Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
Page 1
    • Reaper
    • By Reaper 7th Jul 11, 10:22 AM
    • 6,482 Posts
    • 4,837 Thanks
    Reaper
    • 7th Jul 11, 10:22 AM
    • 7th Jul 11, 10:22 AM
    If the store offers terms over and above your consumer rights (eg full cash refund if you simply change your mind about wanting it, not because there is anything wrong with it) then I see no reason why they can't withdraw these as they see fit. As far as I can see they would be perfectly entitled to withdraw them from discounted faulty goods.

Only the statutory rights cannot be withdrawn. Perhaps this is the source of confusion for those working in stores.
    • dazza.mk
    • By dazza.mk 7th Jul 11, 12:30 PM
    • 1,856 Posts
    • 1,164 Thanks
    dazza.mk
    • 7th Jul 11, 12:30 PM
    • 7th Jul 11, 12:30 PM
    If the store offers terms over and above your consumer rights (eg full cash refund if you simply change your mind about wanting it, not because there is anything wrong with it) then I see no reason why they can't withdraw these as they see fit. As far as I can see they would be perfectly entitled to withdraw them from discounted faulty goods.

Only the statutory rights cannot be withdrawn. Perhaps this is the source of confusion for those working in stores.
    Originally posted by Reaper
    They could, as long as the consumer is adequately informed at the point of purchase that the item is excluded from their xyz guarantee (store terms)
    • Mobeer
    • By Mobeer 7th Jul 11, 6:34 PM
    • 1,778 Posts
    • 4,438 Thanks
    Mobeer
    • 7th Jul 11, 6:34 PM
    • 7th Jul 11, 6:34 PM
    "If you accept a discount for a specific fault, then it’s just that fault you can’t return it for"

I thought this was still true regardless of the first condition you applied, as in if you are told about a specific fault and buy the item anyway at the original price, then "it’s just that fault you can’t return it for". You seem to suggest that if the buyer refuses a discount, then the item can be returned on the basis of the fault that the buyer was informed about before purchase?
  • Premier
    • 10th Jul 11, 9:28 AM
    • 10th Jul 11, 9:28 AM
    "If you accept a discount for a specific fault, then it’s just that fault you can’t return it for"

I thought this was still true regardless of the first condition you applied, as in if you are told about a specific fault and buy the item anyway at the original price, then "it’s just that fault you can’t return it for". You seem to suggest that if the buyer refuses a discount, then the item can be returned on the basis of the fault that the buyer was informed about before purchase?
    Originally posted by Mobeer
    I expect that MSE Martin was assuming that no MSE'er would ever pay full price for a known fault item.

This article essentially explains the differing rights between known faults and non-known faults at point of sale.
    "Now to trolling as a concept. .... Personally, I've always found it a little sad that people choose to spend such a large proportion of their lives in this way but they do, and we have to deal with it." - MSE Forum Manager 6th July 2010
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

125Posts Today

1,213Users online

Martin's Twitter