Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Pink.
    • By Pink. 22nd Jun 11, 4:19 PM
    • 17,431Posts
    • 40,365Thanks
    Pink.
    July 2011 Grocery Challenge
    • 22nd Jun 11, 4:19 PM
    July 2011 Grocery Challenge 22nd Jun 11 at 4:19 PM
    Hi everyone,

Welcome to the seventh Grocery Challenge of 2011,

If your new month starts early feel free to join this thread, or if you're still working on your June budget, then keep on posting in the June 2011 Grocery Challenge

As always this challenge is to reduce your own grocery budget to levels that you will be pleased with, not forgetting that we always recommend that you stay inside your own comfort levels and take things gently one step at a time. Remember that this is not a competition....it's designed to take you and your grocery spending to a level you are happy with.

If you are new to the challenge I have quoted the advice from Galtizz below which will help you get started.

Please post into this thread for help and advice and support at any time. Good luck to everyone taking part!

I have said this before, but for all the newbies to the challenge;

For the first month I took a guess at the budget but I really had no idea how much I was spending.

I found the best thing is to have a guess the first month but SAVE ALL OF YOUR RECEIPTS (and yes, that does include the ones from the local shop when you run out of milk ), then at the end of the month add them all up and have a look if you were on budget, if not, it doesn't matter because your budget was a guess. For the next month you can use the total of your receipts and take a bit off to get a realistic budget, just shave off as much as you think you can, it could be £1 a week or £20 a week.

If you are currently spending £200 a month don't suddenly drop it to £100 - you'll never do it but if you cut £20 a month off for a few months you'll get there eventually without feeling you're missing out on anything.

You might think you've done everything you can in the first month but someone always comes up with a new idea and, if you try it you often find you save a bit more (unless you are SarahSaver who is an expert at this and could only save more if she turned her back garden into a paddy field and lived on rice ) In the first month I thought, I'm planning meals, I couldn't possibly save any more, but then I started double cooking and freezing, and making soup instead of buying it in tins.

I've been doing this since Feb but only saved ALL of my receipts last month, it has given me a much better idea of where it is all going. Budget for next month is £80 for 2 of us, I'll start on 30/4. I could probably save more, by eating different foods but I can afford to live on £80, I have saved a lot of money since Feb. and I don't waste food or money any more. So I'm happy with my budget.
    For quidelines on posting in this thread please read the second post in this thread.
    For the Grocery challenge Recipe Index please see posts #3, #4, #5 and #6 on this thread.

For everyone's targets and totals for the month please read posts #8 and #9 on this thread.

I hope everyone has a great month!

Pink
    Last edited by Pink.; 30-06-2011 at 10:22 AM.
Page 16
    • Natty68
    • By Natty68 8th Jul 11, 12:35 PM
    • 2,600 Posts
    • 36,953 Thanks
    Natty68
    Yikes just added up everything I have had to buy the past couple of days and to say I am horrified is an understatement Admittedly a couple of them were DD's I hadn't realised were due, plus I have to renew my pre payment certificate Oh and I was a naughty girl and ordered a couple of things on Amazon, but in my defence they were inks that I needed for my printer

Just updated my sig to take into account the £85.42 I spent

Also I noted that I wasn't on the list for my monthly total of £190.00
    Last edited by Natty68; 08-07-2011 at 10:42 PM.

Struggling financially

Mortgage Free as of 20.9.17
  • rosieben
    Natty, is that a typo? I just checked back through and you gave your target as £190

I've put you at £190, but if you do want to change to £160 let me know Just to clarify, I've listed everyone here http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?p=45076046#post45076046 and Pink will update the front page list as soon as she can (see her post #296)
    Last edited by rosieben; 08-07-2011 at 5:07 PM.
    ... don't throw the string away. You always need string!

C.R.A.P.R.O.L.L.Z Head Sharpener
  • Long tall sally
    Hi Just updated signature with latest spends. I have spent more than I thought I would at this point in the month but should hopefully only need to get some veg for the Guineapig & rabbit for when we are away & also some tuna until we come back from holiday but we shall see.
    Come the summer holidays I plan to have a good look through the recipe index & see if I can come up with some new ideas for meals as we seem to be having the same thing every week.
    Hope everything is Ok Mrs McC and I am also still thinking of Spiggles & Hippeechiq.
    Last edited by Long tall sally; 08-07-2011 at 1:33 PM. Reason: Sp
    Grocery aim £450pm.Spent £519 August, £584 July, £544 June, £541 May, £549 April, £517 March, £517 Feb,£555 Jan, £573 Dec, £465Nov, £561Oct, £493Sept, £426Aug,£496 Jul, £528Jun, £506May,£498April, £558 March, £500Feb, £500 Jan, £490 Dec, £555 Nov,£566 Oct, £505Sept, £450Aug, £410 July, £437 June, £491 May, £471 April, £440 March, £552Feb, £462Jan
    • emmad5689
    • By emmad5689 8th Jul 11, 2:33 PM
    • 1,116 Posts
    • 13,850 Thanks
    emmad5689
    noodles with some stir fried shredded veg & chicken, pasta (I found the twirly fusilli ones easist for them to grab), cheese cut into sticks or cubes, raisins, broccoli florets steamed, rice and something with a slight sauce to get it all to stick together (sweet and sour works well), omelettes cut into strips, couscous, pieces of chicken and anything, macaroni cheese

Anything 'normal' really just cut into chip shaped pieces for ease of grip or smaller pieces so they can just grab it in their fists.

Puds = fruit (banana, apple, pear, berries), yogurts, rice pudding, milk macaroni, trifle (messy but mine loved it), custard & stewed fruit/ bananas or small bit of cake.
    Originally posted by greent
    Thats great thanks, never even thought of half of it!! Problem is she has no teeth so things like chicken that she would have to chew a bit are a no go at the minute!!
    To get to Disneyland Florida 2016
    • emmad5689
    • By emmad5689 8th Jul 11, 3:01 PM
    • 1,116 Posts
    • 13,850 Thanks
    emmad5689
    Well i've been to the bargain stores and Mr Ts and have now spent another £98 and have still got a Mr A delivery tonight which should be about £55 so will have spent about 50% of the budget but have got alot that will last the full month so still confident that I can come in on budget but we will see.
    • greent
    • By greent 8th Jul 11, 3:17 PM
    • 8,114 Posts
    • 82,390 Thanks
    greent
    Thats great thanks, never even thought of half of it!! Problem is she has no teeth so things like chicken that she would have to chew a bit are a no go at the minute!!
    Originally posted by emmad5689
    Chicken cut into strips can be 'gummed' - breast meat is good as it sort of flakes off into bits. My youngest was eating it toothless from about 7 months. Also good to flake into pasta sauce, stirfries...

ooh - risotto is another good one

cheesy mash, mashed root veg, mashed sweet potato... runner beans in strips, french beans
    I am the master of my fate; I am the captain of my soul
    Repaid mtge early (orig 11/25) 01/09 £124616 01/10 £104927 01/11 £89873 01/12 £76317 01/13 £52546 01/14 £35356 01/15 £12133 07/15 £NIL
    BTL Mtge 12/16 £69786 12/18 £54829 2019 OPs (#18) £1972.10/£5K
    Net sales 2019 £173.62/£500
    • calleyw
    • By calleyw 8th Jul 11, 3:22 PM
    • 9,140 Posts
    • 16,918 Thanks
    calleyw
    Spent some more of my grocery budget

A whole 98p on two thick cut branded granary loaves. Where reduced to clear. Not bad seeing as they are normally £1.34 a loaf one in he freezer and one in the fridge as they are ok until the 10th (sunday) and then what is left I will pop in the freezer then.

Think that is it for this week. As I am will be eating out the freezer for the rest of the weekend.

I did buy some cola and biscuits and crisps but they came out personal spends. As well a euro lottery ticket. I know I know.

Yours

Calley
    • Chloris
    • By Chloris 8th Jul 11, 3:27 PM
    • 651 Posts
    • 9,422 Thanks
    Chloris
    Slightly off topic but trying 9 month old on proper foods as it seems to be what she wants, shes had jacket pot n cheese, toast, banana and cheese spread sandwich, anyone any other ideas what I can give her as I would save loads on the jars if she wants prpoer food
    I used to make a lot of soups under seasoned, take some out for the baby and mix in some baby rice or even crumbled up bread. Then season ours to taste at the table.
    • quintwins
    • By quintwins 8th Jul 11, 3:45 PM
    • 5,003 Posts
    • 29,347 Thanks
    quintwins
    we nearly always gave our kids wat we had, with the ezception of spicy or salty foods like gammon they eat anything now, breadsticks are a popular snack aswell

i'm off to te$co tonight to grab a few bits will update when i'm back
    DFW £7632/£28996 26.3%
  • cat_smith
    Right guys. I'm clocking out for 2 weeks. Fridge has been cleared to within an inch of its life - any vegetable not running for cover has been blanched, pureed, turned into veg base. At this rate, the only thing I'll be throwing out is a couple of yogurts. Thanks guys.
    GC Mar 13 £47.36/£150
    • cheerfulness4
    • By cheerfulness4 8th Jul 11, 4:23 PM
    • 2,800 Posts
    • 25,240 Thanks
    cheerfulness4
    Right guys. I'm clocking out for 2 weeks. Fridge has been cleared to within an inch of its life - any vegetable not running for cover has been blanched, pureed, turned into veg base. At this rate, the only thing I'll be throwing out is a couple of yogurts. Thanks guys.
    Originally posted by cat_smith
    Ahh you are so organised. I so wish I had it together like that. I aspire to be super organised; I join challenge after challenge in different threads but I have to accept that I am useless with money and I feel mightily ashamed.

I'm already over my budget, although I do have a spare £65 I was trying to keep back, but I've been spending on Body Shop sales.. even today putting in another order.
    I think my problem stems from the fact we were so hard up for the last few years that treats like that were so rare. I've gone mad now and I need to get a grip before I spoil things for us now.

Sorry, rambling and feeling a bit pooh that I can't seem to handle things better. Least I have menu planned for a couple of weeks from freezer, just need to stop buying for the sake of it. It seems a compulsion to keep filling the freezer.
    • millionaire in training
    • By millionaire in training 8th Jul 11, 5:09 PM
    • 5,717 Posts
    • 20,078 Thanks
    millionaire in training
    Cheerfulness there is no way I can feed 1 adult and 2 teens on £200 per month so for you to get anywhere near it for 5 adults is amazing. Cut yourself some slack
    2 year plan. Jan 2019 to Dec 2020- CC and overdraft debt free
    Currently £22,476.43 /£22,900.17. Do-able

February grocery challenge £154.35/£250
    100 day challenge £785.29/£2,000
    • PennyGrabber
    • By PennyGrabber 8th Jul 11, 5:55 PM
    • 1,268 Posts
    • 22,438 Thanks
    PennyGrabber
    millionaire in training I notice your cc and debt free date have changed. Way to go, you!!

NSDs most of this week, and will go shopping on Sunday prob. Just need a few things - milk, bread, yoghurt, not too much else I don't think. Oh, a bit of fruit. I'm sure the list will have grown by then!!

I'm off out tonight for a leaving do, so free food! Yay!

Have a good weekend all,

PG x
    Grocery challenge for family of three - me, dd(12) and ds(11), feeding dp 2 or 3 x a week too. Only food, not toiletries. Jan £87.97/£100 Feb £0/£100
    Frugal 2018 needed! Saving and NOT spending
    • Spiggle
    • By Spiggle 8th Jul 11, 6:06 PM
    • 1,751 Posts
    • 14,202 Thanks
    Spiggle
    pop into your local butcher and make a friend of him Most butchers are very helpful and will show you whats good value to buy .I try to buy mostly from my local chap and he is a diamond .Like most men they love to show off their knowledge so a little bit of eye-batting goes a long way towards getting some helpful knowledge.my local chap will always tell me when he has something in season coming in.Mind you I am lucky as he buys most of his meats locally and stocks rare breeds, well worth cultivating though.Supermarkets can be a bit hit and miss and I would rather have less meat of better quality, than stuff that is wrapped in plastic in trays
    Originally posted by JackieO
    Hi uropa I totally agree with JackieO, get to know your butcher. I never buy meat from the supermarket. Yes, some meats will be cheaper but the quality and flavour of meat from a good local butcher is worth the extra pennies. Often things will be a lot cheaper than the sm, I can't get free range organic eggs anywhere as cheap as the ones from my butcher and they're huge. And don't get me (and others!) started on the amount of water in mass produced meat from supermarkets.

Slightly off topic but trying 9 month old on proper foods as it seems to be what she wants, shes had jacket pot n cheese, toast, banana and cheese spread sandwich, anyone any other ideas what I can give her as I would save loads on the jars if she wants prpoer food
    Hi emmad, you've already had some great suggestions on food. I just wanted to add that my daughter also used to have whatever we were eating - pureed at first then just mashed up and eventually cut small ... Well, you get the picture. It can save a fortune when those jars are so expensive. And chunks of apple, cucumber, pear, carrot etc out of the fridge make great natural 'teethers' to help soothe those hot gums when the teeth are pushing through.

Rosieben you are still a star and so helpful to us all. Thank you for putting me on the list.

Well I did the long list online order today so my total is going to leap a fair way tomorrow when it gets delivered. It'll be around £130 but does include a fair bit of cleaning stuff and stock up too on cheese, butter, teabags, etc. Considering we didn't do a big shop last month I'm not too worried about it but we will need to keep an eye on what else goes out this month now.

So sig is updated to today and once I know how much the total is tomorrow I'll update again.

I hope you have a great weekend and I'll see you all tomorrow.

Take care,
    Spigs
    Mortgage Free October 2013
    • emmad5689
    • By emmad5689 8th Jul 11, 7:52 PM
    • 1,116 Posts
    • 13,850 Thanks
    emmad5689
    we nearly always gave our kids wat we had, with the ezception of spicy or salty foods like gammon they eat anything now, breadsticks are a popular snack aswell

i'm off to te$co tonight to grab a few bits will update when i'm back
    Originally posted by quintwins
    Thats the problem we mainly eat curry, chilli, fahitas or something basic like jacket spuds, we have one dinner a week and she does have that but otherwie our food isn't suitable.
    • JIL
    • By JIL 8th Jul 11, 8:09 PM
    • 4,264 Posts
    • 23,476 Thanks
    JIL
    Hi again all. was just wondering if I can pick your brains.. I am trying to get into the habit of more baking and cooking of deserts for my lot who are pud lovers (and I don't like keep buying the ready stuff all the time) have had some success but I want to be able to just bung some cakes in the oven like a lot of people on here seem to do rather than make a big deal of it iyswim.. anyway am wanting to get a recipe for chocolate cake that I can either do in a round tin or maybe in a fairy cake tin. Can any of you give me any ideas? I have searched a bit around the net and on here but there seem to be so many different variations...

Any recipes/tips would be appreciated
    Originally posted by 69chick
    i cannot take credit for this but a lady i worked with gave me a great recipe for sponge pudding, that was cooked in the microwave.

4 oz self-raising flour
    2 oz shredded suet (i use the vege lower fat version)
    2 oz caster sugar
    1 egg
    4 tbsp milk
    2 drops vanilla essence

grease a microwaveable bowl.
    Mix the flour, suet and sugar together to a smooth batter then add the egg, water, milk and vanilla essence.
    Spoon the mixture into the bowl.
    Cover the basin with cling film and cook at max based on 700w for 2 minutes.
    Remove the cling film and cook for a further 2 minutes.
    turn out and serve.

another really nice way to cook it is to put golden syrup in the bowl before adding the batter mix.
    you can also replace a spoon of the flour with cocoa for a chocolate pudding. you can add fruit for spotted !!!!, ginger and black treacle etc.
    • JIL
    • By JIL 8th Jul 11, 8:14 PM
    • 4,264 Posts
    • 23,476 Thanks
    JIL
    Also whilst on the subject of chocolate this is fab http://www.lifestylefood.com.au/recipes/34/chocolate-selfsaucing-pudding it is a self saucing chocolate pudding.

and heres a banana and butterscotch pudding http://uktv.co.uk/food/recipe/aid/516685

They both have a sauce layer at the bottom of the pudding and are easy to make, dont take loads of ingredients and impressive.
    Last edited by JIL; 08-07-2011 at 8:19 PM.
    • sprozza
    • By sprozza 8th Jul 11, 8:22 PM
    • 21 Posts
    • 335 Thanks
    sprozza
    Well went to A!di again for my weekly shop and spent £30.30. Amazed at the amout of food I got for my money, a huge trolly full. I also popped to Ice!and and h*me Bargain$ and spent another tenner but we are all stocked up now. Must say that I think my best buy was the A!di spagetti only 40p for 1kg! I must say that I was a little nervous about commiting to only £200 for july but I am feeling quite confident now
    Debt free since 2017

G/C Sept £207.83/£300
    • TizerCat
    • By TizerCat 8th Jul 11, 9:32 PM
    • 473 Posts
    • 1,903 Thanks
    TizerCat
    Hello Rosieben and Pink-winged, please can sign off this week with a total of £14.92 so 8p under my target of £15 this week

Would of done even better but gave into sausage and chips takeaway earlier in the week and a bar of chocolate today

Can you put me down for £45 for next week please. I have 2 students arriving Sunday who need to be fed. Am going to try the menu planner from the Feed a family cheaply site on here.

Have been to $sd$ and done the weeks shopping Total spent £24.86 so far

£20.14 left for anything I've forgot

TC
    Last edited by TizerCat; 08-07-2011 at 9:56 PM. Reason: added up receipt wrong!
    Debt at LBM 27 Sept 2010 £40,640.17 Debt now £1700 on one credit card 0% and £4,000 on an Ikea kitchen 0%

Make £10 a day in Oct £235.88/£260 NSD's in OCT 1/15
    • Natty68
    • By Natty68 8th Jul 11, 10:43 PM
    • 2,600 Posts
    • 36,953 Thanks
    Natty68
    Natty, is that a typo? I just checked back through and you gave your target as £190

I've put you at £190, but if you do want to change to £160 let me know
    Originally posted by rosieben
    Hi hon, gawd knows what I was thinking when I put £160..lol. It is definately £190.. Although the rate I am spending at the moment it could be nill...

Sorry for confusing you xxx

Struggling financially

Mortgage Free as of 20.9.17
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

770Posts Today

6,986Users online

Martin's Twitter