Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Former MSE Helen
    • By Former MSE Helen 12th Jul 11, 10:03 AM
    • 2,324Posts
    • 971Thanks
    Former MSE Helen
    'Help! How do I explain student finance to 16,000 kids at a rock concert?' blog
    • 12th Jul 11, 10:03 AM
    'Help! How do I explain student finance to 16,000 kids at a rock concert?' blog 12th Jul 11 at 10:03 AM
    This is the discussion to link on the back of Martin's blog. Please read the blog first, as this discussion follows it.

Please click 'post reply' to discuss below.
Page 1
    • torbrex
    • By torbrex 12th Jul 11, 10:11 AM
    • 61,883 Posts
    • 124,626 Thanks
    torbrex
    • 12th Jul 11, 10:11 AM
    • 12th Jul 11, 10:11 AM
    'Lead Balloon' is the first thing that springs to mind.

Tell them about free stuff for students and how to get cheap beer, that is about as much as they will listen too and try to get your website address in big letters on the screen behind you, they will see that before they will hear you.
    Last edited by torbrex; 12-07-2011 at 10:35 AM.
    • whitewing
    • By whitewing 12th Jul 11, 10:16 AM
    • 11,540 Posts
    • 48,331 Thanks
    whitewing
    • 12th Jul 11, 10:16 AM
    • 12th Jul 11, 10:16 AM
    Sing it rock style (you don't have to be a good singer), and get them to chant lines back.

The key thing is that they remember the website and look it up later.
    When you find people who not only tolerate your quirks but celebrate them with glad cries of "Me too!" be sure to cherish them. Because these weirdos are your true family.
    • JimmyTheWig
    • By JimmyTheWig 12th Jul 11, 10:43 AM
    • 11,863 Posts
    • 11,403 Thanks
    JimmyTheWig
    • 12th Jul 11, 10:43 AM
    • 12th Jul 11, 10:43 AM
    The other difficulty is that 13-15 year olds aren't going to be interested yet. Plus, obviously, half the rest won't be going to university. So you'll be talking to a minority from the start.

Rather you than me on this one, Martin.

In fact, as _head_ of the task force, I've only got one suggestion: Delegate!
    • tgroom57
    • By tgroom57 12th Jul 11, 10:56 AM
    • 1,358 Posts
    • 12,877 Thanks
    tgroom57
    • 12th Jul 11, 10:56 AM
    • 12th Jul 11, 10:56 AM
    My first (somewhat cynical ) reaction was: what's to tell them? That if they spend enough they can have the whole lot written off?

But practical ideas:
    Above are right- they won't be listening to you - but they will pick up any cool new 'places' you can direct them to.
    Website address behind you is great.
    Any chance of getting the QR code on screen behind you? and would it render well enough?
    QR code on ticket /programme / poster at the entrance ?

You just need to say you know a great website ....and you hope to see them there soon.

It wouldn't hurt to acknowledge they have more spending power (directly and indirectly) than any other group except hedge fund managers.
    Last edited by tgroom57; 12-07-2011 at 11:00 AM.
    • whitewing
    • By whitewing 12th Jul 11, 11:25 AM
    • 11,540 Posts
    • 48,331 Thanks
    whitewing
    • 12th Jul 11, 11:25 AM
    • 12th Jul 11, 11:25 AM
    Further to my post above. Martin, you'll have difficulty coming across as anything other than yourself, and that's your greatest selling point for the students' future.

How about getting a longer slot than 10 minutes, having a student band (ie going to Uni, meeting new friends, etc etc) with an issue that they can (cheesily) 'think' or 'dream' your input, and then perform your song/message at their own mini-concert.
    When you find people who not only tolerate your quirks but celebrate them with glad cries of "Me too!" be sure to cherish them. Because these weirdos are your true family.
    • JimmyTheWig
    • By JimmyTheWig 12th Jul 11, 11:37 AM
    • 11,863 Posts
    • 11,403 Thanks
    JimmyTheWig
    • 12th Jul 11, 11:37 AM
    • 12th Jul 11, 11:37 AM
    How about roping in some of the cool people to come on stage with you and do some role play situations. I'd also suggest using concrete examples that the children can relate to rather than getting bogged down with numbers.
    E.g. "Tinchy Stryder (who??) goes to the University of Sheffield for 4 years and then gets a job as a primary school teacher. He'll start paying off his debt after 3 years and will have cleared them 15 years later."
    "Chipmunk (who? - unless you mean Alvin) goes to Cambridge University for 3 years and then gets a job as an investment banker, getting regular promotions. He'll have cleared his debt in 4 years."
    "So and so from Diversity (I've heard of them - yay!) goes into nursing after university and has the remainder of their debts wiped after 30 years."

If you can't persuede them to go up on stage with you, could you at least get some appropriate photos of them (wearing mortar boards, nurses outfit, etc) for the big screen?
  • 2sides2everystory
    • 12th Jul 11, 3:32 PM
    • 12th Jul 11, 3:32 PM
    Yep. The way it looks right now, lead balloon is where its headed

How about telling them that this damned government conned you into accepting a title that sounds like something out of a World War 2 propaganda pamphlet but that you've just realised its all bollox and you are now dedicating the entire MSE website to achieving a free university education as a basic right by the time your audience needs to think about signing their UCAS forms i.e. give yourself 2 years?

Never mind 'Cutting your costs, fighting your corner' which is somewhat pejorative and frankly unqualified as a strapline. Dump that and strap your proverb|alls to something exciting again

Reinstate 'Consumer Revenge' sprinkled liberally, so we continue to know exactly where you stand in this world of corporates without reading all your blogs, then get started on carrying "A Free University Education is a Basic Right" until we've got exactly that once more in this country (in fact I've already kicked it off for you in my new signature ... I trust you might agree it is a Top Moneysaving idea)

Don't resign the taskforce title, just redesign the brief and announce it next week in front of those it affects most. Irresponsible? Says who? Let the government try to stop you.

You'll soon gain plenty of fans on the day ... get 'em while they're young and teach them good
    Last edited by 2sides2everystory; 12-07-2011 at 5:16 PM.
    • kizziedog
    • By kizziedog 12th Jul 11, 7:04 PM
    • 99 Posts
    • 41 Thanks
    kizziedog
    • 12th Jul 11, 7:04 PM
    Oh Shoot!
    • 12th Jul 11, 7:04 PM
    Hi Martin,

Oh dear....rather you than me!

Would suggest you do something first to grab their attention. Big bangs to shut them up and direct their attention. Maybe then something like a known guitarist to lead-in your spot.
    Where you go from there???
  • Errata
    To be brutally frank it really doesn't matter what you say about finance at the start of a rock concert because none of the kids will be listening. Would you have done at their age ?
    .....................I'm smiling because I have no idea what's going on ...
    • whitewing
    • By whitewing 12th Jul 11, 7:30 PM
    • 11,540 Posts
    • 48,331 Thanks
    whitewing
    I don't think it really matters whether they listen or not at that point. I think it will be success enough if they just begin to have an awareness that there is help available to understand finance and where to look it up online.
    • bylromarha
    • By bylromarha 12th Jul 11, 9:23 PM
    • 9,960 Posts
    • 13,248 Thanks
    bylromarha
    First off, the trust organising this concert need to learn the appropriate use of the term "Rock"

I know you don't like music much, but you'll need to get on their musical wave length and talk about the acts they're waiting for, putting them into a relevant context regarding money. Graphics of the stars that've been photoshopped in a relevant way.

Maybe if you give us the 3 main points you want them to hear we could be a bit more creative?
    Who made hogs and dogs and frogs?
    • phone angel
    • By phone angel 13th Jul 11, 4:33 PM
    • 22 Posts
    • 15 Thanks
    phone angel
    Rock concert student finance
    Throw 1 coins at the audience then tell them that's what you are doing if you don't manage your finances properly.
    • phone angel
    • By phone angel 13th Jul 11, 4:34 PM
    • 22 Posts
    • 15 Thanks
    phone angel
    Throw 1 coins at the audience then tell them that's what you are doing if you don't manage your finances properly.
    • penarthian
    • By penarthian 14th Jul 11, 5:00 AM
    • 60 Posts
    • 82 Thanks
    penarthian
    Use their phones
    Every member of your audience will have a mobile phone so use it to get your message across. Have your contact details on display and then all your messages can be accessed by individuals. Offer incentives for their contacts with you, prizes can be in all sorts of forms but maybe a free drink with a code displayed on their phone. Once they have your details they can view them anytime after the event.
    • flimsier
    • By flimsier 14th Jul 11, 9:50 AM
    • 749 Posts
    • 2,094 Thanks
    flimsier
    I'm taking 50 of our kids to this as a reward/ aimhigher thing (actually I think it's 50 including the staff). They already know your role and that you're being paid to sell the new student finance, because we teach them to research the messenger and the provenance of the message. They have already had a discussion (today) about you being a representative of the government, and why the government would want to sell it. As we teach them critical thinking, they'll be discussing what you say on the coach home I would imagine.

My advice to you; stop thinking ideas that patronise them. They hate being patronised. They're not 7.
    • whitewing
    • By whitewing 14th Jul 11, 9:57 AM
    • 11,540 Posts
    • 48,331 Thanks
    whitewing
    I'm glad you asked the question as it has made me realise how wrong my understanding of student finance was. (The weekly email helped too). I have certainly been privately thinking that there wasn't much point in my DS going to university, even though he has a lot to offer. I'm glad that I have had the understanding now as he is about to embark on his GCSEs so before the decision is taken out of his hands.

Yes, get the message out there to families and grandparents too.
    • paddyrg
    • By paddyrg 16th Jul 11, 11:26 PM
    • 13,114 Posts
    • 11,189 Thanks
    paddyrg
    They're kids, all too worried about how they are appearing to each other to see you as anything more than a speedbump on the way to the acts. The talky bit at a gig is always a dud slot, I do not envy you at all. At Live Earth there were some excellent, interesting and slightly nervous speakers - the crowd didn't listen to a word, they all wanted Madonna, just Madonna. The speakers were percieved as an obstacle to get to Madonna, despite the fact that timings were decided long long in advance and show designed with the talky bits in mind. So - keep it short, relax, be natural and passionate but FFS do not try to 'be yoof' - they will be neutral to your message as opposed to hostile that way. And the QR code idea is brilliant, do that!
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

336Posts Today

4,355Users online

Martin's Twitter