Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    megasaver
    Cereal bars etc for diabetics
    • 19th Apr 05, 3:25 PM
    Cereal bars etc for diabetics 19th Apr 05 at 3:25 PM
    When I read the post by ETO3 today about date and banana bars which are good for diabetics
    these don't have nuts but do need baking are good for diabetics too
    by ET03
    it got me wondering if anybody else on Oldstyle had similar sweet/savoury snack type recipes for diabetics, that are cheap, easy and maybe use oats. Would love a flapjack recipe for example that is ok for diabetics. OH is diabetic and I would really like to produce some HM snacks for him as a surprise .

thanks

Mega

PS I will be making the date and banana bars as soon as I go out an buy some dates!
Page 1
  • omega
    • 20th Apr 05, 7:56 AM
    • 20th Apr 05, 7:56 AM
    This one works well for me:

Apple and oat slices (makes 16 bars)

2 tablespoons caster sugar
    250g/9oz reduced fat monounsaturated spread (I use an olive-type spread)
    2 tablespoons honey (I use runny)
    450g/1lb cooking apples, peeled, cored and sliced (I also make this with a mix of eating apples, dried apricots, roughly chopped and 2 tablespoons of orange juice instead of the water)
    175g/6oz plain wholemeal flour
    1 teaspoon baking powder
    200g/7oz rolled oats
    50g/ 1 3/4oz chopped mixed nuts or chopped hazelnuts - whatever you have in.

Pre-heat oven to 180C/350F/GM 4. Place apples, sugar and 2 tablespoons water in a saucepan, bring to the boil and simmer gently until pulpy (approx 15 mins).

Melt marg in another saucepan and stir in the honey. Remove from the heat and stir in flour, baking powder, oats and nuts. Press half of the oat mixture into the base of a lightly greased 7x11inch (18x27cm) shallow tin. Spoon over the apple mixture. Crumble the remaining oat mixture over the fruit and press down gently. Bake until evenly browned (approx 30-40 mins). Cool slightly in tin, cut, remove from the tin and cool on a wire rack. Store in the fridge. Not suitable for freezing.

Iíve always found the Diabetes UK website http://www.diabetes.org.uk/Recipes.nsf/Searchrecipes really useful. HTHs!
  • megasaver
    • 20th Apr 05, 8:06 AM
    • 20th Apr 05, 8:06 AM
    Thank you for replying and recommending that recipe. I wanted recipes that other MSEs had actually tried out as I have found some of the diabetic ones on the internet to be a bit hit and miss!
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

184Posts Today

1,466Users online

Martin's Twitter