM
    • 1,660 Posts
    • 991 Thanks
    antenna
    • 10th Aug 11, 12:52 PM
    • 10th Aug 11, 12:52 PM
    I paid with a FairFx pre-paid mastercard yesterday and last week, and payments went through straightaway........what are you doing wrong?
    Political?....I dont do Political....well,not much!
    • Consumerist
    • By Consumerist 10th Aug 11, 4:27 PM
    • 5,198 Posts
    • 2,602 Thanks
    Consumerist
    • 10th Aug 11, 4:27 PM
    • 10th Aug 11, 4:27 PM
    Rules on how airlines display prices are being investigated by the European Commission (EC).
    Will I live long enough to see any change?
    Warning: In the kingdom of the blind, the one-eyed man is king.
    • dobsoncrew
    • By dobsoncrew 10th Aug 11, 9:55 PM
    • 121 Posts
    • 42 Thanks
    dobsoncrew
    • 10th Aug 11, 9:55 PM
    • 10th Aug 11, 9:55 PM
    Day light robbery
    • Consumerist
    • By Consumerist 11th Aug 11, 1:11 PM
    • 5,198 Posts
    • 2,602 Thanks
    Consumerist
    • 11th Aug 11, 1:11 PM
    • 11th Aug 11, 1:11 PM
    The thing is, you get to see the bottomline price BEFORE you click purchase, so I fail to see the issue.
    Originally posted by malkie76
    I think the thing is that you need to complete several pages of a booking form before you get to the bottom line and this makes comparisons very time consuming so that making comparisons is positively discouraged.
    • callum9999
    • By callum9999 11th Aug 11, 2:52 PM
    • 3,950 Posts
    • 2,408 Thanks
    callum9999
    Ryanair say that card charges are "avoidable" & so dont have to include them in the costs advertised as they dont charge for PrePaid MasterCards. However, I tried to pay with a PrePaid FairFx MasterCard recently (as per advice given on this site) & Ryanairs booking system would only accept it if I said the card was a Standard MasterCard - & they duly charged me 36!
    Originally posted by dobby99
    I paid with a FairFX Mastercard 2 days ago and it worked fine - it's clearly a quirk and not something they are doing deliberately. If anything, I'd imagine it's a problem on FairFX's end for not properly registering the card type in whatever database is used. (That's only a guess considering mine works perfectly though - I have no idea how the backend works).

I think the thing is that you need to complete several pages of a booking form before you get to the bottom line and this makes comparisons very time consuming so that making comparisons is positively discouraged.
    Originally posted by Consumerist
    No you don't. You can pay the price you see on the very first page - only extras like paying with the wrong card, baggage, priority boarding etc. are added later on. On Ryanair these are all added on the 2nd (maybe 3rd) page - hardly torturous.
    • Consumerist
    • By Consumerist 11th Aug 11, 3:14 PM
    • 5,198 Posts
    • 2,602 Thanks
    Consumerist
    I paid with a FairFX Mastercard 2 days ago and it worked fine - it's clearly a quirk and not something they are doing deliberately.
    Originally posted by callum9999

Forgive me for suspecting that you work for the airline industry.
    • Consumerist
    • By Consumerist 11th Aug 11, 3:17 PM
    • 5,198 Posts
    • 2,602 Thanks
    Consumerist
    On Ryanair these are all added on the 2nd (maybe 3rd) page - hardly torturous.
    Originally posted by callum9999
    . . . but designed to obstruct quick and easy comparisons.
    • ericonabike
    • By ericonabike 11th Aug 11, 3:28 PM
    • 329 Posts
    • 154 Thanks
    ericonabike
    I used to enjoy the battle of wits that buying a ticket from Ryanair entails. I opened an Electron account - they moved to some even more obscure piece of plastic that I'd never heard of. But at least the 'loophole' of not paying exorbitant charges simply to give them my money still existed. They then introduced a fee for checking in online. That did it for me. There is no way of avoiding the 'additional fee' yet they still label it as such. And the irony of paying a surcharge for saving Ryanair money by checking in online rather than via human interaction must be making O'Leary roll on the floor laughing as he wonders what next he can get away with. An optional seat facilitation fee perhaps, that entitles you to use the seating facilities and without which you can't board?
    • chattychappy
    • By chattychappy 11th Aug 11, 4:50 PM
    • 7,083 Posts
    • 3,918 Thanks
    chattychappy
    Yet another public body spending our money on an enquiry - supposedly in an effort to protect us from ourselves.

The real scandal is lack of transparency when it comes to taxes - including APD that is put onto flights. It has been jacked up several times under the guise of being a "green" tax. It now far exceeds the cost of carbon offsetting (for those that believe in such things) but the money just goes into the treasury pot.
    • Consumerist
    • By Consumerist 11th Aug 11, 4:57 PM
    • 5,198 Posts
    • 2,602 Thanks
    Consumerist
    . . . as he wonders what next he can get away with.
    Originally posted by ericonabike
    Cheap flights to Rome, Heathrow airport, I shouldn't wonder.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

1,408Posts Today

6,931Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • Today's Twitter Poll: Will you be voting in tomorrows European elections? If so will it be for a party you've no? https://t.co/YJ9XqAZ8u4

• This is a very useful and interesting, factual piece about what the PM's new Brexit proposals mean and how new they? https://t.co/qM1bCz6FZp

• After two cancellations, I'm on the 3rd train back from Manch. Just heard its being rerouted as someone's taken tak? https://t.co/sRO4cvoWIw

• Follow Martin