Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • MSE Guy
    • By MSE Guy 9th Aug 11, 10:42 AM
    • 1,628Posts
    • 1,255Thanks
    MSE Guy
    MSE News: London and UK riots: your financial rights
    • 9th Aug 11, 10:42 AM
    MSE News: London and UK riots: your financial rights 9th Aug 11 at 10:42 AM
    This is the discussion thread for the following MSE News Story:

"Find out what help is on hand if you've been affected by the disorder, including whether insurance will pay out ..."

Last edited by MSE Guy; 11-08-2011 at 2:13 PM.
Page 1
    • vaio
    • By vaio 9th Aug 11, 11:20 AM
    • 11,895 Posts
    • 8,840 Thanks
    vaio
    • 9th Aug 11, 11:20 AM
    • 9th Aug 11, 11:20 AM
    A bit of research on the riot act might be useful for those who don’t have insurance.

My understanding was that the police (having failed in their duty to protect property) were liable for damage done in riot situations.

Obvious questions include the mechanism for uninsured people to access this help, what defines a riot, an indication of likely time scale etc etc
    • TwistedPsycho
    • By TwistedPsycho 9th Aug 11, 11:21 AM
    • 780 Posts
    • 1,016 Thanks
    TwistedPsycho
    • 9th Aug 11, 11:21 AM
    • 9th Aug 11, 11:21 AM
    Wasn't the Riot Act repealled because it was last used in 1929?
    Signaller, author, father, carer.
    • vaio
    • By vaio 9th Aug 11, 11:42 AM
    • 11,895 Posts
    • 8,840 Thanks
    vaio
    • 9th Aug 11, 11:42 AM
    • 9th Aug 11, 11:42 AM
    A bit of research on the riot act The Riot (Damages) Act 1886 might be useful for those who don’t have insurance.

My understanding was that the police (having failed in their duty to protect property) were liable for damage done in riot situations.

Obvious questions include the mechanism for uninsured people to access this help, what defines a riot, an indication of likely time scale etc etc
  • rupertjames
    • 9th Aug 11, 12:13 PM
    More info
    • 9th Aug 11, 12:13 PM
    There are some comprehensive car insurance policies that do not appear to cover riot damage, namely KGM, Zurich Connect & Highway - see Adrian Flux's blog post on the subject.
    • vaio
    • By vaio 9th Aug 11, 12:54 PM
    • 11,895 Posts
    • 8,840 Thanks
    vaio
    • 9th Aug 11, 12:54 PM
    • 9th Aug 11, 12:54 PM
    That’s bad news because a superficial reading of the riot damages act seems to indicate that it only covers buildings & contents.
    • daveboy
    • By daveboy 9th Aug 11, 3:43 PM
    • 1,332 Posts
    • 736 Thanks
    daveboy
    • 9th Aug 11, 3:43 PM
    • 9th Aug 11, 3:43 PM
    In relation to insurance.....I'd be looking for the words force majeure.

A quick search on Google and I found this from Virgin Atlantic (purely to be used as an example):

'Force Majeure' means any circumstances which are unusual and/or unforeseeable which are beyond the control of Virgin Holidays, the consequence of which could not have been avoided even if all due care had been exercised, including (but not limited to) war or threat of war; riot; civil strife; hostilities; political unrest; government action; industrial dispute; natural or other disaster; nuclear incident; terrorist activity; weather conditions; closure of airports; fire; flood; drought; re-scheduling or cancellation of flights or alteration of the aircraft type by an airline and technical problems with transportation that are outside our control.

Compensation will not be payable and we will not otherwise be liable to you if we are forced to cancel, delay or curtail or in any way change your reservation as a result of 'force majeure' as detailed above.
    • Oneday77
    • By Oneday77 9th Aug 11, 4:45 PM
    • 1,217 Posts
    • 1,009 Thanks
    Oneday77
    • 9th Aug 11, 4:45 PM
    • 9th Aug 11, 4:45 PM
    Could I maybe suggest that MSE make this information more open to people other than online.
    Possibly lobby the papers, TV and radio.
    Some people may not have access online and at this rate the poorest are loosing out the most, so need to know.

As for anyone thinking this current behaviour is acceptable and caused by politics, go live somewhere there are no politics.
    I hear Lybia and Syria are nice this time of year.
    New PV club member. 3.99kW system. Solar Edge with 14 x 285W JA Solar panels. 55 West from south and 35 pitch.
    • Sally A
    • By Sally A 9th Aug 11, 7:31 PM
    • 2,227 Posts
    • 5,840 Thanks
    Sally A
    • 9th Aug 11, 7:31 PM
    • 9th Aug 11, 7:31 PM
    Anyhow...back to reality.....

Log a claim of potential loss to your insurers a s a p, even if you are not allowed to view the damage due to cordons etc. If your insurers have any chance of reclaiming from the police/government the claim should be logged within 5, 7 or 14 days depending on which news release you read.

If you can't get to your premises to assess possible damage, still log it with your insurers a s a p, as this would still come under the Denial of Access section.

• spermwhale
    Riots
    Some Insurance companies are going to try and wriggle out of some of the claims like they usually do, but one to look out for is "Riots"
    For an incident to be classed as a Riot a senior police Officer must read aloud at the scene the "Riot Act" if it isnt then the so called riot is NOT A Riot, it is just disturbance.
  • angie pilk
    There are some comprehensive car insurance policies that do not appear to cover riot damage, namely KGM, Zurich Connect & Highway - see Adrian Flux's blog post on the subject.
    Originally posted by rupertjames
    this is true. i had my car burnt out in 1981 toxteth riots..knock on effect through media coverage 13 cars got set on fire in bolton mine being 1 of em..fully comp ..small print due to mallicious damage ..not covered. caught 2 lads in court morning after had first lad got 6 months prison and half my cars costs he paid 50p a week for yrs after. other lad got slapped hands n no money to me cause he was under 18..and it cost me 450 for 2 weeks car insurance. did not get any rebate.right ill get off my soap box . good luck to all you victims.
    • problemcashback
    • By problemcashback 10th Aug 11, 11:53 AM
    • 258 Posts
    • 215 Thanks
    problemcashback
    http://www.thisismoney.co.uk/money/news/article-2024380/UK-riots-2011-Taxpayers-pay-damage-reach-200m.html

insurance co not having to pay out, tax payers liable
    Last edited by problemcashback; 10-08-2011 at 6:52 PM.
  • Tigggger
    Assuming the event is officially deemed a riot under section 1 of the Public Order Act, the ABI says the police/Government must compensate individuals and businesses that suffer loss or damage as a result of a riot, if a claim is made. There is no cap on the level of compensation.
    And that is why despite the fact that every commentator, newspaper and and TV station has called it a riot you have not heard a single senior police officer or politician use the 'R' word
  • no_choice_now
    And that is why despite the fact that every commentator, newspaper and and TV station has called it a riot you have not heard a single senior police officer or politician use the 'R' word
    Originally posted by Tigggger
    Because it hides inconvenient truths about who the trouble makers actually are of course.
    • Sensible_Jess
    • By Sensible_Jess 10th Aug 11, 2:23 PM
    • 254 Posts
    • 435 Thanks
    Sensible_Jess
    It would be really helpful if people could post successes on here.
    I fear many insurers may try and wiggle out of paying claims, despite saying otherwise to the media.
    But, as previous MSE posts have shown, sometimes they will pay up if you stand your ground and shout loud enough. Knowing that they have paid out to others will help!
    • jago25_98
    • By jago25_98 10th Aug 11, 2:29 PM
    • 617 Posts
    • 129 Thanks
    jago25_98
    Do you think the rooters would have done what they did if there wasn't insurance to fall back on?
    Order of events: Banks lose our money -> get bailed out -> were inflating GBP to cover it -> now taxing us -> next will grab your funds direct -> things get really desperate to balance the books. What should have happened?: banks go bust and we lost our money much quicker
    • problemcashback
    • By problemcashback 10th Aug 11, 6:51 PM
    • 258 Posts
    • 215 Thanks
    problemcashback
    Do you think the rooters would have done what they did if there wasn't insurance to fall back on?
    Originally posted by jago25_98
    course they are muppets and dont careless, if you seen the parents on the news at tea time it was shocking. Turns out insurance companies wont have to pay out it will be the tax payers, see the thisismoney link above.
    • luxor4t
    • By luxor4t 12th Aug 11, 5:45 PM
    • 10,463 Posts
    • 37,972 Thanks
    luxor4t
    DD works in the Bull Ring & has lost 2-3 hours work daily this week due to early closures (Serious money on her low wages). The employer is 'considering the position' but has not re-rostered staff to spread the pain, so it looks like DD & 2 others will be on half pay. Any ideas what she can do, or is it just her hard luck?
    I can cook and sew, make flowers grow.
    • BAA1
    • By BAA1 13th Aug 11, 8:44 AM
    • 1,075 Posts
    • 444 Thanks
    BAA1
    I wonder if / when one of the group of solicitors will put a TV advert together to advertise their services to help people claim compensation for loses caused by these disturbances (riots) ? - Where the loss is not going to be covered by any government schemes or by an insurance policy.

Would a "class action" type of lawsuit be possible to get compensation paid by the thugs who have been convicted ? Or would individual cases be needed ?

Assumes that the thugs would have available assets that could be used to pay the compensation (Oh, I forgot the thugs are probably on benefits).
    • olly300
    • By olly300 13th Aug 11, 10:19 AM
    • 14,312 Posts
    • 13,632 Thanks
    olly300
    I wonder if / when one of the group of solicitors will put a TV advert together to advertise their services to help people claim compensation for loses caused by these disturbances (riots) ? - Where the loss is not going to be covered by any government schemes or by an insurance policy.

Would a "class action" type of lawsuit be possible to get compensation paid by the thugs who have been convicted ? Or would individual cases be needed ?

Assumes that the thugs would have available assets that could be used to pay the compensation (Oh, I forgot the thugs are probably on benefits).
    Originally posted by BAA1
    It will all be paid for by the tax payer. Due to the police standing around and not protecting property we all have to pay for it.
    I'm not cynical I'm realistic

(If a link I give opens pop ups I won't know I don't use windows)
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

2,550Posts Today

6,225Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • Can't believe my luck. Just got this email My name is Manuel Franco. I won $768.4m Lottery Jackpot. I have a don? https://t.co/OSYkS7tu2c

• It should be a poll. You are implying your view is the only view anyone can hold. Clearly the poll results show tha? https://t.co/ur0ejJ1fjB

• Today's Twitter Poll: Is milkshaking legitimate political protest or unacceptable thuggery? In recent weeks a few? https://t.co/hjCpu9zqwZ

• Follow Martin