Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • cw18
    • By cw18 1st Apr 11, 6:31 AM
    • 8,037Posts
    • 85,939Thanks
    cw18
    Frugal Living Challenge 2011 - part 2
    • 1st Apr 11, 6:31 AM
    Frugal Living Challenge 2011 - part 2 1st Apr 11 at 6:31 AM
    The following has been lifted from the first thread of the 2010 challenge - I felt that what Frugaldom (the originator of this challenge) had said covered everything I needed to cover as the current caretaker of the challenge

The following links will take you to all the previous challenge threads

Part 1 - January to March 2011

Introduction to 2010 Frugal Living Challenge
    Part 1 - January to March 2010
    Part 2 - April to June 2010

Part 1 - January to March 2009
    Part 2 - April to June 2009
    Part 3 - July to September 2009
    Part 4 - October to December 2009

Part 1 - January to March 2008
    Part 2 - April to June 2008
    Part 3 - July to September 2008
    Part 4 - October to December 2008

IMPORTANT
    Please respect others' lifestyles and beliefs. We are not here to judge, we are here to support. Thank you

The challenge is about living a frugal lifestyle - establishing your true cost of living, sticking to your budget, clearing any debts and making savings wherever and however you can to enable you to live the life you really want.

Frugal living isn't for everyone, but everyone is welcome to join us. Methods employed by our merry band of frugalers include batch cooking, stockpiling, preserving, foraging, mending, shopping in charity shops, reducing, reusing, recycling, Local Exchange Trading Schemes (LETS), Vegetable & fruit growing, allotments, keeping hens, using cashback sites and earning whatever it takes to become self sufficient in managing the cost of living without incurring debt. For some it is initially about clearing debt, for others it's about increasing savings, buying property, becoming stay at home mums or paying off the mortgage early. Some choose the lifestyle on ethical grounds. Above all, this is a fun and supportive way to manage your budget so you have control of your own cost of living. It's about NEEDS and not WANTS.

Living on a budget = living within our means.
    Frugal = thrifty, living without waste

Ideas to help you achieve and/or maintain debt free living
    Spend within your means
    Set a proper budget
    Houseshare
    Get a lodger
    Shop via cashback sites but always price compare
    Buy reduced items in stores only if you need them
    Stockpile & bulk buy
    Batch cooking
    Make the most of charity shops
    Join Freecycle or other similar waste awareness and recycling associations
    LETS trading - become active members of trading & exchange groups
    bartering
    Grow your own herbs, fruit & veg
    Preserving & winemaking
    Card & gift making
    Order splitting for better discounts & shared postal costs
    Landsharing, allotments & frugal garden systems
    Free scratchcards
    Matched betting
    Free online bingo
    eBid and eBay trading
    etc, etc, etc...

Monitoring and revising the budget is part of frugal living plan. Gifts & cards could all to be homemade, livestock needs to pay its own keep, anything else needs to be cash neutral.

HANDY LINKS
    (I am neither endorsing nor recommending any of the links provided here, members of our extended frugal community have simply found them to contain helpful information.)

Approved Food - amazing bargains if you don't mind short dates or past sell by – save a fortune whilst saving it from landfill!
    Bite Card - 20% off food at train stations (ideal for regular travellers)
    Budgetbrain - MSE's free to use budget analysis tool - BRILLIANT!
    Carrot recipes - loads of ways to use up those carrots
    CASHBACK - The official MSE list of sites offering the best cashback deals
    Complete (MSE) cooking collection - Loads and loads and loads of recipes
    Crafting for Christmas - homemade presents
    Eggs, eggs, eggs - Frugaldom's '100 things to do with eggs' list
    Electricity & Gas savings - monitor your electricity & gas with the MoneySaving Carbon Club
    Flannel Cake making - unusual gifts
    Food Bargains - Discounted food, short dated and past 'BBE' dates
    Foraging & Preserving - free foods, when, where, what to do with them
    Free crafts ideas - how to make papier mache banks etc
    Freecycle - don't bin it, rehome it
    Freegle - Originally Freecycle in UK
    Gift Baskets & Hampers - an index to the MSE relevant threads
    Gifts in a jar - you don't need a canner for these
    Greenfingered money saving - Gardening & growing your own food
    Grocery bargains - Supermarket price reduction times
    Hunger Site - Charity site where every click counts
    i-Measure - log your meter readings and try to reduce your carbon footprint
    Laundry Gloop and loads of other frugal cleaning related 'recipes'
    Leftovers - don't bin them, get creative, make another meal.
    LETS - Local Exchange Trading Schemes and alternative currencies within communities
    Martin's mad moneysaver ads - a surprising new addition to the site - advertising offers!
    Martin's current offers & discount codes - updated daily
    Menu Planning - hundreds of options and suggestions
    My FREE spreadsheet (aka the SoW / Spreadsheet of Wonder) - where to download from
    Nutrition and diet info, an excellent thread - thanks to Weezl74
    Old Style indexed collection - Indexed collection of links, hints and tips for anything old style, moneysaving and frugal.
    Preparing for winter the frugal way
    Recipes part 1 - thanks to Rosieben on the Grocery Challenge
    Recipes part 2 - thanks, again, to Rosieben
    Remoska discussion - everything you need to know about Remoska ovens
    Rural Moneysaving Hunt - official MSE discussion
    Selling on eBid - decluttering and recycling for cash with no listing fees
    Snowman Soup - always a favourite with frugallers during the festive season
    Soapnuts - The frugal, eco-friendly alternative to soap powder or detergents (free samples)
    Soapnuts thread on MSE - discuss, ask questions here
    Spending Diary - excellent free resource for recording your spends
    Start a cottage industry - the official MSE discussion
    Veg Planner - free printable vegetable planting guide/calendar from the RHS
    Weezl74's 50p per person per day eating healthily thread
    Weezl74's frugal recipe testing thread - Phase 1
    Will Power & Billy Can - part 1, part 2, part 3

The bits we need to include to make this work
    ====================================

Please read the MSE forum rules and help us to keep this challenge on track, thank you.
    If you have any questions about this challenge, feel free to PM me.
    The following is taken from the official MSE forum rules section:

KEEPING THREADS ON-TOPIC

Please try not to take threads off-topic. This can be confusing for new users and makes it especially difficult for people ... Where requests from Board Guides for threads to be brought back on track have not been followed off-topic posts may be removed. We encourage community, but not thread derailment.

Please bear in mind the main purpose of the site is to save money. The forum team has therefore been instructed to prioritise its time on the MoneySaving forums.

KEEPING TOPICS RELEVANT TO THE BOARD

There are two boards provided for off-topic chat and discussion. The MoneySavers Arms has been set up for fun, more lighter-hearted chat (although do still remember this is a family forum – keep it clean please). Discussion Time is for discussion of current issues (read Martin’s description).

If you post a topic that does not relate to the board it’s posted on it will be moved to a more relevant MoneySaving board or to Discussion Time/The MoneySavers Arms.
    ===================================

This challenge is about paying for needs so we can afford to live debt free and save for wants. It runs from 1st January to 31st December 2011. The links will give you an idea of how previous challenges have gone.
    Last edited by cw18; 02-04-2011 at 7:11 AM.
    Cheryl
Page 67
    • redglass
    • By redglass 30th Jun 11, 12:00 PM
    • 771 Posts
    • 8,839 Thanks
    redglass
    just testing
    My ISP has gone all weird so just testing to see if I can post.
    'Whatever you dream you can do, begin it. Boldness has genius, power and magic in it. Begin now.' Goethe

• Edinburghlass

Hosp appt tomorrow for MRI which I'm dreading, will need to be away from the house by 7 (I always seem to get early appts - good in that I get the rest of the day but it's a long way & I'm not great in the mornings so will need to be up about 5am).

Has anyone tried to make catnip from cat mint? I've some in the garden & my cats go nuts for the dry stuff - do I just pick the leaves, dry & crush?
    Originally posted by rising from the ashes
    I meant to update you re my MRI brain scan at the Western. Having had the letter to tell me I was reassuringly normal I had a follow up appointment with the Neuro Consultant the other week and this young lad aged about 16 called me through for my appointment, turned out he was the Consultant with many letters behind his name

I thought it was just policemen that looked young
  • ceridwen
    My ISP has gone all weird so just testing to see if I can post.
    Originally posted by redglass
    I can see ya'
    • tumptyteapot
    • By tumptyteapot 30th Jun 11, 2:39 PM
    • 670 Posts
    • 7,038 Thanks
    tumptyteapot
    Thats great news tumpty did you know that if you are able to claim tax credits you can get the disability element but you do need to work for 16 hrs a week or more so this may give you somthing to look into ?
    Originally posted by seriouslyfrugal
    I do, I get working Tax credits and the lone parent weighting, I'm self employed, luckily as he was off school so much I could still work in the evenings, if I had a 'proper job' I would have been stuffed!
    I can probably get carers allowance too but I think it is a bit of a nightmare to claim if your income is all over the place like mine is. We can manage on this now without the desparate struggle, we are not exactly flush, holidays won't be abroad for many years yet but at least we can afford to keep the car going and go camping :-)
    There are all the knock on benefits with DLA too - the cinema card which means I only pay for one of us, and often free entry for me as his carer to museums etc. It lessens the blow when he just cant handle something and we have to leave after 10 minutes.
    Tumptyteapot

• Aril
    • By Aril 30th Jun 11, 3:33 PM
    • 1,880 Posts
    • 16,730 Thanks
    Aril
    Hello fellow frugallers
    All trotting along here nicely at Gnat Bottomed Towers- am off to do the final shop of the month but is looking hopeful that I might hit my GC target
    No major news except we have a small mystery to solve- we bought 2 courgette plants from the nursery or so we thought. One is definitely a courgette but no idea what the other one is- the fruit seem to be round and yellow. It's quite a triffid already- hours of frugal fun
    Great news about the DLA
    Aril
    Aiming for a life of elegant frugality wearing a new-to-me silk shirt rather than one of hair!

Not Buying It 2016
    • rising from the ashes
    • By rising from the ashes 30th Jun 11, 5:01 PM
    • 12,321 Posts
    • 59,551 Thanks
    rising from the ashes
    I meant to update you re my MRI brain scan at the Western. Having had the letter to tell me I was reassuringly normal I had a follow up appointment with the Neuro Consultant the other week and this young lad aged about 16 called me through for my appointment, turned out he was the Consultant with many letters behind his name

I thought it was just policemen that looked young
    Originally posted by Edinburghlass
    I know that feeling well!

Finally got my MRI results - shows degeneration in my sacroiliac region - they're going to "monitor" just now & I've to keep "popping the painkillers".

Other bad news I had last Friday is that I'm definitely going to need surgery on my foot - dreading it as had it before and it was agony - much worse this time as I know what to expect.

Consultant said he'd add me to the waiting list and I casually asked how long (waited 10 months the last time & was expecting something similar) only to be told 9 weeks

Having mini panic attacks everytime I think about it - got home today to the "official" on the waiting list letter - it says I go to the hospital with the shortest list not the one nearest me and that it could be in Glasgow.

Going to have to phone them tomorrow - I'd really struggle to get to ERI for 8am (admission) let alone try to get to Glasgow by then!

Ohhhhhh mmmyyyyyyyy
    Grocery Challenge 211/455 (01/01-31/03)
    2016 Sell: 125/250
    1,000 Emergency Fund Challenge #78 3.96 / 1,000
    Vet Fund: 410.93 / 1,000
    Debt free & determined to stay that way!
    • redglass
    • By redglass 30th Jun 11, 5:45 PM
    • 771 Posts
    • 8,839 Thanks
    redglass
    No major news except we have a small mystery to solve- we bought 2 courgette plants from the nursery or so we thought. One is definitely a courgette but no idea what the other one is- the fruit seem to be round and yellow.
    Originally posted by Aril
    Hi Aril
    there are such things as round yellow courgettes, unless you've maybe got a squash plant instead? If so, I'm jealous: 2 of my 3 butternut squash plants were eaten by slugs because the weather was so wet and the third one is very far from attaining Triffidhood.

Poor Rising from the Ashes, you deserve a dodgy hug. Perhaps they will send an ambulance for you?
    'Whatever you dream you can do, begin it. Boldness has genius, power and magic in it. Begin now.' Goethe

• Edinburghlass
    The health authority have their own taxi service you could enquire about. The sent me urgently from the Eye Pavilion to the Western and organised a driver for me at no charge as I had taken the bus into town so I would definitely check about that.

Hope you don't need to wait long wherever you go.
    • tumptyteapot
    • By tumptyteapot 30th Jun 11, 6:17 PM
    • 670 Posts
    • 7,038 Thanks
    tumptyteapot
    does anyone remember the website that has ideas for recipes that cost under x amount a week? All I remember about it was that there were lots of lentil and pulse recipes, sorry to be vague!
    Tumptyteapot

• cw18
    • By cw18 30th Jun 11, 6:21 PM
    • 8,037 Posts
    • 85,939 Thanks
    cw18
    does anyone remember the website that has ideas for recipes that cost under x amount a week? All I remember about it was that there were lots of lentil and pulse recipes, sorry to be vague!
    Originally posted by tumptyteapot
    guessing you mean this one?
    Cheryl
    • rising from the ashes
    • By rising from the ashes 30th Jun 11, 6:57 PM
    • 12,321 Posts
    • 59,551 Thanks
    rising from the ashes
    The health authority have their own taxi service you could enquire about. The sent me urgently from the Eye Pavilion to the Western and organised a driver for me at no charge as I had taken the bus into town so I would definitely check about that.

Hope you don't need to wait long wherever you go.
    Originally posted by Edinburghlass
    Brilliant! Thanks, will definitely look into that.
    Grocery Challenge 211/455 (01/01-31/03)
    2016 Sell: 125/250
    1,000 Emergency Fund Challenge #78 3.96 / 1,000
    Vet Fund: 410.93 / 1,000
    Debt free & determined to stay that way!
    • slowlyfading
    • By slowlyfading 30th Jun 11, 7:36 PM
    • 13,024 Posts
    • 75,105 Thanks
    slowlyfading
    Be who you are and say what you feel because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind - Dr Seuss
    Personal Finance Blogger / May NSD - 3 / In pursuit of FIRE
    • tumptyteapot
    • By tumptyteapot 30th Jun 11, 7:59 PM
    • 670 Posts
    • 7,038 Thanks
    tumptyteapot
    guessing you mean this one?
    Originally posted by cw18
    I have said it before and I'll say it again
    you are a genius!

thank you!
    Tumptyteapot

Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

1,371Posts Today

6,892Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • Today's Twitter Poll: Will you be voting in tomorrows European elections? If so will it be for a party you've no? https://t.co/YJ9XqAZ8u4

• This is a very useful and interesting, factual piece about what the PM's new Brexit proposals mean and how new they? https://t.co/qM1bCz6FZp

• After two cancellations, I'm on the 3rd train back from Manch. Just heard its being rerouted as someone's taken tak? https://t.co/sRO4cvoWIw

• Follow Martin