Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • MSE Archna
    • By MSE Archna 26th Jul 11, 8:08 PM
    • 1,874Posts
    • 6,140Thanks
    MSE Archna
    Cheap Prepay Gas & Elec Article
    • 26th Jul 11, 8:08 PM
    Cheap Prepay Gas & Elec Article 26th Jul 11 at 8:08 PM

This thread is specifically to discuss the content of the

Cheap Prepay Gas & Elec

To discuss or ask a question about this article: click reply
    Report inappropriate posts: forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com

Page 1
  • aberdinah
    • 27th Jul 11, 12:28 AM
    trouble with British Gas
    • 27th Jul 11, 12:28 AM
    I tried changing to a credit electricity meter from prepay last year. Started with an EDF credit meter, changed to BG prepay because they said they wouldn't charge to give us a credit meter.

Once we switched to BG I phoned up three times, each call over half an hour (I think) and each time was told they would 'just' do a credit check and then get back to me. They never did. I got the feeling it was deliberate. I don't think there is anything wrong with my credit check (though tbh I haven't had a look at one ever).
    • weavedribbon
    • By weavedribbon 27th Jul 11, 1:30 AM
    • 126 Posts
    • 273 Thanks
    weavedribbon
    • 27th Jul 11, 1:30 AM
    • 27th Jul 11, 1:30 AM
    I'm surprised EBICO aren't mentioned in the article. to my knowledge they're the only company who have a prepayment tariff with no standing charge. i found out about them initially through the MSE forums and as a low user of gas have really reduced my payments considerably (i'm lucky and have electricity included in my rent so use electric heaters rather then the gas fired radiators).

just thought i'd throw that in there for anyone who hasn't had any luck changing their meters or doesn't want to. also for the ethically minded ebico are the only not for profit energy company which i think is pretty cool. they supply through southern electric but i think ebico tariffs are different to standard southern elec tariffs.
    • cally6008
    • By cally6008 27th Jul 11, 2:12 AM
    • 7,516 Posts
    • 11,387 Thanks
    cally6008
    • 27th Jul 11, 2:12 AM
    • 27th Jul 11, 2:12 AM
    I was wondering why Ebico not mentioned as well

• MSE Archna
    • By MSE Archna 27th Jul 11, 10:29 AM
    • 1,874 Posts
    • 6,140 Thanks
    MSE Archna
    • 27th Jul 11, 10:29 AM
    • 27th Jul 11, 10:29 AM
    Hi there,

Ebico is included in the comparisons so will appear if it's cheap for your area and usage. We are adding it to the table of providers' charges though.
    Report inappropriate posts: forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com

• Mickyfinn
    • By Mickyfinn 27th Jul 11, 12:35 PM
    • 57 Posts
    • 26 Thanks
    Mickyfinn
    • 27th Jul 11, 12:35 PM
    • 27th Jul 11, 12:35 PM
    I would add to the guide that the prepayment meters although are supposed to help with budgeting do allow you to run up debt.

I have been approached with a bill of a few hundred pounds and when stating how is this possible - I have learned that the price of electricity and gas can be so volatile (and more importantly that the meters can be so poor at updating themselves) that it may be billing you at a pre-price rise rate - so less than they should. When the energy company realise they hit you with a massive bill for the difference. British Gas and others agree to waive this as they feel it's their meter's fault not yours so use this arguement if this ever happens to you.

I also use EBICO who are awesome and charge the same price no matter the payment method but beware - check the cost of the energy on the meter against the costs per unit advertised on their website to ensure you are on the Ebico tariff. I have been put on the wrong tarrif before buy the gas fulfilment company Ebico use but Ebico were quick to resolve this and refund the difference.

I'd also add that 2 rate electricity meters are not better than single rate meters (especially if you don't use storage heaters) - I opted for a 2 rate as I thought it would be better than a single one - only to learn I'd save by opting for a single rate meter. If you do use storage heaters the energy companies claw back the cheaper night rate tariff with a more expensive day rate.

Micky
    Property Consultant
    Birmingham, London, Brighton.
  • tabbykat
    • 8th Aug 11, 6:58 PM
    • 8th Aug 11, 6:58 PM
    4 weeks ago I rang scottish power to enquire about changing my gas prepayment meter to a normal credit meter and the lady I spoke to said it didnt matter that I had been a customer with them for 2 1/2 years (electric standard credit meter) and never defaulted on my monthly direct debit, she would need to do a credit check and call me back in about 5 mins. Im still waiting for that call.
    I wanted to get my supplier changed as quickly as possible to change to a cheaper supplier before the price rise came into effect. Now Im considering changing supplier and hoping that they will then change the meter once Ive switched.
    Also if scottish power did a credit check can that effect my credit rating if I were to use another supplier who wanted to perform a credit check first??
  • gallygaskins
    • 21st Sep 11, 11:18 AM
    • 21st Sep 11, 11:18 AM
    I can't seem to access the link 'Fixed Tarriffs & Pricing'.

Need to change from BG - we moved in with the meters already installed and although we've never had them before it certainly saved us going into the red with them last year. Wanted to try Utilita but not in our area - East London .

At least topping up with Utilita is a lot easier - via the internet - why can't the others start thinking about their customers like that - the last thing anyone wants to do is try and find a shop open past 8.00 pm where they can top up on a snowy night and then have to stand outside whilst the meter takes the money!

I was going to try EBICO but the savings would be minimal according to the comparison sites so I'm not sure what I'm going to do.
    • bob bank spanker
    • By bob bank spanker 21st Sep 11, 11:38 AM
    • 533 Posts
    • 1,039 Thanks
    bob bank spanker
    • 21st Sep 11, 11:38 AM
    • 21st Sep 11, 11:38 AM
    British Gas allow you to top up from home via the internet, and provided the electric meter is a KBD style meter, will not apply a standing charge.
  • lucybel
    The information about the fraudulent top ups is a bit misleading - you say the cards don't work but they do - but the fraud is against you and you then have to pay the energy company again because they haven't got the payment
  • louisekatty
    I complained to British Gas and won I called and was turned down because of a low score so I sent an email complaining and never heard anything, I then sent an email to a different department and two days later I got a call from B.G and a rather nice lady on the phone wanted to arrange an appointment for meter removal. I will now be having my pre payment meters taken out free of charge- they originally wanted over 300 to remove them both, the only thing is she wanted me to pay by direct debit which is cheaper anyway, I really can not wait for a warm house this winter as the council are installing a new heating system and boiler. last winter me and my children wrote our names on the frost on the inside of the windows lol )
  • gallygaskins
    British Gas allow you to top up from home via the internet, and provided the electric meter is a KBD style meter, will not apply a standing charge.
    Originally posted by bob bank spanker
    KBD?

I'll have to look at the internet top up for BG.

9.02 am - Have just signed up for the topping up pack. You get a 'hub' unit that plugs into the computer USB. Once you've registered it away you go. No more going out on chilly nights, Yippee! Although have to wait up to 28 days to receive the pack - Boo!
    Last edited by gallygaskins; 23-09-2011 at 9:03 AM. Reason: Update
  • Simon949
    KBD?

I'll have to look at the internet top up for BG.

9.02 am - Have just signed up for the topping up pack. You get a 'hub' unit that plugs into the computer USB. Once you've registered it away you go. No more going out on chilly nights, Yippee! Although have to wait up to 28 days to receive the pack - Boo!
    Originally posted by gallygaskins
    We have been using the internet top-up with BG for nearly 12 months (I think) and have never had any problems with it. Any time I've rang them with a query the home top-up team have known the answer or have actually rang me back when they have said they would (amazing for BG!!)

They will send a new gas card out but you keep the "key" for electric and topping up is so simple. The only downsides to it are you can ONLY use internet explorer to access the top up site and you can no longer top up at pay zone, if you want to top up off the net it must be at a paypoint retailer.

edit - forgot to mention I signed up online and for some reason the sign up didn't go through, if you did sign up online it might be worth giving them a ring just to make sure
    Last edited by Simon949; 23-09-2011 at 3:58 PM. Reason: additions
  • softserv
    Uswitch wine deal - not as seems
    Deal is not 12 bottles of wine as hinted by this sites article, it's actually 60 off min spend of 110 when signing up to Virgin wine club. Check other sites first if looking for cashback etc.
  • softserv
    E.on should be C.on
    It seems that E.on are running some kind of scam to claw money in.

I received a letter this morning telling me that my direct debit was rising by 50% although according to their website my usage was only up by 0.1% over the last year and even predicted to go down next year and I'm already in more credit than last year.

They'd already sent a letter stating that electricity prices were rising by 10%, so I called customer services to find out what was going on and why the rise wasn't just the 10%.

The first person I spoke to said my usage was up on last year, but today's letter was wrong my DD should only be rising by 40%, the calculation had been wrong because I was a new customer of 6 years! - After a load of bizarre haggling I got it down to 35%, but obviously still didn't make any sense but she wasn't going to budge any more (computer says no more)!

Finally spoke with a supervisor who was very apologetic and agreed that the increase should be around 10% and reduced it for me. I pointed out they had tried this on last year and I shouldn't have been in credit now according their calculations then and why did this keep happening.

He then went on to explain that although their bills show 12 equal DD payments per year to cover your annual bill, this is not their policy if they can get away with it. Basically, they calculate your DD payments to try to get you into credit even during the peak months so your always overpaid. He did say that if the credit does get too big they will revise the DD payments down, which is nice of E.on to reduce the payments while they still hold onto your money!

Don't be C.onned by E.on, keep pushing them - in total I was given 4 prices until we got to the 10% and I lost count of the excuses.

Or just switch to OVO as I have today and saved 25% on the new E.on price!
  • uSwitch company representative
    Deal is not 12 bottles of wine as hinted by this sites article, it's actually 60 off min spend of 110 when signing up to Virgin wine club. Check other sites first if looking for cashback etc.
    Originally posted by softserv
    Hi softserv,

The voucher you got is one we send to all customers who switch. The voucher for 12 free bottles of wine is a totally separate offer - the reason you didn't get it is because unfortunately it's only available to people who pay for the gas and electricity by Direct Debit.

Hope this clears things up.

Thanks

Lauren
    Official Company Representative
    I am the official company representative of uSwitch. MSE has given permission for me to post in response to queries about the company, so that I can help solve issues. You can see my name on the companies with permission to post list. I am not allowed to tout for business at all. If you believe I am please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com This does NOT imply any form of approval of my company or its products by MSE"
  • StandAlone
    I've just rung BG to arrange to switch from pre-payment to normal meters on both gas and electric.

She did a credit check whilst I was on the phone with her and booked an appointment for the engineer to come and change the meters. No Fee!
    28 days after the meters are fitted I need to ring them and set up the direct debit!
    Easy!
    Then I can look around for the best deal.

Result.
    • mum14cats
    • By mum14cats 16th Nov 11, 1:04 PM
    • 2 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    mum14cats
    npower prepayment meters
    Hi, we swapped to npower over a year ago on prepayment as we were told we could get credit meters after a year. Now they say they want 60 each meter to swap. I think this is a cheek as we have been customers for a year and we wont pass credit check with anyother supplier so cant swap again. Feel trapped. Any ideas on how we can get npower to give it to us free? many thanks.
  • identify
    I am with scottish power i have a prepayment meter, I phoned them the other day to ask if i could have a credit meter. They said i would have to pay 200 to have meter changed so i would be better keeping the meter i already have.
  • anfa34
    Thank you so much Weavadribbon , I've never heard of this company (EBICO) and am now saving 200 per year, 150ish standing charge and 50 electric with them. The gas is 1p more than I was paying, but that far out ways the standing charge of 35p per day with NPower.
    Last edited by anfa34; 05-01-2012 at 6:12 PM.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

663Posts Today

5,736Users online

Martin's Twitter